PDA

View Full Version : Kings Cry Foul As Artest Gets Suspension

Kori Ellis
04-24-2006, 05:51 PM
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Ron Artest's reputation might have caught up to him at a terrible time for the Sacramento Kings.

The NBA suspended Artest on Monday for Game 2 of the Kings' first-round playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs.

Stu Jackson, the league's top disciplinarian, said Artest's elbow to Manu Ginobili's head in the series opener was egregious enough to warrant another suspension for the man who missed 73 games and the playoffs last season after one of the most infamous brawls in sports history.

But after their difficult playoff task got exponentially harder, the Kings suggested Artest was punished simply for being Ron Artest, possibly the most notorious player of his generation.

"You know with Ron's questionable past, they're going to look for a way to get him," said Bonzi Wells, who will get many of Artest's defensive assignments. "Whether it's minor or major, they're going to look at it in a different way."

The one-game suspension caught both Artest's teammates and the Spurs completely by surprise, because neither club thought the personal foul was even worthy of postgame comment, much less a suspension nearly 48 hours after the fact.

Artest was at the AT&T Center for practice Monday, but the focal point of Sacramento's midseason turnaround won't be in uniform Tuesday night when the Kings play Game 2 against the defending league champions.

"I talked to Stu Jackson, which was encouraging," Artest said in a brief, apologetic statement after his usual post-practice shooting workout. "There have been a lot of things that have happened in my career which (were) unfair. I support my teammates, and hopefully they'll win the game, and I'll be back Friday (for Game 3)."

The league cited Artest for his foul on Ginobili in the third quarter of the Spurs' 122-88 victory. Ginobili caught Artest's elbow in his jaw while attempting to run through the lane, and the Argentine star fell to the ground as Artest got a personal foul.

Though Spurs coach Gregg Popovich jumped off the bench to argue for a flagrant foul, Ginobili got right back up, and the game continued. Afterward, Ginobili said he wasn't injured on the play and didn't consider it particularly serious, while Popovich said he had no problem with Artest's aggressive style of play.

"I didn't even see the play, but it couldn't have been that bad," said Mike Bibby, who declared himself "amazed" by the league's decision.

"There was no flagrant foul or technical foul on the play. They look at things differently for certain people, you could say."

Popovich said the Spurs didn't even contact the NBA about the play, something many teams -- including the Kings -- will do for any questionable play, particularly in the playoffs.

Ginobili was shocked when he heard about the suspension after practice at the Spurs' suburban training complex.

"For us it's good, because he's a great player, but we don't have much to do with it," Ginobili said. "It didn't hurt me. I said it after the game. But the league (watches) everything we do."

Artest was injured on the game's opening possession when Ginobili inadvertently elbowed him hard in the face while driving to the hoop. Artest's feet flew out from under him, and he stayed down for several moments before jogging around the court in pain from a cut that required three stitches to close.

Ginobili alluded to the Kings' theory that Artest was being punished partly for his history of misbehavior and hard-nosed play, which also included aggressive shots to Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in Game 1.

Popovich wouldn't speculate on such ideas, instead finding a way to worry about how the absence of the Kings' emotional leader and defensive star actually could hurt the Spurs.

"Sometimes it can be your worst nightmare when a good player is out on another team, because everybody else can pick up their games," Popovich said. "We're not going to change a whole lot. I'm more concerned about the mental part of the deal for us."

Artest mostly guarded Ginobili in Game 1 and scored 16 points on 7-of-21 shooting. The Spurs routed Sacramento with a 41-point second quarter, taking a quick 30-point lead and turning the entire second half into garbage time.

Kevin Martin will move into the Kings' starting lineup at guard, with Wells moving to small forward. Martin probably will get the unpleasant task of guarding Parker, who burned the Kings for 25 points in three quarters.

Artest's defense made little difference while the Spurs scored 73 points in the first half of Game 1, making 68 percent of their shots and cruising to a 34-point lead. And perhaps his absence will inspire the passion that was missing in his teammates while San Antonio won Game 1 -- or perhaps the Kings are headed for an 0-2 deficit heading home.

