PDA

View Full Version : Question for Argentine fans

T-Pain
04-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Andres Nocioni is doin a damn good job with the bulls, and of course, so is Manu. Do people in Argentina still love Manu, or is Andres catching up with him in popularity?

KingsFanWithoutName
04-27-2006, 11:25 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/manu.jpg

SuperManu!!!
04-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Manu is still and always be our N 1.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Nocioni is popular and liked because of his attitude and his heart, but among basketball and sport fans. Manu's popularity is way beyond that, you can ask the average Juan "who is Manu? what has he done?" and he will answer you.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 07:49 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/manu.jpg
you do know that's Manu's brother, right?

Sportman
04-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Nocion is playing very well this season and people love him because he has always played with great heart. When he played in europe only basketball fans knew him, maybe now the average people is knowing him because he is doing well now, but with the difference he is in the NBA :spin .
While manu is our GOD. He is the best player ever inside our basketball, and as one said, any person knows who is manu ginobili, even if they dont know what the hell basketball is :spin

ManuLoco
04-28-2006, 09:43 AM
While manu is our GOD. :rolleyes

He may be your god...mine is Maradona...no, just kidding :lol

I don't know where you argentinians live but almost everybody I know here in bs as could care less how manu is doing in the nba, they do know him thou.

Don't forget that Nocioni plays for chicago and that team is the most famous over here (thanks to MJ) among basketball fans. Before 2003 we didn't even know there was a city called San Antonio in the US :oops
So, if chicago becomes in the near future title contenders and Nocioni is a key part of the team then he'll be more famous than Manu. :depressed

doldrums
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Let's see, after the Spurs won last year, Maradona had Manu on his show and told him how he watched all of the finals. Also your President Kirchner had Manu over and related how he closely followed the playoffs, so I think there are many following from Argentina.

manubili
04-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Nocioni is great, but not too many people know him beyond basketball fans. Everyone knows Manu. Even though, basketball is not as popular as last year, the fever lasted two months, and then everyone came back to soccer as usual.

Anyway, due to Manu and Nocioni, Oberto and Delfino, there are a lot of new basketball fans arround here.

Everyone is saying that Argentina will suck ass in the Soccer World Championship (hope not), and if it happens, everyone will be looking for the Basketball World Championship, a couple of months later. Then we'll have another peak of bball popularity.

Personally I'm more worried of US NT, than Brazil soccer team.

ManuLoco
04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Let's see, after the Spurs won last year, Maradona had Manu on his show and told him how he watched all of the finals. Also your President Kirchner had Manu over and related how he closely followed the playoffs, so I think there are many following from Argentina.

That's what they were expected to say...

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 10:04 AM
yes there are many, but Manu is far from being the icon that Maradona is, REALLY FAR. I live in BsAs too, and I have to say that beyond basketball fans not too many people follow Manu's progress. Ofcourse, that could be because there aren't many games broadcasted over here.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand is right about one thing, due in no small part to the hype that Manu has had by our government (our government overhypes almost any international accomplishment by an Argentinian) almost anyone can tell you who Manu is, however, he is most certainly not as loved a figure as Maradona is. Even I, someone who spends quite a lot (too much really) of time in front of the computer screen watching play-by-plays of Spurs games because I can't watch the actual games; even I'm more fond of what Maradona has done for us than what Manu has done.

We Argentinians are a futbol loving nation above all else, and I don't see that changing any time soon. In short, Manu is definately popular, but not godlike like some people seem to believe.

Sportman
04-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Don't forget that Nocioni plays for chicago and that team is the most famous over here (thanks to MJ) among basketball fans. Before 2003 we didn't even know there was a city called San Antonio in the US :oops
So, if chicago becomes in the near future title contenders and Nocioni is a key part of the team then he'll be more famous than Manu. :depressed

Maybe you and the people, who dont know about basketball, didnt know anything about san antonio spurs but i have followed the nba for a long time and i knew the spurs before manu came, and i know i am not the only person.
As respects nocioni, he is not never going to be what manu is for us. Manu is the only player who has won two championships and a olimpic gold medal. Besides he was the best europe player, so manu is without a doubt, MANUDONA, nobody is going to be like him in ARGENTINA.

