PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan: We've got the winners

Kori Ellis
04-21-2006, 01:40 AM
We've got the winners
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider

It was well past midnight on the East Coast by the time all the NBA playoff matchups were finally set, and now there will be just two short days of downtime before the real season gets started.
The defending champion San Antonio Spurs will go up against Ron Artest and the Sacramento Kings, who won't be a pushover if their 10-point victory on the Spurs' home court just two weeks ago was any kind of a preview.

The defending Eastern Conference champion Detroit Pistons will get an opponent, the Milwaukee Bucks, generally regarded as the postseason's most legitimate pushover candidate, although the Bucks took the Pistons to overtime in their first visit of the season to The Palace and were up by 17 in the third quarter of their second visit before crumbling down the stretch.

The East playoffs will have three heavy favorites -- Detroit over Milwaukee, Miami over Chicago and New Jersey over Indiana -- along with one series that should be more of a toss-up: the playoff-tested Washington Wizards vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first postseason game of LeBron James' NBA career.

The West offers slightly more intrigue, at least on paper. The Spurs will be solid favorites over the Kings, and the same goes for Dallas over Memphis, but the Phoenix-L.A. Lakers series has the Kobe Bryant factor at play, and the Los Angeles Clippers-Denver series offers the oddity of the sixth seed, the Clips, having home-court advantage over the third seed by virtue of having a better regular-season record.

"This is the most wide-open I've ever seen the NBA playoffs," TNT analyst Charles Barkley said. "If the Clippers make it to the Western Conference finals, I wouldn't be shocked -- and if Denver makes it to the Western Conference finals, I wouldn't be shocked."

ABC, the league's network rights holder, got first choice of which games to televise and selected Wizards-Cavs for the Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET time slot and Lakers-Suns for the same slot on Sunday.

The playoffs begin Saturday with Wizards-Cavs at 3:30 p.m. ET, Sacramento-San Antonio at 5:30 p.m., Bulls-Heat at 8 p.m. and Nuggets-Clippers in the uncoveted 10:30 p.m. slot.

Sunday's games are Pacers-Nets at 1 p.m. ET, Lakers-Suns at 3:30, Bucks-Pistons at 7 and Grizzlies-Mavericks at 9:30.

Here's the briefest of looks at each series, along with the Sheridan picks (I went chalk, big-time).

EAST:

Bucks-Pistons: Detroit's experience will be the determining factor in each fourth quarter, but the Bucks have the right combination of size, speed and shooting to keep up with the Pistons. Detroit in 4.

Heat-Bulls: Miami has too much size and too good a player, Dwyane Wade, to be threatened much. But Chicago has been playing playoff-type games for two weeks. Heat in 5.

Pacers-Nets: The Nets are pretty high on themselves these days, but Indiana never goes down easy in the playoffs. We'll tab Jason Kidd as the difference-maker here. Nets in 7.

Wizards-Cavaliers: LeBron takes the big stage for the first time, but is everyone going to underestimate Gilbert Arenas again? Cavaliers in 7.

WEST:

Spurs-Kings: Two of the game's best defenders and loosest cannons, Bruce Bowen and Artest, could make this a combustible series, and the Mike Bibby-Tony Parker point guard matchup is nifty. Spurs in 5. :lol @ Bruce being a loose cannon

Suns-Lakers: Kobe Bryant scored 39, 37, 51 and 43 in the Lakers' four games against Phoenix, three of which were losses. If you had to pick only one series to watch, this would be it. Suns in 7.

Nuggets-Clippers: Anyone who bets against Sam Cassell will eventually part ways with his money, although the Clips haven't been in the second round since 1976. Clippers in 7.

Grizzlies-Mavericks: There is no one on Memphis who can defend Dirk Nowitzki, and the Grizz still have zero career playoff W's. Mavs in 6.

T Park
04-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Bowen is a loose cannon???

Interesting :lol

RON ARTEST
04-21-2006, 01:58 AM
Bowen is a loose cannon???

Interesting :lol
i think hes talking about on the court. the reason artest is a better defender is because he doesnt have to sa\lap and kick to shut someone down. artest hasnt been as good as he can be this year because he hasnt played in basically a year and a half.

Sense
04-21-2006, 02:06 AM
i think hes talking about on the court. the reason artest is a better defender is because he doesnt have to sa\lap and kick to shut someone down. artest hasnt been as good as he can be this year because he hasnt played in basically a year and a half.

