PDA

View Full Version : AJ wins coach of the year

loveforthegame
04-24-2006, 06:56 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14419094.htm

Avery Johnson will be named coach of the year

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

At least one major piece of hardware is headed the Mavericks’ way.

Avery Johnson will be named NBA coach of the year on Tuesday, according to league sources, for his performance in his first full year on the job.

Johnson guided the Mavs to a 60-22 record, tying the 2002-03 team for the best record in franchise history. The Mavs had the third-best record in the league and, as the fourth seed in the Western Conference, opened the playoff with Sunday’s 103-93 victory over Memphis.

Johnson is the fastest coach in league history to 50 wins, his 66-16 record after 82 games is the best all-time and his overall record of 76-24 is the second-best after 100 games.

Johnson is the first Mavs coach to win the award. Former coach Don Nelson was a three-time winner in Milwaukee.

Johnson may have some company once all of the league’s honors are handed out. Dirk Nowitzki is one of the Most Valuable Player award favorites, along with former teammate/reigning MVP Steve Nash and LeBron James. Jerry Stackhouse is in the running for sixth man of the year.

The Mavs resume the best-of-seven first-round series against Memphis on Wednesday night at American Airlines Center.

ducks
04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
that is all he will win

SpursWoman
04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Good job, AJ! :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
04-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Good for him :tu

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
So there's the first of three trophies that Spurs will be holding up this season.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Well deserved.

Or, as AJ would say, weel deesurved.

Solid D
04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
As well he should...after all, AJ directed his team to 2 whole more wins than last season. :lol

Seriously, congratulations to the Little General.

Jimcs50
04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant

Suck my balls, Flip, "The Coattail Rider" Saunders.

:smokin

ducks
04-24-2006, 07:05 PM
spurs record is greater then dallas but aj deserves the award over pop?

and duncan was hurt all year?

Pistons < Spurs
So there's the first of three trophies that Spurs will be holding up this season.

3?

I guess you can still claim AJ for his COY......then you may possibly get the DPOY for Bowen.

Whats the 3rd?

Oh ya I remember! 2 place in the Finals!

http://trophycaseinc.com/client/Stock_Ribbons/SECOND_PLACE1.jpg :lol

alamo50
That's just awesome!
Congratulations to AJ and JP!

SAGambler
04-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, congrats to A.J.

I really was hoping he would get it.

Yeah, he took over a good team, but at least he has introduced them to some Defense, which has made them better.

I think he deserved it over Flip and D'Antoni.

baseline bum
04-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Congrats to AJ. He was by far the best coach this season.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
3?

I guess you can still claim AJ for his COY......then you may possibly get the DPOY for Bowen.

Whats the 3rd?

Oh ya I remember! 2 place in the Finals!

http://trophycaseinc.com/client/Stock_Ribbons/SECOND_PLACE1.jpg :lol
Larry O'Brien and Finals MVP. The Pistons can put that second place ribbon around their necks while they are being fitted for their Regular Season Championship rings.

SAGambler
04-24-2006, 07:22 PM
spurs record is greater then dallas but aj deserves the award over pop?

and duncan was hurt all year?

Pop won't even be mentioned, because he did what he was expected to do with a championship team.

Pop flies under the radar, and apparently likes it there.

Yeah, I think Pop should probably be COY damn near every year. But it ain't gonna happen.

ObiwanGinobili
04-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Awesome!! :cheer :elephant

ducks
04-24-2006, 07:27 PM
the mavs were expected to be as good as they were
now the clippers on the other hand got to the playoffs

who expected that?

PM5K
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
As well he should...after all, AJ directed his team to 2 whole more wins than last season. :lol

Seriously, congratulations to the Little General.

I totally agree....

ducks
04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
pop lead the spurs to the most win ever

what record did that mavs coach break?

JamStone
04-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Congratulations to Avery. He did a fine job all season long in transforming the mindset of that team. You don't just look at wins and losses. He coached them differently, implemented a new style of basketball, and still had great success. I think he very much deserved the award.

