PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 predictions for playoffs, but don't bet on them

mcornelio
04-24-2006, 08:22 AM
TWENTY NBA PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS:
Deseret Morning News, Sunday, April 23, 2006
http://deseretnews.com/logos/l_jorg.jpg

1. Kobe Bryant will average 37 against the Suns. Not 37 points — 37 percent shooting on 37 shots per game.

2. Kobe will hit a game-winning shot against the Suns. But he'll also miss two game-winners and the Suns will win in six.

3. Sacramento will be no challenge to the Spurs. And the fresh-swept Kings will wish they had let the Jazz catch them for the No. 8 spot in the Western Conference.

4. Memphis will actually win a playoff game. But it won't nearly be enough. The Mavericks will advance in five games.

5. The Clippers will prove they did the right thing by losing to Memphis in the last week of the regular season in order to be the No. 6 seed against the Nuggets instead of the No. 5 seed against the Mavs. In the best series of the first round, Los Angeles will edge Denver in seven games.

6. The Pistons will get a wake-up call in the first round. They've been on cruise control since the All-Star break after lapping the rest of the Eastern Conference field. Milwaukee will win a game, but the Bucks will stop there. Detroit in five.

7. Shaquille O'Neal will Ostertag-slap the Bulls back to reality. Chicago ended the season by winning 12 of 14 games. The young Bulls actually think they can compete with the best. Miami will sweep.

8. The Pacers will play better than a 41-41 team. Indiana was injury-plagued all season. The cancer that was Ron Artest was successfully treated, but the Pacers were still mediocre. They are playoff tested, but the Nets will take advantage of the home-court and win in seven.

9. LeBron James will show why he's the best do-everything player since Magic Johnson. His triple-double in his first playoff game will just be a start. King James will lead the Cavs to the second round over the Wizards in just five games.

10. The Western Conference Finals will be played in the second round, when the West's two best teams — the Spurs and Mavs — play in the conference semifinals. Whichever team survives will be the overwhelming favorite to win the conference title.

11. The Mavs will pull the shocker. Dirk Nowitzki and Co. will down the defending champs in six games. All of Argentina will be sad for native son Manu Ginobili. But don't cry for Tony Parker, Argentina. San Antonio's point guard will have even more time to spend with Eva Longoria after the Spurs are eliminated from the playoffs.

12. Despite the foregone conclusion that the Mavs/Spurs series will be for the Western Conference title, the league will insist that the Clippers and Suns play their second-round series. The Suns will, of course, win. The Clippers can't possibly win two series, can they? They are still the Clippers, right?

13. The Pistons will play the role of the old Celtics, while LeBron will learn all about playoff basketball (while losing) like Michael Jordan did early in his career. James will lead the Cavs to one victory, but Detroit's teamwork will be far too much.

14. Dwyane Wade's star will continue to rise. The Heat certainly will be tested by the Nets, but will survive in six games to set up a rematch of last season's classic Eastern Conference Finals.

15. Reports of the Western Conference Finals being played in the second round will be proven to be untrue. The beat-up Mavs will have exerted so much energy to beat the Spurs that the run-and-gun Suns will win the Western Conference Finals in six games.

16. Shaq, after a season of inconsistency, will become remarkably consistent. The one-two tandem of O'Neal and Wade will push the incredible starting five of the Pistons to the limit — and then some. The Heat will upset the two-time defending Eastern Conference champs in seven hard-fought games.

17. Flip Saunders, who took over the Pistons from Larry Brown, will be labeled the goat. Critics will bring up his many seasons of playoff failures as the head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

18. The Suns vs. the Heat matchup in the Finals will cause headline writers across America to think they are clever by pointing out that both teams have "hot" nicknames. Example: Fiery Suns burn Heat

19. Who needs Kobe? Especially when you have Dwyane. Shaq-led Miami will win the NBA title in six games.

20. At least a dozen of these predictions will be dead wrong.

Please, I'm begging you, don't take the rent money out to Wendover with this information.

LINK (http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635201903,00.html)

SpursWoman
04-24-2006, 08:37 AM
20. At least a dozen of these predictions will be dead wrong.

I'd bet on that one. :lol :lol

missmyzte
04-24-2006, 08:46 AM
1. Kobe Bryant will average 37 against the Suns. Not 37 points — 37 percent shooting on 37 shots per game.
WRONG - just look at yesterday's box score

2. Kobe will hit a game-winning shot against the Suns. But he'll also miss two game-winners and the Suns will win in six.
WRONG - he may hit one game winner, but he won't miss 2.

