PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Jordan is a loser, but WTF?

Obstructed_View
04-29-2006, 09:12 PM
I saw this and thought the last paragraph was particularly interesting, as I don't recall having heard Larry Brown or Pop complaining about officials, much less blaming a loss on them outright. Hey, Jordan: Teach your team how to play defense.

This is from AP

WASHINGTON -- As far as the Washington Wizards are concerned, LeBron James' first NBA playoff game-winning shot came with an assist -- from the officials.

And, Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said Saturday, what he thinks should have been a traveling call is part of a pattern of James getting protection from referees. He said that's the type of help Washington's own All-Star, Gilbert Arenas, isn't receiving in the first-round Eastern Conference series that Cleveland leads 2-1.

"I'm not going to get fined for saying what's obvious. Everybody sees it," Jordan said after practice ahead of Sunday's Game 4 against the Cavaliers.

"I want to give all the credit to Cleveland, [coach] Mike Brown and his staff and their players, but the truth is the truth. I want our players to understand that we did a lot of things to win the game, and because a travel wasn't called, you don't win the game."

James finished off his franchise playoff-record 41-point performance Friday night by banking in a 4-footer with 5.7 seconds left after moving past Antonio Daniels and drawing contact from Michael Ruffin.

That shot provided the final margin as Cleveland beat Washington 97-96 to reclaim home-court advantage in the best-of-seven series.

"Officials are human, and they see a great move by a great player ... or they see a hop-through move that's a travel, and they say, 'That's a great move by a great player, and it's an exciting move. It's a great finish. We'll let it go.' That's how I look at it," Jordan said.

"Clearly," he continued, "Gil doesn't get the calls that LeBron gets."

Arenas, who missed an open 3-pointer after James' shot, said all he could think about after the game was what he felt James got away with.

"You look at the game tape, you actually see the travel, and then he came down and then he threw the ball up," Arenas said. "That's how they've got to beat us. We feel we're not going to get beat straight up."

Not surprisingly, James said he didn't take too many steps on the play. Asked about it Saturday, he analyzed what happened with the same matter-of-fact demeanor that's made him a superstar at the ripe old age of 21.

"It was a basic up-and-under move ... all big men do in this league. Not too many guards or forwards. That's why a lot of people think I travel," James said.

"I've not seen the play yet, but it doesn't come down to one play," he added. "The game is not won or lost on one play."

Told of Jordan's comments about the officiating, Brown smiled and pulled out a stat sheet.

Then the first-year coach began rattling off various comparisons, noting that Arenas and James have taken the same number of free throws in the series (35), that the Cavaliers have been whistled for nine more fouls than the Wizards, and that Washington has taken 20 more free throws so far.

"Eddie's doing what he needs to do as a coach, by trying to draw attention to LeBron because of the success that LeBron has had so far," Brown said.

Then he wondered aloud whether Ruffin should have been called for a foul on that key play.

And he wondered whether Arenas got a favorable ruling when James was called for a blocking foul on the point guard's three-point play that put the hosts ahead 96-95 with 23.4 seconds left.

"Sometimes you get calls, sometimes you don't," Brown said. "They're both great players."

Jordan's complaint is not a new one, of course.

For years, coaches of teams that faced certain stars -- Michael Jordan comes to mind -- have griped about special treatment from the refs, particularly in the playoffs.

"If the Pat Rileys and the [Gregg] Popoviches and ... the Phil Jacksons and the Larry Browns can say what I'm saying, then that's what I'm saying," Jordan said. "I'm going to stand up for my team."

dieman8686
04-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I just agree with Jordan though, I was watching that game and I saw him jump, come back down and jump again, and was really suprised he didn't get a travel. I really didn't care who won, but when I see stuff like that, it just makes me hate the refs at times, plus history adds to it.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2006, 09:25 PM
I just agree with Jordan though, I was watching that game and I saw him jump, come back down and jump again, and was really suprised he didn't get a travel. I really didn't care who won, but when I see stuff like that, it just makes me hate the refs at times, plus history adds to it.
I was watching that game, too, and it wasn't an obvious travel to me at the time, nor was in an obvious foul. That isn't really the point I was trying to make. Eddie Jordan is crying about the game and throws Pop and Larry in there as though they complain about the calls they don't get.

nkdlunch
04-29-2006, 09:25 PM
NBA wants Lebron to beat Wizards and advance, its a business move. Jordan is standing up for his team.

