PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys add former SA Brackenridge star - other undrafted FAs

Solid D
05-02-2006, 06:13 AM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/14479576.htm

Posted on Tue, May. 02, 2006
By MAC ENGEL
FT. WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER
One day after completing their draft, the Cowboys signed or invited to minicamp a handful of undrafted rookie free agents. All are expected to participate in the rookie minicamp, which runs Thursday through Sunday.

Easily the most intriguing is former South Carolina running back Demetris Summers.
He led the Gamecocks in rushing in 2004 but was kicked off the team in March 2005 after testing positive for marijuana.

Summers, 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, averaged 5.1 yards per carry and was named to the SEC Coaches All-Freshman team in '03. In high school, he was a Parade All-American and rated the No. 1 running back in the nation by Tom Lemming's recruiting service.

Also signed or expected to attend the camp:

Receiver Sam Hurd, Northern Illinois. He signed a three-year deal. The 6-foot-4, 194-pounder from San Antonio caught 65 passes last season for 1,074 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Defensive back Quincy Butler, TCU.

Safety Darrell Brooks, Arizona. He was an All Pac-10 first-team selection last season.

Quarterback Jeff Mroz, Yale. After electing not to draft a quarterback, the Cowboys invited Mroz. Scouting reports noted good arm strength and accuracy, but the rest is a major work in progress. As a senior, he passed for 2,484 yards and 22 touchdowns and completed 59.3 percent of his passes.

Receiver Miles Austin, Monmouth. Apparently it was a phone call from coach Bill Parcells that convinced Austin to sign with the Cowboys. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Austin finished his collegiate career as the leader in every receiving category in school history.

Linebacker Kai Parham, Virginia.

Defensive back Anwar Phillips, Penn State.

Defensive tackle Steve Williams, Northwest Missouri State.

Solid D
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/443088.jpeg
Sam Hurd

Hometown: San Antonio, TX

High School: Brackenridge

Height / Weight: 6-4 / 194
Position: WR

(Nicknamed "The Birdman" at NIU)

2centsworth
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Kai Parham is a big name. Heard some good stuff about Miles Austin.

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Quarterback Jeff Mroz, Yale. After electing not to draft a quarterback, the Cowboys invited Mroz. Scouting reports noted good arm strength and accuracy, but the rest is a major work in progress. As a senior, he passed for 2,484 yards and 22 touchdowns and completed 59.3 percent of his passes.
That reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard. He did pretty well in his first start for the Rams.

scott
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Kai Parham is a big name. Heard some good stuff about Miles Austin.

Kai Parham I'm excited about. He was unable to crack 5.0 on his 40 at the combine, so that knocked him out of the draft - but he was productive at UVA.

gmanrulz
05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
what about that linebacker slay from texas tech?

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
what about that linebacker slay from texas tech?
Dwayne Slay isn't a LB, he is a S.

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Inside Linebacker | Junior | Virginia Kai Parham
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 5.03

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a solid frame...An excellent natural athlete with good speed...Outstanding pass rusher and blitzer...Strong and powerful...Solid tackler and a big hitter who can really lay the lumber...Does a great job versus the run...Very aggressive and plays downhill...Productive and made a lot of big plays...Intangibles and leadership skills are top-notch...Experienced...Played in a 3-4 defensive scheme under Al Groh which is all the rage in the NFL these days.

Weaknesses:
Lacks top instincts, especially for a middle linebacker...Does not change direction well...Can do a better job in coverage...Has some trouble working his way through traffic...Plays too high at times and needs some technique work...Skated by on his physical ability a lot in college...Will make too many mental mistakes.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Cavs...One of the elite prep recruits in the nation coming out of high school...Saw some action at defensive end in certain situations...Was overshadowed a bit by Ahmad Brooks but is a great prospect in his own right...Look for this guy to be real popular with teams that run the 3-4.

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Quincy Butler is also from San Antonio, he went to Roosevelt.

Quincy Butler

Position: CB
Class: Sr
School: TCU
Conference: Mountain West
Ht., Wt.: 6-0.5, 190
40 Time: 4.55

BIO: Junior college transfer who immediately moved into the starting lineup at TCU. All-Conference selection as a senior after totaling 53/5/8.

