PDA

View Full Version : Spurs (27-9) vs. Kings (25-11)

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Those numbers represent each team's respective won-loss records over the last 36 games of the season. Extrapolate that over a full 82 games and the Kings would have won 57 games and been the 2 seed in the West. The Spurs can't look past this team or they could be in trouble.

My thoughts on the Kings:

Mike Bibby: He's got a size advantage on Parker and can hit the big shots. When he gets hot he's hard to stop. His weakness is that when he's cold, he can be downright icy but he'll continue to fire away. Weakness 2: He can't keep up with Parker.

Bonzi Wells: Another one of those guys that can heat it up in a hurry. He's a great rebounder, and can play an overall complete game when he wants to. One of those guys with amazing talent who tends to play beneath his abilities most of the time. In fact, he's played so far beneath his talent that you almost forget he's on the Kings roster this year. Guys like that can be scary in a short playoff series if they suddenly decide to flip the switch, play like they can, and screw up an otherwise solid defensive game plan. If I'm Pop I put Bowen on him just long enough to frustrate him into a bad start.

Brad Miller: Not a great rebounder or defender, but can dig deep and do both when he needs to. The Kings tend to win when he's having a big night, and he's hit more than his share of buzzer-beaters. He's far better on the offense than either Nazr or Rasho. I'd expect to see Rasho guard him early and Duncan switch to defend him late in games depending on who's on the floor for Sacramento.

Ron Artest: Artest is one of those guys that completely influences the attitude of his teammates, and since he's been in Sacramento his attitude has been to play hard and do all the little things it takes to win. The Kings have responded by being a much more hard-nosed group since his arrival. This is one of two ways in which his game is similar to Manu's. The other? He doesn't need to score in order to influence the outcome of a game. My prediction (hope) is that his ego might betray him in this series.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: No longer on the short list of guys who've gone their entire career without a playoff appearance, Shareef might be out to prove he's belonged in the post season all these years. He can get his points against the Spurs, but his rebounding and defense are somewhat suspect.

Kenny Thomas: Kenny could be a complete bust in this series, or could change the game with his quickness and his ability to get to the offensive glass. Has never put up great numbers against the much bigger Spurs but I've never thought Rick Adelman has fully utilized KT's strengths against this team. Tim Duncan will likely guard Brad Miller or Shareef in the 4th quarters which would leave Kenny to be guarded by Nazr Mohammed and Robert Horry. Kenny although shorter, can outrebound Nazr and Horry and get by them with his speed for layups or putbacks. Horry and Nazr would have to make Kenny pay on the other end of the floor. A possible X-factor.

Kevin Martin: Second year player who's emerging as a pretty good player. Another one of those Kings players that can be really hot or really not. 37% from 3 point line. Has the size and tools to be one of those guys who causes problems for the Spurs, although that hasn't proven true in the teams' regular season meetings. Good on the home floor.

Vitaly Potapenko: Has played a total of 32 minutes since arriving in Sacramento, but expect Rick Adelman to have noted Potapenko's ability to slap six hard fouls on Duncan from last year's Sonics series.

Coach Adelman: A great offensive coach, but not a great defensive one. When the offense is clicking the Kings are a tough team to beat. Expect him to only go seven deep, with an eighth (Potapenko) to be used to whack away at Tim Duncan later in the series. He's going to play his starters big minutes, with Shareef getting the call in place of Kenny Thomas in the 4th quarter of most games.

The Chopper's prediction: The Kings are not deep enough to hang for seven games with a focused and motivated Spurs team. The Spurs will need to play their patented (yet to this point in the season largely unseen) tough brand of defense in order to frustrate the Kings into abandoning their offensive gameplan. I'd expect Pop to really try to win these games in the paint where the Spurs should have a decisive size advantage. I'd also expect him to try to harass Bibby as he brings the ball upcourt, leaving the Kings with a shorter shot clock to get into their offensive sets. When the Spurs have the Kings down expect Artest to try to take the games over, to the detriment of the Kings gameplan, and their chance at victory. I expect the Kings to get hot enough, and the Spurs to let their guard down enough, to win one, if not two games at home. Bottom line for this series: If Tim Duncan can play like Tim Duncan the Kings have no one who can stop him.

