PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller's Commentating

spur219
04-26-2006, 08:23 AM
I know what I thought about his commentating last night. So without saying anything I want to know what you guys thought about it?

Sec24Row7
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
I never thought I would hear leastern conference Bias from a color commentator when two western conference teams were playing.

polandprzem
04-26-2006, 08:30 AM
I heard him once, and that's enough

Jimcs50
04-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I thought he did a great job. He is not a homer like Elliott, so you people are just not used to someone not creaming all over themselves over our Spurs.

:tu

v2000
04-26-2006, 08:34 AM
I thought he did a great job. He is not a homer like Elliott, so you people are just not used to someone not creaming all over themselves over our Spurs.

I agree. I thought he did a good job.

spur219
04-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Not really. Everytime one of the commentators would compliment the Spurs he would turn around with a However comment. The guy was completely biased. I got sick of hearing him.

Jimcs50
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Not really. Everytime one of the commentators would compliment the Spurs he would turn around with a However comment. The guy was completely biased. I got sick of hearing him.

why would he be biased toward's Sacto??? He hates Ron Artest, he was East guy his whole career...you are just paranoid.

CharlieMac
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
He wasnt that great. I dont remember why though. I was drinking.

G-Nob
04-26-2006, 08:55 AM
What about Jalen Rose? Talk about a fish out of water....

polandprzem
04-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I've got that game on PC I think when he was making a comment on the referee wistle in one play. I said to myself WTF he is taking about? He didn't knew the rule. And I can remember what was it about. (About contact while player is shooting ore something like that)

Jimcs50
04-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I've got that game on PC I think when he was making a comment on the referee wistle in one play. I said to myself WTF he is taking about? He didn't knew the rule. And I can remember what was it about. (About contact while player is shooting ore something like that)

hardly any announcers know all the rules, that is nothing new. Give him some slack, this is his first year doing this gig, and I really like the guy. He is hilarious on Dan Patrick every Monday afternoon and he knows his sports better than most athletes do. I really like his repartee with Mark Jackson on the show.

spur219
04-26-2006, 09:07 AM
why would he be biased toward's Sacto??? He hates Ron Artest, he was East guy his whole career...you are just paranoid.

Me paranoid not really. I just call it on how I see it.

Mixability
04-26-2006, 09:19 AM

All the comments in the Spurs favor that he yells get annoying at times. Didn't he almost get thrown out of a game for yelling at an official when he was a commentator?

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I think he's doing alright for a first year guy. I distinctly remember him saying something about Manu being a flopper during the game, which I don't know should be counted as a compliment from a master or down right hypocrisy.

Jalen Rose was absolutely terrible. The guy sounded like he was reading off a cue card, he didn't look anyone in the eye, but I'll give him credit for holding it together when NVE was hitting him with the towels.

angel_luv
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I have yet to hear Reggie and enjoy it.

2centsworth
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I thought Jalen was good, well spoken, good questions. Reggie has a very high IQ but gets on my nerves a little with comments like Kevin Martin has Ice Water in his Vains after he made a 3 with 9 minutes left in the game. Usually statements like that are reserved for 3s down the stretch (2mins or less).

SA210
04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Don't like it. His voice is annoying. So is Stan Kelley's.

Jimcs50
04-26-2006, 09:39 AM
I think he's doing alright for a first year guy. I distinctly remember him saying something about Manu being a flopper during the game, which I don't know should be counted as a compliment from a master or down right hypocrisy.

The comment was apropos, because it really looked like a charge, but he was commenting on Manu's rep as a flopper, so that is why he did not get the call. He probably had a smirk on his face about mentioning flopping though.

:)

cheguevara

yup. Plus anybody would get annoying if they have to talk for 3 hours nonstop. Nomatter how smart, cool, funny you are, you are bound to annoy some people. Miller hasn't forced me to MUTE my TV yet, so he's ok in my book.

NoMoneyDown
He is not a homer like Elliott, so you people are just not used to someone not creaming all over themselves over our Spurs.

Actually, Elliott just won an award as one of the BEST NBA broadcasters. I believe only six people received the award. I doubt this would come to someone who only talks about his favorite team.

Jimcs50
04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Actually, Elliott just won an award as one of the BEST NBA broadcasters. I believe only six people received the award. I doubt this would come to someone who only talks about his favorite team.

Sean is good, but when he does Spurs games, he is a homer bigtime....I do not blame him, it is just a fact.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I think Reggie was a good commentator, and when he said something I didn't like I just reminded the TV that Reggie never won a ring...

Reggie Miller
04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Reggie has disappointed me somewhat, but then I look at the competition. Compared to any of the ESPN/ABC broadcasters, he does an excellent job. (At least he talks about the actual game he is supposed to cover.)

Reggie has made several negative comments about the Spurs this year, but Reggie has also said many times that the Spurs are the best team in the NBA. (The Pistons are the only team that you can even argue about; the rest of the league is not playing the same sport as Detroit or San Antonio.) You have to remember that everything that he says is within that context.

