PDA

View Full Version : Cordero replaced by Otsuka as "Closer"

Solid D
04-28-2006, 02:51 PM
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060427&content_id=1421348&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_150188.jpg

Otsuka replaces Cordero as closer
Japanese reliever takes over for struggling incumbent
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/images/2006/02/16/4nw5uGxU.jpg
Acquired in the offseason from the Padres,
Akinori Otsuka had 137 career saves in Japan. (Charlie Riedel/AP)
Related Links

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have decided to change their closer.
Akinori Otsuka will get a chance to close when the Rangers begin a five-game road trip to Cleveland and Tampa Bay on Friday night.

Francisco Cordero, an All-Star in 2004, has blown five of his first eight save opportunities, and the Rangers have decided to give him a break from closing.

"I'm aware ... everybody here is aware we've had a problem," manager Buck Showalter said after a 6-4 loss to the Oakland Athletics on Wednesday. "It hurts. But guys are rallying around each other and Coco. But at some point you've got to get a return.

"If we want to be a good club and get where we want to go, we have to figure that out."

Otsuka had 137 career saves in Japan and was his country's closer in the World Baseball Classic. Acquired from the Padres in the offseason, he has allowed three runs on five hits in 10 innings for the Rangers, striking out 11.

Cordero is 3-2, but with an 11.70 ERA, and he has set a Major League record for most blown saves (5) in the month of April.

"This is the first time I have ever gone through something like this," Cordero said. "Not even in the Minors. My pitches are there, it's just bad timing."

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Horry For 3!
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
It is about time they changed closers

Solid D
04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
The new lineup of starting pitchers had to be getting restless. They were handing the ball off with leads and Francisco was coming in and summarily wasting their handiwork.

Solid D
05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Okay, so the Rangers are 5-0 since Otsuka closed his first game. He has 3 saves out of those 5 wins and Cordero has been great in support/set-up.

Rangers are one of the hottest teams in baseball right now, winning 14 of the last 19.

Beer is Good
05-04-2006, 05:56 PM
I've been to three games, the first against boston on the 2nd day of the season, and the last was last night. They look like a much more energized team now than they did at the beginning of the season. If they keep it up, they will have a good chance to win the division and be tough come playoff time. I'd love to see a Ranger's Championship!!

Melmart1
05-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I've been to three games, the first against boston on the 2nd day of the season, and the last was last night. They look like a much more energized team now than they did at the beginning of the season. If they keep it up, they will have a good chance to win the division and be tough come playoff time. I'd love to see a Ranger's Championship!!

The Angels seem to be sucking bad, that helps their chances of winning the West. Oakland always comes on strong in 2nd half though... so it won't be easy. I say the wild card comes out of east or central, so they gotta win the division to get into the playoffs. Being in the weakest one in the AL helps a lot.

Is anyone surprised by Koronka?

Horry For 3!
05-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Okay, so the Rangers are 5-0 since Otsuka closed his first game. He has 3 saves out of those 5 wins and Cordero has been great in support/set-up.

Rangers are one of the hottest teams in baseball right now, winning 14 of the last 19.
They're owning the O's right now. 8-0

T Park
05-04-2006, 11:17 PM
very early in the year.

If you remember 2 years ago the Rangers owned that divsion till August, then sputtered.

They still need more starting pitching.

Jason Marquis for Kevin Mench.

Please? :)

Horry For 3!
05-04-2006, 11:40 PM
very early in the year.

If you remember 2 years ago the Rangers owned that divsion till August, then sputtered.

They still need more starting pitching.

Jason Marquis for Kevin Mench.

Please? :)
Jason Marquis :td

Melmart1
05-04-2006, 11:48 PM
That's a sucker deal. Mench is a beast so far this year, all after he figured out that he was wearing the wrong sized shoe :lol The players call him Shrek because he has a big head and couldn't find a batting helmet the right size for it. He also looks a little like him, imho.

Solid D
05-05-2006, 12:57 AM
It's a T Park wacko pipedream. The Rangers are fine for now.
So far:
Pitcher.................ERA
1. Kevin Millwood.......3.52
2. Vincente Padilla.....4.04
3. Kam Loe...............4.15
4. John Karonka.........3.55
5. Robinson Tejeda.....3.60

Closer
Akinori Otsuka........1.98 3 saves, 3 chances

The Cardinals need some work, though. Got swept by the Astros.

Solid D
05-05-2006, 01:14 AM
I forgot middle relief. Some of the better ones:

Rick Bauer...............3.21
Joaquin Benoit..........3.28
Fabio Castro............3.18
Antonio Alfonseca.....4.26
Bryan Shouse...........4.15

Cordero will have to catch up, but he's looking better.

Of course, it's a long season and the Texas heat hasn't set in, yet.
Texas has never had pitching with the exception of some individual stars such as Jim Kern, Ferguson Jenkins, Nolan Ryan, Charlie Hough, Kevin Brown, Kenny Rogers, John Wetteland, but never a widescale staff of solid pitchers. I guess we'll see how it plays out. Too bad Adam Eaton took a setback as the number 2 SP.

Melmart1
05-05-2006, 01:39 AM
The bullpen has been pretty solid so far this season, with the obvious exception of Cordero. Eaton is supposedly out till the AS break, if he can come back and contribute, we will have a true 5-man rotation. Loe has done well, Koronka came out of nowhere and is solid as hell and after early struggles Millwood is coming around. I have cautiously optimistic hope for this team.