Final tally: Spurs win a hard-fought series 4-1.

yeahone
04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
charley roosen of foxsports has the kings upsetting the spurs

mikejones99
04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
63-19 and that is what counted.

ObiwanGinobili
04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Spurs in 5.
I like the kings... excpet for artest.

mikejones99
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Artest is like Bowen and that means he is a great player. Spurs in 6?

ALVAREZ6
04-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Spurs in 5, maybe 6.

smeagol
04-20-2006, 08:34 PM
This is going to be like last year's series against Seattle, although the Kings have more talent. Tough and physical.

Spurs in 6.

Sacramental
04-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Kings in 7.

MI21
04-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Spurs have a bad habit of getting tough teams in the first round.

Sacramento are a Top 4 West Team, Denver were a Top 4 West Team in 2005 and Phoenix were the Spurs absolute bogey team in 2003.

That bodes well, early tests in the playoffs wake the Spurs up and makes them realise they need to lift there game.

boutons_
04-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Of all the recent Spurs playoff games ESPNC had to choose from in this week's replays,
ESPNC chose for Saturday, Suns@Spurs, Game1, 03.

Darrin
04-20-2006, 09:26 PM

:rolleyes

Man, that guy will to do anything to get people to read his articles.

LittleGeneral
04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Spurs in 4.

Melmart1
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Spurs in 5. Tony will do a better job on Bibby because he does not have to be the only one scoring, since Timmy and Manu are coming back to their old form. Bowen will do an admirable job on Artest and our bench is way way better than theirs.

GrandeDavid
04-20-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the Kings concern me big time. First of all, on paper, their starting five looks as good as any team's. Second, they already had played the Spurs tough in the pre-Artest meetings, AND rolled the Spurs with Artest...in San Antonio. True, San Antonio was coming off a dreaded back-to-back, but my point is Sacramento will come into this series confident. And the Spurs have never faced the Kings in the playoffs.

Ain't gonna be easy!

But I think the Spurs will avoid the "colossal" upset in about six.

JMarkJohns
04-20-2006, 09:49 PM
:rolleyes

Man, that guy will to do anything to get people to read his articles.

Agreed... Angry Charlie R has lost the very little that he may once have had.

I rarely ever look at his schlock, but when I do, I mostly click off, shaking my head in amazement that the man still has a job.

Nothing new, except uninformed, bias-based opinion.

GrandeDavid
04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Those numbers represent each team's respective won-loss records over the last 36 games of the season. Extrapolate that over a full 82 games and the Kings would have won 57 games and been the 2 seed in the West. The Spurs can't look past this team or they could be in trouble.

My thoughts on the Kings:

Mike Bibby: He's got a size advantage on Parker and can hit the big shots. When he gets hot he's hard to stop. His weakness is that when he's cold, he can be downright icy but he'll continue to fire away. Weakness 2: He can't keep up with Parker.

Bonzi Wells: Another one of those guys that can heat it up in a hurry. He's a great rebounder, and can play an overall complete game when he wants to. One of those guys with amazing talent who tends to play beneath his abilities most of the time. In fact, he's played so far beneath his talent that you almost forget he's on the Kings roster this year. Guys like that can be scary in a short playoff series if they suddenly decide to flip the switch, play like they can, and screw up an otherwise solid defensive game plan. If I'm Pop I put Bowen on him just long enough to frustrate him into a bad start.

Brad Miller: Not a great rebounder or defender, but can dig deep and do both when he needs to. The Kings tend to win when he's having a big night, and he's hit more than his share of buzzer-beaters. He's far better on the offense than either Nazr or Rasho. I'd expect to see Rasho guard him early and Duncan switch to defend him late in games depending on who's on the floor for Sacramento.

Ron Artest: Artest is one of those guys that completely influences the attitude of his teammates, and since he's been in Sacramento his attitude has been to play hard and do all the little things it takes to win. The Kings have responded by being a much more hard-nosed group since his arrival. This is one of two ways in which his game is similar to Manu's. The other? He doesn't need to score in order to influence the outcome of a game. My prediction (hope) is that his ego might betray him in this series.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: No longer on the short list of guys who've gone their entire career without a playoff appearance, Shareef might be out to prove he's belonged in the post season all these years. He can get his points against the Spurs, but his rebounding and defense are somewhat suspect.

