PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Bee Columnist Calls For Kings Players To Intentionally Hurt Spurs

Kori Ellis
04-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Ailene Voisin: Kings, play some 'D' - or earn an 'F'
By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/14246940p-15064710c.html

SAN ANTONIO - The white flag went up five minutes into the game, five minutes into the postseason, or right about the time Tony Parker darted past Mike Bibby, caught Brad Miller with his back turned, and scored another in an endless series of unmolested layups.

Bibby thrust his hands in the air, gesturing wildly.

Bibby turned and stared, screamed at no one, screamed at everyone.
Where was the help? Where were his teammates? Where was the defense?

Where were the Kings?

Parker could have sprinted all the way to France before any of the visitors placed so much as a fingernail on his 6-foot-2, 180-pound frame, his early exploits establishing a pattern that persisted throughout the worst playoff performance in Kings franchise history.

Again and again, as if playing against sore-kneed baby boomers at the Y, the fourth-year point guard curled around screens, sliced between would-be defenders, scored with the left hand, scored with the right hand. Or he penetrated and passed to an open teammate for similarly uncontested deep jumpers. Or he did something else, say, slipped underneath for five rebounds, furthering the Kings' misery and enhancing the feeble essence of their effort.

"We knew exactly what they were going to do, and we couldn't stop them," Bonzi Wells said in a locker room that, with the exception of Bibby, was surprisingly devoid of emotion. "Tony Parker sucked us into the lane and exposed our defense.

"We had a lot of different schemes and none of them worked."

Here's a thought.

Why not get close to your man?

With apologies to Eva Longoria - and no one is suggesting anyone inflict serious harm to her longtime boyfriend - but the Kings are desperate here. The options against the defending world champs are all physically painful, yet given the alternatives, better than anything else that comes to mind. Sac's reputation as a vastly improved defensive team is about 48 minutes from being gutted.

A repeat performance Tuesday night, and the Kings can gather their belongings, slink back to Sac, and reclaim their familiar standing among the league's consistently agreeable opponents.

One would hope that, at least for a night, they could emulate the world champs and make a little noise. Heck, why not "Pop" someone once in a while?

The next time Spurs coach Gregg Popovich directs Parker to attack the lane, send a subtle forearm into the Frenchman's midsection. The next time Manu Ginobili shreds a double-team, land an elbow to the hip. The next time Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel, Brent Barry, etc., etc., etc., race into the deep corners, extend an arm and nick a wrist?

Ditto the next time Tim Duncan steps out and launches one of his patented bank shots, or backs into the lane for a turnaround, or hoists one of his half-hooks, or one of his step-throughs, or resorts to any of his other varied but amazingly basic tricks.

Someone, anyone.

Share your angst with the Spurs, or forget about it, forget about it all. The impressive midseason turnaround. The occasions when the ball was shared, when players collectively and eagerly pursued loose balls and rebounds, when the words of Ron Artest actually resonated. When the Kings of late 2005-06 actually seemed intent on establishing a new identity, embracing the fundamental concepts (defense and rebounding) that remain at the roots of any legitimate postseason program.

"We have to come with a different approach or maybe an entirely different game plan for Tuesday's game," offered Kenny Thomas. "It's not like the regular season anymore."

No, as the seedings indicate, the Spurs are the clearly superior team. Duncan is the most complete player in the game, and Parker and Ginobili are sensational counterparts. Additionally, the bench is deeper, the coaching is exceptional, and the home-court edge inside the AT&T Center is significant. But why assist in the execution? Why not at least offer the pretense of playing with a sense of purpose, of wanting to prolong life, and with the degree of intensity and mental acuity so common to the postseason, even among losing teams?

Instead, there was too much of the same. Brad Miller with one rebound. An astonishing 18 points in the paint allowed in the opening quarter. A pathetic disadvantage in rebounding (51-32). An early deficit that grew to 34 points before halftime.

Where were the Kings?

Better yet, who are the Kings?

We still don't know.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Hard defense or cheap shots?

angel_luv
04-23-2006, 02:04 PM
One would hope that, at least for a night, they could emulate the world champs and make a little noise. Heck, why not "Pop" someone once in a while?