Sportman
04-28-2006, 10:19 AM
yes there are many, but Manu is far from being the icon that Maradona is, REALLY FAR. I live in BsAs too, and I have to say that beyond basketball fans not too many people follow Manu's progress. Ofcourse, that could be because there aren't many games broadcasted over here.

Yes i agree that manu is not NEVER going to be MARADONA, nevertheless; we must explain people that Buenos Aires is not the best place to talk about basketball. This is a "soccer city" where people is all day talking about soccer, and where basketball teams like boca juniors, obras and ferro have VERY few fans because people from Buenos Aires have never cared basketball until they knew there was somebody called GINOBILI.
In Argentina if you want to talk about basketball, you´d better go to cities like Cordoba, Bahia Blanca, Mar del Plata, Santa fé and others cities.

KingsFanWithoutName
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Seriously?

bdubya
04-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Who cares? Just MAKE IT GO AWAY!! :spless:

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Seriously?
yeah

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes i agree that manu is not NEVER going to be MARADONA, nevertheless; we must explain people that Buenos Aires is not the best place to talk about basketball. This is a "soccer city" where people is all day talking about soccer, and where basketball teams like boca juniors, obras and ferro have VERY few fans because people from Buenos Aires have never cared basketball until they knew there was somebody called GINOBILI.
In Argentina if you want to talk about basketball, you´d better go to cities like Cordoba, Bahia Blanca, Mar del Plata, Santa fé and others cities.
well considering that about 13+ million people out Argentina's 36 million live in Buenos Aires and its surroundings...

Look all I'm saying is most of Argentina doesn't care that much about basketball, and that is a fact

Borosai
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I will visit Buenos Aires one day and spread both my love for the Spurs and my seed...it's a win-win for everyone! :elephant

Sportman
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
well considering that about 13+ million people out Argentina's 36 million live in Buenos Aires and its surroundings...

No sorry, when i talked about Buenos Aires i was pointing out "Capital Federal". Because if you see the province of Buenos Aires, you can fin cities like, Junin, San Nicolas, Mar del Plata, Bahia Blanca, and a couple of other cities where basketball is very popular.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
No sorry, when i talked about Buenos Aires i was pointing out "Capital Federal". Because if you see the province of Buenos Aires, you can fin cities like, Junin, San Nicolas, Mar del Plata, Bahia Blanca, and a couple of other cities where basketball is very popular.
that is true, but you are seriously arguing most of Argentina follows basketball on a national and international level?? because if you are, I'd say you are DEAD wrong. I think it has become more popular in recent years, but that is it.

Sportman
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Regarding this popularity, i was talking about, has always existed in the cities i named before. And what is happening now in "capital federal" is more a fanaticism to manu than basketball itself.

T-Pain
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
great insights yall, thanks!

Also, just to let yall know, I just bought Argentina's National Soccer jersey that they will wear in the World Cup. The colors and designs are sweet!

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Regarding this popularity, i was talking about, has always existed in the cities i named before. And what is happening now in "capital federal" is more a fanaticism to manu than basketball itself.
I agree

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
great insights yall, thanks!

Also, just to let yall know, I just bought Argentina's National Soccer jersey that they will wear in the World Cup. The colors and designs are sweet!
:tu

nkdlunch
04-28-2006, 01:34 PM
No way Nocioni will ever be more popular than Manu. Nocioni is a fuckin beast and I hope he keeps dominating the way he is. His nickname is Chapu after Chapulin a superhero. He is becoming the heart and soul of the Bulls. But let's be honest, Manu is a phenomenom that onlly happens once in a lifetime.

WalterBenitez
04-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I will visit Buenos Aires one day and spread both my love for the Spurs and my seed...it's a win-win for everyone! :elephant

Just let us know baby, just let us know :drunk

IMHO MANU is #1, bc he's so lucky, skilled ... but CHAPU is a worker, plays with passion, heart ... MANU is soft compared with the STONE's CHAPU... I don't think Bulls could have got the playoff without CHAPU and BG.

WalterBenitez
04-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Look all I'm saying is most of Argentina doesn't care that much about basketball, and that is a fact

Okey there are many cities where BBall is followed with passion (obviously not as big as Buenos Aires and never popular as futbol), Bahia Blanca, Cordoba and those small cities where Natl Bball League have a team, starting with Rafaela :king (that last night won the South American league 3-1 to Riberão Preto from Brazil)

Are we 36+ million ... hm .. how many are here!?? :smokin