PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions please

ICE3000
04-28-2006, 11:13 AM
OK if we do make it to th finals and wind up facing the Detroit Pistons how much of a shot do you think we have against them considering the way TD has been playing this season... lets face it if TD dosn't step we WILL NOT repeat. I am a loyal fan but Im also realistic and unless our leader plays at a higher level our chances of beating a team like Detroit are slim to none...I havnt posted but I log on and check out what everyones talking about just about everyday and we are in serious denial the SAN ANTONIO SPURS DO NOT LOOK LIKE THE NBA CHAMPS THIS YEAR

IX_Equilibrium
04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
We have a great shot this season just like we had a great shot last season. It won't be easy, but there isn't a reason why we CAN'T beat Detroit.

Jimcs50
04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
OK if we do make it to th finals and wind up facing the Detroit Pistons how much of a shot do you think we have against them considering the way TD has been playing this season... lets face it if TD dosn't step we WILL NOT repeat. I am a loyal fan but Im also realistic and unless our leader plays at a higher level our chances of beating a team like Detroit are slim to none...I havnt posted but I log on and check out what everyones talking about just about everyday and we are in serious denial the SAN ANTONIO SPURS DO NOT LOOK LIKE THE NBA CHAMPS THIS YEAR

I think SA has a great chance to win it all. TD is getting better as the weeks go by and if SA does not have to go 7 games in next 2 series, they should be more rested by Finals, because they always have some time off before the Finals start. I am thinking that Detroit will have an injury too, you got to go with the odds, and they are way overdue for a starter to go down.

JsnSA
04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree, if TD doesn't play at a level rarely seen from him this year, we don't have too much of a chance to beat the Pistons unless there is a freak injury to one of their players.

Will he be able to do it? I have no idea. Part of me thinks that if it comes down to a final series he will be able to dig down for those last few games and show us something remarkable.

We can only wait and see I guess.

SequSpur
04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Spurs in Four.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
I wonder if maybe Tim has caught the Robert Horry syndrome and is just chilling back until when we need him the most. If he could turn his game up with two bum ankles last year then I believe that he can find his game when it counts. The Pistons are good but they're not invincible.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-28-2006, 11:24 AM
If we play the Pistons, the Spurs better learn how to rebound and play defense better.

T Park
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Game 1, Duncan wasn't need that much really.

Game 2 he was limited by foul trouble.

His offense works off his D, and if his D can't be agressive, it affects his offense.

If he can get involved defensively tonight, rebound, he will have a good game scoring.

Dude needs more than 8 shots though.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I hate posts like this! All that the guy means by "Honest opinions please" is "if you think the Spurs are going to win, you're full of crap"!

T Park
04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
PS

Talk about playing Detroit when the time comes.

Talking about playing them now, only disrespects the Kings, who are good and formidable opponent, along with the next two rounds of teams.

Get through Sac, worry about Dallas or Memphis.

FloppinIsGreat
04-28-2006, 11:28 AM
TD has had one bad game in the playoffs (game 1 was a joke so he rested). Before this game 2 he had hardly played in game 1, didn't play in houston, hardly played against Utah, and hardly played against T'Wolves. Just look at what happened to Detroit after their guys had hardly played - they almost lost game 1 until they woke up against a very, very weak Bucks team. It's not time to piss yourself quite yet, let TD get warmed up first. After last season's playoffs, I have no doubt he will find his rythm again starting tonight. Let's enjoy this one.

101A
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM

His offense works off his D, and if his D can't be agressive, it affects his offense.

If he can get involved defensively tonight, rebound, he will have a good game scoring.

Tim will be saddled early tonite; seems to be a pattern with road teams in this year's playoffs ('cept Sacramento). Look at what happened to Shaq last night - or the number of FT's the Suns took in Phoenix (WAY above there average).

Home teams are now 16-2 this postseason.

redskinfan
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I think the Spurs will have the edge because of coaches, Flip has never sniffed much success in the playoffs before let alone the FINALS, big edge SPURS. Also what happened to Tim's bank shot? is he low on funds that he cant go to the bank anymore? :elephant

Borosai
04-28-2006, 11:33 AM
My pants are telling me that the Spurs will sweep their way to a championship this year. That is what my pants are telling me...honestly.

