PDA

View Full Version : Kidd: Nets Can't Win

ducks
10-05-2004, 07:47 PM
KIDD: NETS CAN'T WIN

By FRED KERBER

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/29696.htm

October 5, 2004 --
Reality rejoined the Nets yesterday, shortly after Richard Jefferson said he's "insanely optimistic" and anointed New Jersey as divisional favorite.

That reality came from Jason Kidd.

"We're not going to win a championship this year or next year — not with the caliber of guys we have right now," Jason Kidd, in his first public statements since the Nets' summer dismantling, said yesterday when he also admitted "I dream about" being traded.

Said Alonzo Mourning who's attempting a comeback after a kidney transplant: "When I came last year, I didn't know things would turn out the way they did. My overall intentions were to help this team win a world title. Now, looking on paper, I don't think we have a chance at doing that at all. I really don't."

Welcome to the train wreck that is the 2004-05 New Jersey Nets.

Kidd's public reaction had been awaited since summer cost-cutting eradicated four of the Nets' top six rotation scorers, including Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles.

Kidd is "still very unhappy" about the moves, a team source said, but the All-Star did not burn any bridges. Rehabbing from left knee surgery, Kidd claimed he never asked for a trade but acknowledged he thinks about a deal and he'll keep a bag packed just in case.

"I didn't put my house up for sale," Kidd said with a smile before addressing the trade issue. "I dream about it. But I haven't asked to be traded. Do I have a desire to be traded? No, I don't think so. I want to compete and I want to compete at a high level. If this is what New Jersey sees as a high level, I'll roll with it."

Kidd met over the summer with Bruce Ratner, head of the new ownership group that ordered the team's dismantling. Kidd made no demands but he let the team know he would welcome a deal to a contender, specifically Minnesota or Dallas.

"What can I do? I'm an employee. I mean, you can be a disgruntled employee or you can be a happy employee. So I'm choosing to be a happy employee," said Kidd.

One who'll stay ready to move.

"I'll play hard for the Nets until that day comes when I'm traded," said Kidd, who has been traded twice before in his All-Pro career.

Kidd and the team have no timetable for his return from microfracture surgery, which is a major factor in any attempt to trade him. Kidd is not expected back before December, but he said he'll get a better gauge after meeting tomorrow with surgeon Dr. David Altchek.

Kidd's status has a heavy influence on Mourning, who joined the Nets at Kidd's urging last year. Of this summer's developments, Mourning said he was "very disappointed. ... The reason I came here was A, to win; and B, to play with a great point guard. Now both of those factors are in question."