PDA

View Full Version : There are more than a few...

Yonivore
04-30-2006, 09:09 AM
...in this forum who are fond of the quote, attributed to Thomas Jefferson, "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

Well, Mark Steyn (http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn/cst-edt-steyn30.html) has some bad news for you guys. Jefferson never said it. Furthermore, dissent is not the highest form of patriotism.

Jefferson, on the other hand, did write "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

There doesn't seem to be much overlap between the folks who falsely quote Jefferson on the subject of dissent and those who quote the more famous statement.

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Edward R. Murrow:

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:52 PM
David Ogilvy:

Talent ... is most likely to be found among non-conformists, dissenters, and rebels.

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Edward R. Murrow:

No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices. (about Senator Joseph McCarthy's accusations about Communism in the American government)

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:55 PM
George Orwell:

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Has there ever been a society which has died of dissent? Several have died of conformity in our lifetime.
Jacob Bronowski

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

RandomGuy
In the end it is worse to suppress dissent than to run the risk of heresy.
Learned Hand

RandomGuy
Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.
Hubert H. Humphrey

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.
Robert Jackson

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
I could go on, but don't want to RAMBLE... (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/dissent.html) :lol

Don't confuse debunking the quote with debunking the idea...

xrayzebra
04-30-2006, 04:03 PM
^^Believe me you have been. Edward R. Murrow, George Orwell.
Now there are some reallllllllly big names in American history.
You forgot "What, me worry".

RandomGuy
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
^^Believe me you have been. Edward R. Murrow, George Orwell.
Now there are some reallllllllly big names in American history.
You forgot "What, me worry".

Then explain to me why dissent is bad. If you want to say the idea is debunked, I will listen.