PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams, wtf?

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
espn just said that texans have reached an agreement with Mario Williams and will be using their first round choice on him.

I shit you not.

What the Fawk?

Dre_7
04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
New Orleans just got a gift from God!!

Guru of Nothing
04-28-2006, 07:33 PM
This is just stupid. Anyone with half a brain knows Houston should have positioned themselves to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Five dollars says the Jets trade up to get Reggie Bush.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
As long as LenDale goes to the Steelers, and Vince goes to a team that will start him.

timvp
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
WTF would you not trade down to get Mario Williams?

The Texans strike again.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't know enough about NFL to understand your comment.

errrorrrr

weebo
04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Can someone explain to me what the hell the Texans are thinking?

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Yep. Going to be fun tomorrow....
I'm sure that pick is going to make the season ticket office phone ring alot.
WTF.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
What the fuck indeed.

I should have just titled this thread "What The Fawk"

AlamoSpursFan
04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm guessing there's somebody that they want to draft real bad with the first pick in next year's draft...

:lol

Charley Casserly...

http://www.willisms.com/archives/trump.gif

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Here's the deal. Texans shot themselves in the foot. I said on our show a while back that they were courting Reggie only to use this for trade bait, so they could get a good offer from someone else and they would trade the pick, and get a another pick.

But the phone calls never really came because people were convinced that it was Bush and they weren't going to budge.

They opened the Williams door waaayyy to late to let any team put together the right offer.

Just sucks that they announced that before the draft.

Can you imagine if that would have be done live on TV!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
"anyways-it is-missed-and-the trojans are not damaged-by anymore-than the six points"

--Keith Jackson

weebo
04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
If true, this ranks right up there with the Trailblazers bypassing Jordan for Bowie.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
How bout when the pundits were discussing the pros and cons of drafting keith van horn over Tim Duncan?

koopa
04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
this was really stupid, but i'm sure they got him cheaper then they would've bush, and they wanted the player they drafted to be signed before training camp, and bush might have been a little bitch and held out for a little bit.

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Unreal. I don't think it's a bad pick, but .....
Horrible for the box office, horrible for the PR of the team.

Shit, I mean trade down to get D'Brickashaw, and pick up another 2nd rounder.

IF anybody Gives a F^&%.

I'm doing a show on the Ticket on the draft tomorrow live from Fatso's. Stop by.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Is there any chance this is a false report?

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
You know what would be great. If the Texan's leaked a fake story to ESPN that they had signed Williams, and they are really hanging out with Bush's Agent, waiting for teams to call and offer the world.....

Then they come out and trade the pick to that team. That would rock

By the way. Thanks Mom and Dad for fucking up making history as an overall #1

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Serves this kid right. Karma came around on him.
Word is that contract talks broke down.

Good. I mean, if you get drafted, you should come to play, not be a bitch and hold out.

weebo
04-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Unreal. I don't think it's a bad pick, but .....
Horrible for the box office, horrible for the PR of the team.

Shit, I mean trade down to get D'Brickashaw, and pick up another 2nd rounder.

IF anybody Gives a F^&%.

I'm doing a show on the Ticket on the draft tomorrow live from Fatso's. Stop by.

Agreed.
The Texans were better off trading down for more picks. If defense is what they want to build, they'll need more than a Mario Williams.

Pistons < Spurs
04-28-2006, 08:08 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5552412?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=23

Texans, Williams agree to contract

In what has wound up as a stunning turn of events, the Houston Texans have agreed to terms with Mario Williams and will make the N.C. State defensive end the No. 1 pick in Saturday's draft.

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer is reporting that it is a five-year with an option for a sixth worth $54 million that could go well over $60 million provided that Williams performs at a certain level. Another fact to consider is that the state of Texas has no state income tax, which drives the actual value of the deal even higher.

The deal has not yet been signed. Williams' agents are examining the actual contract and taking a detailed look at its language.

FOXSports.com also first reported late Friday afternoon that the Texans had told Williams' representatives that he was their choice, and that negotiations with the two sides had intensified.

Williams' signing marks the second time that the Texans have had their first-round pick signed before the draft. QB David Carr agreed to a contract prior to becoming the Texans' first-ever draft choice in 2002. The Texans felt that agreeing to terms with the top pick was important in order to ensure that the player will begin training camp along with the rest of the team.

The Texans have spent their past four first round draft picks on the defensive side of the ball. Defensive tackle Travis Johnson was the 16th overall selection in 2005, and cornerback Dunta Robinson and linebacker Jason Babin were taken with the 10th and 27th in the 2004 draft.

Williams becomes the first N.C. State player to be taken with the first pick in the NFL draft.