The next time Spurs coach Gregg Popovich directs Parker to attack the lane, send a subtle forearm into the Frenchman's midsection. The next time Manu Ginobili shreds a double-team, land an elbow to the hip. The next time Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel, Brent Barry, etc., etc., etc., race into the deep corners, extend an arm and nick a wrist?

Oh no she didn't!

I do like her as a writer though.

infinite styles
04-23-2006, 02:05 PM

More like a woman frustrated that she just lost $1000 in an office bet that the Kings would win game 1.

While watching yesterday I was hoping that they would sit the starters cause I knew that either Artest or Bonzi were gonna get frustrated and start some shit. Game 2 is gonna be called closely with Bavetta and Palmer probably coming to town. So I'm already getting ready for a 4 hour free throw contest.
:rolleyes

chode_regulator
04-23-2006, 02:05 PM
former

angel_luv
04-23-2006, 02:06 PM
More like a woman frustrated thats he just lost $1000 in an office bet that the Kings would win game 1.

While watching yesterday I was hoping that they would sit the starters cause I knew that either Artest or Bonzi were gonna get frustrated and start some shit. Game 2 is gonna be called closely with Bavetta and Palmer probably coming to town. So I'm already getting ready for a 4 hour free throw contest.
:rolleyes

Hell hath no fury... :lol

boutons_
04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.bartleby.com/59/3/hellhathnofu.html

:)

ChumpDumper
04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Whenever anybody puts out a call to hit people, he/she is admitting defeat.

angel_luv
04-23-2006, 02:22 PM

"Bee" stung! :lol

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2006, 02:23 PM
What is this bitch's email?

Kori Ellis
04-23-2006, 02:31 PM
You can email her at [email protected] or give her a ring at (916) 441-4100.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey that worked for the Nuggets and Sonics last year right? Cheap shots slowed down the spurs then too didn't it?

T Park
04-23-2006, 02:34 PM
yeah it worked on Tony too earlier in the year.

But Parker picked himself up and went back at em again.

This isn't the old Spurs where you can knock em down and expect them to fold up.

These boys have guts.

sa_butta
04-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I would expect a more physical game from the Kings, but cheap shots would be a sign of sore losers.

picnroll
04-23-2006, 02:37 PM
E-mailed to Voison.

I read your article related to the Kings deliberately throwing elbows to stomachs and hips. I hope parents of Sacramento children threw out that paper before their children had a chance to read that trash. Pathetic.

missmyzte
04-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Funny, I thought I did see them resorting to cheap shots in Game 1 and it still didn't help them any.

WalterBenitez
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
You can email her at [email protected] or give her a ring at (916) 441-4100.

I have a couple of cousins in the area... i"ll send them to say Hi to him :nutkick:

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Why is it that some ignorant writers confuse very easily good defense with cheap shots?

The Spurs are a great defensive team, but they are far away from being a thuggish team. Some people even call them "soft", so if you wanna play Spurs defense, the last thing you need is to go "Artest" beating up people.

Even if they chose to use the thuggish startegy, it won't work. Players like Manu or Tony will keep punishing you with penetrations, and many of your fouls will end in an And 1.

rayray2k8
04-23-2006, 03:00 PM
The Kings I believe aren't that type of team that can give cheap shots, throughout the whole series. Maybe Artest and Corliss Williamson, but thats about it.
If they wanna play that type of game, then they're gonna lose at that as well. :lol
:yield They'll be waiving the white flag very soon.

gospursgojas
04-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey that worked for the Nuggets and Sonics last year right? Cheap shots slowed down the spurs then too didn't it?

Exactly what I was thinking :tu

SenorSpur
04-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Rumors of the vast improvement in the Kings defense were greatly exaggerated.

Looked like same ol' porous Kings defense to me.

You would have thought Chris Webber was still on the team.

exstatic
04-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Werd :yield :yield :yield :yield

A-Train
04-23-2006, 03:17 PM
The white flag has been raised. One wonders if she watched the game past the 1st quarter, because Artest was certainly following her theme later on.

What a difference a game makes. Before the game, the Spurs were the weakened champs, a team ripe for the upset by an team revitalized by a midseason acquisition, a team that supposedly had shown that they can win in the at&t Center. Now the Spurs are the 300 lbs playoff gorilla.

LilMissSPURfect
04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
dumb!