Ron Artest is not a better defender in my mind...

He's just a retard that loves to play basketball and his cross-eyed eyes while playing know where the ball is coming and where it will go faster than normal eyesight..

And the year and a half thing, was one of the many retarded things he did off the court.... and it was thanks to his punching, not kicking...

T Park
04-21-2006, 02:07 AM
he doesnt have to sa\lap and kick to shut someone down.

Squirrel PLEASE......

Darrin
04-21-2006, 02:18 AM
Did he just use the word 'nifty'?

As far as the Clippers making the second round: the playoff bracket is broken enough they could see the Conference Finals.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Did he just use the word 'nifty'?

As far as the Clippers making the second round: the playoff bracket is broken enough they could see the Conference Finals.

I believe they will.

T Park
04-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Spurs Clippers Western Finals??

Say that back in 1988 and see the reaction it would get you :)

RON ARTEST
04-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Ron Artest is not a better defender in my mind...

He's just a retard that loves to play basketball and his cross-eyed eyes while playing know where the ball is coming and where it will go faster than normal eyesight..

And the year and a half thing, was one of the many retarded things he did off the court.... and it was thanks to his punching, not kicking...
i knew you were gonna use the stupid thing ron did off the court that has nothing to do with my comment. bowen has never been DPOY. simple as that.

Darrin
04-21-2006, 02:23 AM
I believe they will.

A nice softball right down the middle after that Dallas-Spurs series. If they see the Conference Finals, it will be a short trip.

RON ARTEST
04-21-2006, 02:24 AM
im a dumbass......why would you say something like that? i dont think your that much of a dumbass. just a little.

Darrin
04-21-2006, 02:26 AM

I'm suddenly reminded of the Back to the Future II scene where the nameless old guy with crazy hair (not Christopher Lloyd) says to Marty McFly: "I wish I could go back in time and put some money on the Cubbies."

1Parker1
04-21-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm confused. How is ABC showing the Lakers-Suns game? I thought traditionally, ABC showed only the EC while TNT showed the WC?

So what station will all the Spurs games be on?

101A
04-21-2006, 10:17 AM
A nice softball right down the middle after that Dallas-Spurs series. If they see the Conference Finals, it will be a short trip.

I don't want Cassell in the playoffs. Dude scares me.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
I believe they will.

I think the winner of the Denver/LAC series makes the WCF.

I picked Denver.

Rick Von Braun
04-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm confused. How is ABC showing the Lakers-Suns game? I thought traditionally, ABC showed only the EC while TNT showed the WC?

Anything for you dear :spin

Date Game Time (EST) National TV
Sat 22 Washington @ Cleveland First Round 3:00pm ABC
Sacramento @ San Antonio First Round 5:30pm ESPN
Chicago @ Miami First Round 8:00pm ESPN
Denver @ L.A. Clippers First Round 10:30pm ESPN

Sun 23 Indiana @ New Jersey First Round 1:00pm TNT
L.A. Lakers @ Phoenix First Round 3:30pm ABC
Milwaukee @ Detroit First Round 7:00pm TNT
Memphis @ Dallas First Round 9:30pm TNT

Mon 24 Chicago @ Miami First Round 8:00pm TNT
Denver @ L.A. Clippers First Round 10:30pm TNT

Tue 25 Washington @ Cleveland First Round 7:00pm TNT
Indiana @ New Jersey First Round 8:00pm NBATV
Sacramento @ San Antonio First Round 9:30pm TNT

Wed 26 Milwaukee @ Detroit First Round 7:30pm NBATV
Memphis @ Dallas First Round 8:00pm TNT
L.A. Lakers @ Phoenix First Round 10:30pm TNT

Thu 27 New Jersey @ Indiana First Round 7:30pm NBATV
Miami @ Chicago First Round 8:00pm TNT
L.A. Clippers @ Denver First Round 10:30pm TNT

Fri 28 Cleveland @ Washington First Round 8:00pm ESPN
San Antonio @ Sacramento First Round 10:00pm ESPN2
Phoenix @ L.A. Lakers First Round 10:30pm ESPN

Sat 29 New Jersey @ Indiana First Round 3:00pm TNT
Dallas @ Memphis First Round 5:30pm TNT
Detroit @ Milwaukee First Round 8:00pm ESPN
L.A. Clippers @ Denver First Round 10:30pm ESPN

Sun 30 Miami @ Chicago First Round 1:00pm ABC
Phoenix @ L.A. Lakers First Round 3:30pm ABC
Cleveland @ Washington First Round 7:30pm TNT
San Antonio @ Sacramento First Round 10:00pm TNT

SpursWoman
04-21-2006, 10:30 AM

I think that would be awesome. I like the Clippers (except when they play the Spurs, of course).