In three seasons for the Wolfpack, Williams started 34 of 36 games. He totaled 175 tackles, 55.5 tackles for loss and 26.5 sacks. His 2005 season will go down as one of the greatest in N.C. State history by a defensive end. He set school records in sacks, with 14.5, and tackles for loss, with 27.5. Williams' sack total ranked fourth nationally and he finished second in tackles for loss.

-------------------------------------------------------

I think they'll be better off w/ Williams. IMO Bush will never live up to all the hype. I don't think his game will translate well into the NFL.

I've also heard that the Texans may try to move up into a late 1st round pick to get another running back.

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 08:12 PM
I F'n love this.

How about Green Bay moving up to get the #2 Pick with Bush.
They need a playmaker., Would be a great boost for a bad PR nightmare in Favre's last season.....

koopa
04-28-2006, 08:15 PM
got this from espn

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams to a six-year, $54 million deal, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft Saturday.

Of the $54 million, Williams is guaranteed $26.5 million.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken.

The choice of Williams by the Texans could dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.

The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Green Bay to #2
Javon Walker to Denver
Saints get GB #5 and Denver's 2nd Round Pick

fyatuk
04-28-2006, 08:18 PM
espn just said that texans have reached an agreement with Mario Williams and will be using their first round choice on him.

I shit you not.

What the Fawk?

I've been saying (not here since I'm new here) for months the Texans wouldn't draft Bush. They must have fallen in love with Williams since I don't see why they wouldn't wait to see trade options through the last moment except that NO is widely rumored to have wanted Williams...

I was expecting a trade down and trying to get Brick or another of the top DL.

ShoogarBear
04-28-2006, 08:21 PM

The Texans strike again.
Exactly. They could have gotten somebody else for free if they wanted him.

fyatuk
04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
New Orleans just got a gift from God!!

Yup, 2 first rounders this year and a 3rd or 4th next year from SF ;)

ducks
04-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I am glad bush is not the first pick
he does not obey the rules

Guru of Nothing
04-28-2006, 08:25 PM
If memory serves, the Texans passed on Julius Peppers for David Carr.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Guru of Nothing
04-28-2006, 08:31 PM
In defense of the Texan's FO, a $30 million signing bonus for The Grubber represents VERY HIGH risk.

ducks
04-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I think they should have traded carr and got lots of picks for him
then got young
BIG PR move
with other draft picks they could help their line

but what do I know

ShoogarBear
04-28-2006, 08:39 PM
In defense of the Texan's FO, a $30 million signing bonus for The Grubber represents VERY HIGH risk.
Nobody's necessarily saying don't sign Williams. They're saying get another freaking pick and still sign him.

Dre_7
04-28-2006, 08:42 PM
RB get shut down in the NFL.....bank it.

Wanna bet?

UtownSpur
04-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Unf'n real. WOW. Casserley is driving this franchise into the ground! All i know is that Willams better be the 2nd coming of Reggie White for Casserley's sake. Hard to swallow as a faithful Texan fan.

scott
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
There is a reason they are the worst team in the NFL.

I love this talk of Reggie Bush being a hold-out before he is even drafted... what a crock of shit.

Guru of Nothing
04-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Nobody's necessarily saying don't sign Williams. They're saying get another freaking pick and still sign him.

Concur, but D'Brick makes so much more sense.

I think Houston lacked realistic options to trade out of #1 (it's too easy for the other 31 teams act like hyenas).

Guru of Nothing
04-28-2006, 08:59 PM
There is a reason they are the worst team in the NFL.

I love this talk of Reggie Bush being a hold-out before he is even drafted... what a crock of shit.

Question:

Did Reggie Bush lose money by not agreeing to terms with the Texans? If so, how much?

Actually, Reggie Bush will end up a Jet and make MANY, MANY more millions.

The light bulb is flickering!

scott
04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Either an NY Jet or an LA Saint... And the Franklins Come Marching In...

A-Train
04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Retarded. Most Texans fans wanted VY, Williams or D'Brick. So they got what they wanted.

Full Court Pressure
04-28-2006, 10:41 PM
As a Cincinnati Bengals fan who had to suffer through the terrible picks of the 90s, I really feel for the Houston fans that have to endure this stupidity. At least trade down and get some compensation instead of just letting N.O. have the best player for free. N.O. has got to be really happy right now... bet the phone has been ringing off the hook...

IceColdBrewski
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Two of the rumors I've read.

1) Bush was looking for 25% more than what Alex Smith signed for last year.

2) Bush does NOT want to play for the Saints.

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 11:01 PM
When Leinart was still repped by Leigh Steinberg, it was made known to Steinberg that New Orleans would not be a option for Matt to play for.

