PDA

View Full Version : Baby Back Ribs

jcrod
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Any suggestions on the best way to grill them? I can do a mean Brisket, but never tackled doing ribs and want to this weekend. Also is there a place to get better quality ribs besides HEB? Thanks.

DJREN37
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Culebra meat market carry real nice spare and baby back. Place all your charcoal on one side of your grill and place ribs on opposite side to slow smoke them. Once your charcoal turns white, add some wood whatever your taste, mesquite, oak, cherry. You can get wood chips at HEB. Once the meat pulls away about a half inch from the edge og the bone you are ready to feast. Smoking temperature depending on what ribs you use is very important, dont cook any pork with heat less than 200 deg. Do mot sauce the ribs till you are ready to eat.

tlongII
05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Chilli's

tlongII
05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I expect to see a post from Cosmic Cowboy in here soon. He doesn't know how to cook them, but he will pretend that he does.

Vashner
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Best way to grill is just put on what you want. Spices and sauces and cook em up.

I put on montreal steak seasoning and maybe some bar-b-que sauce. Salt and pepper then cook on high heat with mesquite charcoal. I like em kinda burnt on the outside a bit .. not everyone does.

jcrod
05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Culebra meat market carry real nice spare and baby back. Place all your charcoal on one side of your grill and place ribs on opposite side to slow smoke them. Once your charcoal turns white, add some wood whatever your taste, mesquite, oak, cherry. You can get wood chips at HEB. Once the meat pulls away about a half inch from the edge og the bone you are ready to feast. Smoking temperature depending on what ribs you use is very important, dont cook any pork with heat less than 200 deg. Do mot sauce the ribs till you are ready to eat.

I plan on doing pork. What kind of pit do you usually use? I'll be using a barrel type one, but not like the ones you buy a the store, this was made by someone.

Around how much coal do you pack on one side, I'm assuming you want to slow cook it so you don't want the temp to much higher than 200.

Vashner
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
I use a metal starter chimney. You put the coals in that and put paper with veggie oil in the bottom. It gives you good clean coals with no fuel taste. Once they are ready I pour that into the pit. You want the coals spread out just like a normal que.

Then it's up to you to control how you want them cooked. Sounds like you know what you want so just go for it. The pit really does not matter unless your smoking or have a huge load of food. It's the heat and how high above coals, air venting that control how it comes out.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/wchimlg.jpg

jcrod
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Make sure to peel back the membrane on the bottom of the ribs first. Then wash the ribs with cold water. I use a brown sugar chili powder rub plus a few other spices and cover them in the fridge overnight. Cook away from heat about 7 hours not exceeding 240 degrees. Then for another 4 hours place ribs in a sealed foil boil (like what you would use for a brisket) with half to a full bottle of Shiner Bock but don't lift up the top keep them sealed air tight. Half charcoal and half mesquite chunks for the first 7 hours then just charcoal to finish them off. You can baste them with a sauce or vinegar baste if you want. These will come out perfect everytime.

You can get a cheap temp gauge at the grocery store to keep tabs but don't look to often I add wood and charcoal about every hour to hour and half.

The what??? What the hell is the membrane on the bottom of the ribs??? :lol

jcrod
05-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I use a metal starter chimney. You put the coals in that and put paper with veggie oil in the bottom. It gives you good clean coals with no fuel taste. Once they are ready I pour that into the pit. You want the coals spread out just like a normal que.

Then it's up to you to control how you want them cooked. Sounds like you know what you want so just go for it. The pit really does not matter unless your smoking or have a huge load of food. It's the heat and how high above coals, air venting that control how it comes out.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/wchimlg.jpg

Yeah I have two of those and thats the only way to go when I do my brisket. Yeah, I know what i want, but since its the first time kind of scared they come out overcooked the first time. So I'm cooking brisket also just in case. :lol

Vashner
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
nevermind wrong answer.

SpursWoman
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
The what??? What the hell is the membrane on the bottom of the ribs??? :lol

It's a thick layer of skin on the underside. If you don't pull it off, your ribs will be tough and/or very chewy.

Vashner
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Na you can cook that. I have never heard of anyone pulling it off.

