PDA

View Full Version : Getting Manu going

dbreiden83080
05-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Listening to the telecast on TNT last night Doug Collins was saying he thinks the spurs have to get Manu in motion, coming off screens and such to get him going on Artest. Anyone agree with that because i doubt we can win game 5 with Manu playing like this and it sure looks like he can not score on Artest like he does everyone else.

timvp
05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Manu had his chanes last night. He was isolated a couple times on Kevin Martin and didn't do anything. The Real Manu takes that and puts KMart out of business. This Manu makes a half hearted move and then makes a bad pass.

dbreiden83080
05-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Manu had his chanes last night. He was isolated a couple times on Kevin Martin and didn't do anything. The Real Manu takes that and puts KMart out of business. This Manu makes a half hearted move and then makes a bad pass.

I think Arterst is in his head right now, that turnover at the end of game 3 may be weighing on him psychologically. I do think he needs to be super agressive against Martin and be in motion when Artest is on him.

timvp
05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Artest must REALLY be in his head because Manu wasn't aggressive even against the likes of that guy with the 80's haircut.

dbreiden83080
05-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Artest must REALLY be in his head because Manu wasn't aggressive even against the likes of that guy with the 80's haircut.

I agree he may be thinking he is going to committ a turnover when he takes it to the hole so he is settling for jumpers, Manu only get 4 shots off is insane.

Spurminator
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/cache-240x240/arton21077-240x240.jpghttp://www.avatune.com/pics/30010439.jpg

BigVee
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Agreed. Manu needs to get Manu going. I want to see the guy I have watched the past several years. Screw the turnovers, just keep playing. Manu played like he wanted no part of that game last night. Passive Manu = no chance to win, aggressive Manu w/ turnovers = good chance to win, aggressive Manu w/ few turnovers = win.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 01:35 PM
By the articles in the paper, it doesn't seem like it's Artest that is in Manu's head. It seems like it's just the turnover. Manu needs to get over it. He's had bad games in his life before .. maybe he's never felt that he was direct culprit in costing a game before. But he needs to move on. Pop shouldn't need to be coddling his psyche telling him "it's okay, it's not your fault" over and over again. Pop needs to be trying to find a plan to slow Bonzi right now.

I have faith in Manu. To me he's always been someone I know will sack up after a loss, get angry over a mistake and respond, and come up big in big games.

Well yesterday, he didn't do any of that. He has another chance on Tuesday and needs to get it done.

mabber
05-01-2006, 01:40 PM
It's just a bad matchup for Manu. I think the Spurs can get by the Kings w/o Manu playing great but he probably needs to not suck like he has been. As a Mav fan, I enjoy seeing him get shut down as he's really the only Spur I don't like. Manu is one of those guys that's hard to like unless he's on your team.

On a side note...don't y'all think that Parker is going to have to start hitting more outside jumpers as well? Seems to me that the Kings are taking away his drives much better than other teams have.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 01:42 PM
It's just a bad matchup for Manu. I think the Spurs can get by the Kings w/o Manu playing great but he probably needs to not suck like he has been. As a Mav fan, I enjoy seeing him get shut down as he's really the only Spur I don't like. Manu is one of those guys that's hard to like unless he's on your team.

Manu had Kevin Martin on him and still didn't do anything. So I don't think it's just the matchup.

On a side note...don't y'all think that Parker is going to have to start hitting more outside jumpers as well? Seems to me that the Kings are taking away his drives much better than other teams have.

Parker hit 4 jumpers and 6 layups in his 10 made shots last night. There's another thread about Parker if you want to talk about that there.

pache100
05-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Agreed. Manu needs to get Manu going.