7. Shaquille O'Neal will Ostertag-slap the Bulls back to reality. Chicago ended the season by winning 12 of 14 games. The young Bulls actually think they can compete with the best. Miami will sweep.
WRONG - I think Chicago can win 1 game at least

9. LeBron James will show why he's the best do-everything player since Magic Johnson. His triple-double in his first playoff game will just be a start. King James will lead the Cavs to the second round over the Wizards in just five games.
:rolleyes WRONG

11. The Mavs will pull the shocker. Dirk Nowitzki and Co. will down the defending champs in six games. All of Argentina will be sad for native son Manu Ginobili. But don't cry for Tony Parker, Argentina. San Antonio's point guard will have even more time to spend with Eva Longoria after the Spurs are eliminated from the playoffs.
WRONG - need I say more?

12. Despite the foregone conclusion that the Mavs/Spurs series will be for the Western Conference title, the league will insist that the Clippers and Suns play their second-round series. The Suns will, of course, win. The Clippers can't possibly win two series, can they? They are still the Clippers, right?
WRONG because the Clipps will be playing the Lakers

15. Reports of the Western Conference Finals being played in the second round will be proven to be untrue. The beat-up Mavs will have exerted so much energy to beat the Spurs that the run-and-gun Suns will win the Western Conference Finals in six games.
WRONG because it will be the Spurs playing in the WCF, not Dallas

16. Shaq, after a season of inconsistency, will become remarkably consistent. The one-two tandem of O'Neal and Wade will push the incredible starting five of the Pistons to the limit — and then some. The Heat will upset the two-time defending Eastern Conference champs in seven hard-fought games.
WRONG because Shaq old and over the hill

18. The Suns vs. the Heat matchup in the Finals will cause headline writers across America to think they are clever by pointing out that both teams have "hot" nicknames. Example: Fiery Suns burn Heat
WRONG because neither team will be in the Finals

19. Who needs Kobe? Especially when you have Dwyane. Shaq-led Miami will win the NBA title in six games.
WRONG because Kobe is the best player in the game and Miami will never win a title while Shaq is there.

1Parker1
04-24-2006, 09:22 AM
:lol Damn, this guy must really hate Kobe Bryant...:lol

Dunc
04-24-2006, 10:59 AM
This article really was a waste of his time and mine. I can't believe some people get paid to write shit like this.

SAGambler
04-24-2006, 11:14 AM
4. Memphis will actually win a playoff game. But it won't nearly be enough. The Mavericks will advance in five games.

The Mavs were damn lucky that the Grizz missed so many point blank shots, and that Gasol didn't show up to play the first half.

This could be the upset. But if no upset, I look for the Grizz to push them hard, and make a really tough series of it.

The big surprise was that either team managed to put up as many points as they did. I reallly expected all these games to be in the 80s.

I also look for some injuries to come out of this series. They are really lettin them bang on one another.

I look for this series to go to at least 6 games, and by the time the Mavs win it, they are going to be worn out.

Good news for the Mavs.... Dirk didn't disappear in the first game of the playoffs.

CubanMustGo
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
This article could have been titled "20 darts I threw at random." Only #20 hit the bulls-eye ... :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Typical hack sportswriter crap. Make 20 outlandish predictions and when one or two happens to occur he'll dig up a quote from the article to try to trick people into thinking he's got a brain.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Typical hack sportswriter crap. Make 20 outlandish predictions and when one or two happens to occur he'll dig up a quote from the article to try to trick people into thinking he's got a brain.

What's so wrong? All 19 are perfectly logical and capable of happening.

I bet all 19 have been posted in some form or another on this very message board.

For a columnist who made his own column the joke in #20, people sure seem to hate reading other's opinions when it's in print (or online).

I also bet that many people were chuckling to themselves until #11, when he became a "hack."

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
He gets paid to write his opinions based on what he sees.

They can't all be Spurs fans, people.

Kori said it in her roundtable with Don and Chance...it can't all be "Oh, the Spurs are awesome" all the time.

ashbeeigh
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Most of them are logical. I agree with Johnny. He gets paid, and we can all make our own 20 predictions. Why don't we do that?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Can anyone write for the Deseret Morning News?

LilMissSPURfect
04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
TWENTY NBA PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS:

1.Timmy Kicks Ass
2.Tony Kicks Ass
3.Manu Kicks Ass
4.ROHO kicks Ass
5.Finley Kicks ass
6.NVE Kicks Ass
7.Bowen Kicks Ass
8.NAZR kicks ass
9. Barry Kick Ass
10. Beno takes it in the @$$
11 Oberto Kicks Ass
12. Kiwi Kicks Ass!

I maybe wrong on some but hey if that dude can do it...why not join in in the fun!

Dunc
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
10. Beno takes it in the @$$

:lmao

Fantastic, lol