mcornelio
04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Spurs, Nuggets at risk for playoff upsets
Health of Duncan, Martin are among top things to watch in postseason

COMMENTARY
By Matt Guokas
NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 9:49 a.m. ET April 21, 2006

The NBA playoffs could hold a few surprises starting as early as the first round as some of the matchups like the Spurs-Kings and Nuggets-Clippers could be determined by the health of star players.

Spurs seek clean bill of health
The West is totally up for grabs as there is not one team -- not even defending NBA champion San Antonio -- that sticks out to me as a overwhelming favorite.

San Antonio has to be concerned because it has been a tough year for Tim Duncan, who has been nagged by injuries and who has been playing hurt.

Duncan hasn't shown he's been at 100 percent, and his numbers point to that as he averaged career lows in points (18.6), rebounds (11.0), blocks (2.03), and field goal percentage (.484).

The playoffs are a long grind, and Duncan is so important to the Spurs that if he is not right physically, San Antonio is definitely in jeopardy of not getting a crack at a second straight championship.

Manu Ginobili has also battled injuries, missing 17 regular-season games. He too must stay healthy in the playoffs. If Duncan and Ginobili cannot bring their best games, the Spurs' title defense will be a flawed one.

The Spurs have been relying so much on point guard Tony Parker, who has had a fabulous regular season, but come playoff time he usually steps back a little bit, and he's not nearly as effective a player during the postseason.

When playing against Parker in a series, opponents can prepare for him and try and take certain things away from him, while also going at him from the other end of the floor and making him defend.

The top-seeded Spurs will encounter a Sacramento team that saw its season turn around after a Jan. 25 trade that sent Peja Stojakovic to the Pacers in exchange for Ron Artest. By adding Artest, the Kings got a player who helps them win games at both ends of the floor.

Upon acquiring Artest, the identity of the Kings changed. Their defense greatly improved. Sacramento went from allowing opponents 100.2 points per game before obtaining Artest to limiting teams to 94.0 points per game after his arrival.

Before Artest came to Sacramento, the Kings allowed opponents to shoot .461 from the field. After his arrival, that percentage dropped to .444.

Artest can greatly affect a game as can Mike Bibby, and Brad Miller, who is a tough guy to handle because he is a big man who can go outside and shoot the ball, pass the ball, and put it on the floor enough to create things -- and that's a weapon most teams don't have.

Historically, Sacramento has been very tough in its own building so if the Kings can steal a game in San Antonio, they become all the more dangerous. I'm not saying Sacramento is going to knock off the Spurs, but if it happened, it wouldn't shock me.

Nuggets' chances not golden
The Nuggets won the Northwest Division and so they get the third seed, but not homecourt advantage against the sixth-seeded Clippers, whose 47 wins are three more than the Nuggets totaled.

Denver struggled at the end of the season, losing its last four games, and I don't think the Nuggets get out of the first round. They are a mess right now because Kenyon Martin has been hurt for a lot of the season, and when he has played he has been inconsistent.

After dealing with a variety of leg injuries, there's obvious concern on the Nuggets part over just how much Martin can given them, especially in a matchup against Elton Brand.

Denver's Carmelo Anthony has had a fabulous year, and I expect him to play very well, but in the playoffs teams have more time to prepare for opponents, so they will be looking to take some things away from Anthony that they might not be able to do during the regular season.

In a lot of areas, the Nuggets just don't look like an effective team to me, and they could spell an early exit from the playoffs.

Miami needs Mourning
In hopes of winning an NBA title, the Heat last offseason revamped their roster around Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, but Miami has had a hard time keeping its complimentary players healthy, especially Alonzo Mourning, whom they desperately need to backup Shaquille O'Neal.

O'Neal missed 23 games this season making Mourning's presence all the more important. But Mourning is sidelined indefinitely after suffering a torn right calf on March 22. If Mourning comes back to see action in the playoffs, I think the Heat are in good shape. But if he doesn't, Miami needs to be concerned over how to spell O'Neal and over keeping him from going down.

In addition to Mourning missing time, James Posey and Jason Williams have also been injured. I think the Heat would like to have Gary Payton and Antoine Walker coming off the bench so they are not overexposed minutes-wise, but they haven't been able to do that because they have had so many injuries.

If Williams isn't physically sound enough to handle the bulk of the work at point guard, then Payton has to play 30 to 35 minutes a game, and that's big trouble for the Heat. Williams is a solid three-point threat and has the ability to push the ball so Miami is hoping he stays healthy enough to get through the playoffs.

