PDA

View Full Version : One thing I'd like to see by our guards.

E20
04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
One thing I'd like to see done more by our guards is penetration done by their inferior/less dominant hand. I've never seen Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili do a layup with their weak hands. If Tony at this young age can master his left hand lay-up, his man will have a much more harder time trying to contain him, same goes for Manu, except he isn't that young.

Darkwaters
04-26-2006, 12:44 AM
If Tony Parker could master his pull-up jumper (or even better, a 3 point touch) he'd be even better. You can't play off of him then...or too close...unguardable. Add a little bit more play-making ability....

Sorry, I'm just dreaming of the possibilities.

E20
04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
If Tony Parker could master his pull-up jumper (or even better, a 3 point touch) he'd be even better. You can't play off of him then...or too close...unguardable. Add a little bit more play-making ability....

Sorry, I'm just dreaming of the possibilities.
I loved how he nearly airballed that jumper today. It gave me a stroke.

kris
04-26-2006, 12:51 AM
One thing I'd like to see done more by our guards is penetration done by their inferior/less dominant hand. I've never seen Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili do a layup with their weak hands. If Tony at this young age can master his left hand lay-up, his man will have a much more harder time trying to contain him, same goes for Manu, except he isn't that young.

Both of those guys do use their off hand. I am very obsessive about symmetry and a player only going to one side. Obviously, they go with their dominant hand/side the majority of the time, but when the defense completely takes it away, it's an easy transition for either of them to switch hands or sides.

Spurologist
04-26-2006, 12:52 AM

T. Parker 43 8-16 0-1 6-7 1 4 10 7 1 0 3 22

Point is he doesn't need to change shit.

exstatic
04-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Tony sometimes finishes with his left. I've heard Sean mention it. Manu rarely finishes with his right, but he can dribble right-handed quite well, and if they overplay him, he can finish with his left on the right side of the rim. They're both good enough ball handlers to cross you over and go by you if you overplay. Then it's up to the bigs, and Sacto's aren't up to the job.

E20
04-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Both of those guys do use their off hand. I am very obsessive about symmetry and a player only going to one side. Obviously, they go with their dominant hand/side the majority of the time, but when the defense completely takes it away, it's an easy transition for either of them to switch hands or sides.
I never see it, I saw Tony take a left hand lay-up, he made it, but it seemed awkard for him he jumped off the wrong leg. I'm not saying they can't go to there off-hands and they suck. I'd just like to see it some more, it would totally throw their defenders off, but whatever it takes to score. I'll happy as long as they somehow put the ball in the hoop.

kris
04-26-2006, 12:54 AM
If you want to harp on some guys who don't use their off hands look to such players as Brent Barry, Rasho, Michael Finley, and Tim.

You probably picked the two most ambedextrious Spurs.

E20
04-26-2006, 12:55 AM
If you want to harp on some guys who don't use their off hands look to such players as Brent Barry, Rasho, Michael Finley, and Tim.

You probably picked the two most ambedextrious Spurs.
Point taken, but they're the Spurs ball handlers most of the time. And exstatic pointed out another good point as well.

kris
04-26-2006, 12:55 AM
I never see it, I saw Tony take a left hand lay-up, he made it, but it seemed awkard for him he jumped off the wrong leg. I'm not saying they can't go to there off-hands and they suck. I'd just like to see it some more, it would totally throw their defenders off, but whatever it takes to score. I'll happy as long as they somehow put the ball in the hoop.

Tony and Manu are one footed jumpers. You will almost never see them jump off their off foot so it will appear awkward sometimes when they go to the off hand.

E20
04-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Which leads me to the point that the NBA needs to catch up on their fundamentals.

exstatic
04-26-2006, 01:00 AM
It really doesn't matter what hand you finish with as long as you can use both hands well enough to get into position to finish with your strong hand. Both Manu and Tony are adept at that.

Playing guard in the NBA is like playing RB in the NFL in one respect: turning the corner is the key to scoring large amounts of points. We've got two guys who do that exceptionally well. Be greatful.

Darkwaters
04-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Which leads me to the point that the NBA needs to catch up on their fundamentals.

Well the Spurs have "The Big Fundamental" so I guess we're ahead of the game...

kris
04-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Point taken, but they're the Spurs ball handlers most of the time. And exstatic pointed out another good point as well.

I don't mean to come off brash, but I think I may have some obsessive/compulsive thing about players only being able to go one way. I'm basically fixated with it. Timvp can vouch for that.

exstatic
04-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Oh my...

SequSpur
04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
i'd like to see parker lead this team to 16 and 0 during the playoffs.

Scobe
04-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Get therapy. Then get O'Douls...

kris
04-26-2006, 01:12 AM
It's not a pyschological problem. It's just that when I watch a basketball game or I play in one, that is what I always hone in on.

Spurologist
04-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Get therapy. Then get O'Douls...

:lol my urban dictionary says an O'doul is
Link (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=O'Douls)
Weak-ass beer consumed by pansies.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-26-2006, 01:15 AM
i'd like to see parker lead this team to 16 and 0 during the playoffs.
If anyone is gonna put us over the top for 16-0, it's going to be Tim turning on his switch. Parker did it first game. Manu this game. Tim has yet to come to playoff form. We've been winning without major contribution from Tim and that's scary.