It will keep the juices in.

jcrod
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
It's a thick layer of skin on the underside. If you don't pull it off, your ribs will be tough and/or very chewy.

Ohhh, OK. I guess that is very important. Thanks!

jcrod
05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Which is it guys, keep it or get rid of it.

SpursWoman
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Get rid of it...trust me on this one. :)

:lol @ Bishop

jcrod
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect2.html read this.

:tu

Vashner
05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Not me I love that part.. tastes good too.

I don't see any problem going gringo and cutting it off.

That's the fun of cooking. You get to experiment.

CAGE
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Why go through all the trouble, just go to Tom's Ribs

Vashner
05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I think some of the packaged baby's already have that removed no?

As far as Tom's Ribs. I don't like the place. There sausage will keep you in the shitter all day.

There is a reward and satisfaction of the que.

Sitting at the lake, river or backyard with some Mequite and dead animal burning.. now that's life.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I expect to see a post from Cosmic Cowboy in here soon. He doesn't know how to cook them, but he will pretend that he does.

:lmao

jcrod
05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I think some of the packaged baby's already have that removed no?

As far as Tom's Ribs. I don't like the place. There sausage will keep you in the shitter all day.

There is a reward and satisfaction of the que.

Sitting at the lake, river or backyard with some Mequite and dead animal burning.. now that's life.

yep, theres nothing like Qing, sitting around cooking drinking beer and BSing. I like doing it for family and friends. I have steaks, chicken and brisket down and know want to master the rib.

Plan on doing it Sat for the fight, so cooking brisket also, just in case the ribs turn out like shit. That way everybody still has some thing good to eat.

Summers
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I feel like breaking into song.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
I like using pork spare ribs instead of babybacks...cheaper and better flavor.

I use a dry rub...remove the membrane and pat it all over the ribs...wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a day or two before cooking. Then cook on the grill at about 250 for about 2-3 hours...I use a mop sauce (not a barbeque sauce) about every thirty minutes...Then pull them off the grill and wrap tight in foil...one last heavy mop before wrapping...cook another hour and let them steam in the mop sauce/juices...they will be "fall off the bone" tender and bursting with flavor...

If you are cooking for a lot of people you can curl the racks in a "circle", skewer them and stand them on end...you can cook 5 or 6 racks at a time that way instead of two (on a typical grill) and they cook the same...

Vashner
05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
We que'd yesterday at Bergheim campgrounds. Buffallo burgers.

The water was sweet but low (Guadalupe).

jcrod
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
So everybody, where do you get your ribs from??

Duff McCartney
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
You should always get them from a butcher shop. They always have the best cuts.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Bohlners meat market

Winnipeg_Spur
05-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Screw all of you, you're making me so hungry. :flipoff

I really love ribs too... :drool:

ObiwanGinobili
05-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I par boil, dry rub, baste, wrap in tin foil & throw on the grill.
the last 15 min.s of grilling I then unwrap and baste every 3-5 min.s

occasionally I have to line the grill with tinfoil becasue the meat starts comgin off the bones with the flipping over for the basting.

Vashner
05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Foil? I guess it would be moist. I like it burnt a bit on the outside.

ObiwanGinobili
05-02-2006, 03:50 PM
If you read, I unwrap the foil for the last 15 min.s .... that way it gts crispy o nteh outside without over drying.

ShoogarBear
05-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I feel like breaking into song.

:lmao I've been humming that ever since I saw the thread title.

ShoogarBear
05-02-2006, 04:11 PM
I par boil, dry rub, baste, wrap in tin foil & throw on the grill.
the last 15 min.s of grilling I then unwrap and baste every 3-5 min.s

occasionally I have to line the grill with tinfoil becasue the meat starts comgin off the bones with the flipping over for the basting.

:tu I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who parboiled.

CosmicCowboy
05-02-2006, 04:44 PM
sheeeeeut!...I got hungry for ribs reading this thread and broke down and went to Bill Millers (only place close) KNOWING I was gonna be dissappointed...and they were even worse than usual...they looked pretty but had absolutely no flavor and were tough...ugh!....I ended up throwing the rest in the dumpster...

