PDA

View Full Version : Warriors set sights on O'Neal

ducks
04-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Warriors set sights on O'Neal
Covet Pacers' center, could offer them blockbuster package
April 24, 2006

He doesn't look or sound much like Oprah, but one of the best book clubs around is hosted by the Golden State Warriors' Adonal Foyle.

The Warriors' center has a monthly gathering with about a dozen friends, though none of his teammates. This month's book was "An Open Heart--Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life," by the Dalai Lama and Nicholas Vreeland. Foyle also founded Democracy Matters, an organization dedicated to campaign finance reform. Character matters, but so do double-doubles. That's why the busiest team in the summer trade market is likely to be Golden State because it can't get a read on Foyle as an interior fixture. And though the speculative talk is about Kevin Garnett--as it is with everyone--the move many expect the Warriors to make is for Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal.

So what gets it done? Perhaps a major deal that sends O'Neal and Stephen Jackson to the Warriors while Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy and Derek Fisher are sent to the Pacers, with secondary names uncertain.

It's only speculation for now, but the Warriors have the most pieces to make that kind of deal, are talking openly of changes after a disappointing season and are said to covet O'Neal's low-post presence. O'Neal, who played with Warriors general manager Chris Mullin, has become estranged in Indiana. A new start back in the West--his career began in Portland--may be just what O'Neal needs to re-establish his MVP credentials of a few years ago. The Pacers certainly would want him out of the conference. Expect them to first make a bid for Garnett with O'Neal. Murphy, whom the Bulls have coveted at various times, and Richardson become free of their base-year trade restrictions at the end of June, making them easier to deal.

Even if the Pacers, up 1-0, get by the soft Nets, they're said to be dedicated to reshaping their roster without missing the playoffs. Getting Richardson, re-signing Peja Stojakovic and adding Murphy would give them a nice core to build around to remain competitive. They would lack a true post presence but are said to be intent on changing their makeup with more team play. Plus, Richardson is on the verge of becoming an All-Star and they are committed to getting an All-Star talent in return for O'Neal.

Coaching carousel?

The regular season is over, which only means one thing. OK, two things: Playoffs and, "Coach, clean out your desk."

Based on prior years, Dwane Casey at Minnesota, Mike Montgomery at Golden State, Mo Cheeks at Philadelphia, Sam Mitchell at Toronto and Mike Woodson at Atlanta would be among a group getting ready to look for assistants' jobs. But all seem sure to stay. There could be some changes. Charlotte's Bernie Bickerstaff is mulling over whether to kick himself upstairs, the Kings' owners are considering whether to hang onto Rick Adelman or make a splash with Don Nelson or maybe even Larry Brown, who says he plans to stay in New York.

But the biggest reason it could be a stable summer, say several general managers, is whom do you hire? The feeling is, especially based on recent hires, that the well is dry for major coaching candidates. Going after an assistant just gives a team another learning curve. The NBDL trainees, for the most part, haven't been on the NBA sidelines enough. The college experiments haven't worked, and the heralded Brown-Phil Jackson-Pat Riley troika has met with mixed and, in Brown's case, little success, leaving some owners to wonder whether a high-priced coach, even if one were available, would be worth it.

Portland went out and spent big money for disciplinarian Nate McMillan and had more chaos than ever with Zach Randolph and Darius Miles taking turns being sent home near season's end.

Howard's end

One of the best stories in the league has been the good health on the Houston Rockets. Well, at least, for one player, Vocational High School's Juwan Howard.

Howard went out last season with a viral heart infection but was an ironman this season amid serious injuries to Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming and Bobby Sura.

Howard, who averaged 11.8 points and 6.7 rebounds, missed just two games, one with the flu and one due to a suspension, and was one of the few non-playoff players not giving in down the stretch; he averaged 19.5 points in the last six games. Houston is said to covet a scoring small forward in the draft and would love a shot at Gonzaga's Adam Morrison. But Howard has proven his worth years after he was considered a trade throw-in.