Summers
04-23-2006, 04:48 PM
The options against the defending world champs are all physically painful, yet given the alternatives, better than anything else that comes to mind.

How 'bout losing with a little dignity and good sportsmanship? Maybe they didn't teach ethics in her journalism school.

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Bernie Lincicome has moved to Sacramento and taken a new name??

Samr
04-23-2006, 05:01 PM
to: [email protected]
subject: “D” not defined as dirty play

Re: “Kings, play some ‘D’ – or earn an ‘F’”

I must admit, shamelessly, that I am a fan of defense. No, it is not the running and gunning style of play that draws me to the game (attributed often to the likes of the Mavericks, and more specifically, the Suns); it is the hard-nosed, in-your-face style of defense that really gets me going.

As a Spurs fan, I have been exposed to this approach almost overwhelmingly so, and I would only be naïve in attributing my preferences to anything but. It is nothing short of poetic that the Spurs use this defensive approach to the game in defense of their third title.

So I understand where you are coming from.

I understand that it creates a certain amount of frustration to see an opponent run to 73-39 halftime lead and conclude with a 122-88 win. In fact, I would be entirely sympathetic if you broke several expensive electronics in response, and to that extent, my empathy allows for a basic level of emotional anger directed towards the Spurs. It is understandable. It is natural. It is logical.

What is not logical, however, is to take that anger onto a public stage.

As a journalist, it is my understanding that you have a certain amount of obligation, both toward your readers and toward your editors, to act in a manner appropriate for a public figure in your position. I am sure you are well aware of your responsibility to rise above the drama and bickering that is typical of the events you cover, and instead to offer a unique and palatable perspective of the event to your reading audience.

Anyone can start a fight. It is the journalist’s job to tell why it happened.

So given your response, I feel I can safely draw a comparison to the parents who involve their children in little league sports for the express purpose of instilling a sense of fairness and humility, then rush the field or attack the officials when a call does not go their way. These actions are thoroughly reprehensible, and in almost all cases, there is absolutely zero evidence to strengthen an argument on the parents’ behalf.

I quote from your article, directly, “The options against the defending world champs are all physically painful, yet given the alternatives, better than anything else that comes to mind….. One would hope that, at least for a night, they could emulate the world champs and make a little noise. Heck, why not "Pop" someone once in a while?”

As an assumingly respectable adult, you should be able to see that there are, in fact, alternatives, albeit ones that may not agree with your preferences.

Parents enroll their children in sports so they can learn that they do not always win, and when they do lose, they learn how to act as adults. They are taught not to throw a bat, or a ball, or an elbow, but instead to give a smile, a nod, and shake hands with their opponent.

It is the game, after all, that draws the children to the field, and fills arenas with fans. It is the competition that will forever keep us enamored with professional sports, and by its very definition, we are to expect the occasional loss, and retaliate with further devotion, not physical rebuttal.

Strike three. You’re out. Game over. Time to smile, shake hands, and carry yourself as an adult. Not throw the very elbows our breeding has taught us to avoid.

Email sent.

Normally I would close in, politely, asking her to go to hell, although it appears she is already in a far, far worse place.

Bitch.

phyzik
04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Email sent.

Normally I would close in, politely, asking her to go to hell, although it appears she is already in a far, far worse place.

Bitch.

:owned

jn77
04-23-2006, 06:02 PM
One wonders if she missed the Elbows that Artest threw at Manu and Tim later in the game! I don't think the Kings really needed any encouragement to play dirt. I expect Tuesday's game to be more physical and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of extra elbows from artest. I plan to lead the Boo birds in Section 217 on Tuesday anytime Ron Artest touches the ball!

Tek_XX
04-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Artest might buy into this but im not sure bibby would give an elbow but he might surprise me.

Supergirl
04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
We've seen this before - last year, 1st round against Denver, the writers in Denver were calling for the same cheap shots. It's pathetic.

Sense
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Funny, I thought I did see them resorting to cheap shots in Game 1 and it still didn't help them any.

I agree, that one Ron had on Manu pissed me off!

But I think this is a little of both, this person wants hard defense from the Kings, but explaining with detail makes u wonder.