A La Manning with San Diego

IceColdBrewski
04-28-2006, 11:01 PM
ESPN reporting that 5 teams are now interested in #2

49ers, Jets, Raiders, Packers, and Cardinals.

Saints are holding a Royal Flush right now.

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Going to be the Packers or Jets

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
My bet, PAckers

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
that's so fuckin awesome

I hope Bush ends up on the shittiest team possible

IceColdBrewski
04-28-2006, 11:11 PM
My bet, PAckers

I'm guessing Jets. Saints swap picks with the Jets, still get the they want (AJ Hawk accoding to most rumors) and pick up NY's #29 pick as well.

Full Court Pressure
04-28-2006, 11:14 PM
The 49ers have something like 10 picks in this draft. They could trade some of those picks to move up and still have a good number of picks left over. I know popular opinion says it's the Packers and Jets, but I just have a feeling that the 49ers will be in the mix and I won't be surprised to see the 49ers land Reggie tomorrow.

Extra Stout
04-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey San Antonio, would y'all like to take the Texans off our hands? Maybe we can use Reliant Stadium for that soccer team we just got. And there's always the rodeo.

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Too bad the Commish didn't have a handle on this thing.
What great TV it would have been, if the Texans had to keep in under wraps until draft day.

I firmly believe that if the Jets don't trade up and take Bush or draft Leinart, they will riot live in NYC

IceColdBrewski
04-28-2006, 11:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Peter King at SI, it's unlikely that the Saints will shop Bush around to trade down and acquire more picks.

General Manager Mickey Loomis, from his bunker at Saints' headquarters just after 10 p.m. EST, said he didn't think he would accept any offers for USC superstar running back Reggie Bush prior to Saturday's noon start of the 71st NFL draft.

"He [Bush] is the No. 1 player on our board," Loomis said during a break in staff meetings at the Saints' facility. "He's the No. 1 player on a lot of teams' boards. To be truthful, I don't expect us to be moving the pick.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ush/index.html

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm guessing Jets. Saints swap picks with the Jets, still get the they want (AJ Hawk accoding to most rumors) and pick up NY's #29 pick as well.

I don't see the Jets spending both #1's on Bush. Too much talent in the 1st round. Just my thoughts.

The Saints would have to give up a 2nd round pick.

Should be interesting tomorrow....

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 11:35 PM
I believe that both Leinart and Bush have both had words with their respective agent about not going to New Orleans. I know for a fact the Leinart did.

IceColdBrewski
04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Poor Texans fans. They were gonna go to bed tonight with the anticipation of a child on Christmas eve. Now the suprise is ruined, and they're not even getting the present that they wanted.

Horry For 3!
04-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Mario Williams :lol

He could be another Julius Peppers.....better or the same, no one knows.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2006, 12:28 AM
With Kubiak's zone blocking scheme from Denver in Houston, Reggie Bush could have been sick and taken it to the house on any play.

The Texans are fucking idiots.

Pistons < Spurs
04-29-2006, 12:30 AM
IMO they absolutely made the right decision.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Guys, I really really still can't even fully absorb the stupidity of this decision.

This is sheer insanity...the definition....it will be one of the biggest sports blunders of all time, i swear...

PeterBurns
04-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Guys, I really really still can't even fully absorb the stupidity of this decision.

This is sheer insanity...the definition....it will be one of the biggest sports blunders of all time, i swear...

But is Bush a 20+ touch guy? I'm not sure.
Noone will know.

I think they made the right choice, but what baffles me is that they didn't get anything for him

Slinkyman
04-29-2006, 12:52 AM
I can't blame the texans for not drafting Bush, but to pass on hometown hero Vince Young and Reggie Bush is beyond words. i hope they texans NEVER make the playoffs POS franchise.

Horry For 3!
04-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Good thing I am not a Texans fan or i'd be pissed off :lol

PeterBurns
Great move for the Texans.

Not only do they save money by not paying the ransom for Bush.
But they also don't have to worry about paying all those workers in the Ticket Box Office either.

At $8hr, this move is BRILLIANT!!!!

Horry For 3!
Now I just have to hope the Titans (my 2nd fav team besides the Cowboys) picks Vince Young and not Matt Leinart.

Horry For 3!
04-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Mario Williams says to Texans fans, "I am going to bring it, I am going to give you entertainment and make the team better"

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Even if he got 1 sack a game, and led his team in tackles he'd still be a dissapointment by comparison

Horry For 3!
04-29-2006, 01:34 AM
I still think Vince Young if not Reggie Bush should of went to the Texans.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2006, 01:36 AM
This is going to go down as the gridiron version of picking Bowie over Jordan. Book it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2006, 01:37 AM
BTW, :lol at all the "houston shoulda picked up a backup to David Carr with the #1 pick" folks on this. Vince Young would have been a dumber pick for Houston than Mario Williams.

