PDA

View Full Version : Artest's hard foul under league review

TMTTRIO
04-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Spurs-Kings notebook: Artest's hard foul under league review
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042406.09D.SPURS_notebook.140a421.html
Web Posted: 04/24/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The NBA is reviewing whether Ron Artest's foul on Manu Ginobili in Saturday's game warrants being upgraded to a flagrant violation, a league official said Sunday.

Artest hit Ginobili in the side of the face with his forearm early in the third quarter of the Spurs' 122-88 victory. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich immediately complained to the officials that Artest deserved a flagrant foul.

If the foul is upgraded to a flagrant 1 penalty, Artest could receive a small fine, if that. In the less likely event the league decided to change it to a flagrant 2 foul, Artest could be suspended for Tuesday's game.

When deciding whether to reclassify a foul or levy a fine and/or suspension, the NBA weighs: the severity of the foul; whether the foul led to an altercation; and the level of the injury sustained by the player who was fouled. Given that Ginobili wasn't seriously injured, it seems unlikely Artest would be given a flagrant 2 penalty.

Players are allowed to accumulate three flagrant points during the playoffs. Their fourth and subsequent points bring an automatic ejection.

Artest, who also hit Tim Duncan in the back of the head on one trip down the floor, took his share of punishment. On the game's opening possession, Ginobili elbowed him in the face while chasing the ball.

Artest needed three stitches to close the cut on his lip. He declined to talk to reporters Sunday for the second day in a row, citing the injury.

Different approaches: While Popovich gave the Spurs Sunday off, Sacramento coach Rick Adelman put his team through a two-hour film session followed by an hour-long practice.

Adelman thought it was important the Kings see the mistakes they made Saturday on film.

"We were very explicit with what went on," Adelman said. "They're the world champs, and they turned it up a notch — a big notch.

"You either respond to that or you don't ... I think they'll respond."

The Spurs will practice this afternoon.

No apologies necessary: If the Kings took offense to Nazr Mohammed's insult-on-top-of-injury 3-pointer in the closing seconds of Saturday's loss, they weren't letting on about it.

After Mohammed made the 3-pointer, the second of his career, he received a lengthy tongue-lashing from Popovich, who didn't want to give the Kings any reason to feel disrespected.

But Sacramento guard Mike Bibby said Mohammed's shot was understandable because the shot clock was winding down, and other Kings said they had bigger things to worry about than a garbage-time basket.

"The 30 points they beat us by was disrespectful," forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim "I'm more concerned with that than (Mohammed) hitting the 3."

Simply stated: It didn't take a genius for the Kings to determine why they were outrebounded badly in Game1 and what it will take to turn things around in Game2.

"We just have to rebound harder," starting guard Bonzi Wells said. "That's it. We've got to go get them. We thought somebody else was going to get them in the first game."

RON ARTEST
04-24-2006, 12:31 AM
im a huge artest fan but that elbow to manu was clearly retaliation. i hope he doesnt get suspended. if he does can you say 2-0? :lol

Vashner
04-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Na just playoff bumping.

timvp
04-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Eh, let him play. Manu is a warrior.

TMTTRIO
04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
he won't get anything but I think the league will be watching it closely

RON ARTEST
yeah hes an underated player in my mind.

RON ARTEST
he won't get anything but I think the league will be watching it closely
very closely.

Buddy Holly
04-24-2006, 12:38 AM
I believe because of that hit by Artest, Manu was unable to speak to the media after the game and had they practiced today he also would not have been able to speak.

RON ARTEST
04-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I believe because of that hit by Artest, Manu was unable to speak to the media after the game and had they practiced today he also would not have been able to speak.
damn.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 12:43 AM

yeah hes an underated player in my mind.

Manu's a relief from the usual whining NBA bitches. He tried to downplay Artest's swipe and said it wasn't intentional and that he didn't feel anything.

I hardly see this guy complain and he's taken a lot of unnecessary hard fouls.

