PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of dead comedians...

AlamoSpursFan
10-05-2004, 11:44 PM
...Mrs. ASF was watching that FX show about firemen (sorry, I forget the title) tonight and I suddenly realized that Denis Leary hasn't been doing much stand-up since Bill Hicks passed...

:sleep

pooh
10-05-2004, 11:46 PM
The show you're referring to is "Rescue Me". He co-created the show. I think he's primarily been focusing on drama, rather than comedy. But we still have the Quaker State ads he's been doing, they're funny.

AlamoSpursFan
10-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I think he's primarily been focusing on drama, rather than comedy.

Which was my point.

The primary source for his material is no longer producing material.

pooh
10-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Kind of like Steve Martin, whose "material" and style has changed dramatically since "The Jerk". Which I think he should go back to.

AlamoSpursFan
10-05-2004, 11:56 PM
I was referring to the fact that most of Leary's material is arguably lifted straight from Bill Hicks. What point are you trying to make?

pooh
10-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Nothing...I'm brain fried from writing close to 20 pages over the past 3 hrs. So nevermind my rambling.

CrazyOne
10-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Hmm... hasn't someone said that celebrity deaths come in 3's? Janet Leigh, Rodney Dangerfield... who's the next one to round out the trio?

bigzak25
10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
i vaguely know who bill hicks is.....what are some of his funny jokes....

pooh
10-07-2004, 05:15 PM

Just don't let Chris Duel hear you say you vaguely know who Bill Hicks is, he thinks Hicks is responsible for the parting of the red sea.

He was an "ok" comic. But I wouldn't put him up there with the greats. You're not missing much.

Guru of Nothing
10-07-2004, 07:05 PM
He was an "ok" comic. But I wouldn't put him up there with the greats. You're not missing much.

Alas, for Pooh, he does not queue up the laughter with a "You might be a redneck." Bill Hicks ranks up there with the all time greats. He does not tell jokes, per se, rather, he had a unique view of the world, and he expressed that view through stand-up comedy with a sense of timing second to none.

That said, to quote Bill Hicks material does not usually do it justice, because the nuance and timing is just not there - think Lenny Bruce.

When not neck-deep into a full-blown rant, Bill Hicks was one of the best ever.

Bill Hicks - Battle Blog material??

Guru of Nothing
10-07-2004, 07:31 PM

Googled this very good article:

http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2002/03/13/hicks/print.html

AlamoSpursFan
10-07-2004, 07:41 PM

How the hell do you find time to write with all of that crack smoking you must be doing?

:rolleyes

bigzak25
10-08-2004, 08:42 AM
thanks for the link Guru......