PDA

View Full Version : The series ramifications of Game3 (not many)

GrandeDavid
04-29-2006, 07:47 AM
First of all, sadly, I am in Brazil at the moment and the game was not televized down here...oh, but the Cavs game was. Terrific.

The good news for me is that I'm back in San Antonio early Tuesday and will watch the Spurs eliminate 8th seeded Sacramento live at the AT&T Center. Maybe I'll run into Parker's Dad at halftime again and have another beer with him.

Now, what impact will Game3 have on the series and the Spurs? Well, it extends the series one game and will have zero negative impact on perhaps the most professional, disciplined, championship caliber sports team in the world. No, the Spurs will find a way to turn it into a positive going into Game4. Honestly? I'm not even really upset by the loss. For about five minutes I was, but now I'm over it. The Spurs have proven time and again that they overcome self-destructive obstacles.

Anyway, first and foremost I want to vent frustration at Manu Ginobili, but I'm gonna temper it and contain myself (can't say the same about how I'm about to crack the Texans over their draft choice), for the value Manu has shown this franchise over the years. Every stud player has the right to cough up a choker once or twice in their career. In reading the box score, Manu was awful.

But what I love about Manu and what makes him one of my favorite athletes on the planet is that he OWNS his mistakes. Here's a post-game quote:

"We had the game in our hands," Manu Ginobili said, "and I let it go."

And another:

"I just got hit and lost it," he said. "It's the worst turnover of my career."

So Manu is not hiding from anything. He will be ready Game4.

Getting off of Manu's back, this was a game that Sacramento HAD to have. I'm honestly surprised the Spurs played them that close. Now, I will be surprised if the Spurs lose Game4. I can understand them losing two in Detroit (almost three) in last year's championship, but this ain't Detroit. And the Spurs are now accustomed to playing playoff basketball at Arco Arena.

On a positive note, Tim looked nice. I think he's gonna be a serious problem for Sacramento the rest of the series and the Spurs will close this out in San Antonio in five games.

Another positive note: Tony seemed to turn it up late in the 4th a bit, at least he hit a couple of late big free throws, as did Tim. And, really, he and Manu can only play better on Sunday.

Finally, in all the Spurs' championship roads, they always lose one early game in the first round. Some examples: in 03 against Phoenix, it was Marbury's lucky runner at the buzzer in San Antonio. Remember, San Antonio would lose another game in that series...then in 05 the Spurs looked outmatched late in Game1 against Denver. I think that this loss will also be a wake up call of sorts.

One thing is for sure, and also another positive note, and that is that Manu Ginobili seems to have gotten his monumental career playoff botch out of his system.

Go Spurs in five.