PDA

View Full Version : two blowouts

td4mvp3
04-24-2006, 09:01 AM
spurs and pistons show they're far and away better, at least for a game. i'm hoping some differences between the wins points to good things:

-- in the spurs win, no starter was above 25 minutes, while at least two pistons went to 40 and all above 30

-- spurs never let the kings get back in it, pistons let up on the gas a little

-- spurs beat a better opponent by more points

and just a question: is bibby a good guard tuneup for billups, in expectations that the spurs and pistons meet? billups is an inch taller and 12 pounds heavier than bibby, but still.

themvp
04-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Pedantry.

abmccray
04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
-- in the spurs win, no starter was above 25 minutes, while at least two pistons went to 40 and all above 30

Or...

- Pistons beat a better matchup for them, playing just like they did when they were cruising through the regular season (except they drove more)

Bibby doesn't play much like Billups. Cassel (sp) is the only PG I think of that has a very comparative style of play.

FreshPrince22
04-24-2006, 09:12 AM
:sleep

JamStone
04-24-2006, 09:16 AM
A win by 50 pts = 1 win
A win by 2 pts = 1 win

Both the Spurs and Pistons managed to pull off blowouts in different ways, but the ultimate goal remains the same, winning the games, winning each series, getting to the the Finals, and winning the championships.

If every win is by 1 point, who cares as long as it means a championship.

boutons_
04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
reaching!

amazing display of nerves! :lol

MadDog73
04-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Some of these posters crack me up. As long as we are winning, we can't lose.

Our first loss, and people start acting like it's the end of the world.

Take it easy, td4mvp3! Lots of game left...

Vinnie_Johnson
04-24-2006, 09:56 AM
I know that The Piston won by 18 but it didn't seem like a blowout. Rip had a very bad shooting night was missing open looks all night. Lucky for us Sheed and Ben came to play.

Extra Stout
04-24-2006, 09:58 AM
1986 Western Conference First Round
(1) Los Angeles Lakers vs. (8) San Antonio Spurs

Game 1 (1986-04-17 at LAL) LAL 135, SAS 88 LAL leads 1-0
Game 2 (1986-04-19 at LAL) LAL 122, SAS 94 LAL leads 2-0
Game 3 (1986-04-23 at SAS) LAL 114, SAS 94 LAL wins 3-0

I suppose that 47-point win in Game 1, and the 32-point average margin of victory in the series guaranteed the Lakers the title, right?

Oh, wait, that was the only year between 1982 and 1989 they didn't make the Finals...

Please, homers, STFU. It was ONE GAME.

cheguevara
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
The only difference I can see, is Spurs are ++++ deeper than Pistons. In other words, that night the Spurs bench could have handled and beat the Kings. The Piston's bench coudn't have handled the Bucks.

That was 1 game though, I expect game 2 to be different and 1 game cannot show what team is better.

abmccray
04-24-2006, 10:12 AM
The only difference I can see, is Spurs are ++++ deeper than Pistons. In other words, that night the Spurs bench could have handled and beat the Kings. The Piston's bench coudn't have handled the Bucks.

I'm not so sure about that. I think they're close to a wash, personally - Flip just refuses to play the bench in certain ways. Delfino, McDyess, Delk, Lindsey, and Evans are a good backup 5 that are underutilized (or in the case of Evans, overutilized) by Flip.

You just don't hear about them because of the starting 5 playing so much, and Flip riding them whenever a game is close as opposed to giving a bench lineup a chance. i remember a game the Pistons lost BECAUSE he refused to play the bench, who had built up the lead in the first place.

That's my only fear with Flip's coaching - if Detroit falls behind by a small margin, he won't bring in a Delfino for a spark, instead depending on his starters entirely.

td4mvp3
04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
geez, you'd think i'd offered a plan to kill the pope. i was asking for opinions, not guaranteeing anything or insulting anyone. for everyone who called me homer and whatnot, take a breath, re-read my post, realize that no team is bad mouthed and no team is said to be a lock to do anything, haven't said the spurs would sweep or anything. heck, i even point out that it was just one game.

bdubya
04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Looked to me like the Spurs came out like it's the playoffs, wanting to show what they can do now that the games really mean something. Pistons looked like it was still March.

Good wins, both.

SPURS21
04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm willing to bet Bruce Bowen will be gaurding Billups anyways

And the reason for the discrepencies in minutes for starteres was that Milwaukee was in the game past halftime, the spurs were up 30 midway thru the 2nd Q

SAGambler
04-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Speaking of Pistons, what's with Rip? How bad did he hurt that ankle.

If it's bad, it's on Flip for not pulling him when he tweaked it the first time.

The game was in hand, and he should have been sat down for the remainder.

FreshPrince22
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM

If it's bad, it's on Flip for not pulling him when he tweaked it the first time.

After the game Rip said it was fine. A little sore, but fine. He said if the game was closer he would have played the entire way instead of coming out well before the rest of the starters. We'll see what he says after sleeping on it though.

BTW, the game was hardly "in hand". Around the same time the injury happend, the Bucks cut the lead to 4. I can't blame Rip for staying in the game at that point.

JamStone
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM

When Rip first sprained his ankle, there was 9:36 left in the game and the score was 68-64 Detroit. That was far from having the game in hand. Bucks had just made something like a 19-4 run.

Flip wanted to take Rip out of the game when he called the timeout. Rip asked to stay in the game so he could gut it out. It was Rip's call.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-24-2006, 11:56 AM
I both games told the same story in a different way. The Spurs were dominant from the tip off, and the Pistons (though the game got close) were really in control all the way. Both teams showed they've got the goods to win it all.

Hopefully both teams will give us three more just like this.

HAHA-That'sYourTeam??
04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I know that The Piston won by 18 but it didn't seem like a blowout. Rip had a very bad shooting night was missing open looks all night. Lucky for us Sheed and Ben came to play. I am a dumb ass.

Vinny Johnson is an ignorant fool. Anything he say's only makes you dumber. If there was a God, Vinny Johnson would be a Knicks fan.

Vashner
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Sweep

himat
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
spurs and pistons show they're far and away better, at least for a game. i'm hoping some differences between the wins points to good things:

and just a question: is bibby a good guard tuneup for billups, in expectations that the spurs and pistons meet? billups is an inch taller and 12 pounds heavier than bibby, but still.

you know it's funny because if the kings and bucks hit miracle half-court shots in game 2 and win the series is tied and your on the road.

td4mvp3
04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
you know it's funny because if the kings and bucks hit miracle half-court shots in game 2 and win the series is tied and your on the road.
we're the best road team in the nba, if i remember right.

himat
04-24-2006, 06:20 PM
we're the best road team in the nba, if i remember right.

yeah, but all i'm trying to say is a team can get very lucky and might pull off upsets on detroit and san antonio type teams. i doubt that though.