PDA

View Full Version : espn analysts, to a man, pick detroit

td4mvp3
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
legler, greg anthony and the loud guy all chose pistons to win it all, with only the first guy saying it would go 7 games and anthony saying he actually thought a lower seed would beat s.a.

T Park
04-21-2006, 07:14 PM
anthony saying he actually thought a lower seed would beat s.a.

Spurs are looking good, he said no way would the Spurs hold onto the first spot either.

Ignore em.

himat
04-21-2006, 07:20 PM
legler, greg anthony and the loud guy all chose pistons to win it all, with only the first guy saying it would go 7 games and anthony saying he actually thought a lower seed would beat s.a.

legler is a bitch. I remember him talking about miami still being the best in the East in the middle of the season when the pistons were 37-5. I'm surprised that so many "experts" are picking dallas to represent the West. I'll be dissappointed if that happens because it would feel great to get revenge on the spurs and break their hearts. Just wait I can see Dirk messing up against gasol and the mavs losing in the first round.

genghisrex
04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
ESPN analysts, to a man, are ringless.

Guru of Nothing
04-21-2006, 07:24 PM
I can't fault anyone for picking the Pistons .... not that I agree with them.

td4mvp3
04-21-2006, 07:25 PM
ESPN analysts, to a man, are ringless.
:tu
and my compliments to whoever made all these emotiocons.

boutons_
04-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Why the surprise?

The Pistons have had more consistency, more impressive wins, and played much better basketball all season than the Spurs.

In comparison, the Spurs have looked so mediocre even n March and April that they have to find the switch, perhaps mythical, that lifts them to where they were a year ago.

JamesR
04-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Picking the Pistons over the Spurs in the Finals is not exactly a stretch. Not sure why people would get upset over that.

Picking the Spurs to get beat by a lower seed is just stupid though--no shock that Greg Anthony said that.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Picking the Pistons over the Spurs in the Finals is not exactly a stretch. Not sure why people would get upset over that.

Picking the Spurs to get beat by a lower seed is just stupid though--no shock that Greg Anthony said that.
Considering that virtually everybody at ESPN picked the Spurs at the beginning of the season, it can be safely assumed that they lead the industry in gutless picks. Nobody has watched the Spurs in the last month, and they are going to be shocked tomorrow night when the Kings get completely dismantled.

Vinnie_Johnson
04-21-2006, 08:23 PM

As soon as Detroit drops a game all those talking heads will jump ship just watch. Legler is an ASSFLAKE!!! :lol

ponky
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Anyone read this article yet? My pick n' roll finals prediction came out just like this, BEFORE I read the article. It's long so I won't cut and paste but here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060421

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 08:37 PM
To the Spurs, who have to be mildly terrified of the Kings in Round 1, right? Bibby has been a much better playoff performer over the years than Parker. Artest could single-handedly take Ginobili out of the series. There isn't anyone on the Kings for Bruce Bowen to shut down. Brad Miller is twice as good as any Spurs center. They have three power forwards to throw at Duncan, who's playing on one leg to begin with. And given that they've only been playing with Artest for three months and would have been a 55-win team with him, it's safe to say the Kings are the first truly dangerous 8-seed since the '99 Knicks. Yes, the '99 Knicks who made the Finals.

If San Antonio needs seven games to beat Suckramento, they will lose to Dallas in five. Denver was better last year than the Kings are this year.

SpurYank
04-21-2006, 08:41 PM
You and the author of that dream are doing just that: Dreaming. The Mavericks are two-three years from contending. And that is if TD slows down. I don't think he will. You better hope you can get by the Grizzlies. I doubt it very much.

TDfan2007
04-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Greg Anthony thought the Nuggets would beat the Spurs last year in the 1st Round. He also thought Pheonix would beat the Spurs in the WCF and the Pistons would beat the Spurs in the Finals. We all know how that turned out.

Personally, I only take what...well...nobody on ESPN says serioulsy. The real analysists are on TNT.

ponky
04-21-2006, 08:51 PM
You and the author of that dream are doing just that: Dreaming. The Mavericks are two-three years from contending. And that is if TD slows down. I don't think he will. You better hope you can get by the Grizzlies. I doubt it very much.

So you thought I was posting this to make fun of the Spurs? Haha, some of you guys are so touchy. It was just another one of the many prediction but written in a more entertaining fashion by Bill Simmons, not just some *author*. I guarantee the Spurs will have at least as much if not more trouble with the Kings than we will have with the Grizzlies...no need arguing now, I'll get back to you when round one is over. In the mean time, try not to act as if everyone is trying to make fun of your precious Spurs.