"I think the Spurs are going to play the same no matter who's out there," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "When I looked at the tape, I thought it's possible they'll send a message and (upgrade) it to a flagrant foul, but I had no idea they would suspend him."

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Ginobili "fell to the ground"? What game were they watching? Seriously, the league would have been better of citing the Duncan elbow if they were going to give out a single reason Artest was suspended.

Kori Ellis
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Popovich said the Spurs didn't even contact the NBA about the play, something many teams -- including the Kings -- will do for any questionable play, particularly in the playoffs.

The answer to the question people were wondering.

Kori Ellis
04-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Martin probably will get the unpleasant task of guarding Parker, who burned the Kings for 25 points in three quarters.

:lmao

If that's their game plan, R.I.P. Kings.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2006, 05:58 PM
It's kind of a joke when none of the opposing players and the overwhelming majority of the opposing fans don't feel there should have been a suspension.

samikeyp
04-24-2006, 05:59 PM
I thought the suspension was not warranted. Kings players and fans are alluding to Artest's past...well, if Artest didn't do things like that to create that past....this wouldn't be an issue.

ducks
04-24-2006, 06:01 PM
their coach even thought is was a flagrant

Brodels

No doubt, but I don't know that he could do any worse than Bibby. Mike was pretty bad, and the bigs certainly didn't have his back. Parker can run circles around either of them.

Speaking of which, he's really matured as a player. He seems to know where to pick his spots.

As for the Artest suspension, it doesn't seem warranted to me, but I'll take it. I think the Kings have good reason to cry foul, but hopefully the Spurs will take advantage and won't ease up.

J.T.
R.I.P. Kings.

Pfft. I could've called that before the series even started. Or after Ron said they were going all the way. I bet that statement is on the blackboard in the Spurs locker room.

Alamode
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

The league cited Artest for his foul on Ginobili in the third quarter of the Spurs' 122-88 victory. Ginobili caught Artest's elbow in his jaw while attempting to run through the lane, and the Argentine star fell to the ground as Artest got a personal foul.

Well that's certainly one way to look at it. Another way would be Artest intentionally flew the forearm out there, but hey its semantics. Po-ta-to, po-tah-to. Damn Ginobili, not only do you flop on command but you purposely stick your face out to "catch" other people's forearms/elbows, whatever. What a menace to the NBA you are, you :devil

:angel

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't think it was so much punishing him for being Ron Artest as it was sending a message to everyone in the playoffs to knock that kind of shit off before it even starts.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Pfft. I could've called that before the series even started. Or after Ron said they were going all the way. I bet that statement is on the blackboard in the Spurs locker room.
:lol

Probably...only it's not up there for inspiration, but for a laugh.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I bet that statement is on the blackboard in the Spurs locker room.
I bet it's not. The Spurs rely on taking care of their own business, not worrying about what's being said. Bulletin board material is for people with no heart.

MannyIsGod
04-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I bet it's not. The Spurs rely on taking care of their own business, not worrying about what's being said. Bulletin board material is for people with no heart.Thats one of the weirdest things I've read on here.

Game 6, 05 Finals, River Parade.

That is all.

ChumpDumper
04-24-2006, 06:21 PM

If that's their game plan, R.I.P. Kings.True enough. I'd try running Hart and Bibby together for awhile, if anything.

Sportman
04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I really enjoy reading this kind of news. Because with this decision the nba is not only punishing a flagrant foul, they are punishing a guy who seems doesnt care to play basketball. So, if artest enjoys playing in this way, the nba must show him, because if he wants to box, this is not the best place to do that, THIS IS basketball.
This situation could be similar to when you have a child. When children do something wrong you show them this is something bad and they dont have to do this again. If they dont listen to you, you must punish them.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Thats one of the weirdest things I've read on here.

Game 6, 05 Finals, River Parade.

That is all.
I'm lost. The Spurs loast game 6 of the '05 Finals. What's that have to do with bulletin board material?

