PDA

View Full Version : **Round 1** Detroit vs Milwaukee

Pistons < Spurs
04-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Thank god the Playoffs are finally here.

Detroit (64-18) gets what appears to be the easiest matchup in the enitre playoffs. The Bucks (40-42) are the only sub .500 team that is still alive.

It appears that most 'experts' are picking Detroit in 4, with a few saying 5 games.

Detroit won the season series 3-1. However that number is a little deceiving as the one loss came on game #81 for the Pistons in which they sat Rip, Sheed and Hunter.

Nov 26, 2005 DET 85, @MIL 76
Jan 25, 2006 @DET 106, MIL 102
Mar 31, 2006 @DET 112, MIL 105
Apr 17, 2006 @MIL 113, DET 93

The first thing that jumps out at you when considering the Bucks is the fact that they can put the ball in the bucket. For the season, Milwaukee averaged 97.8 ppg where Detroit scored 96.8.

Leading scorer Michael Redd averaged a very respectable 25.4 points ( #9 in the NBA ). Against the Pistons he was able to increase that to 30ppg.

Every time these two teams get together, it becomes a Rip vs Redd exhibition. Redd may have the quicket release in the L. He is able to get it of so quick, that defenses constantly get burned. Not to mention that he has the uncanny ability to hit the difficult shot....which always seems to come w/ just a few seconds remaining on the shot clock.

Redd is their first, second and third option. He will have to carry them through this series. Always a 3pt threat with a very quick release. Very capable of 40+ point performances. He's also a very solid FT shooter.

vs. Detroit in 2006:

39.3 min 55% FG (4.3 of 5.8 3PT) 93.7% FT 30pts 3.8asts 5.8rbs

T.J Ford is like Speedy Gonzalez on the court. Overall he's having a very solid season. However he struggles against Billups. Chauncey is to big and strong for him. Ford only had one good game vs Detroit this year, and naturally, Chauncey only played 19 minutes in that contest, against Ford's 35 minutes.

vs. Detroit in 2006:

34.0 min 44% FG 71.4% FT 10pts 6.0asts 3.0rbs

Bobby Simmons has been a very nice addition to the Bucks. Adds a little verality to the lineup for Milwaukee. Decent defender witht 3 point range. Tends to be a streaky kind of player. Will often be invisible for 3qtrs then explode for 10 points in 5 minutes.

vs. Detroit in 2006:

37.5min 48.7%FG (2.0 of 3.8 3PT) 100.0% FT 12pts 1.5asts 2.8rbs

I really like Andrew Bogut. Has played very solidly all year. Noticed vast improvement in his decision making and confidence as the year progressed. Pretty good rebounder, with decent post moves. Biggest drawbacks for him will be limited experience and the fact that he is too slow to deal w/ Sheed.

vs. Detroit in 2006:

34.3min 54% FG 36.3% FT 11pts 2.3asts 6.8rbs

Jamaal Magloire is a big physical presence. Good compliment to Bogut. Big time rebounder who can get a little sloppy and find himself in foul trouble. Team needs to try to get him more involved offensively. Like Bogut, lacks quickness to deal w/ Detroits frontcourt.

vs. Detroit in 2006:

28.8min 38.7% FG 33.3% FT 6.3pts .5asts 12.3rbs

While this could be a 4 game sweep, it will not be an easy series. Redd has the ability to keep them in any game. The biggest question is who is going to give him the needed help. Simmons is the most likely candidate as I have no faith in Ford being able to get it done vs Billups.

Look for Chauncey to control the tempo for Detroit. He will pick his spots offensivley, defering to his teamates ealry in the game.

I still wonder what to expect from Detroit. Will we see the offensive minded play like we did earlier in the season? Or will the guys show the typical playoff defense? Will we see the Saunders Zone defense? In recent days I've heard alot from Flip about scaling back the playbook. Not showing the scouts what to expect from us. Today he mentioned that the team still has alot of sets that they haven't used as of yet this season.