:)

pache100
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM

http://i3.tinypic.com/w1cup4.gif and :lmao

Ron Artest almost caused a riot. He's lucky he got off with NBA suspension and did not have to serve jail time. And you have the nerve to say "he doesn't have to slap and kick to shut someone down"? Ron Artest is a fricking monster; we are lucky he's not bigger than he is, he'd have already killed somebody if he was. Jesus, are you listening to yourself? :madrun

himat
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM

ABC chose to show some lebron and kobe games. Spurs and pistons will be on espn, nba tv, tnt etc.

Sense
04-21-2006, 10:52 AM
i knew you were gonna use the stupid thing ron did off the court that has nothing to do with my comment. bowen has never been DPOY. simple as that.

I'd rather he be rewarded with a fuckin ring than that stupid trophy....

spur219
04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh please Artest the better defender. He is a good defender but don't you ever notice that he doesn't guard the best player on the opposite team for the whole game. I never see him sticking on Kobe, Allen, T-Mac and so forth for the whole game. I remember when Artest won DPOY and it came up that everytime they played the Lakers Reggie Miller would guard Kobe for the majority of the game.

Artest is a good defender but Bowen guards the best players night in and night out.

Last year in the playoffs was:
Carmelo Anthony
Ray Allen
Shawn Marion, Steve Nash
Rip Hamilton.

You see what Im saying.

SA210
04-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Let me let you in on a little known fact.

Bruce should've won that year over Ron, PERIOD!

After the series, Bruce is gonna need his award back.

1Parker1
04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Anything for you dear :spin

Date Game Time (EST) National TV
Sat 22 Washington @ Cleveland First Round 3:00pm ABC
Sacramento @ San Antonio First Round 5:30pm ESPN
Chicago @ Miami First Round 8:00pm ESPN
Denver @ L.A. Clippers First Round 10:30pm ESPN

Sun 23 Indiana @ New Jersey First Round 1:00pm TNT
L.A. Lakers @ Phoenix First Round 3:30pm ABC
Milwaukee @ Detroit First Round 7:00pm TNT
Memphis @ Dallas First Round 9:30pm TNT

Mon 24 Chicago @ Miami First Round 8:00pm TNT
Denver @ L.A. Clippers First Round 10:30pm TNT

Tue 25 Washington @ Cleveland First Round 7:00pm TNT
Indiana @ New Jersey First Round 8:00pm NBATV
Sacramento @ San Antonio First Round 9:30pm TNT

Wed 26 Milwaukee @ Detroit First Round 7:30pm NBATV
Memphis @ Dallas First Round 8:00pm TNT
L.A. Lakers @ Phoenix First Round 10:30pm TNT

Thu 27 New Jersey @ Indiana First Round 7:30pm NBATV
Miami @ Chicago First Round 8:00pm TNT
L.A. Clippers @ Denver First Round 10:30pm TNT

Fri 28 Cleveland @ Washington First Round 8:00pm ESPN
San Antonio @ Sacramento First Round 10:00pm ESPN2
Phoenix @ L.A. Lakers First Round 10:30pm ESPN

Sat 29 New Jersey @ Indiana First Round 3:00pm TNT
Dallas @ Memphis First Round 5:30pm TNT
Detroit @ Milwaukee First Round 8:00pm ESPN
L.A. Clippers @ Denver First Round 10:30pm ESPN

Sun 30 Miami @ Chicago First Round 1:00pm ABC
Phoenix @ L.A. Lakers First Round 3:30pm ABC
Cleveland @ Washington First Round 7:30pm TNT
San Antonio @ Sacramento First Round 10:00pm TNT

Why, Thank You dear! :spin

ChumpDumper
04-21-2006, 04:34 PM
i knew you were gonna use the stupid thing ron did off the court that has nothing to do with my comment. bowen has never been DPOY. simple as that.Bowen has never been suspended for a season for running into the stands and beating a fan during a game. Simple as that.