SequSpur
04-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I heard it was the Argentina President that called Stu Jackson.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2006, 06:33 PM
BTW, Haslem got suspended for throwing the mouthpiece at the ref. Looks like the league isn't putting up with any bullshit this year.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
BTW, Haslem got suspended for throwing the mouthpiece at the ref. Looks like the league isn't putting up with any bullshit this year.
ESPN reported that the NBA sent out a memo last week to all the playoff teams telling them bullshit will not be tolerated. Looks like they are holding everyone to that.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm lost. The Spurs loast game 6 of the '05 Finals. What's that have to do with bulletin board material?

The Pistons used the "story" that the Spurs had already set the date and time for the Riverwalk parade as motivation for beating the Spurs in game 6. I still don't know if there ever were any such plans made public, or whether it was just a motivational gimmick.

FromWayDowntown

ShoogarBear got it.

birdy219

I totally agree. Tony is going to murder Martin. :makemyday

I don't think that they will. It's smoke and mirrors. But I sure hope they do. :flag:

exstatic
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
WORD. Kings fans can't cry about Artest's flagrant after the NBA did this. They already kick Haslem out of half of a game. Now he gets another full one.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
The Pistons used the "story" that the Spurs had already set the date and time for the Riverwalk parade as motivation for beating the Spurs in game 6. I still don't know if there every were any such plans made public, or whether it was just a motivational gimmick.
So the Pistons did it? I never accused the Pistons of having any heart, but okay, I surrender. I therefore amend my original statement to now read: "Bulletin board material is for inferior teams."

Are we all happy now?

Cant_Be_Faded
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM

ROFL

that's almost as funny as the Mav's strategy being to foul Bowen back in '03

yeahone
04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
well hopefully martindoes a better job on parker that bibby did

SpursWoman
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
well hopefully martindoes a better job on parker that bibby did

Uh, no. :wtf :lol

boutons_
04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
hey, Bozo Wells, the League isn't out to get Artest, but the whole fucking world, except Ron, knows that if Ron fucks up, the League will be watching and ready to react.

It's up to Ron, not the NBA, whether he's "gotten" or not.

Ron fucked up, he got fucked back, and fucked up yet another team.
The guy is a psychopath.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
"Sometimes it can be your worst nightmare when a good player is out on another team, because everybody else can pick up their games," Popovich said. "We're not going to change a whole lot. I'm more concerned about the mental part of the deal for us."

I said this exact thing in another thread and some dumbfvck named Slinkyman questioned my fanhood. I'm gonna slap him with some SPAM.

braeden0613
04-24-2006, 08:37 PM
i know this is a little off topic...but can we get rid of the "cry foul" phrase for every headline

whottt
04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
I said this exact thing in another thread and some dumbfvck named Slinkyman questioned my fanhood. I'm gonna slap him with some SPAM.

I'd be willing to bet money that, inspite of what Pop says, he's not really despondent over Artest's suspension.

Pop is full of it. He's just using standard coach speak to turn something that could lead to his team being overconfident into something that causes them to focus. All Coaches do this...except Jimmy Johnson.

No matter how many hallucinogenics ingested...in no way are the Kings better, or do they have a better chance at winning on Tues, with Artest out of the lineup.

exstatic
04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Uh, no. It's the thread title.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Tomorrow worries me even more now. The Spurs have a tradition of playing down to the level of the competition when their best player is out.

Throw on top of that the fact that they are coming off a game where they shot so well and then had that reinforced by Pop giving them Sunday off, and tomorrow screams set up game.

RON ARTEST
04-24-2006, 09:17 PM

the reason they are doing that is because he is ver very quick and athletic. plus he can score like crazy. i cant wait.

exstatic
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, their offense will be better with Mr. FG% in the 30s yet hogs the ball out of the game. I don't think anyone on their team can stay in front of Manu or Tony, though, with Artest out. Hell, Finley may be driving to the hoop.

