PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Crazy possibilities — who does the suspension help?

Kori Ellis
04-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Buck Harvey: Crazy possibilities — who does the suspension help?

Web Posted: 04/25/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA042506.1D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.4e14eba.html

If I'm the Spurs, I'm on the phone to the league office Sunday, and I've got something to say about Ron Artest.

Don't suspend him.

Give him a flagrant foul to add to his ever-expanding rap sheet. Give him notice that David Stern is still watching. But don't give the Kings a nothing-to-lose game tonight, as well as an emotional rebirth in Sacramento for Game3.

If I'm the Spurs?

I question who this suspension helps.

I don't question the suspension itself. Artest's elbow to Manu Ginobili's head wasn't the hardest blow of the evening, nor was it shocking considering the owner of the elbow. On the Artest Crazy Meter, this one ranks somewhere below Artest once flashing an obscene gesture to a section of fans in Miami.

Why below that? Because earlier that season, Artest had announced there ought to be a mandatory ejection for cursing "because kids are watching."

He has a screw so loose, it doesn't have any threads. "They better not put me in the All-Star Game," Artest once said. "I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'"

Which is, of course, what everyone always has asked. He can smash a camera, flex his muscles at Pat Riley and ask for time off to work on his CD. He also can attend anger-management class — then shortly after, snarl for a magazine cover with the headline "The Scariest Man in the NBA."

So when he's down by 30 points? With his mouth bloodied? Artest edged closer to that night in Detroit, when he took his act to another place altogether, striking Ginobili as well as Tim Duncan.

Maybe every player would have been suspended for the same. After all, Duncan had to sit out a game two years ago after a brush with an official. The Spurs argued the contact was incidental, that the ref was in the wrong position, and Duncan's spotless record didn't save him.

But Artest's history matters, just as it did several years ago. Then, two news organizations felt comfortable reporting that Artest had been in a fight during All-Star weekend in Atlanta — when he was actually in Orlando.

This time, the NBA had the goods: the tape, the flagrant-foul guidelines and the motivation to suspend. Artest and his leap into the stands, after all, is primarily the reason the league has aired about 4,603 "NBA Cares" commercials this season. Did Stern want to let Ron be Ron, then have to approve for next season an "NBA Cares, Seriously" campaign?

The Kings plead ignorance to all of it, because they hadn't seen this side of Artest yet. But this is part of the package they traded for. Had Sacramento gambled on a guy with chronic knee pain, they wouldn't be surprised if the knee was swollen today. They can't be surprised, now, that Artest's anger puffed up Saturday.

But there's another side to this, and it's about whether the Kings could have rebounded from a 34-point loss with Artest.

No matter how much Rick Adelman worked his team over the past few days, were they ready to recover?

Artest didn't look ready, not with his mouth and jumper so sore. And if the Kings were to have lost with Artest tonight, with the pattern of Saturday, the Kings would have gone home ready to be swept.

Now they come into Game2 without expectations. They likely will lose, still, because the Kings had little depth with Artest. But what if Mike Bibby starts stroking, and Brad Miller gets involved, and the Spurs relax?

If the Spurs can lose to Atlanta, which they did this season, they can lose to Sacramento.

But even if the Kings are awful without Artest, they head home with a sense of promise. They can see Game1 as an aberration and Game2 as a lost cause without their star. They can believe the Spurs have only held home court, and now it is their turn, and their crowd will be there with cowbells.

There's something else, too. Walking back into the series Friday, his lip smaller and his energy back, will be someone who can do a one-game suspension standing on his head. If Artest hits back with defense and his talent, the Kings would head into Game4 believing the momentum has changed.

Crazy?

This time, without Artest.

RON ARTEST
04-25-2006, 01:45 AM
great article. i believe everything he said. this might be a scary game for the spurs.

2centsworth
04-25-2006, 01:50 AM
great article. i believe everything he said. this might be a scary game for the spurs.
Spurs by at least 18.

T Park
04-25-2006, 01:58 AM
The only hole in his arguement, without Artest, Bowen can, if need be, slide over ot Bibby, or Bonzi.

The whole "Well theyve lost to Atlanta"

Well crap Buck, should Detroit fans be worried about game 2?? Cause, well, you know, they lost to Atlanta......

jman3000
04-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Spurs have always struggled against teams missing their big gun and this is why this game scares me a little (very little... like, if I could make the word "little" small enough you wouldn't be able to read it) When we faced Dallas in the WCF a few years ago we pretty much man handled them w/ the exception of game 1 until Nowitzki got injured and they actually played us tougher without him. This was the case last year as well, when Rashard Lewis missed a couple of games and Seattle still played us very well. I'm pretty sure there are other examples, but these are the ones that come to mind @ 2 am.

Borosai
04-25-2006, 02:07 AM
I can't bear to watch!

Dammit...my sig!

Obstructed_View
04-25-2006, 02:16 AM
If the Spurs aren't ready to play in the playoffs they don't deserve to win. They never really took the regular season seriously, and almost nobody could beat them.
<----not worried. :)

RON ARTEST
04-25-2006, 02:29 AM
The only hole in his arguement, without Artest, Bowen can, if need be, slide over ot Bibby, or Bonzi.

The whole "Well theyve lost to Atlanta"

Well crap Buck, should Detroit fans be worried about game 2?? Cause, well, you know, they lost to Atlanta......
i hope your not comparing sac to the bucks and hawks. the kings have the second best record in the league since feb. 3rd. no comparison.

