PDA

View Full Version : Pop/bowen Appreciation Thread

Spurologist
04-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Give him some fucking credit. The most important play in the game was run and DESIGNED with extreme precision. It's always easy to blame the coach for shit, but give praise to the grand master.

Have the DPOY of the year vote been counted already. If not bowen has solidified it. Wells was a wild cat for most of the game, but bowen tamed his ass in critical stretches of the game. DPOY for sure.

SHOW SOME RESPECT

yeahone
04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
well all props to the two guys along with barry

yeahone
04-26-2006, 12:35 AM
well all props to the two guys along with barry

kris
04-26-2006, 12:37 AM
That play was gold. It was basically a old play in the playbook extended with Manu surprising the defense by driving in and passing. When it unfolded, I thought it was genious.

sprrs
04-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Give him some fucking credit. The most important play in the game was run and DESIGNED with extreme precision. It's always easy to blame the coach for shit, but give praise to the grand master.

Have the DPOY of the year vote been counted already. If not bowen has solidified it. Wells was a wild cat for most of the game, but bowen tamed his ass in critical stretches of the game. DPOY for sure.

SHOW SOME RESPECT

Agreed. Calling that play brilliant is an extreme understatement. Pop's showing everyone why he should have been named coach of the year :spin.

And Bruce was key as usual. Once Bibby hinted at getting hot in OT, Bowen completely shut him down. If anyone had any doubts about whether to vote for Bruce they damn well changed their minds now.

Solid D
04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Props to both, although the sub patterns were pretty unusual tonight.

The Barry 3 play seemed to have the same roots of a play the Spurs used a few times in Game 1, which has the Bigs on the low block on each side with guys in the corners and 1 at the top to penetrate and dish, with back-picks catching the saggers.

See earlier thread:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=887202#post887202

Darkwaters
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Avery Johnson just got all the buzz because he got so many wins so quick in his coaching career (despite the fact that he inherited one of the best teams in the league). But Pop took a good team and has made them a consistent contender for nearly a decade.

Pop deserved the award before Avery anyday.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2006, 12:50 AM
But Pop took a good team and has made them a consistent contender for nearly a decade.

Um yeah, the only thing that Pop 'took' was a #1 draft pick named Tim Duncan. The rest is history.

SequSpur
04-26-2006, 01:03 AM
mike bud actually diagrammed the play during the timeout, Pop was standing up behind him.

pay attention next time.

Solid D
04-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Didn't you see the wires to Mike Bud's hands being controlled by Pop from above. Get some glasses.

SequSpur
04-26-2006, 01:06 AM
sometimes i feel the need to correct the pop idols.

Spurologist
04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Um yeah, the only thing that Pop 'took' was a #1 draft pick named Tim Duncan. The rest is history.

yeah fuck the knicks selected ewing number one in the draft. where are the fucking rings. see your ass at the door this an appreciation thread

Solid D
04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
I wonder why Brent Barry and Gino both said in post-game interviews that Pop designed the play and they ran it as drawn up.

SequSpur
04-26-2006, 01:09 AM
I wonder why Brent Barry and Gino both said in post-game interviews that Pop designed the play and they ran it as drawn up.

rewind your tivo and watch the time out.

kris
04-26-2006, 01:09 AM
yeah fuck the knicks selected ewing number one in the draft. where are the fucking rings. see your ass at the door this an appreciation thread

You stole my point. Minnesota has had Kevin Garnett for 10 years and look where they got. Getting a franchise big man doesn't seal the deal.

Solid D
04-26-2006, 01:15 AM
rewind your tivo and watch the time out.

No need. I believe you.

genghisrex
04-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Pop drew it up first and then gave Mike a Pop quiz to see if he was paying attention.

SequSpur
04-26-2006, 01:17 AM
There was 2 timeouts at the end of regulation. One of the timeouts, Mike Bud was drawing up the play.

There were a few good plays that were successful tonight out of time outs and beginning of quarters.

It seemed that when we settled down, offensive ran smooth and easy.

austinfan
04-26-2006, 08:25 AM
What was Pop's reaction to Barry's three? I didn't record the game, and I was so focused on what the ball was doing, and then kind of stunned in amazement after the fact, that I didn't see how most of the players and coaches responded.

Jimcs50
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM

SHOW SOME RESPECT

The only thing that I ever cuss Pop for is his sticking with NVE over Beno when NVE totally blows, and has no business being in the rotation in close games.

Extra Stout
04-26-2006, 08:38 AM
What was Pop's reaction to Barry's three? I didn't record the game, and I was so focused on what the ball was doing, and then kind of stunned in amazement after the fact, that I didn't see how most of the players and coaches responded.
The only thing I remember is that as he turned back down the court, Horry almost inadvertantly elbowed Manu, and Manu began flailing wildly. Then he realized it was Horry. They touched hands as if to say, 'Never mind. We cool."

Lebowski Brickowski
04-26-2006, 08:49 AM
The only thing I remember is that as he turned back down the court, Horry almost inadvertantly elbowed Manu, and Manu began flailing wildly. Then he realized it was Horry. They touched hands as if to say, 'Never mind. We cool."
:lol :lol :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2006, 09:15 AM
see your ass at the door this an appreciation thread

Two things:

One, it's pretty dumb to have a Bowen appreciation thread every game. We know he's the best in the business, you don't need to act all high and mighty about it.

Two, on the Duncan/Ewing thing. It's a weak comparison. Ewing cared about the almighty dollar first and foremost. Tim cares about the ring first and foremost. Ewing also had some guy named Jordan to deal with, I hear he was pretty good...

And the point is that Pop wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Duncan, so quit trying to pretend like he'd have taken Atlanta to the Finals this year if he was coaching the Hawks.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-26-2006, 09:34 AM
It's funny when these individual appreciation threads are made. That play was true Team work , Pop's great Play, Spurs execution, Manu distracting the D, Kings Biting, Barry Delivering, Luck bouncing it in... This was a true Team win.

Duncan is a huge chunk of the puzzle, but I don't know why people like to discredit Pop's coaching. Duncan and Pop needed both each other to make the Championship formula. Duncan was lucky the Spurs tanked in 96, He could have very well been a Celtic, who made Finals appearances but got No Rings.

leemajors
04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
bowen did a great job on bibby the whole game. i couldn't tell if the spurs were willing to let kevin martin get his and live with the results, that's the way it seemed. or it was just awful defense.

Solid D
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
bowen did a great job on bibby the whole game. i couldn't tell if the spurs were willing to let kevin martin get his and live with the results, that's the way it seemed. or it was just awful defense.

Tony Parker did a better than average job on Bibby also. He played through the screens well and really played Mike tight on the perimeter.

ploto
04-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Tony Parker did a better than average job on Bibby also. He played through the screens well and really played Mike tight on the perimeter.
Rasho's defense on the pick and roll helped, too.

ambchang
04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
The only thing that I ever cuss Pop for is his sticking with NVE over Beno when NVE totally blows, and has no business being in the rotation in close games.
Possibly because Pop realized that he will play NVE in the play over Beno, and yanking him out whenever he is not playing poorly will make him look over his shoulder when he is playing. Just a guess.
BTW, I feel sad about some of the "fans" who kept bringing the same incorrect points over and over to bash Pop just to get a reaction.

jman3000
04-26-2006, 10:13 AM

I remember it being Manu who hit Horry. He pumped his fist as he was turning around and almost caught Horry in the chin. He then started up court and they did the hand thing.