PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginóbili: "The only goal is to get the ring"

Ariel
04-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Manu Ginóbili: "The only goal is to get the ring" (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=799580)

We're doing well in these moments prior to the start of the playoffs, watching videos, talking about our first opponent (Sacramento), and ready to get started on the real thing. I say that because the other story is of little importance, that which states we set the franchise record for the regular season with 63 wins. We have another great opportunity to win the title, and we don't want to let it go to waste. The only goal is to get another ring.

I believe that this season there are four title contenders: Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, and us. We have to see how events unfold, because this is a very special stage. In this first round we're facing a very unusual opponent, that has perimeter players capable of posting up and make a difference in the paint, while at the same time they have big guys that can go to the perimeter and shoot well. Besides, Sacramento has a great weapon in Mike Bibby and a very strong home crowd, where they've proven throughout time to do better.

Another aspect to consider will be Ron Artest's contribution, a very tough player to guard because he is very big and he can post up. Bruce Bowen can guard him, but if Artest gets to the paint we'll have to help him appropriately.

We have to defend well and, on offense, pass the ball as we know. The good thing is, Tim (Duncan) is regaining his best form, and a time is coming where we'll all be more motivated and determined.

Regarding the rest of the series, it's not very wise to get into a thorough analysis because in the playoffs everything is relative, a win or a loss can alter the course of a series. I'll write what I saw from each team in the regular season.

In the East it seems to me that the most evenly matched series might be Cleveland vs. Washington, and possibly the most unbalanced is Detroit vs. Milwaukee. Although Milwaukee has improved from last season, I believe only New Jersey, or maybe Miami, can give Detroit some problems.

That's why I also think New Jersey will beat Indiana. With the dominance Jason Kidd imposes, and the contribution of Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter, they can take on the Pacers. The Nets are more experienced in these situations.

Between Miami and Chicago, I believe Miami to be the favorite because they have more decisive players (Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade), though they lack shooters. Chicago exhibits the virtue of not giving anything away; they can be down for 15 or 20 points and still come back and win. They're a young and very feisty team.

In the West, Dallas can beat Memphis because they have a strong at home court and a good team, but Memphis shouldn't be underestimated: they have a strong starting five and Pau Gasol and Mike Miller's difference making ability.

Phoenix has a better team and more alternatives than the Lakers and should win the series, though Kobe Bryant is capable of winning a game all by himself. And the most evenly matched series will be that of Denver and the Clippers. You have to keep in mind that the Clippers have home court advantage. Denver has good players and they play a very up-tempo and physical game, but the Clippers, though lacking playoff experience as a franchise, do have players that know what it takes, such as Sam Cassell and Elton Brand. I believe the Clippers to be a bit more talented.

The playoffs start and everything changes; it's a different story, as I said in the beginning.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-22-2006, 02:37 AM
I just hope any future matchups aren't given bulletin board material off that post of Manu's.

Ariel
04-22-2006, 02:42 AM
It's interesting to notice Manu's mindset, and Tim's improvement as seen by someone who plays w/him every day.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2006, 02:56 AM
I just hope any future matchups aren't given bulletin board material off that post of Manu's.
Bulletin boards are for single game elimination. It doesn't make a difference in a series IMO. Besides, I want the Spurs opponents foaming at the mouth and playing their best ball. It makes the wins better.

A-Train
04-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Manu is this playoff's X factor for the Spurs. If he's not healthy and cannot play as he has in postseasons past, the climb will be that much tougher. If he can summon his game at the same level as it was in his first 3 playoffs in the league, then this team will win its 4th NBA championship.

It's no small coincidence that when Manu was hurt earlier in the season the Spurs dropped two to the Pistons. Health is what we need.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2006, 10:05 AM
What does he mean the ring is the thing? We should be happy to get 60+ wins and realize we can't win it every year. Some Spurs fans, err players are spoiled [/Spurstalk kumbaya brigade]

ALVAREZ6
04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
What does he mean the ring is the thing? We should be happy to get 60+ wins and realize we can't win it every year. Some Spurs fans, err players are spoiled [/Spurstalk kumbaya brigade]
It means that it's their only goal.

If getting winning it all isn't the goal again, what is? I thought that was the whole point of playing.

SAGambler
04-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Manu is this playoff's X factor for the Spurs. If he's not healthy and cannot play as he has in postseasons past, the climb will be that much tougher.

Of course, Manu can always be considered an "X" factor in any game. But this year, I'm looking to Fin to also be an "X" factor. If he can continue to come off the bench and put up 9 points in 3 or 4 minutes, that will contribute greatly to the success of the Spurs.

In fact, out entire bench could turn out to be the "X" factor in all these series. Remember there have been a couple of nights where the bench put up 60 or 70 points. That is hard for any other team in the league to counter.

SAGambler
04-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Well, no doubt, we as Spurs fans are spoiled.

But from a players point of view, the ring is the thing. The rest of it is just the road traveled to get there. I think any player in the league would tell you that is the goal.

They may fall short. It doesn't mean they haven't had an excellent year. But in their minds, there is only one goal, and that is the trophy. :spin

Quasar
04-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the translation Ariel. It must have taken you a lot of time.

I didn't realize it was a translation until i clicked on the link!

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
If getting winning it all isn't the goal again, what is? I thought that was the whole point of playing.

Alvarez, my post was aimed at some of the resident peace, love, and regular season wins types like zocool who take offense to anyone who isn't overjoyed about 60 regular wins because they want an NBA title.

Some of us on this board who have said BFD to our regular season win total, because the eye should be on the NBA Title prize, have been chastized as expecting too much of our team and being greedy.

I wonder if they feel any different now that one of their resident heros has said the same.

Ariel
04-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the translation Ariel. It must have taken you a lot of time.

I didn't realize it was a translation until i clicked on the link!I've done much, much longer translations. This one wasn't that big a deal, only took about 15'-20'. Anyway, you're welcome. :)