Vashner
04-23-2006, 10:59 PM
The only thing I would tell that guy is... "how's your fishin?" heheh

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Just goes to show you that the majority of the women outside of this site who think they know something about basketball actually don't.

ducks
04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
stern will see this article has called the refs anything ron does with the elbows that is close to a flagrant will be one now

ducks
04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
and the king players can thank this female

Spurologist
04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
idiotic bitter columnist overreacting after seeing Artest get busted in the mouth and then his team get humiliated on national television by a far superior team. He's taking it a bit too personally and needs to check himself into anger management immediately. Perhaps it'd be best if he did this after the series.

boutons_
04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
I wish Pop would have sent the foul of Artest's elbow to Manu's head to the league. That should have been a FF2 and ejection, maybe a suspension.

Isn't everything from neck up an auto FF2?

Reminded me of Artest's elbow to Rip's throat a couple years ago.

ashbeeigh
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
I just heard Don and Dave talk about this on Sports Sunday. Afterwards they brought in another Bee columist who is in town, Sam Amick, to talk about what the Kings need to do to do beter. Umm. P.S. There isn't anything.

rayray2k8
04-24-2006, 12:44 AM
same shit every year....can't stop parker or ginobili.....so lets hack 'em and see if the officials make the calls.
You'd think they'd be used to it by now. :lol
That's probably the only way they can stop Manu and Tony.
On the other hand, Sacramento did pack it in, which forceed them to drive and kick out to an open man. It wont make a difference what the Kings do If the spurs are knocking down their outside shots.

veronicamae
04-24-2006, 01:20 AM
What is this bitch's email?

What was this thread about? I completely forgot w/ that signature of yours... lol

ponky
04-24-2006, 02:22 AM
I think he means hard defense obviously not HURT someone jsut for the purpose of hurting them. The same thing was said about the Raptors when they let Kobe rack up 82 points. Barkley said that would never have happened if he had been playiing, one hard foul to lay his ass on the ground and he would think twice about driving to the lane. I hate it when silly things like this get taken out of proportion. If you don't foul hard when someone is driving to the lane then they will continue to exploit that option...as Parker does, BECAUSE HE CAN!

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-24-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.frankgalasso.com/IMAGES/caricatures/howard%20stern.jpg

cs100
04-24-2006, 04:23 AM
Whatever her reasons, the League will now be watching Artest very closely for the next few games. :oops

Samr
04-24-2006, 06:29 AM
EN today said Artest's elbow is under review. I expect it to be a FF1, but the reprocutions of this will last all series.

If there is one thing Stern dislikes more than the Spurs, it's Artest.

wildbill2u
04-24-2006, 08:19 AM

Everyone knows that some extracurricular actions go on in games, especially during the playoffs, but I was surprised that a columnist would advocate things that would clearly be designed to inflict injuries on the opposing players.

Those illegal fouls are more than just holding onto a shirt or bumping someone off their spot.

rwb
04-24-2006, 08:43 AM
My first reaction at the article was that I was pissed off and incredulous that anyone should advocate beating opposing players up to make them think twice about repeating their actions (and my thoughts going back to last year's Denver and Seattle games where those teams did the same thing and still lost). But then Manu singlehandedly made that move in his first possession...but it seemed to scare everyone on Sac's team. I guess Artest uses his mouth too much and Miller just didn't want to get hit in the nuts again. Although ESPN's commentators were awful, I agreed with them that Manu was making a statement off the bat that the Spurs weren't going to be anyone's bitch. But beyond that one incident, I didn't see anything overtly agressive, just good basketball. Turning thuggish because you don't know how else to stop someone just leads to an earlier vacation at the fishing lake. Once it got down to just the Spurs and the Pistons last year it was nice to just be able and enjoy watching the game the way it should be played. I'm not a Detroit fan, but I respect them because they don't resort to the tactics the other teams do who know they're holding on the the post season by a thread.

DarkReign
04-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Meh...

I was saying the same thing in 05 when Manu was ripping the Pistons. Foul him...hard. Thats basketball.

Guards dont play in the trees without getting a few splinters.

pache100
04-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Here's my email to her:

I read your recent column in the Sacramento Bee, and I cannot tell you how disappointed I was in the theme of your article. You purport yourself to be a professional sports reporter? I call foul.