POSITIVES: Athletic defensive back with solid ball skills. Effective facing the quarterback and quick breaking to the throw. Fluid flipping his hips and loses nothing in transition turning to run with receivers. Aggressive, supports the run and works well with safeties. Effective pedaling in reverse and quickly gets his head back around, finding the ball.

NEGATIVES: Quick out of his backpedal and prefers to side shuffle. Lacks the great recovery speed. Does not display a decisive move to the ball and gives up positioning to opponents.

ANALYSIS: A zone cornerback with potential at safety, Butler has displayed progress the past two seasons and is a solid developmental prospect.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Safety | Senior | Arizona Darrell Brooks
Height: 6-0 3/8 | Weight: 198 | 40-Time: 4.64

Strengths:
Very tough and physical...Will throw his body around and make the big hit...Good in run support...Playmaker who is always around the action...Solid and reliable tackler...A hard worker with top intangibles...Experienced and a four-year starter.

Weaknesses:
Is not a great natural athlete...Lacks elite timed speed and quickness...Struggles in coverage...Ball skills and hands are questionable and he doesn't really pick off many passes...Doesn't have a lot of upside and might only be a backup as a pro.

Notes:
Brother, Leslie Brooks Jr., played football for UNLV...The type who does everything well but doesn't stand out in any one area...A productive college player who had his best season in '05 as a senior...Could maybe contribute in the right situation.

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Jeff Mroz

Position: QB
Class: Sr
School: Yale
Conference: Ivy League
Ht., Wt.: 6-4, 225
40 Time: 4.94

BIO: All-Conference selection as a senior after passing numbers of 59.3%/2484/22/14. Played primarily with the scout team before last year.

POSITIVES: Large pocket passer with an NFL arm. Patient, zips the ball into targets or gets rid of passes with a flick of the wrist. Sees the field, finds the open wideout and puts touch on throws. Puts deep passes in front of receivers and lets them run to the ball.

NEGATIVES: Has an elongated motion which slows the release of the ball. Must improve his pass placement and downfield accuracy. Tends to direct passes. Immobile and cannot escape the rush.

ANALYSIS: An intelligent quarterback with the ability to power the ball into receivers, Mroz offers a good degree of upside potential and is a solid developmental prospect.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Wide Receiver | Senior | Monmouth Miles Austin
Height: 6-2 1/8 | Weight: 215 | 40-Time: 4.47

Strengths:
Has great size...Knows how to use his big frame...Tough and strong...Has good hands...Displays excellent balls skills...Great leaper...Is not afraid to work the middle of the field...Hard worker with top intangibles...Was dominant at his level.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against elite competition...Is not very quick and doesn't play as fast as he times...Is not much of a deep threat...Is not a great blocker...Doesn't run great routes...Has some trouble off the line...Project who still needs some work.

Notes:
Monmouth’s career leader in every receiving category, with 150 receptions, 2,867 yards and 33 touchdowns...Has ideal measurables and might make for a good possession receiver...On the rise and one of the top sleepers in this entire draft.

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Cornerback | Senior | Penn St. Anwar Phillips
Height: 5-11 5/8 | Weight: 193 | 40-Time: 4.59

Strengths:
Has good size with long arms...Smooth athlete with fluid hips...Has solid speed and good range...Changes directions well...Very aggressive and will support the run...Has good ball skills and superb hands...Was picked on a lot and held up well...Has a lot of experience and was very productive throughout his career.

Weaknesses:
Needs to add some weight and bulk up...Very inconsistent and blows a lot of coverages...Needs to refine his technique...Lacks great recovery speed and can't afford mistakes...Could be more physical...Has to show more self-control and awareness on the field...Ran into trouble and was even suspended from school.

Notes:
Doesn't get nearly the attention his teammate Alan Zemaitis does but might be a better pro prospect and get drafted higher...Has the physical tools you look for but doesn't always play up to him...Could be a bit of a boom or bust prospect.

