PDA

View Full Version : Spurs can't defend their poor defense

ploto
04-28-2006, 05:53 AM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Gregg Popovich warned the Spurs. He told them, in spite of Saturday's lopsided victory, they weren't 34 points better than Sacramento. He said Ron Artest's suspension could reduce the pressure hanging over the Kings. And he knew someone was sure to step up in Artest's place.

So when the Kings surged ahead Tuesday night in Game2, playing fast, free and easy, repeatedly beating the Spurs down the floor, Popovich didn't look at his team with an I-told-you-so smirk. He slammed his hands against the scorer's table in frustration, yelled at Tim Duncan, then shotgunned through the huddle during a timeout. His rant continued into halftime.

Later, after Brent Barry's 3-pointer and a come-from-behind victory had soothed his soul, Popovich was in good enough spirits to call the Spurs' first-half transition defense the "most pathetic performance" he has seen from one of his teams.

"It shows a lack of respect for your opponent," Popovich said.

Sacramento should have the Spurs' full attention when the first-round series resumes tonight with Game3 at Arco Arena. Not only is Artest returning from his one-game suspension, he's bringing more than 17,000 friends with him to fill what many consider is the NBA's loudest facility.

With Barry having to bounce in a 3-pointer to force overtime Tuesday, the Spurs know they are fortunate to have arrived here with a 2-0 lead. They also know their own history: Each of the three previous times the Spurs won the first two games of a best-of-7 series at home, they went on the road and lost the next two games.

To reverse that trend, the Spurs will need to defend better than they did Tuesday. The Kings' 119 points, 10 of which came in overtime, were the most the Spurs had allowed in a playoff game in 14 years.

"That's way above where we need to be," Duncan said. "We need to get back down to our comfort zone."

Sacramento, meanwhile, would prefer the Spurs' offense also resume its usual production. The Spurs totaled 250 points in the first two games — their most in consecutive playoff games since combining for 260 in the final two games of their 1990 Western Conference first-round series against Denver.

The Spurs' shooters deserve a lot of credit for the outburst. After matching the franchise's playoff record with 11 3-pointers in Game1, the Spurs established a new one Tuesday with 12. Including the final two games of the regular season, the Spurs have made a combined 48 of 91 3-point attempts (52.7 percent) in their past four games.

"I did not anticipate them shooting threes that well," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "It seems like they've all got it going at once. If they're going to go 12 for 26 every game, it's going to be really tough."

Though aware of the old basketball adage that one who lives by the 3-pointer will eventually also die by it, the Spurs think most of their perimeter shots have come within the context of their offense. With Sacramento intent on keeping Tony Parker out of the lane, as well as occasionally double-teaming Duncan, the Spurs' shooters have often had good looks.

"When our guys are getting shots like that, we love 'em," said Duncan, who averaged 12.5 points in the first two games. "... But every once in a while, I tell them I'm still there."

The Spurs may have to lean on Duncan a bit more tonight. With Artest back, the Kings can throw their best defender on Manu Ginobili and still use Kevin Martin to guard Parker, if needed. Artest, who has pledged to focus on defending and rebounding, also enables the Kings to better match up with the small lineup the Spurs used for most of the fourth quarter and overtime in Game2.

Artest thinks Sacramento still has "a great chance" to win the series, and his confidence likely has a lot to do with the Kings being back on their own floor. Since his arrival, Sacramento has gone 15-3 at home.

Many of the Spurs have never played at Arco Arena in the playoffs when the Kings' cowbell-clanging fans are at their loudest. Popovich, however, has liked what he has seen from his team during its travels this season. The Spurs' 29-12 road record was the best in the league.

"We feel that appropriate sort of fear when our backs are against the wall," Popovich said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042806.1D.BKNspurs.kings.1448fc8e.html

For all the moaning and groaning, the Spurs actually ended up with the best road record this season.

They need to turn the defensive intensity back up-- from start to finish.

Jimcs50
04-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Many of the Spurs have never played at Arco Arena in the playoffs when the Kings' cowbell-clanging fans are at their loudest. Popovich, however, has liked what he has seen from his team during its travels this season. The Spurs' 29-12 road record was the best in the league.

Horry has. :smokin

He is likely to hear the loudest boos from the fans, and deservedly so. I think he will relish the experience.

:lol

I like the Spurs chances to win tonight.

ploto
04-28-2006, 08:34 AM

He is likely to hear the loudest boos from the fans, and deservedly so. I think he will relish the experience.

Plus, all the guys who have played in Europe in much more hostile environments. Was it Tony who once talked about having things, like cell phones, thrown at him?