16-0

Big Pimp_21
04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I thought Timmy looked great in game 2. His scoring was down because of limited minutes (foul trouble). When he was in the game, though, he was a monster on the boards and got alot more lift in his jump than we have seen all season.

SequSpur
04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
PS

Talking about playing them now, only disrespects the Kings, who are good and formidable opponent, along with the next two rounds of teams.

F the Kings. They suck.

Let's talk about the Finals. Don't be a damn slacker.

T Park
04-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Focus Sequ.

I like your optimism, but you have to have a respect for your current opponent.

Look at what game 2 did with the lack of focus.

Spurs gotta bring that focus from game 1 tonight.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
PS

The only 2 formidable opponents for the Spurs are Dallas and Detroit, and as a fan we can talk about whatever matchups we want.

SequSpur
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Focus Sequ.

I like your optimism, but you have to have a respect for your current opponent.

Look at what game 2 did with the lack of focus.

Spurs gotta bring that focus from game 1 tonight.

If the 4-5 traveling calls would've been made on the Kings, we win that game by 10. Oh and not to mention the 20+ fouls on Duncan in the post.

F the Kings.

whottt
04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Let's not forget...Game 2 was a Dick Bavetta game. Winning a playoff game officiated by Dick Bavetta is quite an accomplishment...it doesn't happen often for the Spurs.

T Park
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
^^ :lol

very true

game 6 in the finals last year

game 3 in 99.

SAGambler
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm not much of one to "look ahead" more than to the next game. That is the most important one at the moment.

However, to play your "what if" game, certainly I believe the Spurs have at least a 50/50 chance against the Pistons.

It's not like the Pistons won 82, while the Spurs won 50.

Even the people on the Pistons board are playing this "what if" game, and most agree the Spurs and Pistons match up pretty evenly.

And of course, getting there, and getting there healthy, can make a huge difference to either team.

Rip tweaked his ankle a couple of nights ago. How is that going to affect the Pistons?

What if Billups happened to go down?
What if Manu takes a bad blow and can't play?

The problem with the "what if" game is that you never know how many "what ifs" will play into it.

ICE3000
04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Well I admit it... this year I am NERVOUS! but I love the drama

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Re: Honest opinions please

No, your butt does not look too big in those.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Well I admit it... this year I am NERVOUS! but I love the drama
Seriously this is a postseason where Spurs fans will be on their toes, just like last season.

I know I've been. I was f-ing nervous last Friday before the playoffs. The Kings dismantling us in their last regular season game and the Media predictions before it started had me worried for the Spurs. I don't think it's gonna get any easier for us fans as the season progresses where we can relax a bit.

We can only take it one game at a time.

Leetonidas
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM

Hey T Park, do you have that picture that has Tim Duncan holding the trophy and a meter on the bottom that says "Critics" and it's on 0 decibles?

Sportman
04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Iīd better try to be more quieter than others, and i would say we FIRST have to win this series and then start thinking in the new opponent. Meanwhile, i must think spurs have to beat kings and this series hasnīt started yet. It is going to start today, in the 3 match

bdubya
04-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I am thinking that Detroit will have an injury too, you got to go with the odds, and they are way overdue for a starter to go down.

I was worried about Rip's ankle getting worse....until now. Phew. :lol

Anyhow, IF both teams make the Finals (I expect it, but it's still a big IF), I wouldn't say either team has much of an advantage. Both teams have upgraded their benches since last June, and both teams have seen some starters make major strides this year as well (esp. Parker and Rip). Yes, even if Duncan isn't 100%, the Spurs still have a solid chance.

DarkReign
04-28-2006, 12:43 PM
^update your sig

:tu

Brutalis
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Detroit is not any better than they were in last years Finals. But we have the chance to be better if Duncan can get back to being himself again.

Flip is going to get, all over again, free lessons by Pop in the playoffs.

CubanMustGo
04-28-2006, 01:29 PM
My pants are telling me that the Spurs will sweep their way to a championship this year. That is what my pants are telling me...honestly.

16-0

Get serious. We needed a miracle bounce in game 2 against the Artest-less Kings to get into OT. And ya know we may get Buttvendetta to ref again.