"I have a love for the game," Howard said. "Ever since I was a little boy watching the game on TV, watching some of the great players like Magic (Johnson), Larry Bird, Dr. J. (Julius Erving), Michael Jordan, those guys inspired me. Those guys continued to play hard, aggressive, and play at the top of their games when they got to my age (33). Why should I stop now? I'm going to keep working out there, showing I have a lot of fight, and be an example for some of these young guys."

Illini update

The Rockets' real ironman was Illinois rookie Luther Head, the only player not to miss a game with injury. But the team has identified getting a shooting guard as its off-season priority. . . . Illinois' Deron Williams outscored Chris Paul 68-63, and the Jazz won three of four games with the Hornets. In the final meeting, Williams grabbed an offensive rebound with 30 seconds to play, made the game-winning free throws, then guarded Paul as he missed two would-be game-winning shots.

The King's ransom

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert said he's "more than 90 percent" certain LeBron James will sign an extension to stay in Cleveland. "I see the Cavaliers right now like the Chicago Bulls of the early 1990s," Gilbert told the Akron Beacon Journal. . . . James declined to speak to reporters before the Cavs' first playoff game and said it was because one of the reporters traveling with the team picked the Wizards to win the series, the Akron newspaper reported.

Happy trails?

Late for games and shootarounds, kicked out of practice, walking out before a game was over, Randolph, with more than $70 million left on his guaranteed contract, blamed Portland management for, in effect, signing him. "It's got a lot to do with the front office," Randolph said. "A lot to do with (general manager) John Nash and (president) Steve Patterson. They put this team together." Teammate and best friend Miles, who has $34 million left on his deal, left a game last week because he wasn't playing. Said Miles: "When I got here . . . they took the fun out of it. They really made me miserable. I had fun with the Clippers."

In an interview with the Oregonian, Miles addressed rumors he came to practice hung over: "Yeah, you probably smelled liquor on me before. But it's not like I'm at practice drunk. I'm totally focused. I don't care if you come to practice and take a shower, once you go to practice and start sweating, it's going to come out. That doesn't mean you aren't focused or ready to practice."

And you thought it was bad in New York. With the third pick last year, the Blazers traded down and passed on Chris Paul because they said they had their point guard of the future in Sebastian Telfair, who was beaten out by Steve Blake.

Double dribbles

Dashing hopes for a lot of teams, Toronto's Chris Bosh sounds like he's getting ready to re-sign. Said Bosh: "It's a little easier with (Bryan) Colangelo in charge. Fans come to me all the time [saying], `We hope you stay.' I'm like, `Don't worry, man. If this organization does what they're supposed to do, I'll do what I'm supposed to.'" . . . Add the Nets to the list of teams sending players home. They dropped their big free agent of last summer, Jeff McInnis. . . . Minnesota was 19-21 when they traded for Ricky Davis and Mark Blount and 14-28 thereafter. . . . The Jazz's Greg Ostertag retired (yes, he still was around) and so did the Timberwolves' Fred Hoiberg, who gave up his attempt to be the first player with a pacemaker after surgery last summer and will join Minnesota's front office. Hoiberg at his farewell news conference told a sweet story of trying to determine if he could play and scoring 60 points in a recreational league game in January in his last competitive game. His son, Jack, attended the game and when they got home announced to his mom, Carol, "Mom, I think he was probably the player of the game." Said Hoiberg: "The last game that I ever played, in my son's eyes, at least, I was the player of the game. That's very important."

Last shots

Allen Iverson, after arriving late for the 76ers' final game, Fan Appreciation night: "I had no idea it was Fan Appreciation Night or anything like that." That came after a classic Lee Elia bleeped rant from general manager Billy King, who said the team stunk (or something like that) and changes would be made. . . .

The Knicks' Stephon Marbury now says this season was "the best year of my life" and "Larry Brown has made me a better man." We don't believe you, Stephon. . . . Boston's Paul Pierce said he received assurances from Doc Rivers that Rivers would return to coach next season.

Copyright © 2006, The Chicago Tribune