SpursWoman
04-21-2006, 08:54 PM
I can't fault anyone for picking the Pistons .... not that I agree with them.

Me, neither. :)

beirmeistr
04-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Detroit is probably a safe conservative pick before the playoffs start. They have been playing at a high level most of the season. What these so called ESPN analysts are conveniently overlooking is that the Spurs can kick it up to a higher notch than Detroit can in the playoffs. Nobody has as many battle-tested weapons as the Spurs have.

infinite styles
04-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I watched that show and all that was said. Stephen A. was well....Stephen A. and Greg Anthony did his usual "I think that whoever the Spurs play will beat them but I'll go ahead and pick them to make it to the Finals and eventually lose to Detroit." All that was said was basically a repeat from last year. One thing that I did notice was that whenever they talked about the other series going on in the West they all ended up discussing how the winner would fair against SA.

Tek_XX
04-21-2006, 10:01 PM
The brillant ESPN guys have bet against the Spurs before to only be proven wrong, so none of this is new.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 10:12 PM
The brillant ESPN guys have bet against the Spurs before to only be proven wrong, so none of this is new.At least two of them picked the Timberwolves last year.

1Parker1
04-21-2006, 10:32 PM

:tu Very true.

I believe Greg Anthony was also the guy that said that when all is said and done...Kobe Bryant will go down in history as an even greater player than....**gasp Michael Jordan. :wow

E20
04-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Rich Bucher was was pretty good with this picks.

CubanMustGo
04-21-2006, 11:15 PM
To the Spurs, who have to be mildly terrified of the Kings in Round 1, right? Bibby has been a much better playoff performer over the years than Parker. Artest could single-handedly take Ginobili out of the series. There isn't anyone on the Kings for Bruce Bowen to shut down. Brad Miller is twice as good as any Spurs center. They have three power forwards to throw at Duncan, who's playing on one leg to begin with. And given that they've only been playing with Artest for three months and would have been a 55-win team with him, it's safe to say the Kings are the first truly dangerous 8-seed since the '99 Knicks. Yes, the '99 Knicks who made the Finals.

Who writes shit like this?

A 55-win team <<< a 63-win team
A '99 Knicks team that got bitch-slapped by a Spurs team that couldn't shoot straight
"no one for Bowen to shut down" ... so what, they have 20 players averaging 5 ppg?
Bibby - if he's such a PTPer, tell me again how many Finals he's won? Or how many conference finals, at least?
Someone ELSE worrying about putting Sacto's best defender on SA's #3 scorer to the exclusion of all else?

Hell, I need to get a new job. If people are getting paid to write this crap ...

Sec24Row7
04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Kenny Smith will pick Detroit to win it all and I will respect his opinion.

Hell Charles may switch it up and pick them.

I still respect those two guys a hell of a lot more than any of the ESPN guys outside of Stein, because most of the time, they have been RIGHT!

T Park
04-21-2006, 11:57 PM
I believe Greg Anthony was also the guy that said that when all is said and done...Kobe Bryant will go down in history as an even greater player than....**gasp Michael Jordan

That was Mark Jackson former point guard of the Clippers and Pacers.

Joepa
04-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Why the surprise?

The Pistons have had more consistency, more impressive wins, and played much better basketball all season than the Spurs.

In comparison, the Spurs have looked so mediocre even n March and April that they have to find the switch, perhaps mythical, that lifts them to where they were a year ago.

The "great" Pistons finished 1 game better than the Spurs, and they played in an Eastern Conference that boasts 4 winning teams. Plus, they were healthy all year (0 games missed by their top 6.)

Why is everyone picking the Pistons? If the Spurs are healthy at Finals time, it's anyone's series.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 12:52 AM
If the Spurs had enjoyed the health that Detroit did with their starters this season they would've had the best record in the L. Pop's yet to lose a series when he's reached the Finals and look who's on the other sideline...

jcrod
04-22-2006, 01:12 AM
The "great" Pistons finished 1 game better than the Spurs, and they played in an Eastern Conference that boasts 4 winning teams. Plus, they were healthy all year (0 games missed by their top 6.)

Why is everyone picking the Pistons? If the Spurs are healthy at Finals time, it's anyone's series.

Thank you, I was going to say the samething until I read your post.

They've been SO much better than a banged up TD and Manu that they finished a WHOPPING 1 game ahead of them. :rolleyes

I'm glad they didn't picked the Spurs, now they can go about and shut everybodys ass up.

blaze89
04-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Why the surprise?