We can win it all if we clean up some minor details (like rebounding), but saying 16-0 is plain foolish.

aaronstampler
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Tim's not as good this year, fine, but I think overall we're a better offensive team. We have a great scoring bench with incredible shooters. I think when we're spaced right and moving the ball well, it's impossible to really stop us from getting a good shot.

That's why all the experts and old-timers say basketball was more fun to watch in the old days, because everyone could shoot. What they miss is that the old-timers couldn't shoot any better than the players now, the difference is that all five players worked together and moved without the ball, so the offenses always got wide open shots.

And that's where we are right now. Our offense is executing brilliantly. In a 53 minute game, we might have had 7 to 10 questionable shots taken the whole game, and 3 were from NVE. As long as we stay unselfish and move the ball to the open man, we're gonna be a lot harder for the Pistons to handle defensively than we were last year.

bdubya
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
^update your sig

:tu

It's showing two wins on my end. If you're only seeing one, maybe you've got the old one in a cache somewhere? (Or do you mean the colors? I put it together before I had a look at the current Palace banner, but I'm not gonna change that as long as we're winning). (Or am I an idiot and missing something else really obvious?)

bdubya
04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Detroit is not any better than they were in last years Finals.

Detroit has a much better offensive system, can still lock it down on D, Rip's developed a 3-point shot and is better off the dribble, Tayshaun's better all around, and instead of Arroyo and Dupree off the bench, we've got Delk, Evans and Delfino. Trust me, the Pistons are better than they were. If you don't want to take my word for it, just be patient; you'll see. :eyebrows

nkdlunch
04-28-2006, 01:58 PM
We have a great shot this season just like we had a great shot last season. It won't be easy, but there isn't a reason why we CAN'T beat Detroit.

yup

nkdlunch
04-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Detroit has a much better offensive system, can still lock it down on D, Rip's developed a 3-point shot and is better off the dribble, Tayshaun's better all around, and instead of Arroyo and Dupree off the bench, we've got Delk, Evans and Delfino. Trust me, the Pistons are better than they were. If you don't want to take my word for it, just be patient; you'll see. :eyebrows

Ok but if u acknowledge that, you HAVE to acknowledge Pistons defense is not as good as last year so it balances out. And remember, Spurs can outscore ANY team at will. We have a LOT of guns, so offense is not a concern.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I think it's fair to say that both teams too steps to address what few weaknesses they had last year, which is why this year's final should be just as compelling.

RON ARTEST
04-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Spurs in Four. :lol over the pistons? wow you are retarded. how do you expect people to take you seriously when you post dumb shit like this?

nkdlunch
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
:lol over the pistons? wow you are retarded. how do you expect people to take you seriously when you post dumb shit like this?

that's the thing. Noone takes him seriously but you

bdubya
04-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Ok but if u acknowledge that, you HAVE to acknowledge Pistons defense is not as good as last year so it balances out. And remember, Spurs can outscore ANY team at will. We have a LOT of guns, so offense is not a concern.

Balances out? The defense has slipped slightly; yes, the FGA% slipped, but "points allowed" barely budged (up less than 1 ppg). OTOH, the offense is considerably more productive; it doesn't balance out, overall the Pistons are better than last year.

And if the Spurs can outscore ANY team at will, then doesn't that mean they can, ummm, BEAT any team at will? I mean, if you outscore the other team, that's pretty much the end of the story, right? You calling for a sweep?

DarkReign
04-28-2006, 02:30 PM

lol

bdubya, must be me. Cool sig though.

EDITED: yup, it was me. It updated after I found Ben16 in cache.

RON ARTEST
04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
well i dont anymore. at least when he was talking about the kings series it was something that can actually happen. but sweeping the pistons? all i can do is laugh. the spurs cant beat the pistons 4 out of 7 this year. simple as that.

Fabbs
04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Suppose Duncan is at 80%.
As if the rest of the Pistons are soo much better then the rest of the Spurs.
Bullstink. They aren't.

bdubya
04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I think it's fair to say that both teams too steps to address what few weaknesses they had last year, which is why this year's final should be just as compelling.

Eloquent summary; 'nuff said.

nkdlunch
04-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Balances out? The defense has slipped slightly; yes, the FGA% slipped, but "points allowed" barely budged (up less than 1 ppg). OTOH, the offense is considerably more productive; it doesn't balance out, overall the Pistons are better than last year.

