PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker, a champ and All-Star, envies Kings' Bibby

ploto
04-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Spurs' Parker, a champ and All-Star, envies Kings' Bibby

Web Posted: 04/21/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

His first NBA season having just ended at the feet of the Los Angeles Lakers, Tony Parker retreated to Paris to rest.

He visited with family and friends but reserved the early morning hours for himself, watching on TV, nearly 6,000 miles away, as the Lakers battled the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference finals.

Parker marveled as Mike Bibby peppered Los Angeles with jump shots. The connection between the Kings' then-24-year-old point guard and his pick-and-roll partner, Chris Webber, impressed him. Webber set screens. Bibby popped open. When Shaquille O'Neal didn't leave the lane, Bibby shot over him.

The Kings lost in seven games, but Parker saw all he needed.

"I want to be Bibby," he told friends.

Nearly four years later, Parker's goal hasn't changed. He owns two championships while Bibby continues to look for his first. He was selected to the All-Star team for the first time this season, a distinction that, curiously, has eluded Bibby.

But when it comes to running the pick-and-roll, to shooting under pressure, Parker still considers Bibby one of the masters.

"He's just so consistent," Parker said. "I still have a lot of work to do to get to that level."

How much progress Parker makes will help determine whether the Spurs — who open the playoffs against Sacramento on Saturday at the AT&T Center — are sturdy enough to repeat as champions. In each of his four seasons, Parker routinely has played well at the start of a playoff series only to struggle once the opposing team gears its defense toward keeping him out of the lane.

Asked if he has something to prove, Parker answered with one word: "Definitely."

The Spurs have reason to be optimistic Parker will be more dependable this postseason given that he is in the midst of his most productive season. Averaging a career-high 18.9 points, he became the first Spur other than Tim Duncan to lead the team in scoring since Duncan's rookie season in 1997-98. Parker's .548 field-goal percentage ranked third in the league, making him the first point guard to finish in the top three since Golden State's Butch Beard in 1974-75.

Only two other point guards with at least 750 attempts in a season have shot better: John Stockton and Magic Johnson.

"He's been our most consistent player and the guy that's held it together for us offensively," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's given us that punch to sustain the record we have."

Parker's ability to get to the rim and finish has accounted for most of his production. But as defenders became more focused on keeping him out of the lane the past three months, dropping off him or going under screens, Parker still shot 58.2 percent. He made a respectable 76.5 percent of his free throws in that time.

"I feel like I can knock down every open shot," he said. "And if I get a good rhythm, I feel I can knock down shots off pick-and-rolls. I feel very comfortable. It's night and day compared to last year."

Parker has worked long to get to that point. After watching Parker struggle in last season's playoffs, Popovich decided to hire one of the game's top shooting coaches, Chip Engelland.

"I thought Tony needed somebody that would give him that attention on a daily basis in depth," Popovich said. "Having (a different) voice, too, I thought would be really good for him. We told him to listen to this guy. Whatever he tells you to do, do it and let's see what happens."

Engelland was blunt.

"He told me I have to improve," Parker said. "That the Spurs have some doubts, that they don't know if I can go to that next level."

Engelland had Parker tinker with his grip to better incorporate his thumb and release the ball similarly to how he shoots his teardrop runner, his most effective shot.

The lack of confidence Parker had in his shot "mentally, has worn on him," Popovich said. "That's one of the things that gave him motivation to do this. He realized that he couldn't just have his way with people all the time, that there really was something that could stop him."

Parker now finds himself matched against the player he hoped to emulate. Jason Hart, Sacramento's backup point guard, played behind Parker for two seasons and said Parker used to talk about the difficulty he had covering Bibby. That's continued to be true this season.

Bibby has averaged 28.3 points in the teams' three meetings. He scored 31 points when Sacramento beat the Spurs on April 5, and 14 of his 33 points in the Kings' Nov. 21 loss came in the final 5 minutes, 24 seconds.

Bibby missed a 3-pointer that would have sent that game into overtime at the final buzzer. He also back-rimmed another 3-pointer to allow the Spurs to escape with a victory Dec. 17.

Said Parker: "He might not have made the All-Star Game, but he's played like an All-Star every year."

"We've hurt them because they have a hard time — and everybody in this league has a hard time — guarding the pick-and-rolls," Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said. "And when Mike's shooting well and he's attacking, he's going to score. But I think Tony's gotten better every year, and he's going to put pressure on Mike at the other end."

Parker, the Spurs' coaches like to say, is still learning how to "mix his pitches" — distinguishing when it's better to get rid of the ball quickly or drive and kick instead of trying to finish himself. No one doubts, however, he's still at his best when throwing his fastball, which he often resembles when bolting to the rim.

"That sucker is fast and crafty," Kings center Brad Miller said. "You just have to play a Steve Nash defense on him and give him some space."

Parker isn't in Nash's class yet. But Bibby's?

Popping off Duncan, pulling up from 18 feet, Parker has a chance to show he belongs.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042106.1D.BKNspurs.parker.1cc8672e.html

This article points out two reasons I want to see Rasho on the court against Sacramento. One, Tony's ability to penetrate lessened not only because defenses focused more on him but also because Rasho moved out of the starting line-up. I remember getting hell for saying that would happen. Secondly, despite his size and less than swiftness, Rasho is still the best big we have at guarding the pick and roll. In the Spurs 2 victories over Sacramento, Rasho averaged over 20 minutes per game. In the one loss, he played half that.

mcornelio
04-21-2006, 07:43 AM
tony better get off that jelousy shit and start kicking some queen ass!!