I agree, too. Manu has never had to have anyone else "get him going" before. I don't know what or who is in his head. but he needs to get with the program. See, I saw little snippets of this Manu in the playoffs last year. He stepped up big most times when it counted, but I heard all the second half of the season, especially down toward last year's playoffs about Manu taking a bigger leadership role. And that is the main reason I said he did not deserve MVP for the playoffs last year. Manu did not lead anyone in the playoffs, not even himself; there were times he was not even in the game when he was on the court. I'm not sure what the problem is, whether he is in some kind of pain or what, but only Manu can figure it out, and only Manu can fix it.

nkdlunch
05-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh please, don't blame Manu's bad game on the suspicion that the turnover is still in his head :rolleyes

Give some props to Kings defense, that is the main reason why manu is sucking. Also Kevin Martin is currently playing out of his league, in other words, him and Bonzi have enlarged confidence and need to be brought down to earth. Bring those 2 back to earth and we own the series.

The way I would bring Bonzi back to earth is by hacking his ass everytime he has the ball. He is playing awesome but it's Bonzi, an ex blazer, he can easily get distracted if we physically single him out. I'm not talking about flagrant, just foul his ass all the time.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh please, don't blame Manu's bad game on the suspicion that the turnover is still in his head :rolleyes

"I was playing still like my head wasn't ready after what happened in that game (game three). I can't believe it, because I've been in situations that were tough, and you come back and put it behind and play strong, but today I just couldn't."

Vashner
05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
It's the food in Sacramentos.... they put extra MSG to make Spurs sloppy and tired..

pache100
05-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Maybe it's like Charles Barkley's golf swing?

nkdlunch
05-01-2006, 01:55 PM
"I was playing like"

like is the key word.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
"I was playing like"

like is the key word.

Umm.. both Pop and Manu said that Manu is having a problem getting over the turnover and couldn't get it out of his head yesterday. I think we should trust them.

MadDog73
05-01-2006, 02:03 PM
The way I would bring Bonzi back to earth is by hacking his ass everytime he has the ball. He is playing awesome but it's Bonzi, an ex blazer, he can easily get distracted if we physically single him out. I'm not talking about flagrant, just foul his ass all the time.

Off topic, but I have been impressed with the way Bonzi and Artest have kept their composure.

There were times last night I thought Bonzi or Artest would lose it, and go off on a tantrum. Oh, well, maybe tonight...

Vashner
05-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I think the problem is just the pressure on Manu. Too bad we can't stop time and send him home for vacation a couple weeks. He's burnt out and the pressure is up.

nkdlunch
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Umm.. both Pop and Manu said that Manu is having a problem getting over the turnover and couldn't get it out of his head yesterday. I think we should trust them.

ahhh CIA Pop, now I comprehend

nkdlunch
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I think the problem is just the pressure on Manu. Too bad we can't stop time and send him home for vacation a couple weeks. He's burnt out and the pressure is up.

burnt out in round 1 :lol

we're in trouble if that's true

BigVee
05-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Time to shave.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Time to shave.

Yeah that might be his whole problem. :lol

pache100
05-01-2006, 02:09 PM

He's always eaten up pressure with a spoon and chocolate sauce. I don't think that's it. Just my opinion, though.

BigVee
05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah that might be his whole problem. :lol
Couldn't hurt at this point.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Couldn't hurt at this point.

I know, we were all talking about it during the game too. :)

Bandit2981
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Does anyone think Manu could get going if he was used as the backup point guard behind Parker, and then having Beno or Nick at the 2 instead of the point?

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Does anyone think Manu could get going if he was used as the backup point guard behind Parker, and then having Beno or Nick at the 2 instead of the point?

No, the Spurs would be way too small to start the game.

Bandit2981
05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
How is that? The starting lineup would still be the same, just give Manu a breather around the 6 minute mark and when Parker comes out put Manu back in for the point. Beno or Nick can stay on the bench and Barry could come in for more size. Malik would have been perfect for this series :lol

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 03:09 PM
How is that? The starting lineup would still be the same, just give Manu a breather around the 6 minute mark and when Parker comes out put Manu back in for the point. Beno or Nick can stay on the bench and Barry could come in for more size. Malik would have been perfect for this series :lol

I thought your premise was to have Manu come off the bench as the backup PG. My bad.

Sportman
05-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Are you talking seriously?? :oops :oops

Manu4Three
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
No way, that spot it would have be for Brent Barry.
Brent and Manu at the backcourt at the same time.