PDA

View Full Version : CNNSi : Spurs in 6

milkyway21
04-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Spurs-Kings Breakdown

Defensive-minded Kings will not be easy out for Spurs

What the Kings (44-38) need to do:

Take care of the ball and crash the boards. On paper the Kings' starting five of Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, Ron Artest, Kenny Thomas and Brad Miller matches up with any team. In fact, since acquiring Artest, Sacramento has gone 25-14 to rank among the top teams in the league over that span. Artest has given the Kings a defensive toughness they lacked, while also providing a post presence who can create open shots for teammates. Sacramento also should be confident since it has played the Spurs tough in all three games this season, losing two by a combined four points (before Artest arrived) and then taking the final meeting 97-87 in San Antonio on April 5. Bibby has been particularly effective against the Spurs (see below), and gives them an ace to neutralize Tony Parker. But the Kings have been plagued at times by turnovers and soft rebounding, two areas they will have to shore up to pull off an upset of this magnitude.

What the Spurs (63-19) need to do:

Just play their game. Despite season-long nagging injuries to Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, the Spurs still had the best record in franchise history. The emergence of Parker as an All-Star has given them an added dimension. Still, they face a dangerous foe in the Kings. With Artest and Wells to defend Ginobili on the perimeter, San Antonio might have to rely heavily on Duncan down low. That means Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic must convert when Duncan spoon feeds them down low, and Ginobili, Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, Brent Barry and Nick Van Exel must knock down open shots. Defensively, San Antonio figures to have few problems. The Spurs rank second in points allowed (88.7) and third in field-goal percentage allowed (.433). They should be able to close down the lane with their length, making it tough for even the bullish Artest and Wells to find much room to operate.

Key matchup:
Mike Bibby vs. Tony Parker

Bibby has a big heart and is not afraid to take big shots. The 6-foot-1 point guard killed the Spurs in the Kings' lone victory in the season series, finishing with 31 points, seven boards and eight assists. He also had 33 and 21 points in the other two games. But Bibby will have his hands full with Parker, an incredible penetrator and finisher who took his game to a new level this season. Parker doesn't need to put up big scoring numbers for the Spurs, but he must make plays on offense while keeping the stronger Bibby out of the paint when the Kings have the ball.

Interesting fact:
Kings reserve forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim is making the first playoff appearance of his 10-year NBA career. He waited a total of 744 games, second-most all-time (Tom Van Arsdale, 929).

The pick:
The Kings are a different team with Artest, making this far from a typical 1-8 matchup. But Sacramento is still too turnover prone, and it doesn't have the depth to match up with San Antonio. Spurs in six.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/04/20/spurs.kings/index.html

do you agree with this article? Will it take SA to 6 games dismiss the Kings?

IMO, Spurs in 5.

Vashner
04-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Sweep...

Time to shut Artest up again for the year.

aaronstampler
04-21-2006, 02:41 AM
I'm not concerned about us beating them at all. I AM concerned that Artest is going to do something completely fucked up and dirty to one of our guys, most likely Manu. It might be a "if you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up" kinda deal.

T Park
04-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Im hoping Spurs in 5.

These guys scare me like Denver last year and Phoenix in 03.

SpursIndonesia
04-21-2006, 03:11 AM
How in the heck Bibby's stronger than Tony ?

Both have the same body built. If any, Tony looks slightly more muscular compared to Bibby.

They're nowhere near Billups, Kidd, Davis, and Marbury in the strength cathegory for sure (heck, i bet Chris Paul can effectively post these two guys in a one on one match).

boutons_
04-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Mike is shorter and thicker than Tony, outweighs Tony by about 15 lbs.

SpursIndonesia
04-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Mike is shorter and thicker than Tony, outweighs Tony by about 15 lbs.

Yeah, he's thicker, but more of chubbylike thick, unlike the like of Billups, one that i can call Power Guard, not just point guard.

NCaliSpurs
04-21-2006, 06:11 AM
One thing this doesn't mention is that the Spurs really need to get back in transition.

Mike Bibby is as good if not better than Parker in getting baskets in transition.

How do the Kings rate as whole nowadays in transition basketball?

TDMVPDPOY
04-21-2006, 07:17 AM
im targetin a sweep

GrandeDavid
04-21-2006, 07:18 AM
I agree with Charley Rosen that "the Spurs can be had"....yeah right! I agree with this article and think the Spurs will bring it in in five or six.

1Parker1
04-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd say 6. I'm hoping for 5, however.

milkyway21
04-21-2006, 08:35 PM
-Sacramento don't have a post player who can stop Tim Duncan.

-Artest's thumb is slightly injured(game vs Phoenix), & might wear extra padding when he plays against the Spurs acc to reports.

-Artest might too busy chasing & roughing up Manu it might affect his offensive play.

-Spurs is now ready to contain them from making 20+ fastbreaks just like the last time they met and lost the game.Transition defense

-Bowen.

Spurs in 5.

Spurologist
04-21-2006, 09:18 PM
It will end in five. six if Bibby gets the form he had against the fakers in 02

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 09:25 PM
The Kings can shoot well enough to win a game if the Spurs fall asleep.