PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler will not miss game for baby

Jimcs50
04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Tyson Chandler, Chicago's center and leading rebounder, announced that he will not go home to Chicago to be with his wife during the birth of his first baby, but will stay in Miami, and play against Miami in first round.

This is an old school decision, and I applaud his unselfish attitude, and I can understand his motives, but I think I would have to be with my wife in that situation.(Especially if I had to go against Shaq :) )

What about you people, would you stay with your team, or would you be with the wife?

MaNuMaNiAc
04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
I would go home to my wife

SpursWoman
04-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Deja vu.... :)

Didn't we have this certain discussion last season about a certain Power Forward's impending first child?

:angel

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 08:27 AM
You have to support the family's decision. There's no right or wrong here.

DieMrBond
04-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Family comes first. Even pop would say that. (and in fact he often does)

boutons_
04-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Can't they delay and program the birth with drugs, so it falls on the first day of a 2-day gap after a game? he plays the game, goes home, has the baby, comes back.

First babies are big deals, and black dads who are around and even identifiable at are pretty big deals, too. :)

Spurminator
04-21-2006, 08:48 AM
My opinion is that it's nuna my damn bidness.

missmyzte
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I think the question is what does his wife think? If she supports it, then who am I to say otherwise? I do think down the line somewhere he will look back and regret it.

pache100
04-21-2006, 08:57 AM
You have to support the family's decision. There's no right or wrong here.

Exactly. I would certainly understand if he went home to be with his wife. On the other hand, it's a personal decision that he's going to have to live with for the rest of his life...did he let his team down and affect the outcome of their playoff experience this season...or did he miss the birth of his first child - and you only get that opportunity once. He's a highly paid professional, this is a critical point in his team's season, and I can understand, unless there are complications, why he would opt to stay with his team. I'm sure his wife understood what he does for a living when she married him. And, I'm sure she's used to him being away from home during crises.

I don't have any problem, either way. I wouldn't have had any problem with whatever decision Tim Duncan made if he'd been faced with this decision during the playoffs last year, either. It's between the player, his wife, and the team. It is absolutely no one else's business what he does and no one has a right to judge him on it.

pache100
04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Can't they delay and program the birth with drugs, so it falls on the first day of a 2-day gap after a game? he plays the game, goes home, has the baby, comes back.

First babies are big deals, and black dads who are around and even identifiable at are pretty big deals, too. :)

:lol

Babies come when and how they want and when they are good and ready. The best-laid plans of mice and men. Unless you induce labor or opt for a C-section prior to the baby deciding it's ready, you have absolutely NO CONTROL. That was a true "man's" question.

Summers
04-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Tyson Chandler, Chicago's center and leading rebounder, announced that he will not go home to Chicago to be with his wife during the birth of his first baby, but will stay in Miami, and play against Miami in first round.

This is an old school decision, and I applaud his unselfish attitude, and I can understand his motives, but I think I would have to be with my wife in that situation.(Especially if I had to go against Shaq :) )

What about you people, would you stay with your team, or would you be with the wife?

Just to play devil's advocate... unselfish for whom?? :) I would've been pretty disappointed if my husband had missed the birth of our baby.

easjer
04-21-2006, 09:41 AM
My personal decision would be that my husband needs to be with me, even if it means missing a game of the playoffs.

However, my feelings about this are that it's between them and whatever decision they made together. One would hope his wife is ok with that decision, and if so I can't dispute it.

As for the drugs - yes, in theory, drugs could be used to induce labor or to try and prevent labor, but extensive drug use can have adverse affects on both mother and baby, and often when a labor is induced you can't stop it or delay it. And it's unwise to interfere when nature decides it is time unless the baby is not close enough to full term to live outside the womb.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I think the question is what does his wife think? If she supports it, then who am I to say otherwise? I do think down the line somewhere he will look back and regret it.

I said you have to support the family's decision, which assumes he and his wife discussed it.

We can say he should be there for the birth, and very few would criticize him if that had been his decision. But what if it wasn't the first game of the playoffs, but game 7 of the Finals? Would that make a difference in anyone's mind? What if he wasn't the starting center but a scrub 12th man?

If Melvin Sanders misses the first game of the playoffs for his child's birth, no one would say anything. If Tim Duncan missed Game 7 of the Finals, all hell would break loose here. But should those situations really be treated any differently?

boutons_
04-21-2006, 10:59 AM
It's not a "man's question" at all.

I know child-birth is totally medicalized now, and hugely expensive, so I figured some drug company could have come up with an expensive drug to delay delivery a little bit (even if it didn't work, the drug company gets its money).

pache100
04-21-2006, 11:01 AM

I know child-birth is totally medicalized now, and hugely expensive, so I figured some drug company could have come up with an expensive drug to delay delivery a little bit (even if it didn't work, the drug company gets its money).

Yeah. It IS a man's question. No woman over the age of 13 would have asked it.

Don't fee too badly, Boutons. The son-in-law of a friend of mine asked his wife's doctor a few months ago..."Can't you schedule the birth on Sunday? That's the only day I'm off work." He's 32 and he was serious.

easjer
04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, epidurals typically slow down labor, especially with first babies, but not always. And Pitocin follows pretty quickly if labor slows with the epidural. Other pain medications can slow labor, but generally not as much as an epidural. For women who go into labor too early (term-wise,not convenience wise), there are various medications and techniques that can be attempted, but the success varies by woman.