Watch the FG% in this series. Detroit IMO has allowed too many teams to shoot well against us. This year the Bucks shot 48% to our 43%.

It wil be interesting to see how deep Milwaukee goes into their bench. Role players like Kukoc, Gadzuric, Williamas and Bell can all contribute.

For Detroit, expect steady doses of Dice, Delk, Hunter and Evans.

Milwaukee rebounds well, and likes to shoot the 3. Much like Detroit.

Overall the Bucks are too young and too inexperienced to handle the Pistons. Milwaukee will be able to make the games interesting, but the chemistry of the Pistons will win the games in the 4th quarterss.

Hopefully Sheed will be active in the post. Hopefully Tay will not fall int o a slump w/ his shot. Hopefully we finish this series as quickly as possible w/ no injuries.

I expect it to go 5. But I do expect each and every game to be much closer than many people expect.

mike detroit
04-21-2006, 12:46 AM
detroit in 1

Darrin
04-21-2006, 12:48 AM
I expect it to go 5. But I do expect each and every game to be much closer than many people expect.

Great analysis. I expect two blowouts, one really close game (probably game 3), and another that the Bucks struggle to stay in (game 4). But the Pistons will win all 4.

I point to the last time the Pistons had pre-season-type rest and ran off 8 straight victories.

baseline bum
04-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Detroit'll probably lose 1 game on the way to the Finals. The east is ass after the Pistons.

FreshPrince22
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
These Pistons always hand out a game or two in the early rounds. They have a lot of fire power. FWIW, Redd owns us. He hit 17 of 23 three against us this year (74%... insane), and shoots over 50% from behind the arc for his career against us. They are bound to go off at least once. Hopefully we can avoid that.

Pistons in 5.

mookie2001
04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
question for pistons fans

what nba PG is Chauncey not too big and too strong for?
who can he not post up on and not use his size to get into the paint and draw fouls?

magic johnson is retired

so...
jason kidd?

JamStone
04-21-2006, 10:26 AM

who can he not post up on and not use his size to get into the paint and draw fouls?

magic johnson is retired

so...
jason kidd?

Jason Kidd is one point guard Chauncey wouldn't try to post up too much.

Baron FATASS Davis is a big, strong point guard.

Steve Francis is a tough guard to post up as well.

Those are the only ones I can think of.

Bucks are a dangerous team when they're hitting their jumpers. I can see a six game series as easily as a sweep for the Pistons.

himat
04-21-2006, 10:46 AM

magic johnson is retired

so...
jason kidd?

Chauncey did say that baron plays the best D on him.

mookie2001
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
ROFL
if we were all pistons fans we would know chauncey is the biggest, strongest, most physical PG to ever lace em up

hes like what half an inch and 15 pounds bigger than parker?

HUGE

chauncey is a great player
hes stronger than the average PG
but all this strength and size talk has gotten old
hes cut yes
he posts up yes

his whole game against SA last year was wasting time, then dribbling around until he got fouled, or wasting time, then passing to RIP until he got fouled

but the reason he has the rep as big, strong and physical, is because he is slow and plays for the pistons

just like white players have high "bball IQs"
and a team with a bad record with more than 3 players anyone has heard of "looks good on paper"

get off it

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Don't mind him, he was dropped on his head as a child.

mookie2001
04-21-2006, 11:07 AM
det needs Lamarcus Bryant anyway

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Poor boy.

mookie2001
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
fucking hilarious
dont worry I wont tell mr dio

ROFL

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah, man, you're a riot.

JamStone
04-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Difference in strength isn't just the difference in weight. Just because someone is 15 pounds heavier, doesn't mean that person is automatically stronger.

I weigh more than most NFL cornerbacks, but I doubt I'm stronger than any of them.

Chauncey is bigger and stronger than the average point guard. And, even if Tony Parker were the same weight as Chauncey, you would be able to tell that Chauncey is a lot stronger than him.