Horry For 3!
04-29-2006, 01:43 AM
BTW, :lol at all the "houston shoulda picked up a backup to David Carr with the #1 pick" folks on this. Vince Young would have been a dumber pick for Houston than Mario Williams.
They could of traded Carr actually but I guess they wouldn't do that since he was their #1 pick.

It still would have been nice to see Vince back in his home town. Plus it would mean lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the Texans. Now they will have $.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-29-2006, 02:14 AM
IMO they absolutely made the right decision.

Laughable. Dude wasn't even voted the defensive MVP on his own team...

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2006, 02:24 AM
how come nfl rookies get paid more than nba rookies?

SA Gunslinger
04-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Even if he got 1 sack a game, and led his team in tackles he'd still be a dissapointment by comparison

Actually, if he leads the Texans in tackles as a defensive end, I think that would make people forget Bush.

But passing on Bush is absolutely stupid. The only reason he didn't gain 2,500 yards rushing and 30 touchdowns is because he split carries with Lendale White.

If I was the Jets, I offer both first round picks and move up and snag Bush.

gtownspur
04-29-2006, 10:31 AM
RB's do not carry teams to superbowls. Strong D's do.

And don't even make a case for BEttis, that is retarded.

ducks
04-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Two of the rumors I've read.

1) Bush was looking for 25% more than what Alex Smith signed for last year.

2) Bush does NOT want to play for the Saints.

now he has a attitude I am to good for the saints
that is nice he cheats and has a attitide
he needs a spanking

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Good thing I am not a Texans fan or i'd be pissed off

I'm not even a Texans fan and it pisses me off. :lol It makes our state look like idiots.

RB's do not carry teams to superbowls. Strong D's do.

And one DE obviously = strong D. :rolleyes

Extra Stout
04-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Great move for the Texans.

Not only do they save money by not paying the ransom for Bush.
But they also don't have to worry about paying all those workers in the Ticket Box Office either.

At $8hr, this move is BRILLIANT!!!!
They also save money on the custodial crew, because if there aren't any fans in the stands, there's nothing to clean up.

ShoogarBear
04-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Casserly's entire career will now come down to this one thing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2006, 11:40 AM
: Mario Williams, wtf?
Casserly's entire career will now come down to this one thing.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Isiah Thomas of the NFL...

Extra Stout
04-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Isiah Thomas of the NFL...
McNair made this decision, not Casserly.

GrandeDavid
04-29-2006, 11:57 AM

The Texans strike again.

The Texans have officially assumed the Bengals hateable losers role of the 90s for this decade. Splendid. Fucking Texans. And I try so hard to be a loyal fan.

ShoogarBear
04-29-2006, 12:01 PM
McNair made this decision, not Casserly.Really? I hadn't heard that.

Anyway, what I originally menat was the Casserly's had a pretty decent reputation, but the Texan years haven't been great, and if Bush and D'Brickashaw are All-Pros and Mario isn't, that's all they'll ever remember about him.

GrandeDavid
04-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Fuck, I'd rather the Texans have taken D'Brick over Mario Williams! What a fuck up franchise the Texans are! :(

Extra Stout
04-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Really? I hadn't heard that.

Anyway, what I originally menat was the Casserly's had a pretty decent reputation, but the Texan years haven't been great, and if Bush and D'Brickashaw are All-Pros and Mario isn't, that's all they'll ever remember about him.
Casserly has a horrible reputation. McNair should have fired him already, but McNair is a dolt.

Extra Stout
04-29-2006, 12:22 PM
The Texans have officially assumed the Bengals hateable losers role of the 90s for this decade. Splendid. Fucking Texans. And I try so hard to be a loyal fan.
They've only been around four years. The roots aren't that deep. Fuck 'em. Maybe SA will get a team and we can root for them.

A-Train
04-30-2006, 09:31 AM
I would've gone with Bush as well and think it was a poor decision, but the team's offense will be significantly improved without him. The coaching change plus free agency seems to have been ignored by most prognosticators. Their picks in round 3 should have some immediate impact in improving that line. The maddening thing will be to see their offense next season putting up some nice numbers and Bush tearing it up in the bayou, then thinking about what could've been.

At some point they did need to improve their pass rush, especially in their division. If Williams blows up and meets or surpasses Peppers' production and the Texans end up with a great offense and defense, then the selection will look like a smart one, or at least not as bad as it looks now.

I think the doom and gloom is a bit overdone at this point and I wanted them to take Bush and am in still a bit of shock at what they did. Time will tell if this was the wisest course to take.