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Defensive Tackle | Senior | N.W. Missouri St. Steve Williams
Height: 6-2 3/4 | Weight: 314 | 40-Time: 5.02

Strengths:
Has very good size for the position and a solid frame...A good athlete...Very quick and explosive...Can penetrate and make plays in the backfield...Versatile and can possibly play defensive end in a 3-4 scheme...Still has some upside and potential.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against top competition...Is not very stout at the point...Is older than a normal prospect...Is not overly consistent...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Might have some character concerns...Dealt with some minor injuries.

Notes:
The older brother of former Purdue linebacker Kyle Williams....Began his career at Indiana in 2000 where he played in 11 games as a freshman, starting 1, and then transferred to Northern Illinois but didn't play football...Got back into the game in 2004 after taking two years off to care for his child...Intriguing late round project.

scott
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Inside Linebacker | Junior | Virginia Kai Parham
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 5.03

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a solid frame...An excellent natural athlete with good speed...

Now that is some fine journalism!

Horry For 3!
05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Now that is some fine journalism!
Maybe he is talking about football speed :lol or the combine's time was better

Solid D
05-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Nice homework Horry For 3! Props.

smoke1
05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I'd be surprised if any of these guys come close to making the team for the season. The Cowboys are much improved, and have way too much depth at running back and now receiver. They will only keep three RB - Jones, Barber III, and that lightning fast Thompson kid. Maybe add Polite to that for the FB spot.

Mr Dio
05-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I think could be a good reserve & IF motivated (unlike in college) could start in a yr or 2.

Taco
09-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Do you think his preformance last night was enough to make the team?

****-REC YDS TD LG
S. Hurd 6 110 0 33

I think so

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-01-2006, 04:18 PM
That TD drop might hurt him.

King
09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
That TD drop might hurt him.

I'd doubt it. He's shown a ton during the preseason. That just looked like dead legs. He should have caught it, but he just didn't look like he had the energy to get under it. They were killing Rector and Hurd in those last possessions.

BeerIsGood!
09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Hurd and Rector are neck and neck for the 4th WR spot. With the Cowboys running a two TE set they might only keep 4 - Glenn, TO, Crayton, and one of these two. After watching the 4 preseason games I can honestly say that I have no idea which one to keep. Parcells kept putting Green to return punts, so I am not sure which of these two would be the best return man. My guess is all things being equal the Cowboys will keep the one that is the best special teams player... it's a shame because the one that hits the waiver wires will surely get picked up by someone needing reciever depth.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Is Sam Hurd related to the Leroy Hurd who played for UTSA and played for the spurs summer league team?

kris
09-02-2006, 04:02 AM
I played basketball with Quincy Butler in my driveway when he had just been picked up by Roosevelt. I don't rememer him being Pro Football athletic, but I guess he developed.

Solid D
09-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Is Sam Hurd related to the Leroy Hurd who played for UTSA and played for the spurs summer league team?

I really don't know but I don't think so. LeRoy transferred in from Miami and I think he grew up in Mississippi. Sam went to Brack and has a younger brother going there who also is a pretty good WR on the football team.

LEONARD
09-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Skyler Green was cut...I think Hurd is on the team...hopefully Rector too...

Mr Dio
09-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Skyler Green was cut...I think Hurd is on the team...hopefully Rector too...

Gee, you think???
I would assume such a knowledgable football fan such as yourself would absolutely know. :lol

Solid D
09-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Hurd made the cut.

BeerIsGood!
09-04-2006, 12:40 AM
They kept both Hurd and Rector at the expense of cutting Green. Definitely the right move, but I'm a bit surprised that Parcells didn't get much return time on punts for Rector.

LEONARD
09-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Gee, you think???
I would assume such a knowledgable football fan such as yourself would absolutely know. :lol

Considering the FACT that all of the cuts were not announced when I posted that, it wouldn't have been cool to say that Hurd is DEFINITELY on the team and put out what could be false info. That's why I posted that I thought he would be...

Pure genius...

Solid D
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
They kept both Hurd and Rector at the expense of cutting Green. Definitely the right move, but I'm a bit surprised that Parcells didn't get much return time on punts for Rector.