But no doctor will offer them to a full term woman in labor for convenience. The success of such a treatment is highly debatable and medically unwise. The fewer drugs a mother receives, the better off the baby will be after delivery, generally speaking.

mookie2001
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
some people understand family

some dont

(shakes head)

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 11:20 AM

Yeah. There's nothing but big money in obstetrical drugs that have no medical benefit and have unknown risk to the fetus.

bdubya
04-21-2006, 11:39 AM

If I had an NBA starter's salary, and several days' advance notice, I'd book a suite at the best hospital in Miami and charter a private jet to fly her, her ObG and my in-laws down in comfort and luxury.

PM5K
04-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I'd put it in the hands of the wife, however if it's my first, it would be hard to miss...

pache100
04-21-2006, 11:42 AM
If I had an NBA starter's salary, and several days' advance notice, I'd book a suite at the best hospital in Miami and charter a private jet to fly her, her ObG and my in-laws down in comfort and luxury.

A lot of doctors won't allow a woman to fly at that stage of pregnancy...not even in a private jet...unless it's an emergency (like to save her life). I doubt they'd think a basketball game would qualify as an emergency. Their view would likely be that if the father wanted to be at the birth, he'd make other arrangements...regardless of his team's situation.

CosmicCowboy
04-21-2006, 11:46 AM
He will have plenty of time to bond with the baby while he is fishing this summer.

pache100
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
He will have plenty of time to bond with the baby while he is fishing this summer.

:rollin :tu

angel_luv
04-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I know every play off game is important and I love the team winning championships.

However, I hated the thought of Timmy leaving Amy alone in labor- even though I am sure she is stong enough to handle it and no doubt would have been well taken care of.
The birth of a baby is just something a dad should not miss.

Props to Amy and Baby Duncan for being so considerate and allowing Timmy to make both appointments. :)

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Wow.

ALVAREZ6
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Play the game! :tu

The Bulls are gonna win this series.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow.

Hard to take seriously the thoughts of somebody who thinks it's a cool idea to give pregnant women unnecessary drugs.

boutons_
04-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's "cool" to give anybody drugs, or cut them open, as a "comfort" option, esp for something as sacred and natural as childbirth, while it seems fully 1/3 or more of US women prefer C-sections and/or local/general anesthesia (which of course means serious additional $$$ for doctors and hospitals).

Since I haven't been in the baby delivery business for awhile, I was just wondering medical technology/drugs were now available to delay delivery somewhat. It's certainly not my recommendation, and I am surprised that the idea get such a negative reaction, since it seems a good proportion of women choose to be injected, drugged to sleep, or cut open to "ease" delivery.

My wife had two conscious, non-epidural, vaginal deliveries, I was with her all the way, and she breast fed. She was no hero, just doing what comes naturally, which was our preference.

Commercial airlines, and probably private jet pilots, refuse to accept women in the last weeks of pregnancy.

Guru of Nothing
04-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Let's ask the military guys over in Iraq that left pregnant wives behind what they think about it.

timvp
04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
The Bulls would probably be better off if Chandler retired.

Playa sucks.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-21-2006, 03:48 PM

I think you're supposed to follow a statement like that with, "and my name is Boutons -- I'm a racist."

angel_luv
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
My wife had two conscious, non-epidural, vaginal deliveries, I was with her all the way, and she breast fed. She was no hero, just doing what comes naturally, which was our preference.

Sounds pretty brave to me. :)

ducks
04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
chandler teamed up with duncan for 2 years would be better then what we have now

1Parker1
04-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, it's not like the Bulls are going to win that series anyways, so who cares if he had to miss Game 1? :spin

ALVAREZ6
04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, it's not like the Bulls are going to win that series anyways, so who cares if he had to miss Game 1? :spin
Yes they are.

desflood
04-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Sounds pretty brave to me. :)
I'm gonna tell you a secret... sshhhhh... epidurals are overrated.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Apparenly they work well enough to allow little Scientologist babies to enter the world into necessary peace and quiet . . . :spin

dimsah
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
It is a wise father that knows his own child.

William Shakespeare.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank-account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the make of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child."
-Author Unknown

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Until the anesthesiologist doesn't answer his pages.

E20
04-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Tyson Chandler is a hardcore baller.

1Parker1
04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes they are.

You think Bulls will beat Miami 4 games out of 7?

ObiwanGinobili
04-21-2006, 10:53 PM
If his wife was the one pushing him to stay in Miami and it was HER idea and all... then fine.
But if he came up with this crap on his own and she's just dumbfoundly nodding her head in agreement while trying to breathe thru some nasty late term lower back pain.... :nope

If it was me my hubby better get his ass home. And if I were a guy - I don't think anythign could keep me form the birth of my child.

Ultimatly this is their decision be it *right* or *wrong*..... but it seems like a decision that he/she will regret in the years to come. All a person really has in this world is family.

ObiwanGinobili
04-21-2006, 10:55 PM

:tu awesome. breastfeeding is the shiznit.hell I'm doing it now.

Guru of Nothing
04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
If it was me my hubby better get his ass home. And if I were a guy - I don't think anythign could keep me form the birth of my child.

War?

ObiwanGinobili
04-21-2006, 11:05 PM
War?

well I wouldn't be involved in a war , but thats a whole 'nother topic.

truthfully I can;t see a reasopn except for circumstances beyond my control, that would keep me away.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2006, 12:00 AM

If I signed a contract for millions of dollars, I would show up for the playoffs unless there was something specific in the contract about it. I think NBA teams have the right to expect players to show up when they are needed by virtue of the huge sums of money being paid to the players. A death in the family is one thing, but it's not like the playoffs don't happen at the same time every year.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2006, 12:01 AM
truthfully I can;t see a reasopn except for circumstances beyond my control, that would keep me away.
Considering your gender, if you could find a way to have a baby without being there you should get a patent on it.