PDA

View Full Version : The Tony Parker Project

timvp
04-30-2006, 02:28 PM
There is much talk about how Tony Parker fades as series progress. I looked over the numbers and there is a notable drop after games one and two of a series.

Over the last two playoffs, Parker's stats are as followed:

GAME 1
22 Points -- 51.7%

GAME 2
19.8 Points -- 51.9%

GAME 3
15.8 Points -- 38.9%

GAME 4
16.5 Points -- 43.5%

GAME 5
16 Points -- 42.4%

GAME 6
14.5 Points -- 46.4%

GAME 7
8 Poinst -- 27.3%

Of couse there was only one Game 7 but the downward slope of his stats is pretty obvious. For Parker to take the next step in his development, he'll need to correct this.

Every team who plays the Spurs makes the same adjustment as the series goes along. At first, they try to guard Parker with their point guard. That doesn't work because Parker can blow by anyone and will win a game all by himself. Then they switch a taller player onto him and give him space to shoot and Parker doesn't respond.

In Game 3, the Kings barely guarded him. They went under all the pick-and-rolls and basically ignored him on the perimeter. And that's the odd thing about guarding Parker -- if you try to, he'll murder you. If you ignore him and give him space, he will take himself out of the game.

To fix this, Parker not only needs to hit outside shots, he needs to make faster decisions. When he's wide open, he tends to hold onto the ball too long while trying to figure out what to do. I'd like to see him either shoot it or get it out of his hands.

I believe that Parker can figure this out. He's had a wonderful season up to this point, he needs to stay in an attacking mode even when no one is on him.

He can do it.

Believe.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Man, I got nothing but Believe for these Spurs.

exstatic
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
He has to hit his jumper. If he does that, everything else will fall in place. He seems to have a harder time establishing that in a hostile arena.

timvp
04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
He has to hit his jumper. If he does that, everything else will fall in place. He seems to have a harder time establishing that in a hostile arena.

I thought that could be the cause of it too but Parker was fine in games one and two in Phoenix. But yeah, he needs to take and make that jumper. He can't worry if he misses his first couple.

Keep firin'.

ducks
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
if he hits his first one or can get to the free throw line he can get his confidence going

rember sac town is one of the harder places to play

ps I wonder what aj's shooting % are in the playoffs

zeleni
04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I know TP is one hell of a player. Like Beno. ;)

timvp
04-30-2006, 03:40 PM
ps I wonder what aj's shooting % are in the playoffs

50% lifetime.

Mr. Body
04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
In Game 3, the Kings barely guarded him. They went under all the pick-and-rolls and basically ignored him on the perimeter. And that's the odd thing about guarding Parker -- if you try to, he'll murder you. If you ignore him and give him space, he will take himself out of the game.

Makes you wonder why teams try to guard him any different in the first two games.

ducks
04-30-2006, 03:48 PM
50% lifetime.

NCaliSpurs
04-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Teams have tried the whole "going under the screen trick" all season - and I am pretty sure he still shot over 55% over the last half of the season. Tony has beaten it by picking his moments to drive more judiciously, and by letting it fly only when he feels it.

I don't think _ramento has solved him by any means. He had a bad game, and I feel like this entire season was building towards him growing into the leader the team needs him to be.

gospursgojas
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah I think it has most to do with being on the road...

The Spurs have had the HCA in all but 1 of their playoffs series the last two years, so games 2 and 3 would be on the road.

Tony needs to correct this, and he will BELIEVE

ducks
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
he just needs to drive if the refs call like they did last game he will shoot free throws

timvp
04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
According to 82games.com, Tony shot 41.5% on jumpers this season. Last season he shot 40.5% on jumpers.

Good to see improvement, no matter how small.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Tony's jumper did not start falling with any regularity until the last couple months this season .. and even then, it still wasn't totally consistent. But you can see the improvement in his form and release. If he keeps concentrating on what he's learned, he will knock down some key jumpers in this series.

Believe.

Bambililos
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Hopefully next HE'll got the last possession and he will knck down the decisive basket. Just to show he's improved, he's a clutch player.
Go Tony Go and GO SPURS GO

ducks
04-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I will say some of those playoffs games were against the lakers with phil and he told his team just to gear on tony parker

not saying he does not need to improve just pointing that out

Bruno
04-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Tony's jumper did not start falling with any regularity until the last couple months this season .. and even then, it still wasn't totally consistent.

That was my feeling too, so I've made the stat to show if it was real.

For the regular season after the ASG (28 games):
- Tony has taken 378 shoots, 139 (37%) were jumpshot from 16+ ft.
- Tony has made 211 shoots, 63 (30%) were jumpshot from 16+ ft.
- Tony's FG% on 16+ ft jumpshoot is 45.3%
- Tony's eFG% on 16+ ft jumpshoot is 47.1%

Kori Ellis
04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
For the regular season after the ASG (28 games):
- Tony's FG% on 16+ ft jumpshoot is 45.3%
- Tony's eFG% on 16+ ft jumpshoot is 47.1%

Thanks for researching that.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Damn, if he could hit 45% consistently, he'd be set.

Spurologist
04-30-2006, 07:55 PM
According to 82games.com, Tony shot 41.5% on jumpers this season. Last season he shot 40.5% on jumpers.

Good to see improvement, no matter how small.

Interesting. How well does that rank in the league? or compared to other notable players?

gospursgo
04-30-2006, 08:04 PM
There is much talk about how Tony Parker fades as series progress. I looked over the numbers and there is a notable drop after games one and two of a series.

BLAME IT ON EVA!!! :makeout

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-30-2006, 08:19 PM
The dropoff is from the defensive adjustments on Tony. The only way Tony can curb these let downs is by getting his rhythm with that consistent jumper to answer the opposition. He needs to make better decisions and defer instead trying to prove he can do it now, now, now, with those jumpshots. He means well but it ends up with crap shots. He'll get there though. I think this year he'll respond to his bad games.

T Park
04-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Quicker decisions, and sticking to his new mechanics on his jumper, and he will be just fine.

Get em tonight Tony :tu