PDA

View Full Version : Garnett honored for Katrina relief contributions

ploto
04-28-2006, 06:01 AM
MINNEAPOLIS -- Kevin Garnett can add another line to his resume.

The nine-time All-Star forward was named the winner of the NBA's J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award on Thursday, an honor given annually to a player or coach for outstanding community service. It's named for a former commissioner of the league and presented by the Professional Basketball Writers Association.

"I am happy that I can help make a difference in the communities, and blessed to be in the position where I am able to lend support. Hopefully, this will encourage others to do the same," Garnett said in a prepared statement released by the NBA.

Garnett donated $1.2 million toward Hurricane Katrina relief efforts last fall and participated in other projects related to the storm.

He has a local foundation, called 4XL, that has helped open computer labs in two Minneapolis high schools and strives to make technology available to all students.

The other finalists for the award were Ron Artest of Sacramento (:lol), Chauncey Billups of Detroit, Steve Nash of Phoenix and Michael Redd of Milwaukee.

Wes Unseld, Dave Bing, Bob Lanier, Julius Erving, Isiah Thomas, Alex English, Magic Johnson and Joe Dumars are among the previous winners. Eric Snow of the Cleveland Cavaliers won the award last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2424076