To entice, request, recommend, suggest, or even remotely desire one professional athlete to intentionally attempt to injure another is unacceptable. It's unacceptable for humans to wish injury on other humans, even in the most primitive and rustic situations. But, to want to see it happen in the arena of what used to be one of the most civilized and gentlemanly sports available is reprehensible. One of the reasons this sport has developed the aura of "thuggery" is taunts like the ones in your column. It flies in the face of human decency and good sportsmanship.

I would like to think you were not serious. But, have you thought of the impact of your words on impressionable young people looking to you for guidance? Have you thought of the impact of your words on people who are just looking for a reason to be violent?

Better yet, have you thought of the impact of your words on the fans of the team whose players you want to see these things happen to: "a subtle forearm into the Frenchman's midsection/land an elbow to the hip (of Ginobili)/extend an arm and nick a wrist (of Barry, Van Exel, or Finley)"? It does not give us a very positive impression of your city, its media, or fans of their basketball team.

That, ma'am is not inventive or innovative defense. That is not sportsmanship in any form or fashion. That is not the spirit of the game of American basketball. What is it? It is thuggery in its ugliest form possible in the world of sports: cheap shots; it is poor gamesmanship; it is what gives this country a bad name abroad (and right here at home, too); it is what leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those who might have looked on the series between the Sacramento Kings and the San Antonio Spurs as a good clean fun fight between two respectable teams on a hardwood court with a round ball and two nets... a good clean fight and nothing more. It is a misuse of your craft and you should be ashamed of yourself. I am ashamed of you.

Every foul the Sacramento players commit from now on will be suspect. In the back of everyone's mind will be the question…"Was that intentional? Did he mean to hurt our player?" Did you not think anyone from the enemy city (apparently as you perceive it) would read your smarmy, contrite, vicious little article? Did you not think we would take it to heart if we did? Your article was not cute and it certainly was not funny, whatever your intentions.

We did read it, and I have to tell you that I will never again respect you as a reporter as I have in the past, having read many of your articles. I will never again respect your newspaper, either, as I have in the past; they are, after all, the ones who published your vile tripe.

I wish the Kings well in this series. They are worthy opponents. I hope both teams continue to play with dignity and grace. I hope there are no injuries on either side.

signed:
Proud San Antonio Spurs Fan since 1973

(I'll let you know if she responds)

cheguevara
04-24-2006, 09:27 AM
If you can't beat them, hurt them. This gets old. We've seen this before from Denver/Seatle last year this year is the newer and suckier version of hack-a-spur.

Roscoe and the Body
04-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I love the irony of it all. Bruce Bowen plays tough defense, but other players are dirty. It's all fun and games when Bowen roughs up his man with his dirty tricks that he very often gets away with because that's just hard-nosed defense, yet when a beat reporter unaffiliated with the opposition team suggests playing that same style against the Spurs - thems fightin' words.

Gino was elbowed as retribution for elbowing Artest in the mouth earlier in the game with his reckless elbows. Innocent Manu can't do any wrong.

Truth be told, you'd love Artest if he was a Spur and detest Ginobili with his football(soccer) inspired flopping and Bowen and his bag of dirty tricks if they played for the opposition.

Beat writers are not doing their job if they don't get people talking. She's probably in her glory with all of your hate mail, because it means she's doing her job.

Catch you kids in the finals.

pache100
04-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I love the irony of it all. Bruce Bowen plays tough defense, but other players are dirty. It's all fun and games when Bowen roughs up his man with his dirty tricks that he very often gets away with because that's just hard-nosed defense, yet when a beat reporter unaffiliated with the opposition team suggests playing that same style against the Spurs - thems fightin' words.

Yeah, we love it when RayRay and all the others call Bruce dirty but everybody else is "just playin' d", too. It works both ways. We aren't talking about Bruce here, anyway.

Gino was elbowed as retribution for elbowing Artest in the mouth earlier in the game with his reckless elbows. Innocent Manu can't do any wrong.

There was no call for retribution. It looked to me like Artest lost his balance and started to fall and fell into Ginobili's elbow as he was driving down the court; apparently the referees agree with me, as there was a no-call on that one. The foul Manu was called for on that possession happened under the basket, and it was a good call. I have to hand it to you, though; Artest is a good actor. He flopped real nice, there. Very effective laying on the floor on his stomach like he'd been gut-punched or something; the blood was a nice touch, although it took him a few seconds to get it started...and what *I* saw looked like it was coming from his nose.

