PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Van Exel makes a sudden impact

Manu20
04-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Spurs' Van Exel makes a sudden impact
Web Posted: 04/23/2006 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042306.14C.BKNspurs.vanexel.3128517.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

There had to be a small sense of relief among the Sacramento Kings when Tony Parker stayed on the bench as the second period began in Game 1 of their Western Conference playoff series against the Spurs.

Parker had already scored 16 points in the first quarter Saturday at the AT&T Center when he took a seat.

Thirty-eight seconds into the second period, the Kings discovered their troubles with the Spurs point guards were far from over. Nick Van Exel nailed a 3-point shot from the right corner on the Spurs' first possession of the second quarter.

Before Parker returned, Van Exel made two more 3-pointers and two free throws to score all 11 of his points Saturday in a little more than seven minutes during the second quarter.

It was the sort of quick-strike capability that the Spurs had in mind when they signed Van Exel last summer. The Spurs didn't get to see much of it over the course of the regular season as Van Exel battled ongoing pain and swelling in a left elbow filled with debris from prior injuries. But they knew it was there.

"I wasn't surprised," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "because that's what he does. He's a guy who can shoot and can pass. It's just a matter of whether his body will allow him to do it. In the first half, it was obvious his body felt good.

"He relishes those situations. He likes to take those shots. So in that sense it wasn't a surprise. Hopefully, his body will allow him to continue to do that."

Van Exel always has been at his best when he is aggressive, which usually means when he is looking for his own shot — as he did in the second period Saturday.

When he finally got the call, after Parker's big first period, Van Exel decided to get involved quickly.

"The past couple weeks I've just been trying to get in that mode," Van Exel said. "Play the way I'm capable of playing and trying to help the team. They won it last year, but it's a totally different makeup this year, and I have to try to help in any way I can."

Van Exel said he has been waiting all season for the playoffs to begin. He wondered how ready he would be, considering all the time he missed with his elbow woes. He did his best to remain engaged during his time on the inactive list.

"Everybody talked about how the Spurs went out and got Nick Van Exel for the playoffs," Spurs guard Brent Barry said, "but you can't have the sort of impact like Nick had on that game today without having gone through the regular season and understanding the system. Nick dealt with an elbow injury this year at times, when he really wanted to play more to find his rhythm."

Van Exel played 17 minutes, 33 seconds on Saturday. He knows his playoff minutes will be determined largely by Parker's effectiveness.

"When he's rolling like tonight, I'll be lucky to get 12, 15 minutes," Van Exel said. "But there's no problem with that. I'm here to spell him, and if he's not playing well, hopefully I can go in and play a little better. If he's playing well, I'll just cheer him on and support him."

It had been two years since Van Exel's last playoff appearance, so Saturday's quick strike in the second period felt good.

"I've definitely been looking forward to this all year and the good thing about it is the year went pretty fast," he said. "We've been winning, and when you're winning the season goes fast."

Kori Ellis
04-23-2006, 12:54 AM
timvp wore a NVE jersey tonight.
NVE went off tonight.

Coincidence?

I think not :)

timvp
04-23-2006, 12:55 AM
I might have to break out my Nick Van Exel Laker jersey.

No telling what he'd do then.

:smokin

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
I might have to break out my Nick Van Exel Laker jersey.

No telling what he'd do then.

Push a ref?

baseline bum
04-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Man, Nick's the guy I'm happiest for. I've been a fan of his since the Denver days (sorry, I can't cheer for a Laker). Anyone who's old school knows I was pissed when Dallas got him for nothing, with us missing out.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Even Shawn Bradley was impressed by tonight's game from Nick.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/pete_mcentegart/03/09/ten.spot/p1_bradleyflex_getty.jpg

timvp
04-23-2006, 01:01 AM

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/pete_mcentegart/03/09/ten.spot/p1_bradleyflex_getty.jpg

:lol

Nice.

RON ARTEST
04-23-2006, 01:02 AM
yeah hes still a productive player that seems to hit alot of big shots when it matters. i was surprised when someone made that thread about him being left off the playoff roster. that was just stupid.

Spurologist
04-23-2006, 01:03 AM

word is spreading that he was dunked on after that gesture

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-23-2006, 01:06 AM
word is spreading that he was dunked on after that gesture

No more hijacking, but when wasn't Shawn Bradley dunked on?

Spurminator
04-23-2006, 01:06 AM
Great game for Van Exel. I liked the setup that had Manu running the point with Van Exel playing the 2-guard. Manu's penetration is much more dangerous and having NVE to kick it out to is deadly.

timvp
04-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Van Exel's stint on the Spurs has gone exactly like I thought. Slow regular season where he takes some dumb shots and makes some bad passes. I knew he'd look slow on defense at times. I also knew that in the playoffs, there aren't many other players I'd rather have taking a big shot.

baseline bum
04-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Props for supporting dude all season, timvp.

A-Train
04-23-2006, 01:28 AM
NVE/Manu/Bowen/Horry/Duncan

Who does a team leave in the 4th?

SequSpur
04-23-2006, 01:57 AM
When X hit the second three, we were standing up giving the X sign down low.

timvp
04-23-2006, 02:00 AM
When X hit the second three, we were standing up giving the X sign down low.

Batting Practice Forum

SequSpur
04-23-2006, 02:01 AM
Batting Practice Forum

Sequ Jr. Forum.

TwoHandJam
04-23-2006, 09:25 AM
I gotta say that I was pretty surprised at how well Nick played last night. I had left him for dead a couple of months ago. I hope he can continue to play at this level without shooting us out of games by jacking up ill-advised shots. He stayed within the system last night and was really efficient. Keep it up Nick.