PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Ridnour to start at point guard

ducks
10-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Notebook: Ridnour to start at point guard

Percy Allen, Seattle Times staff reporter

A year ago, Luke Ridnour began his rookie season on the sideline nursing an abdominal injury. In July, he injured his right hip flexor, which forced him to discontinue playing on the Sonics' summer-league team that competed in Salt Lake City.

For the start of training camp yesterday, Ridnour was not only racing around injury free, but he ran with the Sonics' starters and will be given the first opportunity to fill the point-guard position vacated by Brent Barry, who signed with San Antonio last summer.
In his first major move of the new season, coach Nate McMillan elevated the second-year veteran from Blaine ahead of Antonio Daniels, who started 32 games and led the NBA in assist-to-turnover ratio (4.89) last season.

The decision to begin training camp with Ridnour signals McMillan's commitment to play fast on offense and press defensively.

"Both guys will have the opportunity to start. I told both of them that they do," McMillan said. "What I'm looking for is pressure on the ball and a guard that will push the ball every time. I want the ball pressured on defense. If you do that, then you're running this team."

Ronald Murray, who starred last season as a shooting guard when Ray Allen missed 25 games, will also be given a chance to win the point-guard spot. Murray was a point guard in college at Shaw University, but he has rarely played the position in the NBA because of his scoring prowess.

Ridnour played in 69 games last season and started six. At times, he played like someone deserving of being selected 14th overall in the 2003 NBA draft; he dished out a career-high 13 assists against Dallas in April.

Often times, however, he struggled with his perimeter shooting and occasionally was reckless with the ball, which was the case during an eight-turnover performance against Denver in December.

The other starters are Allen, Rashard Lewis, Reggie Evans and Vitaly Potapenko.

Murray injured * Murray suffered a strained left quadriceps in yesterday's morning workout and will miss at least a week of practice.

He left the practice facility and was examined by team Dr. Richard Zorn. Murray underwent an MRI, but the team didn't know the results late last night.

McMillan takes control

The change in McMillan's demeanor and how he's running the team was immediately apparent on the first day. Simply put, mistakes will not be tolerated, he said over and over.

To emphasize the point, during a drill that concluded yesterday's practice, he instructed players who missed layups or committed turnovers to run a lap around the gym for their miscues.

The unexpected hard stance was met with a few raised eyebrows and caused one player to say: "I'm going to need a clarification of the rules."

McMillan's actions spoke louder than his words. He participated in workouts with players and led several drills.

"The last two years, I really allowed the assistants to run just about every drill, and I kind of observed," he said. "And my first two years I didn't do that. I was really involved. I scrimmaged at times. I want to do that.

"I just gave those guys (the assistants) more responsibility. I thought that they could, and they did do a good job, but I want to be more involved. I want to get back out there. It's almost like Dennis Rodman getting an itch to play again. I think I can help more that way."

Radmanovic rebuffed

Last month, Vladimir Radmanovic's agent, David Bauman, contacted the Sonics regarding a contract extension for the reserve forward, who enters his fourth year in the NBA.

Radmanovic said yesterday that the team declined his request, and the two sides decided to revisit the issue after the season when he becomes a restricted free agent.

"I have no reaction," he said. "What can I do? Go over there and scream to them: 'You have to sign me!' No. It's up to them."

Teams have until Oct. 31 to extend the contracts of players taken in the 2001 draft.

Notes

• The Sonics have added guards Mateen Cleaves, Carl English and Galen Young, center Leon Smith and forward Damien Wilkins to their camp roster. Teams must pare their rosters to a maximum of 15 players (12 on the active list and three on the injury list) by Nov. 1. The Sonics have 19 players on the roster.

• Turkish guard Ibrahim Kutluay is expected to join the team today or tomorrow, McMillan said.

• According to the NBA, Nick Collison, who was drafted 12th overall in 2003, is technically a rookie this season because he never played a game last season. Collison, who underwent two shoulder surgeries, said he feels no residual pain.

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

timvp
10-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Ridnour was horrible in Utah during the summer league. Although he was injured, he looked way overmatched.

We'll see how he fares in preseason.

ducks
10-09-2004, 09:36 PM
allen may not want to resign with them then
a point guard that sucks ouch!