Truth be told, you'd love Artest if he was a Spur and detest Ginobili with his football(soccer) inspired flopping and Bowen and his bag of dirty tricks if they played for the opposition.

Truth be told, I don't think I'd ever "like" Artest. I can't think of anything he could do to redeem himself with me. I respect his ability as a basketball player, but I don't think he uses his talents wisely and I detest him as a man. There have been other Spurs I didn't like, he would not be the first. My disliking him has nothing to do with the team he plays for at any given moment.

Beat writers are not doing their job if they don't get people talking. She's probably in her glory with all of your hate mail, because it means she's doing her job.

Whatever. She's still wrong. Inciting to riot is never a good tactic for "getting people talking". There is a right way and a wrong way to do every job. This was wrong, IMO.

Catch you kids in the finals.

Nah...don't think so. We can't both go.

rayray2k8
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, we love it when RayRay and all the others call Bruce dirty but everybody else is "just playin' d", too. It works both ways. We aren't talking about Bruce here, anyway.

What the hell did I do????? :madrun ( :lol :rolleyes )
I just had to point that out.
sorry. :p
Anyways, go on.

smdanss
04-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Ailene Voisin is a bitch columnist for Sacramento Bee. Her work proves that the NBA decision on Ron Artest is just on time. :elephant :elephant

NoMoneyDown
04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many in Sacramento were applauding Stern's 1-year suspension of Artest when he was with Indy. Now, all at once, he's a saint?

pache100
04-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many in Sacramento were applauding Stern's 1-year suspension of Artest when he was with Indy. Now, all at once, he's a saint?

You know, I'm getting about sick and tired of this childish practice of putting words in others' mouths. I have never said Artest is a saint. I not only supported his other suspension, I thought he should have done jail time over that incident in Detroit. I never thought he should have been allowed back in the league to start with. But he was, they did not consult me on that decision.

I'm talking about the game yesterday, the perceived (by Ron) incident earlier in the game where his mouth and Ginobili's elbow came into contact with each other, and the subsequent flagrant retaliatory foul he committed later in the game that the NBA has determined warranted a suspension.

That is all I'm talking about in any discussion of this incident. Nothing else, no previous infractions by or to Artest, have any bearing on the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

pache100
04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
What the hell did I do????? :madrun ( :lol :rolleyes )
I just had to point that out.
sorry. :p
Anyways, go on.

Sorry 'bout that rayray2k8, no insult intended. :angel

NoMoneyDown
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
You know, I'm getting about sick and tired of this childish practice of putting words in others' mouths. I have never said Artest is a saint. I not only supported his other suspension, I thought he should have done jail time over that incident in Detroit. I never thought he should have been allowed back in the league to start with. But he was, they did not consult me on that decision.

Who in the hell said I was responding to you?

pache100
04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Who in the hell said I was responding to you?

Sorry if you weren't; sure looked that way to me. Maybe you should indicate who you are talking to?

Solid D
04-24-2006, 01:48 PM
It looked to me like Artest lost his balance and started to fall and fell into Ginobili's elbow as he was driving down the court; apparently the referees agree with me, as there was a no-call on that one. The foul Manu was called for on that possession happened under the basket, and it was a good call. I have to hand it to you, though; Artest is a good actor. He flopped real nice, there. Very effective laying on the floor on his stomach like he'd been gut-punched or something; the blood was a nice touch, although it took him a few seconds to get it started...and what *I* saw looked like it was coming from his nose.

ESPN showed a different angle on it's replay than did FSN SW. The Fox Sports replay showed a fairly close shot from the baseline with Artest reaching for the ball down and across the front of Manu. As Manu got control of the ball with his right hand and started his move to the baseline, Manu's left elbow swung up and caught Ron in the mouth. It appeared to be inadvertent contact. The Express-News article said Ron had to have 3 stitches, and as swollen as it looked, I don't doubt that.

greyforest
04-24-2006, 01:50 PM

no, i'd abhor the choice to sign artest to the spurs. he is a goddamn scrub who's reputation is forever tarnished.

gino does acting, yes, we all know that. if you can look past that, though, you'll see that he is a very skilled player as well. the same may hold for ron artest, but as he is someone who single-handedly scarred the NBA's reputation, it is much harder to look past that.

pache100
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
ESPN showed a different angle on it's replay than did FSN SW. The Fox Sports replay showed a fairly close shot from the baseline with Artest reaching for the ball down and across the front of Manu. As Manu got control of the ball with his right hand and started his move to the baseline, Manu's left elbow swung up and caught Ron in the mouth. It appeared to be inadvertent contact. The Express-News article said Ron had to have 3 stitches, and as swollen as it looked, I don't doubt that.

Yeah, I saw his fat lip later. I also saw the still pictures from the ESPN film. It still looked, though, at the time, exactly like Artest slammed his face downward into Manu's elbow. It was like watching a damned cartoon. :lol

HAHA-That'sYourTeam??
04-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I saw his fat lip later. I also saw the still pictures from the ESPN film. It still looked, though, at the time, exactly like Artest slammed his face downward into Manu's elbow. It was like watching a damned cartoon. :lol

I know. I can't believe people would get all pissy about that one. Loose ball situation with two players going for the ball. I applaud Artests hustle on the play as well as Ginobili's, but if you go for a loose ball you may get inadvertantly popped. It's part of the game and Artest has been playing basketball long enough to know that. If he would have just left that alone (as Bibby, Miller, and the other Kings did) he would be playing in game two just like the rest of the Kings are. This isn't the Spurs', Kings', or NBA's fault. It's Artest's fault. Take responsibility for your actions.

mikejones99
04-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Most women should not be covering sports or be on the internet. This series is not over yet. Sac plays much better at home.

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Most women should not be covering sports or be on the internet. This series is not over yet. Sac plays much better at home.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

you are a very brave but stupid man.

Vashner
04-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Let's mail him a Zebco kiddy fishing rod combo with a note "From Spurstalk fans".

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM

I have a bigger problem with the women they have as sideline reporters, make them hotter and give them less to where.

mikejones99
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Really, that shelly smith has got real big and old fast.

Vingianx
04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
desperate words from a queens fan

ducks
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
did anyone get a email back from her?

ChumpDumper
04-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Locked but not deleted, fonts and color not copied:

I want BLOOD to be spilt!

I want the next Spur that drives down the lane to GET THEIR HEAD TAKEN OFF!

If this is how we'll be treated getting kicked while we're down... then I'm all for KICKING WHERE IT HURTS!

If we have to go down, I want this message sent:

If you punk us, we will MURDER YOU 10 TIMES OVER! I repeat....

MURDER YOU 10 TIMES OVER !!!!!

**** David Stern and his goon Stu !!!!!
You TOOK 2002 AWAY from us and now they want to ABUSE US, EMBARASS US!

I WISH A BLOODY PURPLE DEATH TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!Classy.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Locked but not deleted, fonts and color not copied:

Classy.
I agree. Good Lord, it's a fucking basketball game. People like that should move to Europe and become soccer goons.

LEONARD
04-24-2006, 05:30 PM
I guess I'm missing something here???

Where did she call for the Kings to "Intentionally Hurt Spurs"???

It looks like she's just calling for the Kings to be somewhat physical with the Spurs?? Since when is putting a forarm on somebody or extending an arm to nick a wrist calling for intentionally hurting people???

ChumpDumper
04-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Forearms to midsections?

Elbows to hips?

Yes, you are missing something.

It's ok, metroplex writers will be shovelling the same shit in a few weeks.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Forearms to midsections?

Elbows to hips?

Yes, you are missing something.

Absolutely. Anytime someone begins a sentence with, "...no one is suggesting anyone inflict serious harm, but..."

If someone in Dallas writes something like that, AJ will take immediate issue with it publicly.

alamo50
04-24-2006, 06:17 PM
stern will see this article has called the refs anything ron does with the elbows that is close to a flagrant will be one now

Nice one ducks!

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Officials have been instructed to eject a player who throws a punch, whether or not it connects, or an elbow which makes contact above shoulder level. If elbow contact is shoulder level or below, it shall be left to the discretion of the official as to whether the player is ejected. Even if a punch or an elbow goes undetected by the officials during the game, but is detected during a review of a videotape, that player will be penalized.