They actually kept Hurd and Rector (and Austin) at the expense of Terrance Copper, not so much Green.

Green is primarily viewed as a Special Teams guy. He'll be developing now as a Practice Teamer.

Also, Parcells had some cool comments regarding Hurd. He said that because Sam applied himself and learned three different sets of position plays, that pretty much sealed the deal for him. Bill said Hurd is a smart kid...that he ought to be on the G.E. College Quiz Bowl. A reporter had to inform Bill that Allen Ludden was a host of that show, the G.E. College Bowl, that was on TV back in the 1950s and '60s (time warp). :lol

BeerIsGood!
09-05-2006, 11:43 AM
They actually kept Hurd and Rector (and Austin) at the expense of Terrance Copper, not so much Green.

Green is primarily viewed as a Special Teams guy. He'll be developing now as a Practice Teamer.

Also, Parcells had some cool comments regarding Hurd. He said that because Sam applied himself and learned three different sets of position plays, that pretty much sealed the deal for him. Bill said Hurd is a smart kid...that he ought to be on the G.E. College Quiz Bowl. A reporter had to inform Bill that Allen Ludden was a host of that show, the G.E. College Bowl, that was on TV back in the 1950s and '60s (time warp). :lol
I guess they feel Austin has a better upside than Copper, although Copper was a terrific special teams guy.

If it wasn't the 6th receiver slot taken by Austin that relegated Green to the practice squad was it the slot used by the 2nd kicker Suisham? Or was that slot slated for Pettiti until they realized they needed a kicker who can kick off past the other team's 15 yard line?

BeerIsGood!
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Actually, this was on the Cowboys website:

Kicking Concerns Affect Roster Decisions

Rob Phillips - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
September 4, 2006 7:12 PM

Mike Vanderjagt was bothered by a sore groin throughout preseason.

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells didn't want two kickers on his 53-man roster, but Mike Vanderjagt's groin injury left him no choice but to keep second-year veteran Shaun Suisham as insurance.

That caused a "domino effect" on the rest of the roster, including the release of fourth-round pick Skyler Green and veterans Rob Petitti and Terrance Copper. Green cleared waivers and was signed to the practice squad Monday, while Petitti and Copper were picked up by New Orleans.

"Sometimes you are forced to keep just numbers at a position because you don't really have enough," Parcells said. "And that's one of the hardest things and it's unfair, but it's usually just a temporary situation. Unfortunately with players like Petitti and Copper, when they go they're not going be around for the second time because people recognize them."

Meanwhile, Parcells is hoping Vanderjagt's recent kicking woes are just temporary.

Vanderjagt, who has been bothered by a sore groin throughout preseason, missed two potential game-winning field goals last Thursday against Minnesota and his lone kick-off attempt landed at the 12-yard line.

Suisham was solid on kickoffs throughout preseason, which helped his case for a roster spot with Vanderjagt still seemingly bothered by his groin.

"It's just the overall uncertainty," Parcells said. "When a guy says after the game he's not 100 percent, which he said, that concerns me. That's kind of what we had to do for right now.

"I know Mike came out and kicked 50 balls yesterday. He's making every effort to make any adjustments that are necessary. Not knowing the player very well, it's difficult for me to suggest anything to him about what to do."

While Parcells was able to get Suisham on the team's 53-man, roster, keeping him on the 45-man game-day roster will be even more difficult, and likely is holding out hope Vanderjagt can handle both chores.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-07-2006, 02:44 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/443088.jpeg
Sam Hurd

Hometown: San Antonio, TX

High School: Brackenridge

Height / Weight: 6-4 / 194
Position: WR

(Nicknamed "The Birdman" at NIU)
That guy used to play pick-up games were I played at. It used to be him and a whole lot of other people from Brack that would go there. I remember one day he went and was talking to one of his boys and they were talking about NIU and some other shit.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-07-2006, 02:48 AM
He would roll deep though. Every time they showed up there would be like 20 people all together puling up with all these cars. He wouldn't play that much maybe a game or two.