Buddy Holly
04-24-2006, 12:43 AM
I know, I mean why can't he just sack it up like Ron who talked to the media even though he almost had to be ruished to ER with that busted lip.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 12:45 AM

Where'd you hear that? Are you confusing that with Artest? I saw a couple post game interviews from manu yesterday.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 12:46 AM
oh oops, nevermind. :lol

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2006, 12:58 AM
As you can see, it's purely incidental

Kori Ellis
04-24-2006, 01:00 AM

Was this supposed to be a joke? :lol

Manu spoke to the media after the game and even talked about the elbows. The video of the interview is up on SpursZONE.com.

E20
04-24-2006, 01:01 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/manu_060422.wma

There is Manu's postgame audio. Listen to hear what he says about it. I love how he plays dumb. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Pop said he had no problem with how Artest played (in regards to the hard fouls/elbows). It's odd to me that the league is even reviewing it. Stuff like that happens to Manu all the time.

Buddy Holly
04-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Was this supposed to be a joke? :lol

Yes, making fun of Artest.

Buddy Holly
04-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Pop said he had no problem with how Artest played (in regards to the hard fouls/elbows).

He sure didn't seem to not have a problem with it when he was yelling at the refs about the elbow.

rayray2k8
As you can see, it's purely incidental

It does look like Artest stuck his elbow out and just looked away, but It also looks like Manu's head moved back before he even came in contact with Ron's elbow.
So... i dont know. :depressed

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
I didn't see it live, but it doesn't look like much...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 01:12 AM
It does look like Artest stuck his elbow out and just looked away, but It also looks like Manu's head moved back before he even came in contact with Ron's elbow.
So... i dont know. :depressed Don't let Artest's "look away" fool you. that was planned He saw manu getting around miller look straight him coming around , then intentionally looked away for the cameras, then jutted the forearm forward for no reason. Then looks back at his little piece of work, Funny guy...It's too obvious. There was no ball there to go after, like Manu's elbow. Ive watched enough NBA games with Malone, these NBA players are sneaky. That was clearly Artest retaliating.

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2006, 01:13 AM
It looks like he got him with a forearm

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 01:13 AM
oh yeah. I meant to put forearm

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 01:18 AM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1143/minibibby6lo.gif

Did you really need to photoshop Bibby's head over Mini Mes? I could barely tell the difference.
:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2006, 01:28 AM
It will be upgraded to a flagrant 1, because the league will want to send a message for that shit to be knocked off or else.

Different approaches: While Popovich gave the Spurs Sunday off, Sacramento coach Rick Adelman put his team through a two-hour film session followed by an hour-long practice.

Awesome, we took the day off. Yep, sounds like Pop is taking Sacramento seriously :rolleyes He should have been running their asses and reminding them not to take things lightly after that laugher.

Prepare to lose game 2 Tuesday. I think we lost every game last year where we 'took the day off' following a win.

Melmart1
04-24-2006, 01:37 AM
It will be upgraded to a flagrant 1, because the league will want to send a message for that shit to be knocked off or else.

Awesome, we took the day off. Yep, sounds like Pop is taking Sacramento seriously :rolleyes He should have been running their asses and reminding them not to take things lightly after that laugher.

Prepare to lose game 2 Tuesday. I think we lost every game last year where we 'took the day off' following a win.

Since there are two days between games and some of the Spurs are still a little shaky health-wise... why not take the day off? And this isn't last season. If it was, we would be a game down to the Nuggets.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 01:42 AM

Prepare to lose game 2 Tuesday. I think we lost every game last year where we 'took the day off' following a win. You should get used to the Spurs Complacency, they always ease up when they're ahead. But still, Manu acknowledged there's naturally gonna be a sense of satisfaction after a game like that, and that they have to be very humble, as always.

But yeah, this year's a little different. THat game earned the Spurs their number 1 priority, which is health. They're pretty much pacing what's best for the team players. There's nothing to fix for the most part, unlike the Kings. I'm pretty sure they're gonna take game 1's game plan. Aggressive, attack and adjust to the King's tuning.

As long as they don't underestimate the Kings they can scrap for a win on Tuesday to be up 2-0 from the homegames...But you never know.

