PDA

View Full Version : Are Spur fans pulling for the Pistons?

Pistons < Spurs
04-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Out of curiousity, are you all rooting for or against the Pistons reaching the Finals this year? Are you looking forward to a possible rematch? Or do you hope Pistons lose as soon as possible?

Personally I've been waiting for a rematch since the end of game 7 last year. Revenge is naturally on my mind. I do not want to face anyone other than the Spurs (assuming we make it to the Finals).

Melmart1
04-22-2006, 02:18 AM
I would love to see a rematch because I think it would be an awesome series. However, I wouldn't cry if we got an opponant that was easier. I don't think we will, however.

T Park
04-22-2006, 02:21 AM
No offense.

I don't want any part of the Pistons in the Finals.

No offense...

FromWayDowntown
04-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm rooting for the Pistons. I appreciate good basketball.

Pistons < Spurs
04-22-2006, 02:24 AM
No offense.

I don't want any part of the Pistons in the Finals.

No offense...

none taken. I suspect many people feel this way. If the roles were reversed, part of me wouldn't want to face the best possible opponent either.

Melmart1
04-22-2006, 02:26 AM
I am always torn between wanting to see the best basketball series, and wanting to see the easiest opponant for the Spurs. In the end, I want the Spurs to be able to beat anyone. To be the best, you have to beat the best, period. I have never really warmed to 'the path of least resistance' thing. That's why in the end, I always want to see the better basketball series. But like I said, I wouldn't cry if by some miracle NJ or someone knocked the Pistons out.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I don't care, other than having to listen to the odd Pistons fan coming in here saying "well you got lucky they didn't have to face the best team." Probably wouldn't happen much, if at all, so I don't care. It's going to be embarassing for the Pistons when they lose, no matter when it happens, simply because they are perceived to have been so dominant this year. It's nice not having a rooting interest in a game where you can just sort of enjoy good basketball.

I'm rooting for good basketball.

Spurzilla
04-22-2006, 03:54 AM
Definitely would like to see a rematch. The Pistons are a tough team and winning it all last year was so great because getting there was tough, all the way to the end. Game 7 of the Finals was a classic battle. The critics shut their pie holes real quick after the Spurs beat the Pistons. I'd enjoy seeing that happen again too this year. GO SPURS GO!

Kori Ellis
04-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Yes. Game 7 was awesome last season.

timvp
04-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Oh hell no. Pistons fans are cool and all but your team is too good.

Go Nets Go.

:smokin

velik_m
04-22-2006, 04:00 AM
i'm rooting for nets!

Go Boki Go!

ShoogarBear
04-22-2006, 04:03 AM
If the Spurs make the Finals, I want the Pistons there because a) beating them will legitimize any discussion of All-Time great teams and b) it's by far the best thing for the League.

If the Spurs don't make the Finals, then the Pistons deserve it plus I can't think of any team from the West I'd root for. Maybe the Clippers.

xcoriate
04-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Melmart hit the nail on the head, the Pistons scare me but the finals last year were awesome to watch. Manu in games 1+2, Ben in game 3, Horry in game 5. Chauncy and TD across the series. Phenomenal.

Part of me wants that again, the other wants an easy win.

SpurForLife
04-22-2006, 06:11 AM
I hope we can meet up with the Pistons again. Since everyone keeps pulling out the we haven't won a title without HCA here would be a perfect chance against a dynamite team to shut critics up for a very very long time.

Slo spurs fan
04-22-2006, 06:16 AM
No offense Piston fans, but I hope Miami will make it, becouse than Rasho will play a lot and I think Pistons could beat Spurs this year becouse of HCA.

SouthernFried
04-22-2006, 07:17 AM
I felt better about the Spurs last year against the Pistons than this year. Last year I wanted the Pistons...this year, I just want back-to-back Titles. Pistons have a better chance of stopping the Spurs from doing that than any other team.

alamo50
04-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I don't care what they do in Detroit.
I only want Miami in the Finals.

Jimcs50
04-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Oh hell no. Pistons fans are cool and all but your team is too good.

Go Nets Go.

:smokin

I am also rooting for New Jersy, but I will also welcome the chance to shut the Pistons up. I have had to listen to their crap for 6 minths, you would think that they won the last championship, instead of the Spurs.

I hate Wallace and Wallace, so would love to see them get their asses whipped my the Spurs.

zocool16
04-22-2006, 07:48 AM
lol lets put it this way, it would be awesome to play detroit in the finals again...but i wouldn't cry if they didn't make it. but i WILL cry if WE don't make it! lol jk. GO SPURS GO!

angel_luv
04-22-2006, 07:51 AM
No offense Piston fans, but I hope Miami will make it, becouse than Rasho will play a lot.

That I would like to see! And I would also love to never hear Mason again!

Whoever we meet, we'll take them! I believe! :D

NASpurs
04-22-2006, 07:51 AM
The competitive part of me is "hell yeah I want the Pistons because they're the best and you have to go through the best!"

The not so sure part of me is "they'll kick our ass more than likely so.... go Heat!"

