PDA

View Full Version : Post game quotes

E20
08-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Can anybody find any?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
It was all the players' faults. I did everything I could, they just don't care. It's not my fault Richardson sucked, and it's not my fault he played.

-Larry Brown

ShineOnYouCrazyManu
08-27-2004, 05:25 PM
fiba.com/pages/en/events/..._news=3603 (http://fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/olympics_women_04/article_olympics_women_04.asp?cookietest=done&r_act_news=3603)

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Emanuel GINOBILI, guard (ARG)

On their qualification in the final:
"It's our first time in the final of the Olympics and I am proud I am member of this team. I feel extremely happy for our sucess because we proved to the world that we are very tough team. Now we have to rest and from tomorow morning concetrate to our big target. To get back what we lost two years ago, in the final of the FIBA World Championship: the top place and the gold medal. This is what we deserve."

On the comparaison between the NBA title and the gold Olympic medal:
"The NBA title we won with San Antonio Spurs is something very big and it can be compared with anything. But to win a gold medal in the Olympics, especially when you represent your country and you have 35 millions people back home cheering for you, is something really different. The feeling is really special and I don't think I can find the right words to express it."

On the comments of his teammate Tim DUNCAN and his coach Greg POPOVIC, after the game:
"Tim was really upset about the fact he was fouled out and he told me it's very difficult to adjust to the different rules, but he congratulated me and he wished me luck. Greg is my guy. He approached and he told me that I had great game and that he is proud of me. I love him to death and I owe him so much for the kind of player I am at the moment. He taught me lots of things in San Antonio."

Press conference quotes:

Greg POPOVIC – USA assistant coach

On Ginobili:
"Ginobili is a fine person and a very good player. I am happy about him and his team. They deserved to win. It doesn't diminish how hard we tried. We tried to be the best team we could possibly be. These guys have done a wonderful job, trying to get better day-by-day and game-by-game. Argentina played better than we did today and that's the bottom line".

On Argentina:
"Their execution showed the many years the played together. They shot the ball particularly well and that helped them to get the victory".

On the preparation before the game:
"We were ready. Just because a team loses that doesn't mean that it wasn't ready. All the time people are ready to blame and not to give credit to another team. A lot of people think it is amazing that we lost to Italy or somebody else. People will say the players this, and the coaches that, but this is childish. We have to give credit to the rest of the world. It was Argentina tonight, but that doesn't mean that we have to shoot our players. They tried to be the best they can. That's what we are and we got beat".

On the players:
"People in USA do not understand how difficult this tournament was. I think that a lot of fans in USA still think it is still 1992 and we can beat everybody by 40 points. That's not the case anymore. We all know that. It just bothers me that this group of guys is going to be hit a certain way because they didn't win the gold medal. These guys worked just as hard or even harder than any other group. The competition is much better and you are not going to win every game, every time. The fact is that these guys deserves better. Everyone that is here volunteered and worked very hard to be here".

Carmello ANTHONY (USA), Forward

On the result of the game:
"It is clear. They were better than us and we must take our hat to them but we know that we can beat this team".

Emeka OKAFOR (USA), Forward

On the feelings after the defeat:
"We are very disappointed because we came here to win the gold medal. Its hard to believe that we will play for the bronze".

On the crowd cheers:
"When I am on the bench I don't hear the crowd. I try to help my team cheering for my teammates and hearing only the coach."

Ruben WOLKOWYSKI (ARG), Forward

On Argentina's victory:
"We were sure that we could manage it. And we did it. But, we don't have to celebrate since tomorrow we play the most important game of my team and we have to focus on it. Of course, our happiness has no limits."

Juan Ignacio SANCHEZ (ARG), Guard

On Argentina's opponent:
"Americans are always saying that they have the best team. But they have to prove it inside the court."

On his team's secret:
"We are all friends. The atmosphere between us is perfect. We play for each other and not for ourselves."

Andres NOCIONI (ARG), Forward
"I would like to thank my team, our fans and of course my family. This victory is dedicated to them"

Alejandro Ariel MONTECCHIA (ARG), Guard

On his team's victory:
"Today we made history. It is a very important night for my country. We believed from the beginning of the tournament that we could reach the final. And now we are in the finals."

1Parker1
08-27-2004, 06:04 PM
I wonder how Tim and Manu felt about playing against each other like that. I'm sure they would say it was ok and all that, but still, you're playing and defending against your team-mate for the past 3 years, must be a little weird. Even weirder for Pop to be watching. Especially with Manu playing the way he was, and Tim having foul trouble.

Shelly
08-27-2004, 06:13 PM
I thought so too, Parker. But I also think that deep down inside Pop was thinking, "YES!" watching Manu play. :lol

Whottt
08-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I wonder how Tim and Manu felt about playing against each other like that. I'm sure they would say it was ok and all that, but still, you're playing and defending against your team-mate for the past 3 years, must be a little weird. Even weirder for Pop to be watching. Especially with Manu playing the way he was, and Tim having foul trouble.

You know I sensed that Manu wasn't really enjoying himself as he ripped our hearts out, squeezed out every last drop of blood, and proceeded to jump up and down for joy after winning.

Manu wanted to beat our butts, and I think the fact that he was playing against Duncan and Pop made him play even harder and better.

And I have no doubt that Duncan wanted to beat the pants off of the Argentinians.

Manu and Duncan were in a pretty good scoring duel in the first half of the game. They upped their game and played hadrer because they knew each other IMO.

LeoARG
08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
I will add something Manu said on a local channel:

Question: What did Pop told you after the game?

Manu:he congratulated me first,wished us luck and then he said he wouldn't let me enter San Antonio without the Gold Medal.

Besides,Pop is right, they lost to the best team, but we need to prove it 'morrow against Italy, and it's harsh to bash the guys that actually accepted to take a shot at gold.The guys who turned the invitations down should be sorry.

spacefish206
08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Manu wanted to beat our butts, and I think the fact that he was playing against Duncan and Pop made him play even harder and better.

So there completely goes the question of Gino's competitive spirit. Somebody was right when he said above that Pop may have been giddy while watching the guy play. Damn, who wouldn't want a guy like that on his team? The man's heart never ages, and is incredibly resilient.