T-Pain
04-24-2006, 01:43 AM
And people say Bowen is a dirty player

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2006, 05:40 AM
No apologies necessary: If the Kings took offense to Nazr Mohammed's insult-on-top-of-injury 3-pointer in the closing seconds of Saturday's loss, they weren't letting on about it.

After Mohammed made the 3-pointer, the second of his career, he received a lengthy tongue-lashing from Popovich, who didn't want to give the Kings any reason to feel disrespected.

But Sacramento guard Mike Bibby said Mohammed's shot was understandable because the shot clock was winding down, and other Kings said they had bigger things to worry about than a garbage-time basket.

"The 30 points they beat us by was disrespectful," forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim "I'm more concerned with that than (Mohammed) hitting the 3."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

How do you like the playoffs now Reef?

What a pussy, go play in the WNBA or something...complaining about our center who can't shoot for fuck hitting a 3 on you guys. That is hilarious, and it's their fault for sucking so bad.

He's basically saying that since Mohammed sucks, he isn't allowed to chip in with the beat down because it is disrespectful.

What a pussy.

You got owned, move on.

boutons_
04-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Artest's history, from the Detroit stands brawl to all his other the nutcase FFs, is that he should be already be under the strictest, microscopic review.

His elbow to Manu's head deserves FF2, fine, and one-game suspension. That it didn't injure Manu is irrelevant. His intent to hit Manu in the head is all that matters.

There were a lot of warnings that Artest would "repeat" at Sac, and he has.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-24-2006, 06:46 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

What a pussy, go play in the WNBA or something...complaining about our center who can't shoot for fuck hitting a 3 on you guys. That is hilarious, and it's their fault for sucking so bad.

He's basically saying that since Mohammed sucks, he isn't allowed to chip in with the beat down because it is disrespectful.

What a pussy.

You got owned, move on.
what?? from where did you get that?? he said he was more concerned about the 30 point loss than Mohammed's three. You must be high on something

austinfan
04-24-2006, 06:52 AM
The League doesn't want the main story coming out of Round 1 of the playoffs--right when your more casual fans are starting to tune in to the games--to be Artest's craziness. They'd much prefer the focus to be on LeBron, or on How Many Points Will Kobe Make Tonight. So it looks like they're sending Artest a msg that they plan to keep him on a very short leash for the duration. Luckily for them, that duration looks like it will only be 3 or 4 more games.

boutons_
04-24-2006, 07:23 AM
//"The 30 points they beat us by was disrespectful," forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim//

"The bench accounted for 52 of the team's 122 points while no starter played more than 25 minutes."

Hey, Shareef, Spurs starters played about 2 qtrs each.

What's the winning coach to do? Forfeit the game out of respect for his deceased opponent?

cheguevara
04-24-2006, 09:03 AM
So my question is, did Manu call Stu Jackson to complain???

cheguevara
04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1143/minibibby6lo.gif

:lmao

Sec24Row7
04-24-2006, 11:23 AM
from www.kingsfans.com

piksi

Posts: 8,468 Ron should have hit him harder and on several occasions. Manu is a wuss, crybaby, flpooer and a dirty player also. He is due a beating - really

sve je pijano, sve je gotovo, nasa ZVEZDA prvak ponovo

What a tool lol

You can call Manu lots of things, but those three in bold are about as far away from the truth as you can possibly be.

ManuTastic
04-24-2006, 11:29 AM
"The 30 points they beat us by was disrespectful," forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim

How the hell is that disrespect??

cheguevara
04-24-2006, 11:29 AM
from www.kingsfans.com

piksi

Posts: 8,468 Ron should have hit him harder and on several occasions. Manu is a wuss, crybaby, flpooer and a dirty player also. He is due a beating - really

sve je pijano, sve je gotovo, nasa ZVEZDA prvak ponovo

What a tool lol

You can call Manu lots of things, but those three in bold are about as far away from the truth as you can possibly be.

You obviously haven't visited kingstalk.com the Manu-hating capital of the capital of California.

http://www.kingstalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6931

I can't stand that beak nosed, greasy haired, third world growing up in, pasty skinned, pouty little bitch.

I have absolutely no idea how this guy is an effective NBA player. He ONLY drives to his left. If he finds himself forced to drive right, he'll do a 180 in the air so he can attempt a left handed layup. He outright sucks.