LeBron must turn up his defense
The Cavaliers, who get Washington in the first round, are banking on a big playoffs from LeBron James despite his recovering from a sprained left ankle. James will benefit from getting Larry Hughes back from injury since that takes a little pressure off him.

James is such a good player that even in those games where he is not shooting the ball well he still can find ways to score, get to the free throw line, and make plays for teammates.

The biggest area that he needs to pay attention to in the postseason is his defense. That's where he's been lagging, and maybe has even taken a step back from his first year in the league.

In his rookie season, James' individual defense was pretty strong at the end of games as he had a good sense that when matched against a top player he would have to shut him down.

His team defense has not moved forward. James has to by example show his teammates he understands where playoff games are won and lost -- and much of that is with team defense and getting key stops.

In the playoffs defense takes on an added premium, and James has the ability to play solid individual and team defense, but he must stay focused on doing so. When James was playing under former Cavaliers coach Paul Silas, I think Silas stayed on him pretty good about keeping up his defensive effort.

Hughes and Eric Snow understand the importance of good defense, especially in the playoffs, and they should set good examples for James to follow this postseason.

Pistons found wanting inside
If I had to pick a favorite to win the NBA title it would be the Pistons. They got off to a fabulous start this season, and this group is in its prime. They have had success, having been to the NBA Finals the last two seasons and winning one title.

They know the playoff routine well, and they know how to compensate when one or two players are not having good games. This season they have also been very fortunate in staying healthy.

But there are some things to watch in Detroit's bid for another NBA title. The Pistons have a reputation as being an outstanding defensive team, but the numbers don't bear that out.

Their field-goal percentage against has slipped, but I think it will pick up in the playoffs since they will have more attention to detail, and the games will slow down.

The thing that hurts the Pistons is they have no inside game. They try to get Rasheed Wallace to go into the post, and sometimes he does, but most times he doesn't.

Tayshaun Prince is probably their best threat in the low post, and any time they get a favorable matchup for him -- and they get it often --that's their one saving grace -- that they can go inside to Prince and he generally does some good things for them down low.

But overall Detroit doesn't score a lot of points in and around the basket. And that's a dangerous way to play because when a team doesn't go inside enough it doesn't pick up fouls and get chances at easy points from the free throw line.

The Pistons rely heavily on jump shooting from their guards and from Rasheed Wallace, and that can't fail them in the playoffs -- not if they are going to make a strong bid to once again win it all.

© 2006 NBC Sports.com

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12408777/

Whadda You Think?

zeleni
04-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Spurs in jeopardy? BS!

Even Denver is not really questionable...

A-Train
04-21-2006, 10:33 AM
If first round series were still best of 5, I could at least deem it a possibility.

TDMVPDPOY
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
seriously i want the clippers to be knockedout in the first round for tankin against memphis to get a lower seed to play the nuggets instead of the allas havericks

Extra Stout
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Matt Guokas picked the Spurs to lose in the first round last year as well.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Well due to the fact that all of the top four seeds are have to actually play the games isn't every team "at risk" for an upset? And since when is a team with a better season record winning an upset?

This guy sucks.

A-Train
04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Guokas fellates Bob Hill.

pache100
04-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Apparently he did not see Timmy playing in the last few regulation season games. He's in for a shock/treat. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I should have noticed earlier that this clown is from NBC sports. Their basketball analysts were always useless. Any network who would use a crew of Bob Costas, Bill Walton and Peter Vescey should lose its broadcasting license.

DJREN37
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
This j/o just needs to write something before his deadline and just pulls anything out his arse.

austinfan
04-21-2006, 11:18 AM
OK, this is getting ridiculous. I mean, I prefer the Spurs to go through the playoffs with a low profile, but my God, you would think the Spurs were a collection of walking wounded who by some miracle somehow managed to barely eke their way across the finish line into the postseason. Yes, TD is not 100%, neither is Manu, but they ended up with the second-best record in the League, a franchise record no less, and Timmy's and Manu's level of play has gradually improved over the last month. Sheesh.

I guess I'm just going to have to learn to put up with this stuff for the next couple of months. Oh well.

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:19 AM
The Spurs are going to surprise plenty of people in the postseason, if the above article is representative of the NBA media's conventional wisdom.

bdubya
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Spurs, Nuggets at risk for playoff upsets The thing that hurts the Pistons is they have no inside game. They try to get Rasheed Wallace to go into the post, and sometimes he does, but most times he doesn't.