Kenny Thomas: Kenny could be a complete bust in this series, or could change the game with his quickness and his ability to get to the offensive glass. Has never put up great numbers against the much bigger Spurs but I've never thought Rick Adelman has fully utilized KT's strengths against this team. Tim Duncan will likely guard Brad Miller or Shareef in the 4th quarters which would leave Kenny to be guarded by Nazr Mohammed and Robert Horry. Kenny although shorter, can outrebound Nazr and Horry and get by them with his speed for layups or putbacks. Horry and Nazr would have to make Kenny pay on the other end of the floor. A possible X-factor.

Kevin Martin: Second year player who's emerging as a pretty good player. Another one of those Kings players that can be really hot or really not. 37% from 3 point line. Has the size and tools to be one of those guys who causes problems for the Spurs, although that hasn't proven true in the teams' regular season meetings. Good on the home floor.

Vitaly Potapenko: Has played a total of 32 minutes since arriving in Sacramento, but expect Rick Adelman to have noted Potapenko's ability to slap six hard fouls on Duncan from last year's Sonics series.

Coach Adelman: A great offensive coach, but not a great defensive one. When the offense is clicking the Kings are a tough team to beat. Expect him to only go seven deep, with an eighth (Potapenko) to be used to whack away at Tim Duncan later in the series. He's going to play his starters big minutes, with Shareef getting the call in place of Kenny Thomas in the 4th quarter of most games.

The Chopper's prediction: The Kings are not deep enough to hang for seven games with a focused and motivated Spurs team. The Spurs will need to play their patented (yet to this point in the season largely unseen) tough brand of defense in order to frustrate the Kings into abandoning their offensive gameplan. I'd expect Pop to really try to win these games in the paint where the Spurs should have a decisive size advantage. I'd also expect him to try to harass Bibby as he brings the ball upcourt, leaving the Kings with a shorter shot clock to get into their offensive sets. When the Spurs have the Kings down expect Artest to try to take the games over, to the detriment of the Kings gameplan, and their chance at victory. I expect the Kings to get hot enough, and the Spurs to let their guard down enough, to win one, if not two games at home. Bottom line for this series: If Tim Duncan can play like Tim Duncan the Kings have no one who can stop him.

Final tally: Spurs win a hard-fought series 4-1.

First, I'd like to commend you on an excellent analysis. Here are my add-ons:

Wells: I think he'll definitely show up simply because they are facing a 1 seed and because Artest will be there to motivate him, so you can expect his A game and nothing less. Hopefully he'll make poor decisions.

Abdur-Raheem: This guy can be very dangerous to the Spurs in this series if Artest if wreaking havoc on the defensive end, in turn, drawing focus on the offensive end. If that's the case, Abdur-Raheem will get plenty of decent looks and if he's hot....

I think the Spurs will take this series, but it won't be easy. I'm thankful for the extended schedule, affording Duncan and Manu, in particular, plenty of rest between games in which they'll like work very hard.

This series basically will rest on Duncan since Sacramento doesn't have a defender that really matches up well with #21.

exstatic
04-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Kings in 7.
If the Kings don't win it in six, they're not winning.

RON ARTEST
04-20-2006, 10:18 PM
i hate that fuckin idiot. hes probably the most negative writer in the world. but if thats what he said i love him. :lol

RON ARTEST
04-20-2006, 10:18 PM
If the Kings don't win it in six, they're not winning.i agree.

exstatic
04-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Artest is like Bowen and that means he is a great player. Spurs in 6?
Artest is nothing like Bowen. To contrast them, I'll use a Star Trek analogy (Kori, you can skip to the next post :lol) Artest is Klingon. He's full of sound and fury, but always gets his ass kicked in the end: just ask his former teammates. Bowen is a Vulcan. He gets into your head and operates. He'll wear you down, and look like butter won't melt in his mouth the whole time.