But for whatever reason, no NBA defender has been able to figure that the Falkland Island invading goat herder plays like his right hand is tied behind his back.

Eff Ginobli.

greyforest
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
everyone hates manu, except the people that have him on their team. :fro

as far as i know ginobili hasn't gone in to a crowd and started beating on fans, so i'd say he's not a dirty or disrespectful player. that's more than i can say for a certain sacramento player.

SAGambler
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM

I think you may have misread what he was saying. He wasn't chipping at Nazr for the 3 pointer. Basically I think what he was saying was the team should be embarrased enough by the 30 they were already down. And no reason to dwell on that extra 3 by Nazr.

It doesn't really matter if you get beat by 30, 40 or 50...Any of those is a total beatdown. And especially when you have proclaimed yourself "The team to beat".

I look for a closer game Tuesday, but still think the Spurs win by double digits. But most of it will come in the 4th quarter. Up until then, I look for it to stay close.

rayray2k8
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Did you really need to photoshop Bibby's head over Mini Mes? I could barely tell the difference.

No not really... It didnt take that long to make it, to be honest with you.
But its SOOO funny to look at. I just cant stop staring at it, no lesser than 5 seconds for some reason.

Dunc
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
According to Jim Rome (no link, sorry), Ron Artest has been suspended one game without pay. Also, Udonis Haslem has been suspended one game. Dammit, and I thought that game 2 would be the one that Ron Ron would go ballistic.

ducks
04-24-2006, 11:56 AM
wow

Solid D
04-24-2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/artest_060424.html

Sacramento’s Ron Artest Suspended

NEW YORK, April 24, 2006 – Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings has been suspended one game without pay for making forearm contact to the head of Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.
The incident occurred with 9:07 remaining in the third period of the Spurs’ 122-88 win over the visiting Kings at AT&T Center on April 22. Artest will miss Game 2 of the series, which will be played at the AT&T Center on Tuesday, April 25.

pache100
04-24-2006, 11:59 AM
According to Jim Rome (no link, sorry), Ron Artest has been suspended one game without pay. Also, Udonis Haslem has been suspended one game. Dammit, and I thought that game 2 would be the one that Ron Ron would go ballistic.

:depressed

Dammit! I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I wanted to see Artest's head explode. By now, that's probably already happened. :spin

bdubya
04-24-2006, 01:21 PM

Dammit! I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I wanted to see Artest's head explode.

Right back atcha:

http://tinypic.com/igxetv.gif

A perennial classic.

cheguevara
04-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Dammit! I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I wanted to see Artest's head explode. By now, that's probably already happened. :spin

exactly!!!

On game 2 Ron would have gone Tyson on the Spurs and I would have laughed my ass off(as long as none of the Spurs got injured)

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 05:19 PM
When deciding whether to reclassify a foul or levy a fine and/or suspension, the NBA weighs: the severity of the foul; whether the foul led to an altercation; and the level of the injury sustained by the player who was fouled. Given that Ginobili wasn't seriously injured, it seems unlikely Artest would be given a flagrant 2 penalty.

It seems interesting that the NBA would reward someone for retailating to a foul when they consider reclassifying it. Perhaps a wiser tact would be to say, "If you retailate, the league will NOT reclassify it."

texbound
04-24-2006, 05:46 PM
"The 30 points they beat us by was disrespectful," forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim"

I'm hoping he meant to say "embarrassing".

Kind of reminds of that kid (can't remember who it was) from NC State a couple of years back who couldn't find the right word while giving an interview:

Reporter: "You're game, especially your ball handling, has really developed since last year"

Player: "Yeah, I can go left; I can go right; I'm amphibious"

Reporter: "You mean ambidextrous"

Player: "Like I said, amphibious"

One of my co-workers (UNC grad) has the quote at his desk.

Spurologist
04-24-2006, 05:51 PM
im a huge artest fan but that elbow to manu was clearly retaliation. i hope he doesnt get suspended. if he does can you say 2-0? :lol

you are speaking in the third person now. Your personalities have come a long way.