Tayshaun Prince is probably their best threat in the low post, and any time they get a favorable matchup for him -- and they get it often --that's their one saving grace -- that they can go inside to Prince and he generally does some good things for them down low.

But overall Detroit doesn't score a lot of points in and around the basket. And that's a dangerous way to play because when a team doesn't go inside enough it doesn't pick up fouls and get chances at easy points from the free throw line.

Standing outside shooting 3s = less banging in the post = less chance of injury = in better shape to go bang in the post during the REAL season. (I hope...I hope....)

Nuggets I can see being toppled; Kings are tough enough that they might win 2. IMHO.

mikejones99
04-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Denver cannot be upset since the Clippers are favored to win the series, what a moron. Denver is called the underdog at + $ 1.50

leemajors
04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
teams that play games may lose, report at 10...

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Denver cannot be upset since the Clippers are favored to win the series, what a moron. Denver is called the underdog at + $ 1.50

yeh the majority of media talking about the playoffs seem like idiots

the Clips home the better record and homecourt........how would them winning be an upset?? :lol

Nuggets are the underdogs in this series, no matter what media says.....

as for the Spurs getting upset, the Kings are tough but not that tough, sheez.......

LittleGeneral
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Spurs will sweep the Kings.

Book it.

SenorSpur
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
As a coach, Goukas couldn't carry Pop's jock. He's even worse as a basketball analyst.

I really wouldn't put any credence into anything this guy says.

yeahone
04-21-2006, 05:22 PM
nice piece to read when yuou going and sleep

Darrin
04-21-2006, 05:23 PM
yeh the majority of media talking about the playoffs seem like idiots

the Clips home the better record and homecourt........how would them winning be an upset?? :lol

Nuggets are the underdogs in this series, no matter what media says.....

as for the Spurs getting upset, the Kings are tough but not that tough, sheez.......

This damn seeding system makes idiots of us all...

(1) Spurs vs. (8) Nuggets
(4) Memphis vs. (5) LA Clippers

(2) Phoenix vs. (7) LA Lakers
(3) Dallas vs. (6) Sacramento

That's how it should look. That's how it would've looked in every single playoff year since 1984, sans the last two.

atxrocker
04-21-2006, 05:36 PM

Book it.

:lol

RON ARTEST
04-21-2006, 05:58 PM

Book it.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

mikejones99
04-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Spurs and Nuggets in West finals more like.

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-21-2006, 09:21 PM
This damn seeding system makes idiots of us all...

(1) Spurs vs. (8) Nuggets
(4) Memphis vs. (5) LA Clippers

(2) Phoenix vs. (7) LA Lakers
(3) Dallas vs. (6) Sacramento

That's how it should look. That's how it would've looked in every single playoff year since 1984, sans the last two.

yeh. I bet if the Nuggets knew they would have to play the spurs in the 1st round again that they would have been motivated to the end of the season and to try and fight for a better record

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 09:24 PM
yeh. I bet if the Nuggets knew they would have to play the spurs in the 1st round again that they would have been motivated to the end of the season and to try and fight for a better record
...or the Spurs would have tanked to avoid having their players beat up or coins thrown at them.

Spurologist
04-21-2006, 09:28 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

I just heard you on ESPN. Sac is going all the way, right?

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-21-2006, 09:41 PM
...or the Spurs would have tanked to avoid having their players beat up or coins thrown at them.

coin throwing = against AI and not in Denver........

and stop whinging about getting outmuscled........spurs fans cant seriously bring up dirty play when they cheer for Bruce Bowen

but then again, i guess its part of the hypocrisy that is the minority of the Spurs fanbase

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
coin throwing = against AI and not in Denver........"Coin" throwing was against AI. "Coins" throwing was against the Spurs and it was most certainly in Denver. Bernie Bickerstaff got on the PA to tell the crowd to knock it off.

and stop whinging about getting outmuscled........spurs fans cant seriously bring up dirty play when they cheer for Bruce Bowen

but then again, i guess its part of the hypocrisy that is the minority of the Spurs fanbaseI never said the Spurs were outmuscled. The biggest muscle deficiency the Nuggets have is the one that pumps blood to the brain. You represent the stupidity that is the majority of the Denver fanbase.

ponky
04-22-2006, 01:08 AM
typical...the nuggets might be upset because of health problems and yet the mavs' health problems are completely overlooked (daniels, devin, kvh and now howard with the back forcing him to sit out practice) and wouldn't be the reason a team might upset them....this is b.s., if the spurs lose it won't be because of one player who happens to be a bit banged up, looked fine to me last week