PDA

View Full Version : Refs were pussies back then

E20
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Wow, Robert Parish gives Bill Laimbeer a shot to the face then a driving forearm that sent him to the ground. The refs call a foul on Cedric Maxwell, who was standing 5 feet from the incident. :wtf And people complain about the refs now-a-days.

ponky
04-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Uh, errr, I complain about the refs these days because they call EVERYTHING, ticky-tack fouls, small bumps, they get in the way too much. Back in the day, they knew how to stay out of the way...this game is for ballers not refs. Laimbeer was not a cry baby whiner to the refs the way some players are these days when they don't get a call, Laimbeer would just go at the guy hard on the next play. Laimbeer was no angel (why do u think they were called the *bad boys*) but I love his style.

E20
04-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Uh, errr, I complain about the refs these days because they call EVERYTHING, ticky-tack fouls, small bumps, they get in the way too much. Back in the day, they knew how to stay out of the way...this game is for ballers not refs.
With me it goes both ways. I hate it when they don't call obvious fouls and I hate it when they call retard fouls.

ponky
04-20-2006, 11:17 PM
With me it goes both ways. I hate it when they don't call obvious fouls and I hate it when they call retard fouls.

I'd rather they just call less of everything, but I generally agree with you.

timvp
04-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Laimbeer was not a cry baby whiner to the refs

:lmao

kris
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Uh, errr, I complain about the refs these days because they call EVERYTHING, ticky-tack fouls, small bumps, they get in the way too much. Back in the day, they knew how to stay out of the way...this game is for ballers not refs. Laimbeer was not a cry baby whiner to the refs the way some players are these days when they don't get a call, Laimbeer would just go at the guy hard on the next play. Laimbeer was no angel (why do u think they were called the *bad boys*) but I love his style.

Do you know what the earth is?

Bloodline666
04-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Refs are generally stupid nowadays. I find it a double-standard that the refs can call a foul for a simple hand-check, yet call the foul the other way when an offensive player, with ball in hand, bumps his own body into his defender while in the act of attempting a shot. I also find it absurd that some refs don't know the difference between a blocking foul and a charging foul.

Darrin
04-21-2006, 01:07 AM
I'm amazed that it's 2006, 19 years after this incident, and it's the first you have heard of it. Where do you think the Pistons learned how to be dirty? The Boston Celtics. Before they kept losing, they were a fun-and-gun team like the Denver Nuggets. They learned that in order to win, they had to be more conventional; play like the Celtics.

The reason people called the Pistons bad guys is because they saw them as a bunch of no-talent hacks and so they searched for an excuse as to why they could win over the vaunted Celtics history and the Lakers flash and splash - they resorted to cheating. The Pistons ran with it because they realized they had to make themselves marketable. The media gave the Pistons a black hat, and they wore it with pride. That's the story of the Bad Boys.

As for Laimbeer, he would cry about fouls. He would push someone in the back, watch them crash to the floor out of bounds, hear the whistle, turn to the refs and give them an exaserpated "What?!?"

What's more amazing is that Robert Parish wasn't fined for that incident, he wasn't suspended. The original excuse by the ref is that "I didn't see it", but The NBA had the tape from Turner Sports and did nothing. It was a much different era, and the NBA essentially said with their silence that Bill Laimbeer deserved it. And so begins the Pistons feud with Rod Thorn (he had Stu Jackson's job back in the day).

As with all things, the truth lies somewhere between our individual perceptions.

I correct myself, I can believe you didn't know about "the punch." It's not in the career highlights of Robert Parish the way every Laimbeer fight is in his.

E20
04-21-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm amazed that it's 2006, 19 years after this incident, and it's the first you have heard of it. Where do you think the Pistons learned how to be dirty? The Boston Celtics. Before they kept losing, they were a fun-and-gun team like the Denver Nuggets. They learned that in order to win, they had to be more conventional; play like the Celtics.

The reason people called the Pistons bad guys is because they saw them as a bunch of no-talent hacks and so they searched for an excuse as to why they could win over the vaunted Celtics history and the Lakers flash and splash - they resorted to cheating. The Pistons ran with it because they realized they had to make themselves marketable. The media gave the Pistons a black hat, and they wore it with pride. That's the story of the Bad Boys.

As for Laimbeer, he would cry about fouls. He would push someone in the back, watch them crash to the floor out of bounds, hear the whistle, turn to the refs and give them an exaserpated "What?!?"

What's more amazing is that Robert Parish wasn't fined for that incident, he wasn't suspended. The original excuse by the ref is that "I didn't see it", but The NBA had the tape from Turner Sports and did nothing. It was a much different era, and the NBA essentially said with their silence that Bill Laimbeer deserved it. And so begins the Pistons feud with Rod Thorn (he had Stu Jackson's job back in the day).

As with all things, the truth lies somewhere between our individual perceptions.

I correct myself, I can believe you didn't know about "the punch." It's not in the career highlights of Robert Parish the way every Laimbeer fight is in his.
Um......I knew about these incidents and all etc... I just didn't see the whole game and the events afterward and was suprised there was no call.......

EDIT: This should be in the NBA forum :lol

Marklar MM
04-21-2006, 12:09 PM
As Darrin said, Laimbeer complained when they called fouls on him.

A-Train
04-21-2006, 12:11 PM
My, what coaching in the WNBA has done for Lambeer's rep.

Darrin
04-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Um......I knew about these incidents and all etc... I just didn't see the whole game and the events afterward and was suprised there was no call.......

The point still stands. We we talk about "bad refereeing" or the physical play of yesteryear, this should be a prime example. As important as me saying "shot on Ehlo." But it doesn't fit the given character of Robert Parish as a distinguished caretaker of the prestiguous history of Celtics basketball. This incident is as important to Parish's legacy as Bill Laimbeer leading the league in rebounding is a part of his (13.1 PRG in 1985-86).

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I guessed we established baseline ability to observe here.

I bet even the Piston fans are cracking up at that one.

JamStone
04-21-2006, 02:25 PM
The NBA changed with Michael Jordan. After Mike blew up commercially, especially with his Nike shoes, the NBA realized they had to protect the superstars of the NBA better. And, starting in the early 1990s, the referees had to start protecting Jordan, because the Pistons played dirty defense on him.

Duff McCartney
04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
It's interesting to watch these games. Especially when you see who was with what team and where they are now.

E20
04-21-2006, 07:58 PM
It's interesting to watch these games. Especially when you see who was with what team and where they are now.
I know what you mean. Chris Webber, Avery Johnson, Chris Mullin, Sprewell and Donnie Nelson all on Golden State.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 08:02 PM
The NBA changed with Michael Jordan. After Mike blew up commercially, especially with his Nike shoes, the NBA realized they had to protect the superstars of the NBA better. And, starting in the early 1990s, the referees had to start protecting Jordan, because the Pistons played dirty defense on him.
Don't forget Barkley and Mahorn. They pioneered the "knock Jordan on his ass" style of defense.

ponky
04-21-2006, 08:26 PM

HAHA, I stepped into that one...What I SHOULD have said was that he still played hard and was prone to doing the same shit he was whining about. My bad!!!

Marklar MM
04-21-2006, 08:55 PM
HAHA, I stepped into that one...What I SHOULD have said was that he still played hard and was prone to doing the same shit he was whining about. My bad!!!

Laimbeer would whine about the shit he was doing. Any foul called on him, he acted like the perfect angel.