RON ARTEST
04-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Artest is nothing like Bowen. To contrast them, I'll use a Star Trek analogy (Kori, you can skip to the next post :lol) Artest is Klingon. He's full of sound and fury, but always gets his ass kicked in the end: just ask his former teammates. Bowen is a Vulcan. He gets into your head and operates. He'll wear you down, and look like butter won't melt in his mouth the whole time.do you think bowen is a better player then artest?

ponky
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
do you think bowen is a better player then artest?

whatever artest's mental problems are, it goes without saying that artest is a better all-around player than bowen (i am being completely unbiased in this opinion)

Sacramental
04-20-2006, 11:30 PM
actually, if you check the numbers, shareef plays duncan well.

Sense
04-20-2006, 11:35 PM

Not in the playoffs....

Shareef has never been to a playoff game.... look for a big awakening as he faces Duncan.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-21-2006, 11:43 AM

I don't think Shareef can hang with a healthy Duncan. Shareef is basically a big three.

Artest's ability to lock guys down worries me more than the Duncan/Shareef matchup.

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
The only reason to put the Kings over the Spurs was their last meeting, which was the 2nd night of a back2back with the previous game being @Utah.

If it was a 5 game series, I could maybe see the rationale for the upset. Not in 7, especially not with 4 of the games played after 2 full days' rest.

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:57 AM
The Kings are a poor imitation of the Nash/Stoudemire Suns of last year's postseason.

Spurs in 5, if that.

ducks
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
what would the spurs record be in those games had they had a competly healthy manu and duncan ?

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Who the fuck is Mike Bibby? Is he that dude that's 1% black?

himat
04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Mike Bibby=Tony Parker: Both will neutralize each other, but sac can rely on him more down the stretch since he has a better jumper than TP.

Manu>Wells: Manu will make bonzi work on D, but so will wells. he posts up and can shoot.

Ron>Bowen: Both are top defenders, but artest has a better offensive game.

Tim Duncan>Shareef: Shareef is old now and Duncan will have the advantage.

Nazr>Miller: I said it. Nazr will do dirty work that won't show up on the boxscore, but it will help the spurs to wins.

Spurs in 5 or 6.

kalikot_boy_kr
04-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Spurs Will Suck 4..believed Me.

kalikot_boy_kr
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Artist Is Artist. Bibby Is Bibby. Name It! It Doesnt Mattaaaahhhh!lol

Solid D
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Nice work, Chopper!

I've mentioned this before but the Kings have several players who have hurt the Spurs in the past for various reasons. Bonzi, SAR, Bibby, KT on the boards, with hustle and decent post defense, Artest, even Brad Miller from the outside. Actually, Brad in more ways than one, since Brad's inadvertent elbow to TP's head created a nice little scar to remember him by.

When the Kings lift their players, spread the floor, and iso - they can really slice up the Spurs offensively.

Defensively, the only way the Kings can stymie the Spurs is by dropping everyone down to form a box around the lane. The Spurs have to hit from the outside when they do that and then everything works out. If they don't hit their outside shots, TP and Manu will struggle on penetrations because of the smart, active hands of Wells, Artest and Bibby. They are waaaayyyy better than average at digging out loose balls.

Vashner
04-22-2006, 08:07 PM
When the Kings lift their players, spread the floor, and iso - they can really slice up the Spurs offensively.

Are you on crack? Just curious I would call a rehab and check in if I where you.

Solid D
04-22-2006, 08:14 PM
No. It's true and they've shown that in previous games. Today's game was a bit out of the norm...to the Spurs' delight.

The Spurs hit their outside shots. In fact the 70% shooting in the first half included many, many outside shots. What is wrong with what I said?

yeahone
04-22-2006, 08:14 PM
spurs in 5

Vashner
04-22-2006, 08:22 PM
No. It's true and they've shown that in previous games. Today's game was a bit out of the norm...to the Spurs' delight.

The Spurs hit their outside shots. In fact the 70% shooting in the first half included many, many outside shots. What is wrong with what I said?
Yea I was just sarcasm uh. Should of done it in blue?

Solid D
04-22-2006, 08:26 PM
You got me. I haven't tried T Park's blue lettering system yet. I'll have to work that in some, also.

Vashner
04-22-2006, 08:28 PM
It's like when you win a big game you burn cars and tear down street signs. Just on the internet.