A-Train
04-22-2006, 07:52 AM
I could care less about who's between the Spurs and their 4th Larry O'Brien.

SpurYank
04-22-2006, 08:47 AM
A rematch would be nice. However, I was a little turned off by Billups saying HE should be the MVP, a behavior that seems par for the course for the Pistons. I'd like to see them win for Hamilton's sake. I want to see MJ look at the fruits of his endeavors (He sent him to Detroit).

I'd rather see the acrobatic Carter and Jefferson, along with Jason Kidd, in the finals. After the Nets, I'd like to face Shaq one more time. A Spurs strategy would be to run him ragged.

ObiwanGinobili
04-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes I want to see the Pistons in the Finals. Thats the way it should be.... IMO if we went up against the Heat or (hahahaha ha) the Nets & kicked there ass's .. it wouldn't feel liek we really won. At least not to me.

It;s funny.. my HEAD says Yes! Pistons! ... but my HEART says No! :lol I want an easy win.

:tu Here's to a SA vDET rematch! :drunk

MI21
04-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I prefer Miami to make it.

Detroit is the hardest matchup in the East for the Spurs which is a big reason for wanting Miami. Another reason would be just to see Detroit lose. I'm not a fan of any player on that team except Rasheed, McDyess and Delk. Most of the other players I don't particuly enjoy or like watching play.

But the main reason is I'd love to see Tim vs Shaq, the 2 great big men of 97 onwards go head to head on the biggest stage. People think they are on the decline, but this would show everyone who thinks that, that they are very wrong.

admack35
04-22-2006, 09:35 AM
If the Spurs make the Finals, I want the Pistons there because a) beating them will legitimize any discussion of All-Time great teams and b) it's by far the best thing for the League.

I think this title will be true for either of the team who wins.

I want to see the Spurs & Pistons in the finals because Detroit has the biggest amount of resolve over Tim & Co. than any other team in the west.

Truthfully I'm scared of Dallas & hoping that the Spurs crush them.

ABDENOUR POWER
04-22-2006, 09:37 AM
I respect the Spurs and their fans greatly. However, I hope they lose as soon as possible. :lol I want the path of least resistance.

GrandeDavid
04-22-2006, 09:42 AM
I think a rematch would be a blast to see (and attend, which I would do), but my mindset is usually strictly limited to the opponent at hand with one eye peaking at the next round. So once the Spurs get a couple wins behind their belts in the Western Conference Finals, assuming they get that far, only then will I start wondering what time it is out East.

ShoogarBear
04-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I respect the Spurs and their fans greatly. However, I hope they lose as soon as possible. :lol I want the path of least resistance.
Understand that one completely.

If I only had these two options, I'd rather sweep Milwaukee in a Finals yawner than lose game 7 to the Pistons on a buzzer beater.

PerforatedNeckline
04-22-2006, 10:08 AM
my view is: if the pistons lose before they get a chance to face the spurs in the finals, then they aren't the best team. anyone who makes noise about the spurs not taking the most difficult route will be forced to acknowledge that the pistons lost to the heat or the nets or whoever, and therefore were undeserving of being considered the most challenging, most worthy opponent for the spurs. if the heat beat the pistons, and then the spurs beat the heat, the spurs beat the better team. at some point you have to stop overanalyzing potential matchup problems and look at who won the games and who came out on top. i don't think that a spurs victory over the heat or nets or cavs in the finals would take anything away from the spurs' title. i don't think thats going to happen, though. i think the pistons will be there. all that said, i'm NOT rooting for the pistons simply because i can't stomach rooting for them. no disrespect intended, but i just can't...it's so much more fun to root against them.

Melmart1
04-22-2006, 10:14 AM
my view is: if the pistons lose before they get a chance to face the spurs in the finals, then they aren't the best team. anyone who makes noise about the spurs not taking the most difficult route will be forced to acknowledge that the pistons lost to the heat or the nets or whoever, and therefore were undeserving of being considered the most challenging, most worthy opponent for the spurs. if the heat beat the pistons, and then the spurs beat the heat, the spurs beat the better team. at some point you have to stop overanalyzing potential matchup problems and look at who won the games and who came out on top. i don't think that a spurs victory over the heat or nets or cavs in the finals would take anything away from the spurs' title. i don't think thats going to happen, though. i think the pistons will be there. all that said, i'm NOT rooting for the pistons simply because i can't stomach rooting for them. no disrespect intended, but i just can't...it's so much more fun to root against them.

I respectfully disagree. An untimely injury or two could easily leave the best team vulnerable to an upset. If Billups or one of the Wallaces goes down, Detroit could be beat. But I don't think a Miami or New Jersey is a better team for beating them- just a litte luckier. The best team doesn't always win- the team with the best health/luck sometimes wins instead.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Only a Detroit-San Antonio NBA Finals makes sense.

I root for the two best teams to play the final series. And, whichever team wins, due props to that team.

If the NBA Finals is missing either Detroit or San Antonio, I'll be disappointed.

