PDA

View Full Version : This ring's for Nick Van Exel!

GrandeDavid
04-21-2006, 07:17 AM
As a fellow alum of the University of Cincinnati, this latest Spurs championship drive is particularly special to me. Nick Van Exel has never won a championship and he has announced his retirement after this playoff run. If he wins a ring it'll mark the first Bob Huggins player to win an NBA ring. I want that to happen badly. Plus, I like Nick as a person, he's a cool guy.

So I've got some of my Cincinnati fellas on the Spurs wagon for real now. Here's to Nick getting that ring!

Spurs notebook: Van Exel fails to get emotional

www.mysanantonio.com/spor...89c65.html

Web Posted: 04/20/2006 01:08 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — Having already decided to retire this summer, Nick Van Exel had one last request for his teammates as he took the floor for the final regular-season game of his 13-year career.

"I told the fellas," Van Exel said, "I needed to get about 20 attempts."

Van Exel had to settle for fewer than half that, taking nine shots, making three and scoring 10 points in 20 minutes.

Said Van Exel of his teammates: "They held me back."

Though Van Exel was playing in Houston, where he makes his off-season home, he wasn't too sentimental about the game.

"I didn't really think about it much," he said. "I was just like, 'Man, this is going to be my last regular-season game.' That was about it."

If Van Exel sticks to his retirement plans, he will end his career at 880 regular-season games. Now, however, he's looking forward to the postseason.

"I'm feeling a little bit better, just trying to just get into that playoff form," he said. "Hopefully it carries over."

Sec24Row7
04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
This Ring is for Timmy, Manu, Tony, Bruce, Robert and their Legacy.

Everyone else is a Historical afterthought.

pache100
04-21-2006, 09:24 AM

Coattail riders.

Jimcs50
04-21-2006, 09:32 AM
This is for me.

:)

Jimcs50
04-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Actually, Robert Horry will get his 7th ring, if SA goes on to win. That is 2nd only to Bill Russell's 11 rings, so I will be very happy for Horry.

:smokin

Also I will be happy for Finley and NVE, who decided to come to SA instead of Miami this past Summer.

pache100
04-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Actually, Robert Horry will get his 7th ring, if SA goes on to win. That is 2nd only to Bill Russell's 11 rings, so I will be very happy for Horry.

:smokin

Also I will be happy for Finley and NVE, who decided to come to SA instead of Miami this past Summer.

Me, too. I should have said: "Coattail riders." :lol

Jimcs50
04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Me, too. I should have said: "Coattail riders." :lol

Horry is no coattail rider. He was responsible for 3 championships.

1. 1995- Against SA, his 3 point shooting against us and his game winner in game 1 were probably more important than Dream's dominant series in their upset of SA.

2. 2002- Against Sacto, hitting the miracle 3 pointer, as his Lakers were on the ropes and ready to go down for the count, pulling out a victory that was hopeless.

3. 2005- Game 5 winning miracle shot to beat Detroit, giving SA the 3-2 lead going back home, which as it turned out was a very important win, because SA dropped 1 of 2 at home.

pache100
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Horry is no coattail rider. He was responsible for 3 championships.

I KNOW, Jim. You must have missed the thread where we discussed sarcasm being in blue type.

I personally don't think of any of our team as coattail riders...I WAS KIDDING.

Cut me a break? :depressed

GrandeDavid
04-21-2006, 06:53 PM
This Ring is for Timmy, Manu, Tony, Bruce, Robert and their Legacy.

Yeah, duh, no shit. But I ain't no newbie here, holmes. I'm just sending a shot out to my guy, if its no problem for you.

Go Spurs!

himat
04-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Pistons are going to win it this year, and dice will get his first ring that he deserves. Sorry van exel and spur fans.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Cut me a break? :depressed
NO!