PDA

View Full Version : Jason Terry most likely ask for $10 million a year?

ducks
04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
You wrote that the Mavs will have trouble keeping Jason Terry because he’ll most likely ask for $10 million. If you think about the teams that have cap space, all of them either have a set point guard or a young one with potential. I think we’ll be able to keep him at around $8 million per season, going by past players at his position. He doesn’t have more than five or six quality years left in him anyway. Do you think a team would want to sign him to play two guard?

Ben Degani

MOORE: I don’t think I said that Terry is likely to ask for $10 million. He’s declined to talk about what he will want in free agency. I threw that out as a number that could be used by his side in negotiations based on what players at his level are receiving around the league.

If Terry is willing to accept a contract that averages $8 million a season, my guess is he’d be signed in moments. Johnson really likes him, and the injury problems that plagued Devin Harris late in the season shows it would be risky to turn the position over to him going into next season. The question is, will other teams be willing to offer him more?

I think there’s a good chance that will happen, especially if Terry performs as well in these playoffs as he did last season. Cuttino Mobley signed a five-year deal with the LA Clippers last summer that pays him $8.3 million, $8.9 million and $9.5 million in the final three years. If Mobley got it, Terry can too.

• • •

Q: I read somewhere that if we don’t resign Terry in the off-season that Sam Cassell would be a possibility. What is your take? Also, any semi-big names out there in the free-agent market this summer the Mavs are looking to land?

Quinn Goldman

MOORE: Cassell would be a possibility. But he doesn’t want a one year deal. He wants at least two. That might be a potential snag on the Mavericks’ end – or other teams, for that matter.

As for semi-big names, you be the judge. The best free agent will be Detroit’s Ben Wallace, but it’s difficult to envision a scenario where he leaves. Cleveland’s Drew Gooden, Denver’s Nene, Atlanta’s Al Harrington, Toronto’s Mike James and New Orleans’s Speedy Claxton are some other interesting names.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042606dnspomavsletter.6ee06978.html

FreshPrince22
04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
LMAO! If he gets that I'm scared to find out what Chauncey wants in the '07 offseason :spless: