PDA

View Full Version : Manu faces himself, which is the strategy

Kori Ellis
04-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Manu faces himself, which is the strategy

Web Posted: 04/30/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA043006.1C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.8199d72.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Wizards lost Friday, as the Spurs did, with one variation. Their coach had a theory.

Eddie Jordan thought LeBron James traveled on a last-second basket, and that the refs chose to ignore the violation because, well, they love LeBron.

"I'm going to stand up for my team," Jordan told the media there. "If the Pat Rileys and the (Gregg) Popoviches can say what I'm saying, then that's what I'm saying."

Sounds reasonable — except the Popoviches don't say what Jordan is saying. Popovich works the officials during a game, and Tim Duncan often works them too much. But blame the refs afterward?

The Spurs don't, and they didn't after Game 3. It's a strategy unto itself, built on taking responsibility, and it will be tested again tonight.

Then Manu Ginobili returns having admitted that everything was his fault.

Ginobili will get few arguments. He committed seven turnovers, and afterward he said the last one was the worst of his career.

It may not have even been the worst of this game. One Ginobili pass came on an inbounds play that Kevin Martin took the other way, a sign of things to come. Another Ginobili pass ended up closer to the Maloof brothers than his Spurs brothers.

The last play, however, came with some help. Ginobili drove with Ron Artest already picked off by Duncan, and then Mike Bibby reached in. "The Kings guard definitely got some of the ball," read a story in the Sacramento newspaper, "but appeared to get a large portion of Ginobili's arm as well."

Reporters asked Ginobili after the game if he had been fouled, and he said he didn't know. "Players always think they get fouled."

Players always do, but they don't always blame themselves. Ginobili did, and he repeated it again Saturday. "I don't even know how to say it," Ginobili said. "It was awful."

He tried to forget Friday night by watching a movie in his room. He said he got some sleep, but as soon as he woke he thought about the play. "It's hard to swallow, but I have to get over it."

Others take an easier route. Shaquille O'Neal will pay $25,000 for saying last week a ref doesn't like him, and that official must have been really mean. Shaq had only one basket in the first three quarters.

Shaq learned from Phil Jackson, who can't go through a series without critiquing a crew, but it's a league-wide approach. No one is better known for this, coincidentally, than Sacramento's Rick Adelman.

His sideline demeanor is one of permanent astonishment. He seems to coach the officials, not his players, and this tone undercut the Kings in the 2002 Western Conference finals against the Lakers. After losing Game 7 he was still complaining about Game 6.

Adelman hasn't been over the top in this series. But after Game 2, after saying all the right things, Adelman couldn't help himself.

Duncan's pick on Bibby that freed Brent Barry? "I wasn't going to say anything, but it was illegal," Adelman told reporters. "That's supposed to be illegal."

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But what's the point of complaining?

Under Popovich, the Spurs wonder, and there's likely some psychology behind this. Go through the proper channels — stay out of the newspapers — and perhaps word spreads among the officials.

But there's something else, and it was in play earlier this season in Seattle. Then Robert Horry grabbed a loose ball near a sideline with a Sonic close behind him. Feeling a nudge, Horry fell out of bounds — then yelled when he didn't get the call.

Afterward Horry admitted that, yes, he had been stupid. Why not call time and remove officiating from the equation?

Popovich preaches this, and he lives by it. He thinks those who give excuses are looking for them, and he thinks the next step is giving in. That's why he also sees the last three minutes of Friday night like this: The refs were letting the two teams play.

Calls could have gone both ways. So when Ginobili did the one thing he couldn't do — when he gave Bibby a perfect chance to gamble with a hard steal — he had no one to blame but himself.

Accountable, feeling awful but free of pity, Ginobili will see if he can do better tonight.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Spurs must move on to advance

Web Posted: 04/30/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA043006.1C.BKNspurs.kings.8199dbc.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — By the time the Spurs gathered Saturday morning, Tony Parker had seen Kevin Martin's shot nearly a dozen times.

Manu Ginobili's drive. Mike Bibby's steal and crosscourt pass. Martin twisting around Tim Duncan to release his shot.

Everyone looking up, helplessly, as the ball took four soft bounces around the rim before falling through the net.

"I still couldn't believe it," Parker said.

As hard a time as the Spurs had comprehending their Game 3 loss to Sacramento, they have to accept it. Fretting about what happened Friday isn't going to help them when they return to Arco Arena tonight with a 2-1 lead in the first-round series.

"A loss is a loss; a win is a win," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You go on to the next one. There's no time to give them any more meaning than that."

When the Spurs met to watch film in a conference room at their downtown hotel, Popovich showed the team's final possession only once. He mentioned how the Spurs didn't space the floor well. He pointed out that Ginobili rushed his drive. He second-guessed himself for not using another timeout and switching sets.

And then he moved on.

"You can't say much about it," Ginobili said. "He all knew we had played it in our heads many times."

Perhaps no one more so than Ginobili. Ginobili's turnover created Martin's winning shot, and Parker said he never had seen his backcourt partner so upset as he was after the game. Ginobili ranted long and loud at himself in the locker room — "He was talking Spanish," Parker said, "and I didn't understand it at all" — and Duncan was concerned enough to dispatch Fabricio Oberto to check on him.

Unlike Parker, Ginobili didn't turn on any highlight shows after returning to the hotel Friday, choosing instead to watch an Argentine movie before falling asleep.

"I'm still very upset," he said. "I feel like I let my teammates down. But I guess that it happens to everybody once or twice."

Ginobili has missed his share of game-winning shots, but never does he remember committing so costly a mistake in such a big game. Not in Argentina, Italy or the NBA.

"I should have thrown the ball in the air — anything," Ginobili said. "But to make a turnover on the top of the key ..."

The turnover was Ginobili's seventh, one fewer than his point total. He said he played "kind of soft" and vowed to be more aggressive tonight.

"He was very mad at himself; I understand that," Parker said. "But we did not lose the game because of him."

Parker knows that because he also contributed greatly to the loss. He made only 4 of 13 shots and watched from the bench as Beno Udrih paced the team's second-half comeback.

Not since the second quarter of Game 1 has Parker made a shot longer than 8 feet. That wouldn't be a problem if he could get to the rim, but the Kings are playing under the Spurs' pick-and-rolls and daring him to beat them from perimeter.

The Spurs have seen this before. In each of the previous four years, Parker struggled in the playoffs after opponents packed the lane against him. So far, despite the improvement he made in the regular season, this year hasn't been any different.

"I'm planning to come back strong tomorrow and take my shots if they're open," Parker said. "I've been working hard with (shooting coach) Chip (Engelland) all season long. It's been working great for me, so I'm going to try to do the same thing."

The Spurs' guards also are going to have to refocus their efforts on keeping Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest off the boards. Thanks largely to Duncan's help-side defense, the Spurs did a better job of double-teaming Wells and Artest on Friday, but the two still combined for 26 rebounds.

In the past two games, Wells has 15 offensive rebounds.

"We've done a little bit of everything," Popovich said, "and nothing's worked."

The Spurs' first priority is to put Friday's loss behind them. The core of the team was around when Stephon Marbury banked in a 3-pointer to beat them in the opening game of the 2003 playoffs. A year later, Derek Fisher haunted them with his famous 0.4 shot.

If the Spurs want another lesson in how to respond, they need only look across the court tonight. On Tuesday, the Kings watched Brent Barry bounce in a 3-pointer to steal a game they thought they had won. Three nights later, Sacramento used its frustration as motivation.

"Hopefully," Ginobili said, "it will do the same for us."

T Park
04-30-2006, 12:46 AM
He second-guessed himself for not using another timeout and switching sets.

I guess the people that say pop never takes accountability can't say much after this....

He said he played "kind of soft" and vowed to be more aggressive tonight.

Oh shit.

Ginobili's pissed.

This shit is on now.....

Leetonidas
04-30-2006, 12:53 AM
I feel bad for Manu. He's blaming a lot on himself. His turnover certainly distracts from the way Nazr, Tony, and other played.

dn0
04-30-2006, 12:53 AM
A couple of things could happen with manu this next game:

1. He scores 30+ on artest
2. He gets ejected (breaks artests nose, something like that)

he's so pissed it's not funny.

E20
04-30-2006, 12:56 AM
I can't see Manu mad, he seems too much of a nice guy to be pissed.

Vashner
04-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Just needs to relax. It's only 1st round. It's gonna be a long hot early summer...

Wasting time and energy on the past other than tactical analysis would be a waste.

Watch the tape. Work some moves and be done with it. The force will return to Manu.

cs100
04-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Manu's anger comes out in his determination, persistence, heart and follow through. He won't throw silly tantrums to draw technicals or get ejected. He is too smart for that. I would be scared of Manu come Sunday night. He will be everywhere on the court. He will not give up.

Then, hopefully, he will be able to sleep at night. :D

gospursgojas
04-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Manu pissed, so he will dominate, and the spurs know what can happen if they dwell on a lucky shot (see .4), so the Spurs should be focused and poise to take control of this series in game 4.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-30-2006, 02:22 AM
You know what I really like about this, and what the article doesn't even notice - our players TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS. It would have been easy for Manu to say "yeah, he caught a bit of my arm, but that's basketball", which would have been a cop out. He didn't say that though, he said "It's on me". In a world mad with people trying to blame others for what is usually their own fault, Manu, and all our guys, never shirk their responsibility for their own actions.