Vashner
05-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Those are pork spare ribs not baby back. And they are oven baked with steamed on smoke flavor. No flame :(

For the price they are not bad. Bill Millers never pretends to be a high end eatery. It's like dirt cheap..

jcrod
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Bishop reminded me I forgot to thank everybody for the tips.

I did them on Sat and put all the coals on one side and the ribs on the other. Put some Butt Rubb the night before and cooked them for about 3 1/2 hrs. Then put them directly over the coals and caramelized them with some bbq sauce for about 10 mins. Little crispy on the outside and tender inside. Everybody loved them.

And i went with taking the membrane off. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!

Vashner
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
What blame the membrane... you know more fat is better... I like when it snaps and grease shoots out everywhere..

Edit: yea I guess the ones I cook don't have it cause I looked the other day..

chode_regulator
05-12-2006, 08:06 PM
funny, i boughgt some ribs the other day at the commisary and googled recipes earlier before even seeing this thread.
i recomend doing this to get some different/interesting ideas for marinades or what not.
from waht i gather peel that membrane off though, not only does itmake it tough but the spices and stuff you use wont soak all the wya through.
good luck man. i hope we both dont fuck up. especially me, sincei wont be cooking anything else.
though for esater we cooked up some lamb and having never done it, it turned out pretty dman good.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-12-2006, 08:07 PM
i want my baby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby backbaby back

KingsFanWithoutName
05-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Baby backs have to be my favorite ribs. My way is quite simple and you can use whatever sauces/seasonings you like. My trick is the method in which to cook them.

I first boil them in a large pot for about 20 minutes. Pat them dry and throw them on the BBQ for about 20 minutes. I like to add a little BBQ sauce the last 5 mins or so. After this, I drench them in BBQ sauce and cook them for 25 mins in the oven at 325 degrees. The meat literally falls off the bone.

Don't ever buy the prepackaged babyback ribs. They taste like shit. Kill a fucking pig and do it yourself, or talk to your butcher.

leemajors
05-12-2006, 09:32 PM
i got an electric smoker for my birthday from my gf and her family. i'm never cooking ribs on the grill again. get them for 3 hours in there, then hit em with a mop and wrap them in foil, back in the smoker for 1.5 hours (all at 220 degrees). meat just falls off the bone and they stay moist. you just have to add chips every hour or two!

CosmicCowboy
05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
i got an electric smoker for my birthday from my gf and her family. i'm never cooking ribs on the grill again. get them for 3 hours in there, then hit em with a mop and wrap them in foil, back in the smoker for 1.5 hours (all at 220 degrees). meat just falls off the bone and they stay moist. you just have to add chips every hour or two!

Brinkman?

leemajors
05-13-2006, 12:15 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034425516721a&type=product&cmCat=searchFeat&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=smoker&Ntk=Products&QueryText=smoker&Ntx=matchall&N=4808&trueNum=32

it's that one. i also got a rib rack, it's awesome. 3 slots perfectly sized for baby back ribs, and spikes for potatoes

Vashner
05-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Hum... I have to burn tree and coal for smoked meats. Baked that's like bill millers low end que.

leemajors
05-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Hum... I have to burn tree and coal for smoked meats. Baked that's like bill millers low end que.

an electric smoker is quite a bit different than an oven, it uses electricity for the heat and you can add whatever wood chips you want to it... you also get a faceful of smoke when you open the damn thing. not much of the smoke escapes from the thing at all, the meat really absorbs the smoke well and it can't help but cook evenly. trust me, it's way better than bill miller's crap.

leemajors
05-15-2006, 09:21 AM
this thing also kicks ass:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0032727590711a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=rib+rack&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=rib+rack&noImage=0

i saw one in the store before and thought it was kinda silly. i got one for my birthday though, and it's an incredibly useful tool.

Mrs.Tlong
05-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Coming from a man who recomended Chili's - that's rich!

tlongII
05-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Coming from a man who recomended Chili's - that's rich!

Chilli's baby back ribs are excellent. As a herbivore I would expect you to know nothing about this subject.

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2006, 01:22 PM
I had some lamb ribs last week at the smokehouse...They were really exceptional...I think I have a new favorite...I thought they were better than beef OR pork...If a find a meatmarket that has them I will post it for you BBQers out there to try...