Marklar MM
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
I saw this and thought the last paragraph was particularly interesting, as I don't recall having heard Larry Brown or Pop complaining about officials.

1/29/05
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Det) $35,000 for criticizing the refs following
Monday's Min-Det game.

12/23/04
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Det) $15,000 for verbally abusing a ref
following Wednesday's Chi-Det game.

5/11/04
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Det) $7,500 for criticizing the refs on Monday.

3/11/03
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Phi) $7,500 and fined Allen Iverson (Phi) $7,500
for criticizing a ref following Sunday's Phi-LAL game.

4/1/02
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Phi) $10,000 for publically criticizing the
refs following Saturday's Phi-NJ game.

12/31/01
The NBA fined coach Larry Brown (Phi) $7,500 for criticizing the refs
following Saturday's Phi-Uta game.

3/27/98
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Phi) $6,000, fined Derrick Coleman $6,000, and
fined Allen Iverson (Phi) $3,000 for publically criticizing the refs after
Wednesday's Phi-NJ game.

11/18/96
The NBA fined Reggie Miller (Ind) $10,000 and Larry Brown (Ind coach)
$5,000 for comments they made about the refs following Thursday's Ind-Hou
game.

11/10/95
The NBA fined Larry Brown (coach Ind) $11,000 and suspended him for 1 game
for verbally abusing the refs and refusing to leave the court in a timely
manner. Indiana was also fined $50,000 for Brown's actions.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2006, 11:08 PM
1/29/05
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Det) $35,000 for criticizing the refs following
Monday's Min-Det game.

12/23/04
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Det) $15,000 for verbally abusing a ref
following Wednesday's Chi-Det game.

5/11/04
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Det) $7,500 for criticizing the refs on Monday.

3/11/03
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Phi) $7,500 and fined Allen Iverson (Phi) $7,500
for criticizing a ref following Sunday's Phi-LAL game.

4/1/02
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Phi) $10,000 for publically criticizing the
refs following Saturday's Phi-NJ game.

12/31/01
The NBA fined coach Larry Brown (Phi) $7,500 for criticizing the refs
following Saturday's Phi-Uta game.

3/27/98
The NBA fined Larry Brown (Phi) $6,000, fined Derrick Coleman $6,000, and
fined Allen Iverson (Phi) $3,000 for publically criticizing the refs after
Wednesday's Phi-NJ game.

11/18/96
The NBA fined Reggie Miller (Ind) $10,000 and Larry Brown (Ind coach)
$5,000 for comments they made about the refs following Thursday's Ind-Hou
game.

11/10/95
The NBA fined Larry Brown (coach Ind) $11,000 and suspended him for 1 game
for verbally abusing the refs and refusing to leave the court in a timely
manner. Indiana was also fined $50,000 for Brown's actions.

LOL. Ya got me. I was mainly talking about Pop and was trying not to sound like a homer. I don't usually pay attention to Larry Brown. Since I'm so wrong about LB, does Pop bad mouth the officiating and I just never noticed?

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2006, 12:12 AM
i rememer in game 2 spurs v queens, parker did the skip/jump shit into the lane and stop, was called for a travel.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2006, 12:29 AM
LOL. Ya got me. I was mainly talking about Pop and was trying not to sound like a homer. I don't usually pay attention to Larry Brown. Since I'm so wrong about LB, does Pop bad mouth the officiating and I just never noticed?

No Pop never complains about the officials after a game. He's very against that kind of stuff.

TDfan2007
04-30-2006, 02:11 AM
I was watching that game, too, and it wasn't an obvious travel to me at the time, nor was in an obvious foul. That isn't really the point I was trying to make. Eddie Jordan is crying about the game and throws Pop and Larry in there as though they complain about the calls they don't get.

That was a blatently obvious travel. He got fouled sure, but the travel came first. Lebron knows he traveled, that's why he pulled the "last shot doesn't determine the outcome of the game" card.

The refs call that every time on Tony when he travels like that so why don't they call it on Lebron? Hmmmm.

ducks
04-30-2006, 03:12 PM
james traveled and it was so easy to tell
you have to call it eventhat late in the game
wizzards fans have a right to complain

james is only as good as the refs let him be