And if the Spurs can outscore ANY team at will, then doesn't that mean they can, ummm, BEAT any team at will? I mean, if you outscore the other team, that's pretty much the end of the story, right? You calling for a sweep?

nope. are you??

bdubya
04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
nope. are you??

Hell no. Calling for a 7-game epic. "The Aeneid, the Odyssey, the 2006 Finals, the Iliad...."

FreshPrince22
04-28-2006, 03:04 PM

The D is as good as last year. Especially when they really want a win. What did the Spurs average against the Pistons this year? 69.5ppg or something? It's not as good as 03-04, but that's the hand-check rules. They can still crank it up to a notch defensively that no other team can get touch. They've just been an "on/off" team for the last few years. The difference is that this year they have the offensive firepower that lets them win some games the easy way as opposed to locking down for 48 minutes. That was the difference in wins this year.

The Pistons are defiantely better than last year.

td4mvp21
04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I think, if we even get to the Finals, we need to steal one of the first two games and win at least 2 at home. If we do that, I think we will be fine. If anything besides that happens, except 2-0 on the road and 1-2 at home, I don't think we will win. I do, however, have faith in this team to win Game 7 in Detroit. With TD and Ginobili, I do not think it matters to them where they play. Obviously the Pistons were more frantic about having homecourt advantage against their "finals opponent" (which I think they have us in mind). What does that tell you about them?

FreshPrince22
04-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Obviously the Pistons were more frantic about having homecourt advantage against their "finals opponent" (which I think they have us in mind). What does that tell you about them?

That they want payback?

thewatcher
04-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Spurs do not need TD playing big against Pistons, with TD playing overall decently(specially decent fg% and rebounds) is enough.

KingsFanWithoutName
04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I think it's fair to say that both teams too steps to address what few weaknesses they had last year, which is why this year's final should be just as compelling.The only people who found last year's championship "compelling" were Pistons/Spurs fans. To the rest of the basketball world it was a big :sleep

nkdlunch
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
The only people who found last year's championship "compelling" were Pistons/Spurs fans. To the rest of the basketball world it was a big :sleep

and the Kings in the finals would make it more interesting ? :rolleyes

A finals with the kings would only interest the Kings fans and cowbell afficionados

Oh, and the Mini-Me fan club 'cause of Bibby

bdubya
04-28-2006, 03:54 PM

A finals with the kings would only interest the Kings fans and cowbell afficionados

Oh, and the Mini-Me fan club 'cause of Bibby

Who else?
The Ultimate Fighting Championship fan-base for sure
Possibly the cows themselves, maybe...

RON ARTEST
04-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Who else?
The Ultimate Fighting Championship fan-base for sure
Possibly the cows themselves, maybe...
if you dont think the spurs are boring to watch then your very dumb. but i think your dumb either way so it doesnt matter.

RON ARTEST
04-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Oh, and the Mini-Me fan club 'cause of Bibbyyeah because the spurs are more boring then watching paint dry. if they didnt have manu they would be even more boring which i cant imagine.

bdubya
04-28-2006, 04:02 PM
if you dont think the spurs are boring to watch then your very dumb. but i think your dumb either way so it doesnt matter.

:wtf

You think my very dumb what?? This makes no sense.

Edit: Or did you mean "you're very dumb"?

RON ARTEST
04-28-2006, 04:19 PM
:wtf

You think my very dumb what?? This makes no sense.

Edit: Or did you mean "you're very dumb"?oops i should have said you are very dumb. :lol

Tanya
04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I think it's still 50-50.
The pistons are definitely better than last year. Rip has improved his overall game, he is no longer just a mid-jumper shooter. He is a better defender and 3 point shooter and better passer this year. Sheed has improved his 3 point shot therefore he is comfortable to shoot no matter inside or ourside. Billups has improved his offense because of Flip. Prince is a hard match up for any teams. Dice is considered as our 6th starter. Tony Delk and Hunter can contribute. And we also have Dale Davis: although he hasn't played alot this year, he will help if we need him. The pistons are more balanced and deeper this year than they only focused on defense last year.
The spurs are also better this year. Tony Parker has improved. Ginobili is still amazing when he plays aggressively. Michael Finley and Brent Barry have been playing very well in the last few games.
It will be interesting series. No way it's gonna be done in 5 games.