Many of Reggie's comments are correct. "The Spurs freethrow shooting may be their only weakness." Later, he called it their "Achille's heel." (Achilles was otherwise invulnerable, as you may recall.) Anyone rember last year's Finals? The Spurs almost made cry with frustration at times. Yes, they shot well enough from the stripe to win Game 7, but FTs are the Spurs' biggest problem. (Most teams would kill to have that problem.)

Reggie has a lot of room for improvement as an announcer. One of his biggest flaws may be mandated by TNT, however. I am of the school that the color man should only speak when he has something to say. Most broadcasting teams talk way too much. It isn't radio after all; we can see the action. (One of my biggest pet peeves is when an announcer tells you that "the crowd is going wild." If the network had the arena miked correctly, the announcer could just shut up and let us HEAR the crowd.)

Reggie is slightly monotone, but this should improve.

On the bright side, the head sets hide his ears...

Crookshanks
04-26-2006, 10:14 AM
I fixed the annoying Reggie by watching the game on Fox Sports Net - so I got to listen to my favorite announcer, Sean Elliott!!

LEONARD
04-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Reggie has a HUGE bag of nothin'...

DDS4
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Not my favorite, but I thought he was pretty fair.

Gave some good insight on screens...heh. He can recognize a good/bad screen when he sees one.

IceColdBrewski
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I feel for those of you who can't hear Elliot. Sean is an excellent announcer. And he has a sense of humor that doesn't quit. He does have some homer in him, but it's not as bad as some of you make it out to be. He's always quick to clown on a Spurs player for doing something stupid. Like Tony Parker stepping out of bounds last night. He all but admitted that Sacramento gave the game away. He was also quick to point out that Barry got the "lucky roll" on his shot last night.

I hear what you're saying. You can always tell that Sean is pulling for the Spurs. But he usually tells it like it is.

G-Nob
04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Is there anything we can do, to get rid of "shaky voice" stan kelly and "ya'll ready for this"?

SA210
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Is there anything we can do, to get rid of "shaky voice" stan kelly and "ya'll ready for this"?
I agree, but some will say it doesn't matter, which it doesn't as far as the game goes, but they do suck Very badly.

Stan Kelly sounds weak and like he's always holding his nose when he speaks, "Here come your Spuuurs!!" :td weak

RobinsontoDuncan
04-26-2006, 11:47 AM
He's always quick to clown on a Spurs player for doing something stupid. Like Tony Parker stepping out of bounds last night.

Always find a way to get that in there huh Brew? :lol

50 cent
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I got sick of Reggie saying, "This is Abdur Rahim's first playoff appearance" after about the 40 times he mentioned it in the 1st half. :td

angel_luv
04-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Jalen Rose was absolutely terrible. The guy sounded like he was reading off a cue card, he didn't look anyone in the eye, but I'll give him credit for holding it together when NVE was hitting him with the towels.

Haha! I saw that! Was that who it was? hehe

ploto
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Nick did it. :)

Doug Collins
04-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm sick of Reggie always sneaking in some sort of Indiana Pacer reference. During the game they were talking about the best benches in the league, mentioning the Spurs, Mavs, etc. and he has to come over the top with his "Indiana!" B.S. Happens every broadcast and it's why I hate him. At the beginning of the season the TNT guys were talking about the favorites to win the title Spurs, Pistons and Reggie wouldnt shut up about the damn Pacers. I know he loves his team but try to at least be somewhat objective. And his comments on Manu flopping are quite hypocritical, coming from one of the biggest floppers/complainers of all time.

angel_luv
04-26-2006, 01:19 PM
hahahaha- you trolls!

Spurminator
04-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm surprised with some of the responses... For one thing, I thought he was very complimentary of the Spurs and didn't for one second think he was favoring Sacramento... If anything, I wondered if some might think he was being too complimentary of the Spurs.

I think Reggie's one of the better color commentators to enter the business in the last few years. Well spoken, funny and observant.

As for Jalen Rose, that was high comedy.

Horry For 3!
04-26-2006, 01:28 PM
His commentating was decent, better than some.

I still :lmao @ Dick Stockton as he can't say Manu he says Mono, freakin idiot

Obstructed_View
04-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Reggie is a probably a nice guy, but if there's a Miller that should be doing color on games, it's the one that attended USC, because apparently it's the only university in Los Angeles that requires grammar skills to attend. At one point last night I said to my wife "If he fucking says 'shareef abdul raheem' one more time I'm going to break the TV." He makes up words while he's talking, and he has one of the most annoying nasaltone voices I've ever heard.

That said, Jalen Rose makes Reggie look like Curt Gowdy. I swear someone was feeding him questions through his earpiece or he had actually memorized what he was going to say. He may be the worst sideline reporter ever. Somewhere Eric Dickerson is breathing a sigh of relief.

romsey31
04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I think Reggie was a good commentator, and when he said something I didn't like I just reminded the TV that Reggie never won a ring...

WOW thats weak...

ObiwanGinobili
04-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I Love Sean, I love his homerness :lol. have yet to listen to Reggie.... so I'm withholding judgement. the only chance I would here reggie is if Sean was unavailable.