I credit the Clippers playoff berth more to Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley than Mike Dunleavy. Dunleavy is a slightly above-average NBA coach, in my opinion. And, he didn't do anything special. Brand raised his level of play and Cassell and Cuttino changed the culture of that Clippers team. I give only a little credit to Dunleavy.

Byron Scott would be my second place.

dknights411
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
the mavs were expected to be as good as they were
now the clippers on the other hand got to the playoffs

who expected that?

No they wern't. I personally had as slightly above average at the start of the season. I put them as a 7-8 seed with 50 wins at most in October. Instead, A.J. turned the Mavs around and they have been downright scary at times this past season and they came dangerously close to stealing the division away from us. A.J. deserves this award. He did a hell of a job with the Mavs this season.

If anyone else should be considered for this award, I would throw in Scott Skiles, getting the Bulls into the playoffs without any big names.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Most people had the Mavs ranked at best fourth in the West, behind SA, Phoenix, and Houston. Some had them behind Denver.

And like JamStone said, it's not just the record. This is a completely different team philosophy than the one that started the 2004-2005 season, and that's AJ's doing.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 08:00 PM
No they wern't. I personally had as slightly above average at the start of the season. I put them as a 7-8 seed with 50 wins at most in October. Instead, A.J. turned the Mavs around and they have been downright scary at times this past season and they came dangerously close to stealing the division away from us. A.J. deserves this award. He did a hell of a job with the Mavs this season.
Considering the way they finished last season with AJ as coach, having a full training camp with him and returning their entire young nucleus you actually predicted the Mavericks would be eight games WORSE than the previous year? I'm not sure I understand that.

ducks
04-24-2006, 08:00 PM
should it not be the wins or losses ?
that is what matters

so pop should get the award because he changed the way the spurs played this year compared to last year

they went more to tp then duncan

ducks
04-24-2006, 08:02 PM
saying mavs would be worse then the suns without amare wold be rather dumb

timvp
04-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Avery Johnson Will Be The NBA's Vince Lombardi

GoSpurs21
04-24-2006, 08:06 PM
well if AJ didnt get it I am sure Mark Cuban will send video and stats to whine and complain that AJ deserves it

ducks
04-24-2006, 08:06 PM
how many times has the coach of year not made it past the first round of the playoffs :devil

J.T.
04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Well now we know Dirk's getting MVP... oh well better than Billups I guess.

JamStone
04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
should it not be the wins or losses ?
that is what matters

so pop should get the award because he changed the way the spurs played this year compared to last year

they went more to tp then duncan

So, it should be based on wins and losses and it should go to Pop?

So, count the wins and losses, but don't include Flip and the Detroit Pistons?

TheTruth
04-24-2006, 08:18 PM
WHAT???? No Phil Jackson? :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Most people had the Mavs ranked at best fourth in the West, behind SA, Phoenix, and Houston. Some had them behind Denver.

Well, they are seeded fourth... ;)

I'm unimpressed. He got his team two more wins than last year and still finished second to the Spurs. Weak.

spurschick
04-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Now let's retire his jersey

JHoLove
04-24-2006, 08:34 PM

Some people even had the Mavs finishing 4th in the division.

I'm happy for Avery, he deserves it.

dknights411
04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Considering the way they finished last season with AJ as coach, having a full training camp with him and returning their entire young nucleus you actually predicted the Mavericks would be eight games WORSE than the previous year? I'm not sure I understand that.

They also lost Finley. I wasn't completly sold on the idea of Dirk carrying a team by himself back then.

Extra Stout
04-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Of course A.J. is Coach of the Year. He put the "D" back in Dallas. Short of parting the Red Sea, I'm not aware of any more unlikely accomplishments.

There will come a time, after Tim is old and past his prime, that Dallas vs. Cleveland will be what San Antonio vs. Detroit is today.

Extra Stout
04-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Well, they are seeded fourth... ;)

I'm unimpressed. He got his team two more wins than last year and still finished second to the Spurs. Weak.
The only reason they won as many as 58 games last year is because they went on a 16-2 spurt when AJ took the reins.