That is true, the Pistons have been playing great all year, the Spurs have struggled at bit, injuries and so forth, which I think is weird considering all most of the players had rest during the off-season. Also, many are looking into the two games the Pistons played against the Spurs went overwhelmingly to the Pistons.

The Pistons are the choice to win it all, no disrespect to the Spurs.

But you do have those who aren't even picking the Spurs to go past the 2nd round, somehow Dallas has eclipsed the Spurs, Dallas who I felt faultered in the last few games of the season.

The games aren't played on paper, aren't played on Playstation, and aren't played by TV analysts. The games are played on the court, so let's go.

George Gervin's Afro
04-22-2006, 08:00 AM
At this point the Pistons are playing the best basketball in the league so I think they should be the favorites. The question remains, do the spurs want it badly enough?

A-Train
04-22-2006, 08:05 AM

They've been SO much better than a banged up TD and Manu that they finished a WHOPPING 1 game ahead of them. :rolleyes

I'm glad they didn't picked the Spurs, now they can go about and shut everybodys ass up.

Yeah, if only the Spurs had no starter miss more than 2 games this season. You have TP playing at a high level. TD has shown that the mojo is back. Now we need Manu to find his groove. BB to lockdown bitches. Nazr to bring it in the paint and defensively. Horry to do his thing. NVE and Finley to bring some big shots. Beno to hump Barry on the sideline. It's coming together.

SpurYank
04-22-2006, 08:39 AM
There are always surprises.

With the experience the Spurs have, for both starters and our bench, surprises are less apt to happen to us. Pop will find ways to kill "runs" by the opposition. There are scorers galore on our team who will come from behind quickly, should that happen to us.

Not sure we can say that about the other teams, other than Detroit. So yes, I look for some surprises. Milwaukee won't beat Detroit, but my guess is they'll take two and dispose of any swagger the Pistons show today. When the series moves to Milwaukee, the Pistons will be so confident, they'll lose two games there. It will then take the air out of them to win 2 out of 3. Which they will.

Either Indiana or the Nets will prove to be formidable opponents.

If you are sitting in Detroit, you have to be worried. Everyone has built the Pistons up so much that you would think the games shouldn't even be played. Well, they will be. Hang on to your hats.

There are always surprises.

LilMissSPURfect
04-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah, if only the Spurs had no starter miss more than 2 games this season. You have TP playing at a high level. TD has shown that the mojo is back. Now we need Manu to find his groove. BB to lockdown bitches. Nazr to bring it in the paint and defensively. Horry to do his thing. NVE and Finley to bring some big shots. Beno to hump Barry on the sideline. It's coming together.

THAT's what I'm talking about !!!!!! SPURS over deeeeetroit in 6!

wildbill2u
04-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Why the surprise?

In an almost mystical and mythical way, the Spurs won 63 games in the tougher Western conference, only one behind the consistent, impressive, better Pistons, with their superstar limping through his worst season ever and their sparkplug injured as well.

How did they do that? I agree that the Spurs have looked mediocre at times while winning. They could lose in the first round. I guess we'll just have to rely on their mystical powers.

td4mvp3
04-22-2006, 08:58 AM
now, for the record and in the interests of full disclosure, i'm one of those folks who think dallas beats us this year. even then, it was a bit disappointing to have no one pick the defending champs. plus, it was a glimmer of hope since i pretty much think whatever greg anthony says, the opposite is more likely.

admack35
04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepa

They've been SO much better than a banged up TD and Manu that they finished a WHOPPING 1 game ahead of them.

Dertoit tanked the last 4 games of the season by playing x-tras & scrubs, but what matters mostly is how they came to San Antoinio and handily got a win during the season.

That is why people are picking the Pistons, they have a history of getting beaten and learning the lesson. Only to come back more hungry, more determined, and finally succeding to overcome the previous obstacle.

I know some of you may get mad, but in my honest opinion, the Spurs dont stand a chance against the Pistons if the finals go that way this year. I even feel as if after the Spurs losing the first 2 games in Detroit, will loose again the first game in Texas. I think the only thing that stands in the way of getting swept is how much pride & dertermination they have left in game four.

If you are still reading this that means you are a basketball fan and can respect my opinion, but please note 2 more things;

1. Last year at this same time I correctly picked San Antonio in seven.

2. Two years ago I picked Detroit to sweep Los Angeles.

My pick, Pistons in 5

LilMissSPURfect
04-22-2006, 09:24 AM
regular season means NADA!