PerforatedNeckline
04-22-2006, 10:18 AM
you're right, Melmart....i should have said something like, "assuming that all teams maintain their current health situation..."

if the pistons have no significant injuries and players don't miss time for personal tragedies or whatever...and then they lose before they get to the finals...well, then i just don't want anyone to try to asterisk another one of the spurs' championships just because the pistons couldn't handle their business against the nets or whoever.

again, all of this is a big "if"...the spurs are going to have a difficult road out of the west, and i truly believe that the pistons are by far the best team in the east...and maybe in the whole league...but that won't be proven true until the playoffs run their course.

Sec24Row7
04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Im rooting for Milwalkee to be a darkhorse 8th seed and get to the finals and then Bogut and Redd decide to walk out unless they are immediately given contract extensions and raises.

SAGambler
04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Out of curiousity, are you all rooting for or against the Pistons reaching the Finals this year? Are you looking forward to a possible rematch? Or do you hope Pistons lose as soon as possible?

Personally I've been waiting for a rematch since the end of game 7 last year. Revenge is naturally on my mind. I do not want to face anyone other than the Spurs (assuming we make it to the Finals).

I've said the entire year I would love to see a rematch of last years Finals. Of course with the same results..lol

Two reasons for this.

1. These are the two best teams in the league, and make a great game for true BB fans.

2. It has to piss of the commish to no end not to have New York or Los Angeles involved in a Finals matchup.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I want to face the Pistons in the Finals. Why? Because, to be the best, you must beat the best teams. I don't want any excuses from other teams fans like "oh, you were lucky that the Pistons were knocked out in the East".

The Pistons vs. Spurs series would be one hell of a series again. Very emotional and even, it could go either way.

There's another reason too, I like the way they play. Probably along with the Spurs, and to a much lesser extent, the Bulls, they play the game the way it should be played. Team basketball, balanced scoring, never resting defense.

FromWayDowntown
04-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I think there's a chance -- though it will take some doing -- that the Spurs and Pistons could fashion a rivalry on the lines of the 80's Celtics and Lakers rivalry. One where the teams meet in several Finals and split them in great series, with the balance of power shifting from season-to-season. The teams are ideally situated to make that happen. I hope the Spurs will comply.

zero signal
04-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I like the Pistons. I was going for them in '04. I'll be going for them again to make it back to the Finals. And I hope it stays like this for a few more years.

Spurs-Pistons. Pistons-Spurs. Everyone else can go fuck themselves while our teams make history.

UtownSpur
04-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Spurs-Pistons is the only acceptble finals to me...although i know the Pistons are a hell of a team, I want the Spurs/Pistons to become the new Lakers/Celtics. Screw ABC for showing the cavs today and the lakers tomorrow. They dont show the best two teams leading up to the finals and they wonder why the ratings are lower than they would like..well duh!!!! Show the Spurs and the Pistons so the general public knows them better!

SenorSpur
04-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I think there's a chance -- though it will take some doing -- that the Spurs and Pistons could fashion a rivalry on the lines of the 80's Celtics and Lakers rivalry. One where the teams meet in several Finals and split them in great series, with the balance of power shifting from season-to-season. The teams are ideally situated to make that happen. I hope the Spurs will comply.

I agree and hope this turns into THAT kind of rivalry. If both teams get there again, that's probably what will happen.

As for my opinion on the Pistons, the answer is YES. The Pistons won me over in 2004 when they officially "finished off" what was left of the Faker dynasty.

I have a helluva lot of respect for the Pistons brand of basketball. Which is why last years championship victory in a hard-fought series was SO satisfying.

It'll be a good series, whether the rest of the basketball world watches it or not.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Spurs-Pistons is the only acceptble finals to me...
Although it might be really nice to see Shaq eliminated in San Antonio.

JamStone
04-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Although it might be really nice to see Shaq eliminated in San Antonio.

Similarly, it would be nice to watch Mark Cuban cry in the NBA finals.

veronicamae
04-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, I am! Why?

Because that means the first 2 games would be in Detroit, not SA, and my friend and I have concert tickets in Phoenix for June 8th & 10th, and if there are home Finals Spurs games that weekend, she's going to cancel on me for the concert so she can go to the Finals.

Silly reason, but c'mon Pistons! lol

mookie2001
04-22-2006, 02:05 PM
of course

I want the spurs to play the best possible team

who wants to see the bulls play in the finals anwyay?

Obstructed_View
04-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Similarly, it would be nice to watch Mark Cuban cry in the NBA finals.
Any time Mark Cuban cries, it's worth the price of admission. That's my second favorite moment of the playoffs.

v2freak
04-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm indifferent to them at the moment.

greyforest
04-22-2006, 02:48 PM
i want to see the spurs play the best possible team.

whether this is the pistons or not, i don't care, because its decided by who wins the eastern conference, isn't it?

it's just very likely that the pistons will win the eastern conference, because they are very likely the best possible team.

td4mvp21
04-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I would cheer for them, but they are too cocky towards us. It's kind of annoying. Other than that, I really don't have a problem with them.

Brutalis
04-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm not.

I want them to get blown out of the water before seeing the Finals.

Rummpd
04-22-2006, 04:12 PM
No preference, line em up and Spurs will take them down!