So far, in 100 regular season games, he is 76-24. Not bad.

Of course, his Mavs will lose to the Spurs in the next round, but his day will come. He'll get at least a couple of rings as a coach.

1Parker1
04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Well now we know Dirk's getting MVP...

:lol That was my first thought after reading this also.

Congrats AJ. I personally think he deserves it the most out of all the leading candidates...because any coach who gets the Mavs to pay some semblance of Defense has got to be good. :tu

ShoogarBear
04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Of course A.J. is Coach of the Year. He put the "D" back in Dallas. Short of parting the Red Sea, I'm not aware of any more unlikely accomplishments.

There will come a time, after Tim is old and past his prime, that Dallas vs. Cleveland will be what San Antonio vs. Detroit is today.

I dunno. Dallas is still Dirk. And Dirk is only two years younger than Tim. Their primes are going to pretty much coincide. He may be destined to be a career Alydar.

Extra Stout
04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I dunno. Dallas is still Dirk. And Dirk is only two years younger than Tim. Their primes are going to pretty much coincide. He may be destined to be a career Alydar.
So Dallas has a two- or three-year window coming up.

I suspect Dirk's prime will last a little longer than TIm's, since Dirk has not spent his entire career getting clobbered in the low post.

pking
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Well now we know Dirk's getting MVP... oh well better than Billups I guess.

I thought the complete opposite. I assumed that means no MVP for Dirk. Of course, I didn't think he was going to get it anyway but this kind of confirmed it for me.

Alot of media picked Dallas to be 6-8 in the west. I think AJ's done a great job...I'm happy for him.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2006, 09:42 PM
So Dallas has a two- or three-year window coming up.

I suspect Dirk's prime will last a little longer than TIm's, since Dirk has not spent his entire career getting clobbered in the low post.

True, but as soon as Tim goes, Pop will retire and AJ will step up to a more prestigious job.

ducks
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
aj will never coach the spurs
because he is not loyal to the spurs
he is loyal to cuban and his $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Vinnie_Johnson
04-24-2006, 09:59 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant

Suck my balls, Flip, "The Coattail Rider" Saunders.

:smokin

How old are you?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Some people even had the Mavs finishing 4th in the division.

Who was that? Most people I saw had them finishing second or third, and they finished... second.

The only thing I see people pointing to is some thought that Houston would finish ahead of the Mavs.

If that's the case, why does Avery deserve coach of the year because Houston was relying on two cripples - Yao and TMac - to get them anywhere?

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Props to AJ. It's great to see the Little General get his props.

I've wondered all year, though, why Mike Dunleavy hasn't gotten more love from the media for the job that he's done with the Clippers. That guy has built a winner from scraps and has done it while demanding and causing a change of the culture around the Clippers organization. They've gone out and gotten some guys, but Dunleavy has totally made over that team and is hugely responsible for the fact that the Clipps have not only made the playoffs but also might win a series (or two). For all of the run that AJ, D'Antoni, Phil, and Flip have gotten this year, I think Dunleavy may have done the best job in basketball.

bigfundamental21
04-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Well deserved for Avery. He did more with that team that most expected and handled injuries to key players well. In a way this is a win for Pop and the Spurs as he is a Pop prodigy. He learned from the best.

Boulevard1
04-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Fucking awesome

T Park
04-24-2006, 11:44 PM
He was by far the best coach this season.

incorrect,

Byron Scott, Mike Dunleavy, and Gregg Popovich all did far and away better jobs.

BS....

Duff McCartney
04-24-2006, 11:52 PM

Agreed.

I've wondered all year, though, why Mike Dunleavy hasn't gotten more love from the media for the job that he's done with the Clippers. That guy has built a winner from scraps and has done it while demanding and causing a change of the culture around the Clippers organization. They've gone out and gotten some guys, but Dunleavy has totally made over that team and is hugely responsible for the fact that the Clipps have not only made the playoffs but also might win a series (or two). For all of the run that AJ, D'Antoni, Phil, and Flip have gotten this year, I think Dunleavy may have done the best job in basketball.

