PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Blow forces Artest out

Kori Ellis
04-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Blow forces Artest out: NBA suspends Kings star for hit on Spurs' Ginobili

Web Posted: 04/25/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042506.1D.BKNspurs.kings.4e14f11.html

Sacramento point guard Jason Hart awoke Monday, flipped on the TV in his downtown hotel and surfed the channels until he found ESPNews. Hoping to catch highlights of the previous day's NBA games, Hart was greeted by a bulletin about his team.

NBA suspends Kings' Ron Artest

"I couldn't believe it," Hart said. "It's the playoffs, and we're playing the champs. We needed him and everybody else."

Artest instead will be watching via remote as the Spurs try to extend their lead over Sacramento in Game2 of the teams' first-round series tonight at the AT&T Center. The league suspended him Monday for one game for hitting Manu Ginobili in the head during the Spurs' 122-88 victory Saturday.

The suspension leaves the Kings without their best defender and the player responsible for their late-season surge. Mike Bibby said he was "amazed" to hear Artest had been suspended because the officials didn't give him a technical or flagrant penalty when he was called for the foul with 9:04 left in the third quarter.

Ginobili was curling into the lane when Artest raised his forearm and hit him in the face. Stu Jackson, who handles NBA disciplinary matters as the league's senior vice president of basketball operations, said Artest was suspended for "making contact with his forearm to Ginobili's head in a movement that was not a basketball movement."

Artest also appeared to hit Tim Duncan in the back of the head and later fouled Tony Parker hard, but Jackson said the suspension was only because of the foul on Ginobili.

The league, which didn't upgrade the foul to a flagrant 1 or 2 penalty, has stressed in recent years it has little tolerance for players being hit above the shoulders. Kevin Willis was suspended one game after elbowing former Phoenix center Scott Williams in the throat in the Spurs' 2003 playoff opener.

This was the ninth suspension for Artest, and his previous problems also factored into the punishment, league officials said. NBA commissioner David Stern suspended him for 73 games and the playoffs last season after he climbed into the stands at Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills to fight fans.

"We always take into consideration recidivist behavior," Jackson said.

Artest hasn't had any problems since Indiana traded him to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic midway through the season.

"Of course, I'm upset about it," said Artest, who needed three stitches in his lip after being inadvertently elbowed by Ginobili in the first quarter. "... It has to do with all the other things that happened in my career, which is not fair."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich complained during the game that Artest deserved a flagrant foul and briefly exchanged words with the Kings forward. But he said the team never talked to the league office about the incident. League officials routinely monitor playoff games, and the foul was replayed several times.

"It didn't hurt me," Ginobili said. "But the league makes its own decisions."

Although Jackson said the intent of the suspension wasn't to send a message to the rest of the league, he added, "Certainly the message is we will not tolerate this. Play basketball, play it hard, and play it clean. And don't jeopardize the safety of other players."

Robert Horry thought Artest would be fined but was surprised by the suspension. So was Sacramento coach Rick Adelman.

"I had no idea this was going to happen," Adelman said. "But the criteria is set by the league office, and so that's the way it is. We have to move on."

Sacramento will start Kevin Martin in place of Artest, who made only 7 of 21 shots Saturday. Though Artest is one of the game's best defenders, one Sacramento official said the Kings sometimes share the ball better when he isn't on the floor.

"Sometimes it can be your worst nightmare when another player is out for a good team," Popovich said, "because everybody seems to pick it up come playoff time."

Artest, ironically, told Dime Magazine earlier this year he admired Duncan for how well he controlled his emotions.

"I remember one time, Kevin Garnett was mushing him and shoving him in the face, and Tim Duncan didn't do anything; he didn't react," Artest said in the interview. "He just kicked Kevin Garnett's (butt) and won the damn championship.

"You know what I'm sayin'? That's gangsta. Everybody can show emotion, dunk on somebody, scream and be real cocky, but Tim Duncan is a ... he's a pimp." :lmao

RON ARTEST
04-25-2006, 01:33 AM
i probably sound stupid but i have this real strange feeling that the kings will play really well and win tomorrow. i know people will say im crazy and im a homer but thats how i feel for some reason.

T Park
04-25-2006, 02:02 AM
you feel that way because,

its called HOPE.

Borosai
04-25-2006, 02:12 AM
I feel a turd poking out of my anus...I know it may sound weird, but I just have this feeling I'm sitting on a log or something...with a campfire on my lap. What is happening?

Obstructed_View
04-25-2006, 02:14 AM
i probably sound stupid but i have this real strange feeling that the kings will play really well and win tomorrow. i know people will say im crazy and im a homer but thats how i feel for some reason.
You also felt like they would win the first game. Much like that, this feeling will go away. :)

Seriously, could the Kings play much worse than they did? The Spurs certainly couldn't have played much better. The Pistons had a chance in the finals last year because the Spurs just destroyed them the first two games and decided they could coast. That attitude nearly cost them. Anything can happen.

ploto
04-25-2006, 07:24 AM
"Though Artest is one of the game's best defenders, one Sacramento official said the Kings sometimes share the ball better when he isn't on the floor."

This is what I mentioned yesterday about how how I expect better movement on the offensive end tonight and better play between Bibby and Miller. Hope our guys have been practicing their pick n roll defense.

LilMissSPURfect
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
I feel a turd poking out of my anus...I know it may sound weird, but I just have this feeling I'm sitting on a log or something...with a campfire on my lap. What is happening?
:madrun

Sec24Row7
04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
The Spurs have a tendancy to sometimes let their guard down.

The Kings have a shot... any team always has a shot to beat another.

You don't sound stupid.

SenorSpur
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree with those who have stated the Kings will come out loose and play with no pressure. This could possibly be a "trap" game. If the Spurs relax or lose focus, they could be in for a lot closer game than it should really be.

Having said all that, Pop will "hammer and harp" on this to the team. The question is whether they will respond appropriately.

Hook Dem
04-25-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree with those who have stated the Kings will come out loose and play with no pressure. This could possibly be a "trap" game. If the Spurs relax or lose focus, they could be in for a lot closer game than it should really be.

Having said all that, Pop will "hammer and harp" on this to the team. The question is whether they will respond appropriately.
Would you rather face the wrath of Artest or Pop? They'll be ready!