I know a lot of players from other teams do this too, and props to them, but there are also a lot of selfish, irresponsible types out there. Read the recent interview with Darius Miles some time (how deluded is that guy?). However, our franchise is built on bedrock principles that are evident in the way it conducts itself. A pity the world can't take the Spurs' example.

The Miles interview (scroll down to find it):

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersoregonian/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_blazersbeat/archives/2006_04.html

As Bill Simmons said, high on the unintentional comedy factor. Also, very sad that he is so deluded he can't see that he causes his own problems (because he fails to take resp. for his actions...)

Cant_Be_Faded
04-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Manu just needs to rebound and not turn it over

Sacramental
04-30-2006, 02:38 AM
you know the spurs have pressure on them. i can see them thinkin at night - man these guys god some damn good players out there. I'm proud of the kings, challenging the impossible and so far, doing a good job. they should be up 2-1, but it's just another challenge for a team most used to them.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8584/eva0ip.gif

J.T.
04-30-2006, 03:06 AM
you know the spurs have pressure on them. i can see them thinkin at night - man these guys god some damn good players out there. I'm proud of the kings, challenging the impossible and so far, doing a good job. they should be up 2-1, but it's just another challenge for a team most used to them.

They are probably thinking more about how they're going to give your team a repeat performance of Game 1 today. No one beats the Spurs like that and lives to see the light of another series. Just ask Detroit.

polandprzem
04-30-2006, 03:20 AM

Me three ;)

:lmao

SANANTOJAMES
04-30-2006, 03:25 AM
[QUOTE]No one beats the Spurs like that and lives to see the light of another series. Just ask Detroit.

hell yeah

SANANTOJAMES
04-30-2006, 03:26 AM
[QUOTE]No one beats the Spurs like that and lives to see the light of another series. Just ask Detroit.

hell yeah

timvp
04-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Manu is slowly morphing into a modern day Avery Johnson. This team needs that leader who will put the burden of winning on his shoulders and won't back down from pressure.

Manu looks more and more like that guy.

:smokin

RON ARTEST
04-30-2006, 04:07 AM
A couple of things could happen with manu this next game:

1. He scores 30+ on artest
2. He gets ejected (breaks artests nose, something like that)

he's so pissed it's not funny. :lol . 30+ on Artest? i doubt it very seriously. he will probably have a good game but lets not get carried away.

RON ARTEST
04-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Me three ;)

me four. :lol i wish. :depressed

themvp
04-30-2006, 04:12 AM

:lol :lmao :lmao

Kamnik
04-30-2006, 05:16 AM
Me three ;)

you wish :lol

i wish :spin

ALVAREZ6
04-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Props for Tony Parker in saying that Manu was not the reason they lost, and I agree with him. The Spurs, IMO, didn't deserve to win the game. They got man-handled, couldn't make shots, and 2 of the big 3 had bad games. Those are plenty of reasons showing that the Spurs were not themselves in Game 3.

Hopefully, they will come back strong tonight.

GrandeDavid
04-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I think its great that Manu is being hard on himself. He damn well should be, and I think he has the strength of character and ability to produce the rest of this series. He'll be back tonight, you watch.

SenorSpur
04-30-2006, 09:41 AM
I was glad to see him take responsibility for his role in the last loss. Yes, there were many other factors that contributed to the loss, but Manu's were definitely the most glaring.

I fully expect him to come back with a vengence on Sunday night.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I said after those game 3 quotes Manu would come back possessed tonight. I can't wait to see him play with a chip on his shoulder.

Not since the second quarter of Game 1 has Parker made a shot longer than 8 feet. That wouldn't be a problem if he could get to the rim, but the Kings are playing under the Spurs' pick-and-rolls and daring him to beat them from perimeter.

The Spurs have seen this before. In each of the previous four years, Parker struggled in the playoffs after opponents packed the lane against him. So far, despite the improvement he made in the regular season, this year hasn't been any different.

Someone take the razor blades away from ducks.

weebo
04-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I actually don't mind this loss at all. The Spurs have been too lax this series (espcecially on D) maybe taking the Kings a bit lightly. A loss like this might give the Spurs a renewed sense of urgency.

boutons_
04-30-2006, 11:24 AM
I hate this "renewed sense of ugency" or the hated, hackneyed "wake up call"

It's the FUCKING playoffs!!

It's what the Spurs having been fucking around all season waiting for,

but they still need rewewal or waking up? GMAFB!