Agreed again. Larry Brown takes the Clippers to their first playoff showing in more than a decade and he is possibly the greatest coach ever.

Mike Dunleavy does it and he doesn't even sniff COY. Lame.

loveforthegame
04-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Mavs fans crying foul over Dirk not winning the MVP award.

Sources: Mavs' Johnson honored, Dirk snubbed

10:52 PM CDT on Monday, April 24, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Avery Johnson will be honored with one of the NBA's two biggest individual awards today when he is named the league's coach of the year, numerous sources said Monday.

However, the league's other major piece of hardware – the MVP trophy – will elude Dirk Nowitzki, a source said. While it was unknown who will win the MVP, it will not be Nowitzki, who was lumped with Phoenix's Steve Nash, Cleveland's LeBron James, Detroit's Chauncey Billups and the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant as legitimate candidates.

Johnson, in his first full season as Mavericks coach, won the nationwide ballot of media members, besting, among others, Detroit's Flip Saunders, San Antonio's Gregg Popovich and Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni , who won the award last season.

Johnson is the first winner of the award in Mavericks history. He broke the NBA record for fastest coach to 50 wins (50-12) and best record after 82 games (66-16). He was coach of the month in November and January, in addition to winning the award in April last season after taking over for Don Nelson. His career record is 76-24.

"He got a great opportunity, and he's a great coach who took that opportunity and ran with it," Nelson said from San Francisco, where he was preparing for a speaking engagement, unaware of the pending announcement. "He deserves the coach of the year, and I couldn't be happier for him. Not everybody gets a chance to step into a winning situation like this.

"It's a terrific honor for him and his whole staff. They helped make it happen."

The Mavericks finished 60-22 this season, tying the franchise record for victories. They had the third-best record in the NBA. The team also had only one All-Star – Nowitzki – which probably worked in Johnson's favor. Each other coach of the year candidate had at least two All-Stars on his team.

Throughout his playing career as a gritty point guard, Johnson was known as the "Little General." He appeared in 1,054 games, one of only two players shorter than 6-0 (with Calvin Murphy) to appear in more than 1,000 games.

As a coach, Johnson prefers to drop the first part of his nickname and simply be known as "The General." He served as an assistant coach for most of the 2004-05 season before Nelson, a three-time coach of the year with other teams, retired last March.

Nowitzki became a legitimate MVP contender by averaging 26.6 points and nine rebounds this season. He hit a career-best 48 percent from the field, including 40.6 percent from 3-point range.

However, the competition was stiff for MVP this season with five players producing legitimate credentials. Nowitzki is, however, expected to be first-team All-NBA for the second straight season.

In addition to Nowitzki, Jerry Stackhouse was a prime contender for the league's sixth-man award, but he, too, came up short.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Props to AJ. It's great to see the Little General get his props.

^^^^^^^^ Rack.

Shoulda been Dunleavy.

Sense
04-25-2006, 01:08 AM
This makes me feel good...

I was right.

Obstructed_View
04-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Considering how far the Timberwolves fell without Cassell, it's a safe bet that he's more the reason the Clippers are in the playoffs than Dunleavy is. Same for Chris Paul with the Hornets.

Trainwreck2100
04-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Now all the needs to happen is for Dirk to win the MVP and it will be two straight years we go after the MYP and COTY

Pandaemonaeon
04-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Nah. The same source said Dirk isn't going to win MVP.

LEONARD
04-25-2006, 08:03 AM
In one year Avery took the Mavs from a run and gun jumpshooting team with no defense, to a more defensive, half court team that can still run some...and they won 60 games despite having almost half their team out for the month of March...

They only won 2 more games than last year, but they got to 58 wins last year due to the 16-2 run under Avery to finish the season...

Avery deserved it...no question...

themvp
04-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Bravo AJ. :king

Borosai
04-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Avery has done a great job.

On a side note, my neighbor just flashed me a pair of huge tatas! I told him enough is enough and kicked over his garbage can. That'll teach him.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
04-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Mazel Tov to AJ and his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

ShoogarBear
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Death, taxes, and AJ Hatas :lol

angel_luv
04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Congrats A.J.

