PDA

View Full Version : Did Manu REALLY hit Artest in the Nose with an Elbow?

Sec24Row7
04-23-2006, 09:20 AM
At the game it looked to me like a flop.

I came back and watched all the replays in slow motion on TiVO and I saw NO contact whatsoever.

I personally think that he set out with a gameplan to do that on the first play and try to set the tone of the game... kind of Rodmanesque.

Didn't work.

Did anyone have a better angle than I did at the game?

He definitely sold the contact, but there wasn't any.

CosmicCowboy
04-23-2006, 09:26 AM
It sure looked to me like Manu popped his ass...I was at the game and looking right at it when it happened...I just assumed that TV would replay/replay/replay it cuz it sure didn't look like an accident to me...

mike detroit
04-23-2006, 09:26 AM

I came back and watched all the replays in slow motion on TiVO and I saw NO contact whatsoever.

I personally think that he set out with a gameplan to do that on the first play and try to set the tone of the game... kind of Rodmanesque.

Didn't work.

if he did, my opinion of manu just went up a lot!

alamo50
04-23-2006, 09:32 AM
All I got to say is that we don't have a Mario Elie/Kevin Willis guy to prevent what is going to happen during the rest of this series.......

mike detroit
04-23-2006, 09:33 AM
All I got to say is that we don't have a Mario Elie/Kevin Willis guy to prevent what is going to happen during the rest of this series.......

expect Ron to throw someone into the scorers table "in the spirit of competition" before the series is out.

SpursWoman
04-23-2006, 09:37 AM
We were sitting on the other end of the court when that happened ... and the angle on TV wasn't really good when we watched it again when we got home .... to really see it clearly, but even if there was contact, it didn't look like enough for the reaction it got.

exstatic
04-23-2006, 09:51 AM
When I think elbow, I think the point or angle. It looked like he kind of cleared out, and part of his forearm high up near the elbow whacked Artest pretty good. In defense of Manu, he was NOT looking at or facing Artest when it happened. He was tryng to turn the corner on a drive, and Artest was basically behind him at that point. The final count, however, was:

Spurs 1
Artest 2

He really whacked both Manu and Tony in the second half. He was facing both players, and followed through.

Marklar MM
04-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Artest had a banged up lip, that is for sure.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2006, 10:11 AM
My respect for Manu isn't cuz he was willing to take it to Artest, it's cuz he entered the game, not afraid or intimidated by his crazy-ass, and he was willing to take him on from the get go.
Some opponents fans might mistake Manu's aggressiveness with being dirty, but I just don't see that Karl Malonesque/John Stockton nerve in the guy. That elbow wasn't intentional it seems. He's just a fearless motherfucker who'll attack and attack.

Here's a small quote from Manu on the incident:

Ginobili helped set the tone on the opening possession. After Artest knocked the ball from his hands, Ginobili scrambled after it and flung back his left arm, catching Artest flush in the face with his elbow.

Artest crumbled to the floor and Ginobili drove to the basket, jamming his knee into the gut of Brad Miller. Ginobili received an offensive foul, but the message was clear: The Spurs wanted to attack.

"I felt I hit something," Ginobili said, "but I didn't know it was his face." :lol

Artest returned the favor in the third quarter, applying his forearm to the side of Ginobili's head.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042306.1C.BKNspurs.kings.game1.312757a.html

It sounds funny and worse than it is. Elbowing one King to the face, and then kneeing another one in the gut in the first minute.
I think after Artest kept running his big fat mouth this whole week, Karma manifested itself through Manu's elbow.
...and Brad Miller's knee to the gut was from, well, he's just a douchebag.

ALVAREZ6
04-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I wish we still had Kevin Willis. I loved that guy even though he would miss so many dunks because he tried to slam them in too hard.

We need an enforcer.

angel_luv
04-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Ginobili helped set the tone on the opening possession. After Artest knocked the ball from his hands, Ginobili scrambled after it and flung back his left arm, catching Artest flush in the face with his elbow.

Artest crumbled to the floor and Ginobili drove to the basket, jamming his knee into the gut of Brad Miller. Ginobili received an offensive foul, but the message was clear: The Spurs wanted to attack.

"I felt I hit something," Ginobili said, "but I didn't know it was his face."

Artest returned the favor in the third quarter, applying his forearm to the side of Ginobili's head.

I heard Gino about both incidents on the news. He diffused the reporter's questions by explaining that both his hit and Artest's hit were just game time contact.

Of Artest's whack on him, Gino said, " He did not hit me that hard."

I also that that " I didn't know it was his face" comment was funny. :)

And if Gino was going to accidently smack anyone, I am happy it was Artest.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2006, 11:11 AM
We need an enforcer.
Is there anyone close to an enforcer in the last two years?

ShoogarBear
04-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Massenburg last year. Never really used as one, but the threat was always there on the bench.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Some of you guys aren't paying attention, but we've got three Kevin Willis types:

Nazr, Horry, and Van Exel. I think if we just wanted to knock the shit out of someone we could send in Oberto and tell him to swing a 'bow.

exstatic
04-23-2006, 11:26 AM
We could always have Nazr shoot some more 3 pointers at them. Apparently, that's the worst thing ever to happen to the Kings, so let's pour it on if Artest gets chippy. :angel

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2006, 11:29 AM
When I think elbow, I think the point or angle. It looked like he kind of cleared out, and part of his forearm high up near the elbow whacked Artest pretty good. In defense of Manu, he was NOT looking at or facing Artest when it happened. He was tryng to turn the corner on a drive, and Artest was basically behind him at that point. The final count, however, was:

Spurs 1
Artest 2

He really whacked both Manu and Tony in the second half. He was facing both players, and followed through.

What about his hit on Timmy?

ZStomp
04-23-2006, 11:42 AM

Spurs 1
Artest 2

I see it as

Spurs 1
Kings 0

SAGambler
04-23-2006, 11:47 AM

Didn't work.

Well, the blood came from somewhere. And then I read this morning he had to go for treatment after the game.

It was just that Ron's face got in the way of Manu's elbow as he was trying to drive to the basket. Still not sure why Manu got the foul though. It was as much Artest's fault as it was Manu's. If he's gonna get in someone's face he needs to expect to get the worst end of it at times.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Treatment? Good lord, it was a busted lip. If you've ever played basketball in your life you've gotten one at some point.

The only thing that needed treatment after last night was Artest's ego, because we basically ripped it up and shoved it down his throat.

alamo50
04-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Some of you guys aren't paying attention, but we've got three Kevin Willis types:

Nazr, Horry, and Van Exel. I think if we just wanted to knock the shit out of someone we could send in Oberto and tell him to swing a 'bow.

And if you would have paid attention you would know that Nazr ain't close to Willis, Nick just looks ghetto and Horry only goes for the nuts just like Ronnie likes it.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2006, 12:35 PM
He was bleeding, so yes there was contact.