RON ARTEST
04-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, their offense will be better with Mr. FG% in the 30s yet hogs the ball out of the game. I don't think anyone on their team can stay in front of Manu or Tony, though, with Artest out. Hell, Finley may be driving to the hoop.
i agree a little about the offense but you have to understand he hasnt been here a whole seaon and hasnt even had a training camp with us. and as far as staying in front of parker and manu thats what im worried about. its gonna have to be good team defense not individual if were gonna have a chance to steal game 2.

slayermin
04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
So the Pistons did it? I never accused the Pistons of having any heart, but okay, I surrender. I therefore amend my original statement to now read: "Bulletin board material is for inferior teams."

Are we all happy now?

The Pistons tried to use the River Parade for bulletin board material in game seven also. But I guess that kind of thing only works once in a seven game series.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
So Martin's guarding Tony :lol

Who's guarding Manu now that Rappin' Ron Artest is out?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
The Pistons tried to use the River Parade for bulletin board material in game seven also. But I guess that kind of thing only works once in a seven game series.
Was that River Parade planning true, or did the Pistons just make it up for the bulletin?

Scobe
04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
No doubt, but I don't know that he could do any worse than Bibby. Mike was pretty bad, and the bigs certainly didn't have his back. Parker can run circles around either of them.

Speaking of which, he's really matured as a player. He seems to know where to pick his spots.

As for the Artest suspension, it doesn't seem warranted to me, but I'll take it. I think the Kings have good reason to cry foul, but hopefully the Spurs will take advantage and won't ease up.

who's Bibby gonna guard? Manu? Either Manu or Parker will make short work of Bibby, and either of them is capable of putting up layups fast.

RON ARTEST
04-24-2006, 11:54 PM
So Martin's guarding Tony :lol

Who's guarding Manu now that Rappin' Ron Artest is out?most likely bonzi.

RON ARTEST
04-24-2006, 11:54 PM
who's Bibby gonna guard? Manu? Either Manu or Parker will make short work of Bibby, and either of them is capable of putting up layups fast.
bibby will guard bowen.

bonesinaz
04-25-2006, 09:33 AM

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-25-2006, 11:06 AM

Can you hear what people say from down there?

MaNuMaNiAc
04-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Can you hear what people say from down there?
yeah, didn't you know? they say physically impaired people tend to develop higher sensivity on all their other senses. Although this is the first case I've encountered where being abnormally short increased one's hearing capabilities http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smihat.gif wEiRd! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Scobe
04-25-2006, 01:34 PM
most likely bonzi.

Bonzi guarding Manu? Manu should be very aggressive in this one. No way Bonzi has a chance of staying in front of him. And even Bowen should get some looks with Bibby having to leave him to help out Bonzi and Martin.

RON ARTEST
04-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Bonzi guarding Manu? Manu should be very aggressive in this one. No way Bonzi has a chance of staying in front of him. And even Bowen should get some looks with Bibby having to leave him to help out Bonzi and Martin.
shouldnt you be helping rebuild your pathetic team who didnt even make the playoffs in the awful eastern conference. :lol

cheguevara
04-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Love that Kings fans are so obsessed w/Manu. Arco arena is gonna be booing him like crazy, and you know how that turns Manu on. Game 3 and 4 are gonna be Manu classics!

KingsFanWithoutName
04-25-2006, 04:01 PM
The Bibby/Bowen matchup should be a fun one to watch. Bowen is the one guy Bibby can actually guard since all Bibby has to do is cover him in the corner. Bowen will be harrassing Bibby all day, we'll see how Bibby responds.

RON ARTEST
04-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Love that Kings fans are so obsessed w/Manu. Arco arena is gonna be booing him like crazy, and you know how that turns Manu on. Game 3 and 4 are gonna be Manu classics!
classics? hes not that great. :lol

SpursWoman
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM

He said Manu classics....and in that light, I know a lot of Suns fans that would disagree. :lol

Vashner
04-25-2006, 04:48 PM

He means Manu feeds off the negative energy and goes into "the zone".

lol Like the dark side of the force.. luke err Manu.