PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Dangerfield Dies at Age 82

travis2
10-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Rodney Dangerfield Dies at Age 82 (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134575,00.html)

LOS ANGELES — Rodney Dangerfield (search), the bug-eyed comic whose self-deprecating one-liners brought him stardom in clubs, television and movies and made his lament "I don't get no respect" a catchphrase, died Tuesday. He was 82.

Dangerfield, who fell into a coma after undergoing heart surgery, died at 1:20 p.m., said publicist Kevin Sasaki. Dangerfield had a heart valve replaced Aug. 25 at the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center.

Sasaki said in a statement that Dangerfield suffered a small stroke after the operation and developed infectious and abdominal complications. In the past week he had emerged from the coma, Sasaki said.

Clad in a black suit, red tie and white shirt with collar that seemed too tight, Dangerfield convulsed audiences with lines such as: "When I was born, I was so ugly that the doctor slapped my mother," "When I started in show business, I played one club that was so far out my act was reviewed in Field and Stream," and "Every time I get in an elevator, the operator says the same thing to me: 'Basement?'"

In a 1986 interview, he explained the origin of his "respect" trademark:

"I had this joke: 'I played hide and seek; they wouldn't even look for me.' To make it work better, you look for something to put in front of it: I was so poor, I was so dumb, so this so that. I thought, 'Now what fits that joke?' Well, 'no one liked me' was all right. But then I thought, a more profound thing would be, 'I get no respect.'"

Shelly
10-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Awwww...RIP, Rodney!

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-05-2004, 08:01 PM
:( Maybe now he'll get some respect.

We'll miss ya Rodney.

SpursWoman
10-05-2004, 08:02 PM
:(

timvp
10-05-2004, 08:03 PM
:(

In honor , I offer this joke:

Rodney Dangerfield is so ugly that when he got the pearly gates, they wouldn't let him in so he had to hop the fence.

Jimcs50
10-05-2004, 10:29 PM
RIP, Rodney. :(

2pac
10-05-2004, 10:48 PM
He got all my respect

Today, Rodney Dangerfield died after a lengthy struggle to survive after a heart valve transplant in August.

Dangerfield has been in a coma ever since, and last week, Dangerfield's family reported that he was showing signs of recovery. Sadly, everyone's hopes and expectations did not come true for Rodney as he passed on.

Rodney was one of the greatest comics ever, and a shining light of how comedy should be approached. Rodney never slammed on anyone else. Rodney never made jokes that would hurt anyone else. Rodney used himself as the source of his comedy, and it was gold.

Rodney was well known for his comedy - which was completely based on making fun of himself and his shortcomings. But Rodney was more than that. Everyone knows him from Caddyshack or Back To School, but Rodney played a serious part in Natural Born Killers and was amazing.

In 1997, Dangerfield admitted to being constantly plagued by depression - an obvious source for his comedy.

Dangerfield was not only a great talent, but he was also a great scout. Dangerfield is credited with discovering many comedians, from Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen and Jim Carrey to Rosanne Barr and Sam Kinison.

Dangerfield's trademark white shirt and red tie are on display at the Smithsonian - where they belong. Dangerfield has been an inspiation to comedians around the world and his genius should be on display for all to see.

Shortly before going to the hospital in August for his heart valve replacement surgery, Dangerfield said, "If things go right, I'll be there about a week, and if things don't go right, I'll be there about an hour and a half."

Rodney, you will be here much longer than that, because you live in the hearts of us all.

www.houstonopinions.com

pooh
10-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Today the laughter paused and sighed in Rodney's passing.

AlamoSpursFan
10-05-2004, 11:05 PM
I think of Rodney every time my father-in-law wears one of his favorite hats. Almost an exact replica of the one in Caddyshack.

"Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you though!"

pooh
10-05-2004, 11:07 PM
FORE! I should've yelled, two.

T Park
10-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Two of the funniest comedians ever are now dead.

John Candy and now Rodney.

A sad sad day.

To think, I just bought his biography yesterday.

Kori Ellis
10-05-2004, 11:32 PM
It's sad that he died. RIP

But I don't think he was funny at all.

TastesLikeChicken
10-06-2004, 12:03 AM
"Rodney Dangerfield's career arc was, and remains to this day, an inspiration to anyone who is in the comedy business. He did comedy, achieved some success, dropped out, then came back and enjoyed the kind of success that few comedians, few entertainers ever dream of.

His success came at an age at which many comedians are beginning to wind things down. His enthusiasm, his persona, his world-weary demeanor all meshed nicely with his advanced years and his hang-dog appearance. And he wasn't merely content to be successful on his own. His Young Comedians Specials, in cooperation with HBO, gave a boost to the careers of many comedians, Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks and Bob Saget among them.

Rodney's success in movies, television and personal appearances were the envy of all the comedians who came up in the business in the 80s. His career was a template for many comics of the era. Few were able to duplicate his achievements." -- Brian McKim, SheckyMagazine

AlamoSpursFan
10-06-2004, 12:30 AM
One of the most awesome hours of comedy ever produced was Rodney's special which introduced me to Bill Hicks, Andrew "Dice" Clay, Dom Irerra, Robert Schimmel and some mildly cute broad whose name I forget.

Thanks for the laughs, Rodney!

Slomo
10-06-2004, 04:36 AM
I loved his humour. I did not know one-liners until I saw him by accident on english TV many years ago. A few years back I actually had the oppotunity to see him live in Las Vegas.

RIP Rodney :depressed

Useruser666
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Respect In Peace

Taco
10-06-2004, 07:55 AM
:depressed

bigzak25
10-06-2004, 08:22 AM
oh well....Godbless him....Thanks for the laughs Rod.

i always liked back to school when i was growing up.....i used that line "what's with the midget" many a time.....

http://www.posternow.com/photos/imagem/d/d9448.jpg

"I tell ya I get no respect from anyone. I bought a cemetery plot. The guy said, 'There goes the neighborhood!"'

———

"When I was born, I was so ugly that the doctor slapped my mother."

———

"When I started in show business, I played one club that was so far out, my act was reviewed in Field and Stream."

———

"Every time I get in an elevator, the operator says the same thing to me: `Basement?"'

———

"When my parents got divorced, there was a custody fight over me. ... and no one showed up."

I never got girls when I was a kid. One girl told me, `Come on over, there's nobody home.' I went over. There was nobody home."

———

"When I was 3 years old, my parents got a dog. I was jealous of the dog, so they got rid of me."

———

"When we got married, the first thing my wife did was put everything under both names — hers and her mother's."

———

"With my wife, I don't get no respect. The other night there was a knock on the front door. My wife told me to hide in the closet."

———

"With my wife, I get no respect. I fell asleep with a cigarette in my hand. She lit it."

-----

"I was kidnapped when I was young. The kidnappers sent my family a ransom note and a piece of my finger. My father said he wanted more proof!"

------

"I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play with. " :lmao

Sportcamper
10-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Rodney...you always had my respect...and I think you are one of the funniest guys ever!

Also...I am happy that you found true love & happiness late in life...

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041006/i/r2467741931.jpg

bigzak25
10-08-2004, 08:54 AM
we should all be so lucky.....uhm...if we Godforbid outlive our wives and stuff..... :angel