PDA

View Full Version : Something to ponder re: WC playoffs

trueD
05-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Western Conference First Round:

#4 wins the matchup with #5. Now these two teams are supposed to be the most closely matched teams (okay, maybe just W/L wise), and yet it was the only sweep of the first round in the league.

Then, consider this:

#6 beats #3 in 5 games, admittedly this was more than predicted, but still.

#7 could possibly beat #2!

Anyone know where I'm going with this? :wakeup

Pretty balanced I'd say, and maybe some surprises.

If the Lakers advance the matchup between them (the NEW version of the Lakers, that is) and the Clips will be awesome to watch. Not only will the contest be entertaining purely based on the two teams being in LaLa Land, but Lakers will be in for a ride with some beef up front on Clips. So far they've pretty much been skating around the lane, let's see what some perimeter shooting can do for Odumb and Kwame. I would expect a pretty bang-em-up matchup with Kwame & Elton. Could possibly draw some attention away from the team ball being so eloquently played with the run & gun Suns.

And if the Suns advance this would be more to my liking of having the Lakers NOT advance. Either way I'm not going to put up much of a fuss.

How would Dallas match up with your Spurs team?

I'm not ready to go there just yet.... :oops

Supergirl
05-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Lakers will beat the Clips, but it will be a tough matchup. The key will be Kwame Brown's resurgence and rebounding.

exstatic
05-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Worst seedings ever. I expect more "normal" results when they re-do the seedings after this year. You're also failing to mention that 6 had HCA over 3. They should have been favored. Seed 4 also should have been seed 2 by record.

Solid D
05-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Seedings improprieties (that saw the Clippers needing to lose to win HCA).
Dallas is THAT good.
PHX hasn't been the same without a healthy Kurt Thomas. Kobe doing what Kobe does.

San Antonio isn't as quick with their help D this season, so teams with positional matchup advantages like Dallas and SAC who lift and iso, give the Spurs trouble. San Antonio had better adjust and get used to it.

Jimcs50
05-02-2006, 08:22 AM
8 can beat 1 too.

MadDog73
05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
This is a weird year. One, the seedings are all screwed up, as we all know the Nuggets did not deserve to be number 3 team.

The Kings are not a true 8 seed, they are a brand new team with Artest. (Not trying to make excuses for the Spurs, they should still win the series, but it's not like the Spurs are being beat by the Nuggets or something.)

The Grizzlies were a joke. I won't give the Mavs any credit until they win the second round - that will be the true test.

The Suns are not the same without Amare. Kobe > Nash.

The WCF is probably going to suck - unless it's the Lakers versus the Kings or something... no, it's going to suck. I can't think of any good matchups:

Spurs vs Lakers?
Spurs vs Clippers?
Kings vs Lakers?
Mavs vs Clippers?

None of those sound as intense as the 2nd round possibilities:

Lakers vs Clippers
Spurs vs Mavs
Kings vs Mavs

And that's the worse thing about the seedings: the best ball games will be played before the WCF.

Solid D
05-02-2006, 08:59 AM
8 can beat 1 too.

Are you running for Captain Obvious? :lol

Jimcs50
05-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Are you running for Captain Obvious? :lol

No, I just do not want to whistle past the graveyard....we have to face our demons and exorcise them. :)

MoSpur
05-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Lakers will beat the Clips, but it will be a tough matchup. The key will be Kwame Brown's resurgence and rebounding.

:lol

Funniest line I've read in a long time. Kwame is playing OK. Against the Suns. A team not known for rebounding or defense.

The Clippers should beat the Lakers. The Clippers do it on defense and offense. They can play the half-court offense and also run. The Lakers do not have the experience to advance past the Clippers. I know, I know. The Clippers don't have a lot of experience either, but Sam I am and Cattino make up for that.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Assuming the Lakers close the series out I don't expect the Clippers to need more than five games. Kobe is not going to get the same easy buckets against a team that actually has players bigger than 6'7 guarding the paint, or a team with some general desire to play defense for that matter.

dtk
05-02-2006, 09:12 AM
And that's the worse thing about the seedings: the best ball games will be played before the WCF.

And it is sad that once they "fix" the seedings that the best ball games will be played before the NBA Finals...

They should just seed the playoffs 1-16

MadDog73
05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
And it is sad that once they "fix" the seedings that the best ball games will be played before the NBA Finals...

They should just seed the playoffs 1-16

Nah, I'm all for the East versus West thing. Sure, you don't always get the best Finals, but that would just change the game too much.

LilMissSPURfect
05-02-2006, 09:19 AM
8 can beat 1 too.
http://blogs.oc.edu/wes.mckinzie/archives/trophy_love_duncan_grab.jpg

La, la, la, la, la ... I'm not listening ... La, la, la, la, la,"

Solid D
05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
:rollin

1Parker1
05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
http://blogs.oc.edu/wes.mckinzie/archives/trophy_love_duncan_grab.jpg

La, la, la, la, la ... I'm not listening ... La, la, la, la, la,"