Spurs and Pistons both have lots to prove!

Spurs will prevail and show the world how BLACK this team really is!!!

:fro

SPURS in 6!

weebo
04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
This year's Mavs is last year's Suns. They're fresh, new, and the media darlings. No big surprise there. As far as the Pistons go, they are the real deal. It really is their championship to lose as I can see it. They've played the best ball all year. They've been basically injury free all year, so I wonder how they would respond if one of their starters went down. I'll withhold picking anyone as of yet--too soon to tell and a lot can happen. The one thing I'm sure of, however, is I'll be rooting for the Spurs no matter what happens. :hat

A-Train
04-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Dertoit tanked the last 4 games of the season by playing x-tras & scrubs, but what matters mostly is how they came to San Antoinio and handily got a win during the season.

That is why people are picking the Pistons, they have a history of getting beaten and learning the lesson. Only to come back more hungry, more determined, and finally succeding to overcome the previous obstacle.

I know some of you may get mad, but in my honest opinion, the Spurs dont stand a chance against the Pistons if the finals go that way this year. I even feel as if after the Spurs losing the first 2 games in Detroit, will loose again the first game in Texas. I think the only thing that stands in the way of getting swept is how much pride & dertermination they have left in game four.

If you are still reading this that means you are a basketball fan and can respect my opinion, but please note 2 more things;

My pick, Pistons in 5

3. Last year, I said the Spurs would win after having my 5th whiskey sour. I'm hitting the liquor store in about a hour.

Anyways, the regular season games aren't anything to look to, the Spurs were not at full strength in either contest. I guess if Ginobili misses half the series and is gimpy the other half it will. Otherwise, keep on wishing, Piston Fan.

theMUHMEshow
04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
F legler...I F'n hate that clown...and I dont even care if he went with my boys...

I just want the rematch...and let the best team win :fro

A-Train
04-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Before I forget, if Rasho Nesterovic sees more than 5 minutes in the Finals I'd be surprised.

sprrs
04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I watched that show and all that was said. Stephen A. was well....Stephen A. and Greg Anthony did his usual "I think that whoever the Spurs play will beat them but I'll go ahead and pick them to make it to the Finals and eventually lose to Detroit." All that was said was basically a repeat from last year. One thing that I did notice was that whenever they talked about the other series going on in the West they all ended up discussing how the winner would fair against SA.

Agreed. All Greg Anthony did last year was talk crap about the Spurs. He absolutely refused to give them any love. Even after game seven you could see him cringe to give them praise. It was comforting to see his reaction though.

SpurForLife
04-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Dertoit tanked the last 4 games of the season by playing x-tras & scrubs, but what matters mostly is how they came to San Antoinio and handily got a win during the season.That is why people are picking the Pistons, they have a history of getting beaten and learning the lesson. Only to come back more hungry, more determined, and finally succeding to overcome the previous obstacle.

My pick, Pistons in 5

Better hope your team isn't thinking that!!!

Borosai
04-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Last year, I got a huge boner right before the playoffs, followed by sores and weird hallucinations. Oh yeah, the Spurs are winning it all again!!! :elephant

admack35
04-22-2006, 12:37 PM
No, you better hope.

jcrod
04-22-2006, 12:57 PM

My pick, Pistons in 5

How quickly you forget regular season doesn't mean jack. If you remember correctly, the Pistions beat the Spurs easily the year before during the regular season.

Ok, oh great one, I didn't know you could see the future. The Spurs should just give up.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Two great teams. Both championship tested. If both the Spurs and Pistons are fortunate enough to make it back to the NBA Finals, the series could easily go either way. But, there should be no surprise or feeling of disrespect that the Pistons are favored to win it this year.

1. Last year, the majority of analysts picked San Antonio over Detroit even though the Pistons were the defending champs.

2. Better record, no matter if it's by one game or 10 games, means HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE. That alone should give the edge to the Pistons, at least on paper. The Pistons were 37-4 at home, two losses coming in overtime, the last loss coming at the end of the season in a meaningless game in which the rookies and third string players closed out the game.

3. The regular seasons does not mean anything close to the post season, but it does mean something. It means HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE. The thing the Spurs had last year which is nice for a game 7. And, I hope no one is suggesting that the Spurs tanked the two meetings against the Pistons, especially the one at San Antonio. The regular season does not forecast what will happen in the post season, but at least give credit where credit is due. And, the season before, in 2004-05, the Spurs and the Pistons split the regular season series, and many Spurs fans pointed out that the Pistons win was also the game in which Tim Duncan severely sprained his ankle. Many a Spurs fan did not count that as the "Pistons beating the Spurs easily."

