View Full Version : All-Time Greatest Roster

conqueso
05-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Sorry if it's a repost:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/features/nbaLineup

compare to this:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36010

Here's what they said about the Spurs:

G ALVIN ROBERTSON 1986 (Did a little bit of everything: Defensive Player of Year, All-Star in '86)
G GEORGE GERVIN 1980 (There have been few pure scorers like the Iceman; was 1st-team All-NBA five times)
G TONY PARKER 2006 (Thanks to 54.8% shooting, took a huge leap forward this season)
G MANU GINOBILI 2005 (Didn't quite make "the leap" to superstar status, but was still an All-Star in '05)
F LARRY KENON 1979 (Formed an explosive scoring duo with Gervin; All-Star in '79)
F TIM DUNCAN 2003 (We know the drill: not flashy, just one of the best of all time; won his second straight MVP in leading the Spurs to the championship)
F MIKE MITCHELL 1984 (Lone All-Star year came with Cavs in '81, but was in top 10 in scoring four times)
F BRUCE BOWEN 2005 (He's here for his extra-tough D and 3-point shooting (40% in 2005))
C DAVID ROBINSON 1995 (At his MVP peak in '95, The Admiral was an unstoppable scorer, great shot blocker and all class)
C BILLY PAULTZ 1978 (Hey, with a nickname like "The Whopper," how could we leave him off the squad?)

Here's what I said:

C: Robinson '95 (27.6, 10.8, 3.2 blocks, MVP, First Team, All-Star)
PF: Duncan '03 (23, 13, 2.9 blocks, MVP, Finals MVP, First Team, All-Star)
SF: Elliott '96 (20, 5, 41% 3s, All-Star)
SG: Gervin '80 (33, 5, Scoring Title, First Team, All-Star)
PG: Moore '85 (13, 10 assists, 2.8 steals)

C: Artis Gilmore '83 (18, 12, 2.3 blocks, All-Star)
F/C: Horry '05 (pretend it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals, 5 seconds left, down by 2...what All-Time Spur do you want taking the shot for the win?)
F: Larry Kenon '78 (20, 9.6, All-Star)
F: Bowen '03 (what he did to Kobe in Game 2 of WCSF is the stuff of legend)
G: Ginobili '05 (All-Star, Finals MVP *ahem*)
G: Alvin Robertson '88 (19.6, 6, 7, All-Star)
G: Silas '76 (23.8, 5.4 assists, 1.8 steals, All-Star)
IR: Parker '06 (only IR because this team is guard heavy and we don't know if he can keep it up in the playoffs)

I agree with a lot of that list, but...what the fuck? They left off Elliott and Moore and Gilmore?! And included Billy Paultz?!?! Who are these guys?!? Moore was a MUCH better PG in '85 than Tony has been this year, IMO. And I really don't agree with Bowen's 2005 over 2003...he led the league in 3 pt % for christssake!

ANYWAY, they have the All-Time Spurs going up against the All-Time Suns, and I don't think it's a contest:

Suns:

G STEVE NASH
G PAUL WESTPHAL
G KEVIN JOHNSON
G DAN MAJERLE
F SHAWN MARION
F AMARE STOUDEMIRE
F WALTER DAVIS
F TOM CHAMBERS
F/C CONNIE HAWKINS
C LARRY NANCE

Who on that team is going to play any fucking defense at all? Who's going to stop Robinson? Who's going to stop Duncan? Who's going to stop Ice? Damn that series would be fun to watch...'95 DRob would absolutely annihilate Stoudemire. Comparable athleticism, but DRob has better offense and much much MUCH better defense. And I bet Alving and Moore could D up Steve Nash pretty well.

E20
05-04-2006, 10:10 PM
They left Charles Barkely out for the Suns.

Where the fuck are Nazr and Rasho god damn it!