PDA

View Full Version : VP debates

Jimcs50
10-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Why are these always better than the Presidential debates. Just like 4 yrs ago, this one kicked ass. That Edwards is one little weasel, IMO.

Yonivore
10-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Why are these always better than the Presidential debates. Just like 4 yrs ago, this one kicked ass. That Edwards is one little weasel, IMO.
It boils down to President Bush's poor extemporaneous speaking ability. The Vice President is very good at it. And, both, Kerry and Edwards have been polishing their presence, for public speaking, for decades. Kerry as an activist and then a politician. Edwards as a sleazy lawyer.

whottt
10-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Bush sucks but Kerry is 10 times as annoying of a public speaker...he, not Bush, sounds like the ultimate silver spoon fratboy and I want to pound him when I hear him speak.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-05-2004, 10:50 PM
I think in the presidential debate you saw both trying to use some tact and show some respect for their opponent.

Tonight was a back alley brawl, and Cheney had a wealth of experience to drawn on, not to mention a bigger club.

Marcus Bryant
10-06-2004, 12:03 AM
http://www.polipundit.com/

My favorite remarks just now heard from Mike Barnicle – at the end of the debate it was as if Dick Cheney was the dad turning to the son saying, “By the way, give me the keys, too.” He said when Edwards was talking, Cheney looked at Gwen Ifill the way he looks at his wife when their 18 year old son is trying to pull one over on them. That just about says it all.

Jimcs50
10-06-2004, 09:39 AM
But in 2000, the VP debate was the best too. As I said, why are they always the best debates?

LandShark
10-06-2004, 09:45 AM
But in 2000, the VP debate was the best too. As I said, why are they always the best debates?
I believe that the Vice Presidential debates tend to be better because there is less of a focus upon them from the media and the general public. With such a reduced focus comes reduced emotional stress, enabling the candidates to fell more comfortable "being themselves."

The most entertaining debate I can remember watching was the 1992 Vice Presidential debate between Dan Quayle, Al Gore, and James Stockdale.

whottt
10-06-2004, 10:24 AM
My favorite was Quayle Bensten...But it also proves that the VP debates have little or no bearing on who wins the election if the presidential candidate is too much of a flaming liberal, I know that was the last time I voted Republican. Bensten destroyed Quayle but there is no way in hell I was voting for Dukakis...alhtough he'd be a pleasant alternative to Kerry.

JoeChalupa
10-06-2004, 10:45 AM
I expected nothing less than what Cheney gave.

Edwards did okay but Cheney simply has the experience although all the experience in the world isn't going to help Bush's speaking ability.