PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller is hinting at quiting

ducks
10-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Reggie Miller stopped just short of saying this will be his final season, although he certainly dropped hints of his intent.

“You know, if I was a Pacers fan here in Indiana, I would definitely tell them to, every home game we have, definitely come on out,” he said. “And if I was a Pacers fan in other cities, I would definitely tell them to check the schedule and see when the Pacers come to town.

"I’m going to let my body do its talking. Obviously, I know I have two years left (on his contract), so I’ll play it by ear. As of now, I’m focusing on this year, and we’ll see about the option year.”

During his 18th media day with the Pacers on Monday at Conseco Fieldhouse, Miller addressed not only his future, but his role with the team in the coming season. With the acquisition of Stephen Jackson has come speculation Miller might be headed to the bench. It appears not to be an issue with either of the principles involved.

“I’ve always been a starter, I’ve always played,” Miller said. “I just want to win. And I don’t get caught up into who’s starting and who’s not starting. I think more questions should be (asked) about us winning. Last year when I was 38, we won 61 ballgames and no one said anything. I don’t think a lot has changed in four months over the summer. So, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

Jackson, whose acquisition from Atlanta in a trade for Al Harrington was the team’s most significant offseason change, said he’d have no problem deferring to Miller.

“I have the utmost respect for Reggie and I honestly feel he should start,” Jackson said. “He said this might be his last year and I want him to go out the way he would love to, and that’s with a championship. Whatever the coach decides, I’m fine. Whatever Reggie decides, I’m fine.”

Coming off his lowest scoring season (a 10.0 average) since his rookie year (1987-88), Miller said his busy offseason of conditioning was aimed at his taking a more aggressive posture within the offensive scheme.

“I put a lot of time in, especially into conditioning my legs and my shot,” he said. “I’m looking to play how I played three, four years ago, especially in the postseason. I’m looking to contribute. I know I deferred a lot. Obviously, I’m still going to do that to a certain degree, but I’ve got to get a little bit of my aggression back. I want to be a little bit more aggressive, especially on the offensive end because I believe I can help this team out with perimeter shooting.

“I know we are an inside-out team, which is perfect. That’s what you have to be to win championships. You’ve got to have a low-post dominance, which we do with Ron (Artest) and Jermaine (O'Neal). With Jermaine garnishing double-teams, it’s my job, it’s Stephen’s job, it’s Jamaal (Tinsley)’s job to hit perimeter shots and create openings for Ron and Jermaine. I’m looking to do that this year. A lot of time I threw the ball in and I really didn’t care, but this year, I’m looking to be much more aggressive.”

That’s fine with Coach Rick Carlisle.

“I have to defer to his judgment,” Carlisle said. “He’s the guy that’s played 18 years. He knows his game. He’s been a guy that’s been unusually willing to defer to the younger guys on this team for the betterment of the growth of the franchise.

"I think all of us would welcome him being a little more aggressive, at times.”

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_reggie_041004.html

pooh
10-06-2004, 04:00 PM
all the pieces are in place...he's going to go out like Robinson, with a title.

samikeyp
10-06-2004, 04:40 PM
I thought he was supposed to win a title last season. :p

bigzak25
10-06-2004, 04:49 PM
i got nothing against reggie or the pacers....

but uh....point mikey.... :lmao

samikeyp
10-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks bro. :hat

Its a credit to Reggie though to be able to hang on this long.

pooh
10-06-2004, 05:18 PM
No point for Mikey, Reggie WILL win it this year.

Duff McCartney
10-06-2004, 05:35 PM
No point for Mikey, Reggie WILL win it this year.

Yeah Pooh..you said the same thing last year.

baseline bum
10-06-2004, 06:26 PM
If any team other than the Spurs wins it this year, I hope it's Indy. That would be sweet to see the greatest clutch performer in playoff history retire with a ring if Duncan doesn't get his third this year.

bigzak25
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
fuck no.....spurs or pistons....there is no other.....

timvp
10-07-2004, 01:04 AM
That would be sweet to see the greatest clutch performer in playoff history retire with a ring if Duncan doesn't get his third this year.

Why would Stephen Jackson retire at such a young age?

:wtf

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Why would Stephen Jackson retire at such a young age?

:wtf

:lmao

AlamoSpursFan
10-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Well, nobody else jumped on this gem, so I'll pounce...

all the pieces are in place...he's going to go out like Robinson, with a title.

If Cheryl Miller was going to go out like Robinson, she'd have to go out with TWO titles...

:lmao

Byron Kemp
10-07-2004, 05:35 AM
[B]Spurs kept their starting line up, unlike most NBA teams.
Pop did a great job this summer. I give him credit. We now have Berry added to the team.

samikeyp
10-07-2004, 08:07 AM
I do get a point because what I said was valid. :)