Jimcs50
04-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Plus, all the guys who have played in Europe in much more hostile environments. Was it Tony who once talked about having things, like cell phones, thrown at him?

The Spurs can not win 3 championships w/o winning in hostile environments.

NoMoneyDown
04-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Each of the three previous times the Spurs won the first two games of a best-of-7 series at home, they went on the road and lost the next two games.

That's bad news.

The Spurs' 29-12 road record was the best in the league.

That's good news.

boutons_
04-28-2006, 09:01 AM
vs LA 05 2W - 2L - L - L

vs SEA 05 2W - 2L - W - W

vs DET 05 2W - (2L W ) - (L W)

boutons_
04-28-2006, 09:07 AM
The abilities that the Kings showed

1) in beating the Spurs @ATT in the last season game and in Game2 (except for a lucky bounce),

2) the confidence/sense of injustice the Kings have from Game2 from the Spurs poor play,

.. could mean this series goes 6 or 7, if the Spurs don't win tonight. A

The Spurs defense just couldn't handle the King's offense.
That will get worse vs Mavs and Pistons.

Jimcs50
04-28-2006, 09:11 AM

1) in beating the Spurs @ATT in the last season game and in Game2,

2) the confidence/sense of injustice the Kings have from Game2 from the Spurs poor play,

.. could mean this series goes 6 or 7, if the Spurs don't win tonight. A

The Spurs defense just couldn't handle the King's offense.
That will get worse vs Mavs and Pistons.

Thankyou Chicken Little.

exstatic
04-28-2006, 09:17 AM
That's bad news.
Two of those were last year: Seattle and Detroit. I think the third one he referred to was the .4 series.

NBA playoff teams that win the first two games wint their series at a 95% clip. It's not just about winning the series anymore, it's about shortening it to 4-5 games.

The Spurs really need to play them like Phoenix right out of the gate. I remember that Pop had the scout team take the ball out of the net (as opposed to out of bounds) and run in preparation for Phoenix's break. It got the players used to getting back FAST on 'D' and prepared them for the running game.

Play the break and play the shooters around the arc. Rebound, especially on defense. Everything else will take care of itself.

whottt
04-28-2006, 11:24 AM
]Each of the three previous times the Spurs won the first two games of a best-of-7 series at home, they went on the road and lost the next two games.

WTF is Ludden trying to do with that comment? It's a mindnumbingly inaccurate and misleading statement.

I hope he is just talking about last season...

Of course, in the series we did not have HCA last season, we won the first two games on the road and then won 1 of 2 at home...

whottt
04-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Two of those were last year: Seattle and Detroit. I think the third one he referred to was the .4 series.

Then what about the Memphis series from that year? Went 2-0 at home and then won the next 2 in Memphis(and that was a best of 7).

I can think of a lot of times we have won the first 2 at home and not lost the next 2 on the road...

Let's start with the 98-99 WCF and Finals...and Semis...

He's just framing info to make a point, 3 previous my ass...and it's a not a particularly accurate, insightful or meaningful point.

T Park
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM

1) in beating the Spurs @ATT in the last season game and in Game2 (except for a lucky bounce

Point 1 sunshine

Regular season means jack shit right now, get that right.

Point 2, they didn't beat the Spurs in game 2 except for a lucky bounce.

They still had 4 seconds to make a shot, and they got a good one, SAR choked, so what.

They also had overtime, they stiffed there too.

Typical negative bad post from sunshine.

SequSpur
04-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Yawn. Most of you are stupid.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
That's bad news.

That's good news.

Where's that Master of the Obvious guy when you really need him?

Brutalis
04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Kings have showed promise all year long in some games, but like most teams it's about doing it on a consistant basis. And they can't.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-28-2006, 03:57 PM

:lol

I like the Spurs chances to win tonight.
I'm wondering which Spurs in particular are going to get booed tonight. I can think of various reasons for a number of Spurs to get booed:

Horry - He's the guarantee, as I think they've booed him every year since the shot

Manu - Pretty decent chance I think, if the Sac fans view him as the reason Artest got suspended

Barry - Quite possible, just because he hit that shot, but I don't think he's shown any attitude about it that would make it really likely

Duncan - Probably not, but you never know, maybe the fans are still really upset at that "illegal pick"

Bowen - Also not likely to happen, but Artest has said some things about him being dirty, and perhaps Kings fans won't appreciate the irony

NVE - A huge longshot, but I don't know for sure if the fans still harbor a grudge for how badly he torched them in 2003

Can we get a vBookie on this? :lol