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Considering how far the Timberwolves fell without Cassell, it's a safe bet that he's more the reason the Clippers are in the playoffs than Dunleavy is. Same for Chris Paul with the Hornets.

I think Cassell is important to the Clippers and has helped to elevate that team. But the notion that Cassell's arrival diminishes the job that Dunleavy has done in LA is difficult for me to understand. Coaches who win coach of the year awards often have players who make a difference for their teams. What's remarkable to me about the Clippers is that Dunleavy was the force that compelled that organization to start doing the right things -- to pick up the right players and pay them what they should to be competitive. On top of that, while Sam Cassell has NEVER been known as a great defender, the Clippers were in the upper part of a tough Western Conference this season because Dunleavy demanded that those guys, including Cassell, become defensive-minded and, in turn, have become a great defensive team. Players help the effort, but Dunleavy's philosophical changes in LA should not be so lightly disregarded.

ducks
04-25-2006, 11:23 AM
maybe of this thread was bolded mouse would see it

Vashner
04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Grats Little General!

Manu20
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Congrats AJ!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-25-2006, 12:52 PM
So long as it doesn't go to D'Antoni.

LittleGeneral
04-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice.

ShoogarBear
04-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Nice.

Does this count as a Kluby?

Jimcs50
04-25-2006, 01:29 PM
How old are you?

13, what of it?

kolko
04-25-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/awards2006_coach.html

mavsfan1000
04-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Congratulations Avery. I predicted the Mavs would win 60 games this year. People were laughing at me but with all the young talent on this team I thought it would happen. Avery has brought a more disciplined offense and focusing more on defense. Rebounding has improved a ton though.

CubanMustGo
04-25-2006, 02:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/awards2006_coach.html

Johnson received 419 points, including 63 first-place votes .... Mike D’Antoni of the Phoenix Suns was second with 247 points (27 first-place votes) and the Detroit Pistons’ Flip Saunders was third with 223 points (18 first-place votes).

124 total votes.

Jimcs50
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
The Spurs can send the COY fishing just like they did in 03 with Hubie.

:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-25-2006, 03:07 PM
The Spurs can send the COY fishing just like they did in 03 with Hubie.

:lol

Maybe they can cast a line into a COY pond.

Shawn Carter
04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
congrats to Avery, I need to fire Lawrence Frank for this guy...

G-Nob
04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Should've been Dunleavy.

Vashner
04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I had Photoshop'ed Avery into a picture of General Honorey but it looked so bad I decided not to post it.

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I honestly can't believe that I'm writing this, but Phil Jackson got way too little respect in this vote. I'm firmly on the Dunleavy bandwagon for 05-06, but I think Phil did the best coaching job of his career to get that bunch into the playoffs.

Spurminator
04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Pretty wide open race, and a lot of candidates probably should have gotten more respect than they did, but I think Avery deserved it as much as anyone.

SpurForLife
04-25-2006, 05:59 PM
congrats to Avery, I need to fire Lawrence Frank for this guy...

I hope your not serious :(

Vashner
04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I honestly can't believe that I'm writing this, but Phil Jackson got way too little respect in this vote. I'm firmly on the Dunleavy bandwagon for 05-06, but I think Phil did the best coaching job of his career to get that bunch into the playoffs.

Yea normally guys that treat Spurs and Spurs fans lower then dirt deserve props for Coach of the year. After all Phil was so respectful of our 1999 win.

OR... He's the biggest DICK and arch enemy of Spurfans and we hope he never GETS past 1st round again in his LIFE.

Phil did not do the best coaching job of his career.

Ever hear of Chicago Bulls?? Put the crack pipe down and call 1-800-I smoke crack help.

A-Train
04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
It's nice to the future Spurs head coach win his first COY award.

Vashner
04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Avery was good to this town and the kids when he was here. And he's good for Dallas.

No person is perfect. But Avery lives to serve others it seems not himself so much...