CosmicCowboy
04-30-2006, 11:28 AM
: It’s like you are telling me I’m this franchise player, but hey … once I noticed it, and I was like dang, I don’t have no bobble head? They tried to get me one at the last minute, and I was like, ‘No, I’m fine.’

Don't ANYONE even mention trading for that asshole...

weebo
04-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Damn don't get your hair pulled dude. Humans are creatures of habit. If you look at the Spurs playoff roster you see that this a team with playoff/championship experience. They've been down this road many a time and get a little too comfortable in key moments of games. They're not easily amped up playing an 8th seed in the first round of the playoffs. And yes a loss like this might be a "wake up call" for a team that has been basically been going through the motions the last couple of games.

wildbill2u
04-30-2006, 11:39 AM
We could easily be down 2-1. Barry's shot going in was a miracle while Bibby's steal was a veteran's move. He was simply taking advantage of the ref's reluctance to call a foul and decide the game in the last seconds.

So far we have no answer for the Kings in rebounding and you cant win in this league if you get out-rebounded every game. sooner or later it will catch up to you.

SA Gunslinger
04-30-2006, 12:10 PM
We could easily be down 2-1. Barry's shot going in was a miracle while Bibby's steal was a veteran's move. He was simply taking advantage of the ref's reluctance to call a foul and decide the game in the last seconds.

I don't agree with this. If the Spurs lost game two, they would have had a different mindset for game three because the importance of game three is magnified. I think Spurs win game three if they lost game two.

Cherry
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
No one beats the Spurs like that and lives to see the light of another series. Just ask Detroit.

:cheer WORD :cheer

T Park
04-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Damn don't get your hair pulled dude

Ignore him, we call him asshat.

bonesinaz
04-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't agree with this. If the Spurs lost game two, they would have had a different mindset for game three because the importance of game three is magnified. I think Spurs win game three if they lost game two.

Exactly. If the Spurs had dropped game 2 they would have won game 3.

What I like about Manu is what others have touched upon....that he takes personal responsibilty for the loss. He is mad at himself and no one else. He knows he is capable of making a mistake, but this will only make him a better player. He will have a huge game today- it may not be scoring-wise- but he will be focused and will grab boards, block shots, and inspire his team mates.

He is so intense and competitive that he reminds me of MJ.

ducks
04-30-2006, 03:31 PM
it is amazing to be everyone is so hard on tp's outside shot when aj could not hit a outside shot to save his freaking life

timvp
04-30-2006, 03:32 PM
it is amazing to be everyone is so hard on tp's outside shot when aj could not hit a outside shot to save his freaking life

Or win a championship.

:smokin

T Park
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Parker 2

AJ 1

hmmmmmmm

Kori Ellis
04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
TP's jump shot will be fine. If he sticks to remembering his form, he will hit some key jumpers in these playoffs.

He had a horrible game 3 along with Manu. They both should have great games today.

Spurs in Five.

ducks
04-30-2006, 03:40 PM

what was the pistons problem yesterday

Borosai
04-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Rebounding...that is all.

boutons_
04-30-2006, 03:55 PM
The Bucks shooting 60% could have been, euphemistically, an "issue" for the Pistons,
who shot 48%, which is what the best FG% team in the season averaged.

ducks
04-30-2006, 03:57 PM
it is called lack of being pumped up boutons

there was no d with the pistons last night

they needed a wake up call

boutons_
04-30-2006, 04:02 PM
The Bucks were red hot, 60%.

Defense could have made some difference, sure, but no defense doesn't force a team to shoot 60%.

The Spurs have had some opponents shoot very high FG% this season.

Because the Spurs played shitty D, or because the oppents was shooting hot?

The Spurs outshot the Kings, but Spurs had bad TOs, low ASTs vs Spurs avg, and got beat on the boards, and got outhustled nearly the entire game. Nice comeback, but un-championship-last-possession tactics lost the game.

T Park
04-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Defense could have made some difference, sure, but no defense doesn't force a team to shoot 60%.

The Spurs have had some opponents shoot very high FG% this season.

Because the Spurs played shitty D, or because the oppents was shooting hot?

So opponents against the Pistons shoot lights out, but against the Spurs its bad defense.

Typical Spurs hate rhetoric from you,

smeagol
04-30-2006, 04:58 PM
what was the pistons problem yesterday
now that is a good comeback ducks!

SenorSpur
04-30-2006, 04:58 PM
So far we have no answer for the Kings in rebounding and you cant win in this league if you get out-rebounded every game. sooner or later it will catch up to you.

True. The rebounding situation is and has been a concern for Pop all year. This issue will only get worse as the Spurs advance (assuming of course they dispatch the Kings).

The Mavs are an excellent rebounding team and will cause more problems on the glass with second chance opportunities.

ducks
04-30-2006, 04:59 PM
thanks