Kori Ellis
04-25-2006, 02:33 AM
I can't bear to watch!

Dammit...my sig!

I can host your sig for you.

Send me the pic to [email protected]

Melmart1
04-25-2006, 02:37 AM
I think Pop will have them ready. This is the same team that lost to the Kings a few short weeks ago, then all the sudden flipped the switch that some of us weren't sure they had and spanked them last game. Though this COULD be scary for the regular season Spurs, it's just another obstacle they will get past for the playoff Spurs.

MI21
04-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Terrible article. To many "what if's" and it is the absolute worst case scenario basically.

Spurs may lose Game 3, but it won't be because Ron Artest is back and has a point to prove, it'll just be because with Artest back and at home the Kings are hard to beat.

zeleni
04-25-2006, 02:38 AM
I like Artest. Even when he screws up, he is still helping his team in a way.

Obstructed_View
04-25-2006, 02:41 AM
I think Pop will have them ready. This is the same team that lost to the Kings a few short weeks ago, then all the sudden flipped the switch that some of us weren't sure they had and spanked them last game. Though this COULD be scary for the regular season Spurs, it's just another obstacle they will get past for the playoff Spurs.
Well said. The Spurs are probably going to lose a few games before they win 16. Every loss will teach them something to help them down the road. Besides, they had the whole regular season to coast. It's time for work. They should know that.

Obstructed_View
04-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Terrible article. To many "what if's" and it is the absolute worst case scenario basically.Interestingly, the Kings are basically experiencing their absolute worst case scenario right now. Anything is possible.

boutons_
04-25-2006, 04:16 AM
"Terrible article."

"My name is Buck
And I'm here to suck"

Borosai
04-25-2006, 05:20 AM
I can host your sig for you.

Send me the pic to [email protected]

Thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and made myself a playoff sig and put it on my server space :elephant
Besides, I didn't save a copy of the Nash Dance gif on my computer, so it's a lost cause. :depressed

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
04-25-2006, 07:03 AM
One thing Buck didn't point out---this has some similarities to Game 2 vs. Seattle last year, when Ray Allen was out nursing his sprained ankle. We beat them to take the 2-0 lead, but then got into trouble back in Seattle.

So as much as I'm worried about our Game 2 focus tonight, Game 3 will probably be the real test (if we win tonight).

ploto
04-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Now they come into Game2 without expectations. They likely will lose, still, because the Kings had little depth with Artest. But what if Mike Bibby starts stroking, and Brad Miller gets involved, and the Spurs relax?

Exactly what I said yesterday.

Budkin
04-25-2006, 07:45 AM
The Spurs know what they need to do... they smell blood and need to take advantage. They will.

ManuTastic
04-25-2006, 08:03 AM
If the Spurs aren't ready to play in the playoffs they don't deserve to win. They never really took the regular season seriously, and almost nobody could beat them.
<----not worried. :)

True dat.

And this whole whining and crying about the Kings gaining an advantage is just ridiculous. It's simple, folks:
THEY lost one of their starters=THEY have a problem.

We clear? Don't nobody need to get all freaked out on our end. :fro

Phenomanul
04-25-2006, 08:17 AM
"Terrible article."

"My name is Buck
And I'm here to suck"

Why did I get a mental picture of the Count from Sesame Street....

''And I'm here to suck your blood.... haaaa haaaa haaa haa''

Jimcs50
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Yesterday, 02:26 PM #188
Jimcs50
Nostradamas Jr.

Position: Dominant Center
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $361465990
Re: Artest to be suspended for Game #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could play into Sacto's hands. They will be pissed and play harder, and SA might have a letdown.

Beware!

This is what I was worried about yesterday. This paired with a blowout in game 1, spells letdown, and SA is not good enough to beat a playoff team when they have a letdown.

If I were a betting man, I would bet on Sacto to cover the spread and maybe even steal this game.

Nikos
04-25-2006, 08:41 AM
"Terrible article."

"My name is Buck
And I'm here to suck"

:lol Don't know why I laughed at that one, but I did nonetheless. Oh and I also laughed out loud at MI21's icon. Nice. :drunk

boutons_
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Doug Collins was saying that in 30 years of playing and coaching, one of the hardest things is to blow out a team and then play the second game while maintaining your intensity and focus.

We'll know within the first 4 minutes what the Spurs' mentality is tonight.

We know it's not a question of Spurs' talent, only of mentality.

td4mvp3
04-25-2006, 08:56 AM
True dat.

And this whole whining and crying about the Kings gaining an advantage is just ridiculous. It's simple, folks:
THEY lost one of their starters=THEY have a problem.

We clear? Don't nobody need to get all freaked out on our end. :fro

amen. it's like the spurs can't catch a break: if they just win by a couple of points, then the kings have reason to feel good about themselves; if they win by 10-20, well, they're the defending champs, no biggie, it's what they're supposed to do; 30-more, the true advantage goes to the kings since, having played their worse, they've got nothing to lose and can go with reckless abandon (didn't they have nothing to lose once the lead hit 25?); and artest's suspension could mean a more focused team and more relaxed spurs, spelling disaster. seriously, how many folks would be saying the spurs gained an advantage had gino been suspended or duncan?

SenorSpur
04-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Can you say "trap" game?

kalikot_boy_kr
04-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Its All About Mouth.....lol!

Hook Dem
04-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Too much CYA being displayed here! The Spurs will dominate! :madrun

smeagol
04-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Spurs by +15 to shut the doubters up.