4. There's no argument that the Spurs have dealt with a lot more injury problems and the Pistons have been, for all in tense and purposes, injury free this season. But, to reference that and to say that the Spurs won only one fewer games ignores the fact that the Pistons locked up homecourt advantage with four regular season games left and tanked three of the last four games, two of which were against teams that were still playing for something. Meanwhile, the Spurs had to lock up homecourt in the Western Conference and ultimately won their last few garbage games against teams that were not in the playoffs. The Pistons could have easily played out the regular season and have won 66 or 67 games.

Like I said, two great teams. It would be great to see them both make it to the NBA Finals. But, it is not unfair assertion of most unbiased observers to favor the Detroit Pistons this year to win it all. I don't think it would be a crime to bet on the Spurs either. Based on the responses by some Spurs fans, you would think that the basketball analysts were picking the Chicago Bulls to win it over the Spurs.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 03:03 PM
If the Spurs had TD and Manu at their level of health currently all season, that's worth 5 extra wins. Anyways, they've found their health at the right time.

Tanya
04-22-2006, 04:26 PM
If the Spurs had TD and Manu at their level of health currently all season, that's worth 5 extra wins. Anyways, they've found their health at the right time.

I am not trying to disrespect you. But would you please stop bringing up "if TD and Manu were 100%...."?? I think TD and Manu's health is the main reason those so called analysts pick detroit to win it all. Actually it's normal people all pick detroit because detroit has all the favor this year: HCA, health advantage, mental advantage.
Don't be mad. These prediction are always meaningless, they can't change the outcome. Like what you said: "they've found their health at the right time." We all hope that's gonna happen.

Shaolin-Style
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I enjoy analysts picking other teams than us, it just is that much better when we win it and they will know they were wrong.

SpurForLife
04-22-2006, 05:22 PM
How quickly you forget regular season doesn't mean jack. If you remember correctly, the Pistions beat the Spurs easily the year before during the regular season.

Ok, oh great one, I didn't know you could see the future. The Spurs should just give up.

Thank you, love how "some" pistons fans think they can just flex their muscle and the entire league will just tremble at their feet. :rolleyes

blaze89
04-22-2006, 05:29 PM
In an almost mystical and mythical way, the Spurs won 63 games in the tougher Western conference, only one behind the consistent, impressive, better Pistons, with their superstar limping through his worst season ever and their sparkplug injured as well.

How did they do that? I agree that the Spurs have looked mediocre at times while winning. They could lose in the first round. I guess we'll just have to rely on their mystical powers.

I've actually heard that the Western Conference is "watered-down" from last year.

Let's just play the games.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 05:33 PM
I am not trying to disrespect you. But would you please stop bringing up "if TD and Manu were 100%...."?? I think TD and Manu's health is the main reason those so called analysts pick detroit to win it all. Actually it's normal people all pick detroit because detroit has all the favor this year: HCA, health advantage, mental advantage.
Don't be mad. These prediction are always meaningless, they can't change the outcome. Like what you said: "they've found their health at the right time." We all hope that's gonna happen.

I'll bring up what I want. If it bothers you so, scroll.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
If the Spurs had enjoyed the health that Detroit did with their starters this season they would've had the best record in the L. Pop's yet to lose a series when he's reached the Finals and look who's on the other sideline...

If the Spurs or Mavs actually won more games earlier in the season to give the Pistons reason to keep a better pace, the Pistons wouldn't have won over 70 regular season games. Pistons got bored after the all star break because their lead was so comfortable. When the Spurs and Mavs finally made a push, the Pistons still kept winning games to fend them off for the league's best record, and won homecourt with four regular season games left in the season.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I've never come across a lamer excuse than 'boredom'.

Anyways, right now you have seen the significance of regular season matchups.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Really? Because several Spurs fans have used that same excuse of "boredom" for many a game this season.

But, at any rate, I've never said the Spurs aren't a great team. I think they are one of the best in the league. I just find it peculiar that some Spurs fans have to take away anything from what the Pistons have done in order to gas up their home team.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey, I was just pointing out that the Spurs' health was a rather significant factor in the regular season. If it bothers you, scroll. I could care less.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 05:51 PM
That's fine. And, I just pointed out that if the Pistons were challenged more earlier in the season, the Pistons would have had an even better record. If that bothers you, likewise, scroll on.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey, your team won the regular season championship. Enjoy that title.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 05:54 PM
LOL!

You're a funny kid.