And, by the way, Chauncey is closer to 25 pounds heavier than Tony Parker, and yes that is a considerable difference. That's like the difference between Tim Duncan and Brian Cook. That's like the difference between Ben Wallace and James Posey. That's like the difference between LeBron James and Mike Miller.

his whole game against SA last year was wasting time, then dribbling around until he got fouled, or wasting time, then passing to RIP until he got fouled

And, that was much a product of the coaching as it was anything. Chauncey may be slower than many point guards, but he's not a sloth. Parker can speed by Chauncey. But, Parker can speed by almost every point guard in the league.

DarkReign
04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
I vote for JamStone as official Pistons representative on this board.

Followed closely by Darrin.

When some fool comes with some weak-ass argument, JS always there to nuke em with stats, breakdowns and logic.

z0sa
04-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Chauncey is really good - but Parker is alot quicker. Chauncey is better at three's and shooting period but Parker has vastly improved his jumpshot, vastly. I think they are alot more even than people were saying at the start of the season. The only way we will get past Detroit is if Tim is healthy.

Trainwreck2100
04-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Bucks in three, cause after they win three an asteroid comes and vaporizes the north.

T.F. Storm
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Pistons should win it in 5, Redd will single-handedly win them a game (hopefully just a game) with his insane shooting. I hope the Pistons sweep them so I don't have to see stupid Redd put his goofy finger in the air in celebration after every three pointer he makes for any longer than I have to.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Chauncy is the most unstoppable point guard not because of his massive size and gargantuan strength, but because of his ability to sink a three at any time in any game, under any situations, and from anywhere up to 3 feet beyond the 3 point line.

The pistons could have won 80 games this season if Chauncy had just taken more threes in the games they ended up losing.

Marklar MM
04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5521436

Here's how the lesser teams can beat the better teams.

No. 1 Detroit vs. No. 8 Milwaukee

The Bucks' chances to upset the Pistons are extremely limited. In fact, all of the following must transpire for what would be a stunning upset:

-Michael Redd must average 50 ppg.

-Bobby Simmons must average 30 ppg.

-T. J. Ford must average 20 ppg.

-The entire Pistons starting five must be kidnapped and be MIA for the duration.

Darrin
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Did you say that Miami has to kidnap the Piston starting five? :lol

JamStone
04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Chauncy is the most unstoppable point guard not because of his massive size and gargantuan strength, but because of his ability to sink a three at any time in any game, under any situations, and from anywhere up to 3 feet beyond the 3 point line.

The pistons could have won 80 games this season if Chauncy had just taken more threes in the games they ended up losing.

The lines are blurred between your sarcasm and your actual admiration for Chauncey. I can't completely tell if you're making fun of Pistons fans or just using hyperbole to express how good Chauncey is.

Even if it is to poke fun at Pistons fan, I'll take it as a compliment.

Darrin
04-21-2006, 05:14 PM
The lines are blurred between your sarcasm and your actual admiration for Chauncey. I can't completely tell if you're making fun of Pistons fans or just using hyperbole to express how good Chauncey is.

I don't see anything of what he just said as a compliment.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM

Hahha, i intentionally blurred them, am not scoffing pistons fans, and am just expressing my sentiments towards your mvp's game.

samikeyp
04-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Pistons in a brutal 4.

Brutal for the Bucks.

Marklar MM
04-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Pistons in a brutal 4.

Brutal for the Bucks.

We'll send you some venison...Yum yum. If we run out of venison from our Milwaukee Bucks, we can always stop along the way and pick up some Indiana/Michigan or some other states roadkill deer.

mike detroit
04-23-2006, 06:36 AM
ROFL
if we were all pistons fans we would know chauncey is the biggest, strongest, most physical PG to ever lace em up

hes like what half an inch and 15 pounds bigger than parker?

HUGE

chauncey is a great player
hes stronger than the average PG
but all this strength and size talk has gotten old
hes cut yes
he posts up yes

but the reason he has the rep as big, strong and physical, is because he is slow and plays for the pistons

just like white players have high "bball IQs"
and a team with a bad record with more than 3 players anyone has heard of "looks good on paper"

get off it

oh i see, chauncey billups is just a metaphor for you being racist. cool.